New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony LVI:S Has Left the Playground!

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    This video saddens me!

Spoiler
    Show
    Is... is that a FlutterBoo?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    I've seen it done better.
    (I'm sure I heard there was a version around somewhere of the whole double episode with this in place.)
    We shoulda posted our clips back during the "Dark vs. Grimdark" debate. Both to me seem like a pretty good example of that!
    Timing is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    [SPOILER]Awesome image I have to share.
    Spoiler
    Show
    One of the few times that Pinkie looks absolutely lovely in straight hair without the artist drawing her as a psychopath. I approve!

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    I wonder if the griffin/zebra societies also had a brush with that sort of stuff in the timeframe
    I can totally see Discord turning Zebra stripes to polkadots for the lulz.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    They forgot their Ye Olde Englishe along with everything else from Sombra's reign.

Then, once back to normal, they forgot to remember it again.
    "Hurray!" [/Nibblet]

It was probably something overlooked by the show writers, but I'm okay with that. Lacking "Ye Olde Englishe" hasn't detracted anything from the episodes.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

2. - Top - End - #902
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerlord View Post
    The Hub released a very short 15 second promo of the season as a whole. it's mostly stuff we've already seen in other promos for the season, except for one rather curious thing that we can see for a second or two. *SPOILERS-lite*
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, by the looks of things,the CMC have gone to the crystal empire. Either that, or one hell of a dream sequence. Either way, this should be interesting.
    Can't see the video, but the pic looks interesting.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutie Mark Crusader pet groomers turned treasure hunters... yay?
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

3. - Top - End - #903

Empress Trixie's "Rules of Engagement" in GalCiv2:
    (or, Orbital Friendship Cannons for Dummies)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dear Princess Luna,

A galactic Economic Boom occurred, which caused every empire’s income to increase by a factor of nearly *10*. This was a blessing for my empire because it meant an end to the Unicorn’s recession woes. It also meant that all the war-mongering nations now had the money to fund their war machines. And when a nation suddenly finds itself sitting on a large stockpile of bits, they tend to do dumb things.

Case in point: I had recently conquered the Jagged Knife planet of Jarvis IV and handed it over to the Resembool empire as a peace offering (The planet wasn’t worth much to me, but the brownie points I get for gifting are good for future technology trades).
    On the turn immediately after trading the planet, Resembool declared war on me because the battleship Discord had only just left planetary orbit. By Celestia’s Beard, give my battleship a chance to engage it’s Warp Drive!!

Well, since we’re both playing with full decks, I decided to entertain Resembool’s desire for war. I created three fleets (spending tons of bits to speed build them) and went after Resembool:

Pwny Fleet Trollestia: comprises of the battleships Celestia & Cadence, and 6 Mark II Thanqol fighters.
    Pwny Fleet Delancie: comprises of the battleship Discord, frigates Twixie & Rarijack, and 5 Mark II Thanqol fighters.
    Pwny Fleet Black Snooty: comprises of the battleship Nightmare Moon, frigates Flutterdash, CheeriMac, & DerpyWhooves, 3 Mark II Thanqol fighters, and four Constructor ships to build a waystation if needed.

Each fleet has a compliment of four drop ships for planetary invasions. This is pretty much the entirety of my military strength and I was hoping that Resembool’s fleets were smaller than mine. Turns out they were three times the size… but made of cardboard!

It is year 13 and the fleets have engaged Resembool at the following planets:
    Pwny Fleet Trollestia at Amalia V. Resulted in a complete curbstomp battle against outdated Resembool heavy fighters. Two of their ships didn’t even have weapons. What the flying feather was that about?

Pwny Fleet Delancie at Jarvis IV. While the planet itself was undefended, Resembool had a fleet of frigates nearby so we engaged them. This was a tougher battle, losing all 5 Thanqol fighters and taking moderate damage to thefrigate Rarijack. Still, a victory is a victory.

Pwny Fleet Black Snooty in deep space. This is the tricky fleet, sent out to find Resembool’s homeworld and lead a direct assault there. Thus far this fleet has engaged two small groups of Resembool frigates, but has only lost one Thanqol fighter. Long range sensors show that Black Snooty is quickly approaching a Resembool fleet containing two Battleships. This will likely involve a lot of stinging…

Your Great & Powerful Student,
    Trixie Lulamoon

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerlord View Post
    The Hub released a very short 15 second promo of the season as a whole. it's mostly stuff we've already seen in other promos for the season, except for one rather curious thing that we can see for a second or two. *SPOILERS-lite*
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, by the looks of things,the CMC have gone to the crystal empire. Either that, or one hell of a dream sequence. Either way, this should be interesting.
    I looked at the screen pic they put up there and Immediately thought "The Goonies". Oh man that brings back memories. Now I want to see the CMC and the pets reenact that movie as a fanfic.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

4. - Top - End - #904
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    ...three rings for the griffon kings under the sky,
    Seven for the dog-lords in their halls of stone,
    Nine for mortal ponies doomed to lie,
    One for the Chaos on his chocolate throne,
    In the land of madness where friendship dies,
    One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them,
    One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
    In the land of madness where friendship dies.
    Okay, that is unmigitated AWESOME.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-11-14 at 09:31 AM.

5. - Top - End - #905
    Firbolg in the Playground

...three rings for the griffon kings under the sky,
    Seven for the dog-lords in their halls of stone,
    Nine for mortal ponies doomed to lie,
    One for the Chaos on his chocolate throne,
    In the land of madness where friendship dies,
    One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them,
    One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
    In the land of madness where friendship dies.
    You know, those would be crowns of power instead of- *spits up coffee*
    TWILIGHT HAS ONE
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

6. - Top - End - #906
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dear Princess Luna,

A galactic Economic Boom occurred, which caused every empire’s income to increase by a factor of nearly *10*. This was a blessing for my empire because it meant an end to the Unicorn’s recession woes. It also meant that all the war-mongering nations now had the money to fund their war machines. And when a nation suddenly finds itself sitting on a large stockpile of bits, they tend to do dumb things.

Case in point: I had recently conquered the Jagged Knife planet of Jarvis IV and handed it over to the Resembool empire as a peace offering (The planet wasn’t worth much to me, but the brownie points I get for gifting are good for future technology trades).
    On the turn immediately after trading the planet, Resembool declared war on me because the battleship Discord had only just left planetary orbit. By Celestia’s Beard, give my battleship a chance to engage it’s Warp Drive!!

Well, since we’re both playing with full decks, I decided to entertain Resembool’s desire for war. I created three fleets (spending tons of bits to speed build them) and went after Resembool:

Pwny Fleet Trollestia: comprises of the battleships Celestia & Cadence, and 6 Mark II Thanqol fighters.
    Pwny Fleet Delancie: comprises of the battleship Discord, frigates Twixie & Rarijack, and 5 Mark II Thanqol fighters.
    Pwny Fleet Black Snooty: comprises of the battleship Nightmare Moon, frigates Flutterdash, CheeriMac, & DerpyWhooves, 3 Mark II Thanqol fighters, and four Constructor ships to build a waystation if needed.

Each fleet has a compliment of four drop ships for planetary invasions. This is pretty much the entirety of my military strength and I was hoping that Resembool’s fleets were smaller than mine. Turns out they were three times the size… but made of cardboard!

Pwny Fleet Trollestia at Amalia V. Resulted in a complete curbstomp battle against outdated Resembool heavy fighters. Two of their ships didn’t even have weapons. What the flying feather was that about?

Pwny Fleet Delancie at Jarvis IV. While the planet itself was undefended, Resembool had a fleet of frigates nearby so we engaged them. This was a tougher battle, losing all 5 Thanqol fighters and taking moderate damage to thefrigate Rarijack. Still, a victory is a victory.

Pwny Fleet Black Snooty in deep space. This is the tricky fleet, sent out to find Resembool’s homeworld and lead a direct assault there. Thus far this fleet has engaged two small groups of Resembool frigates, but has only lost one Thanqol fighter. Long range sensors show that Black Snooty is quickly approaching a Resembool fleet containing two Battleships. This will likely involve a lot of stinging…

Trixie Lulamoon

By the authority of Celestia, I now pronounce you as the leader of the Holy Astronautic Empire. Arise, Trixiemagne of Frankish ponies.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

7. - Top - End - #907
    Ettin in the Playground

TWILIGHT HAS ONE
    Still wouldn't work. It has to be rings. Well, Twilight may not have one, but Cadance has.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Is... is that a FlutterBoo?
    Yes, yes it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

9. - Top - End - #909
    Ogre in the Playground

Thirty pages in... four days?

@_@

What has science wrought?

10. - Top - End - #910
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Dear Princess Luna,

Trixie Lulamoon

Yet again Thanqols dying solves everything

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post

@_@

Ponies
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

11. - Top - End - #911
    Bugbear in the Playground

She's not angsty enough, hax enough, or sueish enough.
    In the immortal words of Rainbow Dash, she kinda is.
    Blue Star Topaz is my name
    Equestria's my station
    The Elements define my creed
    The Herd's my destination

12. - Top - End - #912
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    I thought Luna's speech was related to her being royalty. I'm pretty sure not everything spoke that way back then. Discord sure didn't, and he ruled for awhile.
    This is essentially my headcannon as well. Of course, I came to that conclusion partially because I'm writing a fic with several flashbacks to that era, and the thought of writing every character with that dialect was terrifying .
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

13. - Top - End - #913
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
    ...You think Twilight Sparkle is a Mary Sue? Or like one?

Aroo? @_@

14. - Top - End - #914
    Titan in the Playground

...You think Twilight Sparkle is a Mary Sue? Or like one?

Aroo? @_@
    One could make a good argument for Twilight being as close to a canon sue, as say, the Doctor is in his own show (or Sasuke - or Naruto himself, for that matter - in Naruto). This is not necessarily a bad thing (and Lix said sueish, not "sue", even canon Sasuke isn't quite a Gary Stu, risible a character as he is.)

To go back Lix's original comment, I think Twi is certainly hax enough...

(I mean, special magical talent that nopony else (living?) has, personal student of the Princess, copy magic by seeing it just once (which sparked this whole debate!) and reputedly the most powerful unicorn in Equestria? What more do you want? Yeah, if this was Pokemon, she'd be using Thunder as armour and "shooting for the horn" with Thunderbolt like nopony's business!)

Angsty... well, by Equestrian standards, maaaybe...!

Also, I still am totally seeing the "Shining-is-Itachi, massecre-was-just-a-practical-joke that Twisuke overreacted to, is willfully blocking it out, despite best efforts of parents" thing.

Besides, Kakashi has the sharigarn, and he's freakin' awesome.

Speaking of Epic LotR Pony...

They picked some good bits to parody there, hitting the emotional events, rather than the plot-based ones, as I might have expected. Very nicely and hilariously - and epically! - done.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-11-14 at 12:48 PM.

15. - Top - End - #915
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    One could make a good argument for Twilight being as close to a canon sue, as say, the Doctor is in his own show (or Sasuke - or Naruto himself, for that matter - in Naruto). This is not necessarily a bad thing (and Lix said sueish, not "sue", even canon Sasuke isn't quite a Gary Stu, risible a character as he is.)

(I mean, special magical talent that nopony else (living?) has, personal student of the Princess, copy magic by seeing it just once (which sparked this whole debate!) and reputedly the most powerful unicorn in Equestria? What more do you want? Yeah, if this was Pokemon, she'd be using Thunder as armour and "shooting for the horn" with Thunderbolt like nopony's business!)

Also, I still am totally seeing the "Shining-is-Itachi, massecre-was-just-a-practical-joke that Twisuke overreacted to, is willfully blocking it out, despite best efforts of parents" thing.

They picked some good bits to parody there, hitting the emotional events, rather than the plot-based ones, as I might have expected. Very nicely and hilariously - and epically! - done.
    Well, I suppose I've always associated the notion of Mary Sue with the desire of the author to live vicariously through the character. The thought of one of the writers on the show wanting to actually, ehem, be Twilight Sparkle seemed kind of silly to me, you know?

16. - Top - End - #916
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I suppose I've always associated the notion of Mary Sue with the desire of the author to live vicariously through the character. The thought of one of the writers on the show wanting to actually, ehem, be Twilight Sparkle seemed kind of silly to me, you know?
    Sue are often self-inserts in fanfics (principally where the term originates), but the use of the term has broadened to more generally, characters that are way-overpowered and/or taking the focus away from the other characters, or have other gratuitous flaws. (Wesley Crusher (From ST:TNG) is a commonly cited (perhaps a but unfairly) example.)

As always, wiki is your friend.

(And, before anyone gets pedantic and we get down to pointlessly arguing semantics, as Lix said, sueish, e.g. having some traits similar to a sue.)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-11-14 at 01:07 PM.

17. - Top - End - #917

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    By the authority of Celestia, I now pronounce you as the leader of the Holy Astronautic Empire. Arise, Trixiemagne of Frankish ponies.
    Um... yay?

I think in game I've been abbreviating the starship prefix as "UFS", Unicorn Federation of Stars. I was going to write it as the Trixie Imperial Magistrate, but that turned out to be sillier when I thought about it.

@_@
    I think it was a little more New Pony Season than science.
    I'm also afraid that this speed will keep going for a little while longer through the holiday period. When we're off from work/school and have nothing better to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Yet again Thanqols dying solves everything
    Indeed, I owe a bit of my victorious streak to their flexible (and economical) design.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

18. - Top - End - #918

GnomeWizardGuy

I've always found Sue-accusations in idyllic settings like Ponyville rather awkward. Saying that everyone likes her in a place where everyone likes everyone is rather silly, and claiming she is always a successful protagonist in a world where protagonists always succeed doesn't really provide any base.

Twilight does have significant faults, does encounter significant problems, and does have times where she is not the one solving the problems - or even is the one creating the conflict! This is pretty much the opposite of a Mary Sue, who by definition is liked to show that she is appealing, who is disliked only by unpleasant people, and whose faults and conflicts are just there to highlight her positive traits.

This doesn't mean Twilight doesn't have some hax powers (although we haven't seen enough for me to claim perfect magical retention - there are other possibilities) but that would just make her overpowered, possibly to the point of immersion-breaking. She's hardly the only character I've seen who is. I just don't like her being called "Sue-ish" for it, as having some strong abilities is really just tangential to being a Mary Sue.

[/rant]
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

19. - Top - End - #919
    Titan in the Playground

I could say all of the Mane characters are sueish.

Rainbow Dash is the fastest pegasus alive with a rainbow mane and can perform a stunt that was otherwise legendary.

Fluttershy can stare down dragons and even a cockatrice. She has a special bond with animals and is an amazing singer. Also she became a world famous model.

Rarity is incredibly beautiful with all the stallions just instantly falling in love with her. She's also very rich and can generally just talk anything into doing what she wants.

Pinkie Pie has strange powers that no other pony can do or understand. Everypony is her friend and nothing bad really happens to her.

Celestia is a immortal princess with a unique mane who has powers over the sun. And everypony loves and admires her.

I've always associated it with bad writing. If it fits then by definition it cannot be a Sue.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

20. - Top - End - #920
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
    Coming from Rainbow "I made the impossible possible" Dash, that statement is meaningless. Every single one of the mane 6 except possibly Rarity and Applejack have some impossible power or two.

Rainbow Dash has the Sonic Rainboom, is fast and strong enough to compete with Applejack on the ground , and is effectively indestructible (Sonic Rainboom into a barn? Totally okay!).

Fluttershy has the stare. That doesn't even need a discussion.

Pinkie Pie can apparently teleport, has hammer space, and has her pinkie senses.

Rarity is pretty, and Applejack is hardworking. Best super powers ever!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

21. - Top - End - #921
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    This doesn't mean Twilight doesn't have some hax powers (although we haven't seen enough for me to claim perfect magical retention - there are other possibilities) but that would just make her overpowered, possibly to the point of immersion-breaking. She's hardly the only character I've seen who is. I just don't like her being called "Sue-ish" for it, as having some strong abilities is really just tangential to being a Mary Sue.

[/rant]
    Sort of the point that was being got at that brought this whole thing up was she'd be no worse off than Naruto's various Sharigarn users (and blame Lix, she brought up "sueish", I was just trying to rationalise her use of it a bit!)

(And as I was trying to avoid, let's please not get bogged down arguing about the definition of "sue" and it's use, because it's an internet phrase and thus prone to a wide varity of interpretations (it's like the fanfic equivilent of DMPC or alignment debates, I think!), and I don't think it's worth us all arguing over...)

Twilight is, however, very probably at least as hax as Ash Ketchum.

This is not a bad thing.

At all.

Thunder-as-Armour was the most hilariously, utterly stupidly awesome thing Pokemon has ever done; I just about wet myself the first time I saw that, and for a Lich that takes some serious doing!
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-11-14 at 01:30 PM.

22. - Top - End - #922

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I could say all of the Mane characters are sueish.

Rainbow Dash is the fastest pegasus alive with a rainbow mane and can perform a stunt that was otherwise legendary.

Fluttershy can stare down dragons and even a cockatrice. She has a special bond with animals and is an amazing singer. Also she became a world famous model.

Rarity is incredibly beautiful with all the stallions just instantly falling in love with her. She's also very rich and can generally just talk anything into doing what she wants.

Pinkie Pie has strange powers that no other pony can do or understand. Everypony is her friend and nothing bad really happens to her.

Celestia is a immortal princess with a unique mane who has powers over the sun. And everypony loves and admires her.
    Now, see, this is exactly why I don't like the term "Sueish". You end up placing any kind of heroic, unusual, or just plain non-ordinary character into the group. Is Odysseus Sueish for surviving such Greek monsters? Is King Arthur Sueish for becoming king? Is Robin Hood Sueish for never being caught? Conan? Indiana Jones? The Three Musketeers?

There is a seriously large problem if entire genres of characters get clumped into such a negative term. Being strong doesn't make a character Mary Sue-like. Being unique, different, or interesting does not. It makes them an interesting protagonist. The problem with Mary Sues is that the aspects of their character remove all conflict within the story - Mary Sue is really a writing fault, regardless of what definition Wikipedia wants to give it. Calling something "Sueish" is implying that a character/story shares traits with Mary Sue writing, which is pretty negative for just saying some of a character's powers are not believable.

Nothing against Forum Explorer specifically; he just happened to bring up the point.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

23. - Top - End - #923
    Titan in the Playground

I personally find the term "sue" somewhat inflammatory. For one thing because it lacks a clear agreed-upon definition (having to read a lengthy wiki-page does not qualify as a clear definition). In addition to that, it's been used in ad hominem criticism so many times that when you use the term to refer to a character, most people take it to mean that you're insulting the writers of the work and making a blanket statement that the character is a bad character.*

Erikun makes most of the substantive points I want to make. But I really want to urge against use of the term because it just makes people talk about the term instead of any underlying issues.

I personally think Twilight Sparkle is a great character, and I find it interesting that she's much more powerful than most of the other characters but pointedly does not solve most of their problems. She certainly has the potential, especially in unchecked fan-fiction, to make several other characters obsolete by accomplishing many tasks through magic, but Equestria has been shown to pretty clearly not work that way, and in the canon magic has a way of not being applicable when it could otherwise be problematic.**

*Bleakbane, you obviously called yourself out as specifically NOT doing this, but be aware that there's a tension in the use of the term itself.
    **I prefer to explain this as magic being difficult to target, requiring concentration, etc. rather than just saying the writers hand-waived it.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

24. - Top - End - #924
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Now, see, this is exactly why I don't like the term "Sueish". You end up placing any kind of heroic, unusual, or just plain non-ordinary character into the group. Is Odysseus Sueish for surviving such Greek monsters? Is King Arthur Sueish for becoming king? Is Robin Hood Sueish for never being caught? Conan? Indiana Jones? The Three Musketeers?

There is a seriously large problem if entire genres of characters get clumped into such a negative term. Being strong doesn't make a character Mary Sue-like. Being unique, different, or interesting does not. It makes them an interesting protagonist. The problem with Mary Sues is that the aspects of their character remove all conflict within the story - Mary Sue is really a writing fault, regardless of what definition Wikipedia wants to give it. Calling something "Sueish" is implying that a character/story shares traits with Mary Sue writing, which is pretty negative for just saying some of a character's powers are not believable.

Nothing against Forum Explorer specifically; he just happened to bring up the point.
    Precisely. The term is far too inclusive to really be used as anything then a bad character. Unless the character is bad then you shouldn't bring the term up at all. Sueish is saying the character is badish.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

25. - Top - End - #925
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, that is unmigitated AWESOME.
    Thank you.

TWILIGHT HAS ONE
    Seems fair.

On sueish: I have no tolerance for Sasuke anymore. None. At all. Ever. He has survived plots that should have seen him dead six times over. Any time he's been about to lose, he's pulled a new move out of his x-dimensional butt and survived. (While Naruto spends an entire arc learning one move)
    My definition of sueish is 'The author seems to care more about giving them cool stuff and events than telling a good story.'
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

26. - Top - End - #926
    Bugbear in the Playground

On sueish: I have no tolerance for Sasuke anymore. None. At all. Ever. He has survived plots that should have seen him dead six times over. Any time he's been about to lose, he's pulled a new move out of his x-dimensional butt and survived. (While Naruto spends an entire arc learning one move)
    My definition of sueish is 'The author seems to care more about giving them cool stuff and events than telling a good story.'
    (Un?)official ponythread element of airships.

27. - Top - End - #927
    Ettin in the Playground

Best (fanmade) pony video?

Best (fanmade) pony video.

28. - Top - End - #928
    Titan in the Playground

Eh, I think up to the end of the Chunin Exam Arc he was still salvagable. With a lot of work. I think Itachi, world-class seven-asterisking moron that he was1, just broke him with that second... thingy which I can't be bothered to look up the name of. I've read enough Naruto fanfic to believe it is possible, though maybe not probable. (And also that any opportunity to mock him via parody should be relentlessly abused, because I'm pretty sure that would really, really, grind his gears is being laughed at and have his jumped-up-selfish-wankst mocked and belittled, because he's the sort of person now who totally deserves it.)

Also, I refuse to throw out as ridiculously awesome concept as the sharigarn just because the wielders apart from Kakashi are depicted as pants-on-head bonkers. (Seriously, there must have been a few sane ones at some point in Uchiha history, they were basically the Konoha police.)

Anyway, back to pony: no comment on that ludicrously awesome Pony LotR video link thing I posted earlier?

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post

I don't even know what Dota is, but that was nontheless quite impressive.

1I find Itachi's idiocy as indefensible as Sasuke's - arguably even more so, since Itachi is directly to blame. Sasuke may have chosen to be completely fraktarded, but Itachi was the one that made him into the sort of person that would cheerful make that choice.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-11-14 at 02:52 PM.

29. - Top - End - #929
    Titan in the Playground

Bonus points: Luna is rocking the looks and abilities of...well, Luna.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

30. - Top - End - #930
    Ettin in the Playground

Tell me my friends, what does a hero truly nee---

Awww, I got pinkie'd

Yes, it is indeed awesome! Love the Spike and Rarity bits.