New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1473
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony LVI:S Has Left the Playground!

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    ep
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wait wait, does that mean that Twilight has the power to banish Pinkie into a crazy mirror dimension at any point?
    ep
    Spoiler
    Show
    depends on the magic system. it seems to me that the universe doesn't like being messed with. once discord, sombra, or even twlilight stop using a spell, it stops working.
    if that's the case, then twilight was just dispelling some of the magic that let multiple pinkies exist. once there's only one, magic isn't working against reality anymore.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Batmare, obviously.

Spoiler
    Show
    It maybe somewhat evil of me, but I think there might be potential for mirror abuse, and not just the shenanigans way.

For example, grab a fairly innocent pony, perhaps Applebloom, and load her up with two saddlebags full of bits. Send her through the mirror ad nauseum. Collect the bits. Zap away the extra Appleblooms; you could set up a password to reveal the true one, like "Zecora." Crash the economy with your mountain of bits.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg4-gMW89E0
    Spoiler
    Show
    Did someone says inflation by too many bits? We need Pony adaption of this episode.

I kinda like Duck Tales, especially teaching children about the basics of Economy.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    S3.3 Comment:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I can't wait for animated gifs of the tick-tock head. It make a great "Time for Ponies!" image.

Also, Nana Pie was a gypsy. I'm pretty sure of it.
    Season 3 episode 3 spoiler
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nana is a term for grandmother, so Nana Pie and Granny Pie are probably the same pony.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    S3E3 - First thoughts (on the full episode)
    This was a fun episode, I quite enjoyed it.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a little concerned that apparently Pinkie's antics are now real phenomena that the other ponies acknowledge as real, as opposed to comedy effects that only we see, or things that are only in the minds of other ponies. Unless only the clones, being magical creations, can actually do some of these things? I never liked the idea that Pinkie actually does break the fourth wall and defies the pony laws of physics/magic, I always prefered to think she's just a silly pony but still a perfectly ordinary pony with no strange abilities (aside from her Pinkie Sense, which my headcanon says is just Pinkie being secretly a super genius able to correlate the tiniest of clues and hints subconsciously in order to make predictions), and that all her fourth-wall-breaking and stuff is only on screen, only for us, and not how the other ponies actually see it.

[ ... ]

So apparently turning an apple into an orange is way harder than turning anything else into an orange, or turning an apple into a chariot and mice into horses. Tells us something about how magic works in Equestria, perhaps?
    Season 3 episode 3 spoiler (sorta)
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is a world where inhabitants can use literal magic, fly, sleep on clouds, move faster than the sound barrier under their own muscle power, produce light while doing the same, and run full-force into solid rock without injury. We either need to assume that some of the stuff on the show is just there for visual gags, or assume some really lenient laws of physics.

And as for apples and oranges, it seems like Applejack's family feud is so strong is affects the rest of reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Kd7sov View Post
    "Too Many Pinkie Pies". Sometimes just one is more than enough...

Spoiler
    Show
    Quick, fandom! Which Daring Do is that?

Did she just ask who Applejack was? Does that mean this is mirrorworld thing going on?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Looks like Sapphire Stone again.

Listen again. "Pinkie Pie" said she was going to Applejohn's barn raising.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerlord View Post
    EDIT: Final thoughts!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Also, are the two other members of the Apple family we saw new background ponies, or have we already seen them?
    Spoiler
    Show
    If I am recalling right, one is Apple Fritter, one of the ponies that Applejack introduced in the first episode. I don't recognize the other right off hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    New episode:

Spoiler
    Show
    Things that stood out:
    Orange-d animals are apparently still sentient.
    Not really episode-related anymore:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Now we need a story where Equestria gets crossed with a world full of sentient oranges.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Titan in the Playground

First off then, episode thoughts:

Spoiler
    Show
    That was an interesting episode. It started off fairly obviously going down the light-hearted silliness route, and I thought it was going to be just an okay episode, and was a bit disappointed they'd left out some last season's character development.

But the it got a bit further in, and when Pinkie started to get a bit shaken by what was going on, it moved a bit further into not-quite-fridge-horror. The mirror clearly only makes things that are imperfect copies - the impression I got was they were mentally a lot simpler, both in terms of retained memories and a charactured personality. (One wonders if the mood the user is in when they made the first copy has anything to do with it.) Though the copies themselves don't appear to suffer from any noticable replicative fading. It also gave Pinkie a solid glance at what she's like from other people's view, and it seemed to rattle her a bit. And the impeding danger of her own... death? Erasure? Was a little bit creepy. (I wouldn't be at all surprised if, before long, we see someone explore what happened if they did send the real Pinkie into the mirror.)

Overall, a fairly average, fluffy episode, but one that nonetheless managed to show that Pinkie, while still being physics-defying Pinkie (that slows fall into water; she is totally a psion, I swear) but that, at the end of the day, she has grown a bit since the start of the show.

Incidently, was that Fancy Pants in the Ponyville crowd, whose hat a Pinkie jumped out of?

Also, Spike locates the day-saving-book... Stepping up his game this season, ain't he?

Angry Fluttershy - scary! (Well, relatively speaking...)

This also seems to indicate there's no overarching story to this season, though I'm still hedging my bets we may not have seen the last of Sombra1.)

Right, back through the thread, and then maybe a report from Princess C...

1In case you're wondering why I haven't reviewed that second Sombra story you guys linked, it's very simple; as it concentrated solely on the OC, it never actually got as far as saying anything about Sombra, and it was sufficiently purple-prose dull I wasn't going to subscribe to more of that bilge, and it didn't give me enough to work with. (I'll still count it towards the total, though. Which is, to my great surprise, still only two, 6/14 days in.)

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Ogre in the Playground

New episode:

Spoiler
    Show
    Anyone know if that's the same Daring-Do book that Rainbow read in Read it and Weep?

More Apple family, but alas, no voices. Not even anything from Big Mac and Applebloom.

All in all, rather meh. Not too impressed so far this season.

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nana is a term for grandmother, so Nana Pie and Granny Pie are probably the same pony.
    Spoiler
    Show
    one would be her maternal granny the other her paternal granny

Not really episode-related anymore:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Now we need a story where Equestria gets crossed with a world full of sentient oranges.
    Spoiler
    Show
    so long as it isnt the world of Annoying Orange
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Ogre in the Playground

Future episodes:

Spoiler
    Show
    One Bad Apple: The Cutie Mark Crusaders are crushed when Apple Bloom’s cousin, Babs Seed, rejects their invitation to become a fellow Crusader and instead becomes a bully determined to make their lives miserable

Sounds good. New Apple family member, plus good chance of featuring all three CMC.

Sleepless in Ponyville: Scootaloo begins to have nightmares after hearing frightful campfire stories.

Um....ok. Been begging for a Scootaloo story all this time, and this sounds so...generic. I got a bad feeling about it.

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Ogre in the Playground

New episode was written by Dave Polsky, who also wrote Pinkie Keen and Over a Barrel. Just a tiny factoid for your random enjoyment.
    Ep. 3
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hmm. Much better fare for him. I have a few nitpicks, but I liked it overall. There's one line I would have liked to have been added to make the clone-dispelling a tad less creepy.

"What happens if we use the spell on the REAL Pinkie Pie?"
    "... it doesn't say. I think it should be okay though."
    "Do you really want to find out?"
    "Good point. Guess we need a plan B."

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Titan in the Playground

Thread responses: unless otherwise noted, episode spoilers.

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    S3:

Spoiler
    Show
    I have to say, I love this episode. Not only does it highlight all of the antics of Pinkie Pie at her finest, but it's one where Pinkie Pie actually learns something.

Throughout the series, Pinkie has been more of a narrative force than an actual character for me. This is due to a simple fact; she's almost never wrong. To me, a character needs to have flaws, to make mistakes, to grow. The only time we've ever seen Pinkie be flat out wrong is Party of One and now, this episode.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I dunno, I thought she had some development in Baby Cakes, where she actually started to show some responscibility. But yeah, I like that she's not a one-dimensional Looney Tunes caricature, as she was when she started. A lot of the fandom play that up too much, and it just feels wrong to me.

S3E3 - First thoughts (on the full episode)
    This was a fun episode, I quite enjoyed it.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a little concerned that apparently Pinkie's antics are now real phenomena that the other ponies acknowledge as real, as opposed to comedy effects that only we see, or things that are only in the minds of other ponies. Unless only the clones, being magical creations, can actually do some of these things? I never liked the idea that Pinkie actually does break the fourth wall and defies the pony laws of physics/magic, I always prefered to think she's just a silly pony but still a perfectly ordinary pony with no strange abilities (aside from her Pinkie Sense, which my headcanon says is just Pinkie being secretly a super genius able to correlate the tiniest of clues and hints subconsciously in order to make predictions), and that all her fourth-wall-breaking and stuff is only on screen, only for us, and not how the other ponies actually see it.

That this episode seems to suggest it's real bothers me, but at this point I'm thinking there's the show and then there's what Equestria and the ponies ought to be like in a more realistic/serious
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like I say, it's easily explained as her simply being (unconsciously) psionic, without magic-psionics transparency being enabled. Pinkie just knows she can do stuff, she doesn't really twig she's subconsciously using telekinesis, translocation or summoning - not too mention her limited precognition - and because Equestria is a place where real magic is so strong and so obvious, because her powers don't create a lot of light and show like magic does (and doesn't register on the magic detection systems), the ponies don't recognise it for what it is. (Heck, it's possible Pinkie may be the first (or one of very, very few) a phenominon so rare that even Celestia hasn't realised that it is a phenominon, not just some eccentricites (and to be fair, she's not been around Pinkie enough to perhaps realise what she can do.)

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    When I see the new episode about Pinkie Pie,
    Spoiler
    Show
    It showed the positive side of having a flaw as a balance and deconstructing flanderization. If it wasn't for Pinkie Pie's "other" side, she would be sent to the pond accidentally.
    P.S- Thumbs up if you are smiling to see G3 Pinkie Pie getting zapped.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, that's sort of what I meant earlier. Exaggerting Pinkie to the point she's just 100% all the time makes her less of a character and more of a plot device (which, prior to the penultimate episode of season one, there were a fair few accusations of.) Which is why I like the fact that she has limitations (like last week when she said even she couldn't keep partying forever), because it keeps her grounded to being a character.

To be fair to the fandom fics writers, though, keeping the right balance is extremely difficult.

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Titan in the Playground

Season 3 episode 3 spoiler (sorta)
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is a world where inhabitants can use literal magic, fly, sleep on clouds, move faster than the sound barrier under their own muscle power, produce light while doing the same, and run full-force into solid rock without injury. We either need to assume that some of the stuff on the show is just there for visual gags, or assume some really lenient laws of physics.

And as for apples and oranges, it seems like Applejack's family feud is so strong is affects the rest of reality.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The problem is that Pinkie's antics are intentionally and very blatantly completely against even the magic of Equestria, it doesn't fit the setting unless that setting is a cartoon show on TV. Nopony wonders that Dash can fly or even perform a Sonic Rainboom, or sleep on clouds, or that Twilight can perform magic tricks, but they do wonder about Pinkie doing things that frankly only make sense if the whole thing is a cartoon, and the characters should not be aware that they are living in a cartoon!

It works because we're watching a cartoon, but the moment the characters actually acknowledge it as something real, within the setting, it doesn't work any more and instead conflicts with the setting.

Consider trying to treat the setting seriously and having Pinkie be able to do completely stupid things that should only happen in a silly cartoon and which apparently utterly defies the world view of all other characters. Suddenly you're not telling a story in a meaningful setting, but some weird, nonsensical bit of fiction in a silly cartoon setting.

Now, if you want to say that Pinkie descends from a long line of gypsies and thus has some sort of gypsy magic, that's fine if you can explain it and make it fit into the setting. But having Pinkie pie defy everything known about the setting and having the other ponies acknowledge this feat of reality defying is simply wrong.

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Dude, I grew up on 1980 Galactica. Bad though it may have been in hindsight, it at least did SOME things right.

1980 BSG was a low bar, but at least it was above ground.
    No, no. I don't mean original BSG. I mean the sequel series, Galactica 1980. That thing was vile.
    Blue Star Topaz is my name
    Equestria's my station
    The Elements define my creed
    The Herd's my destination

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

so i wonder about the massive increase in traffic this story
    http://www.fimfiction.net/story/2232...ches-Paint-Dry
    has undoubtedly experienced today 8)
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    The problem is that Pinkie's antics are intentionally and very blatantly completely against even the magic of Equestria, it doesn't fit the setting unless that setting is a cartoon show on TV. Nopony wonders that Dash can fly or even perform a Sonic Rainboom, or sleep on clouds, or that Twilight can perform magic tricks, but they do wonder about Pinkie doing things that frankly only make sense if the whole thing is a cartoon, and the characters should not be aware that they are living in a cartoon!

It works because we're watching a cartoon, but the moment the characters actually acknowledge it as something real, within the setting, it doesn't work any more and instead conflicts with the setting.

Consider trying to treat the setting seriously and having Pinkie be able to do completely stupid things that should only happen in a silly cartoon and which apparently utterly defies the world view of all other characters. Suddenly you're not telling a story in a meaningful setting, but some weird, nonsensical bit of fiction in a silly cartoon setting.

Now, if you want to say that Pinkie descends from a long line of gypsies and thus has some sort of gypsy magic, that's fine if you can explain it and make it fit into the setting. But having Pinkie pie defy everything known about the setting and having the other ponies acknowledge this feat of reality defying is simply wrong.
    S3e3
    Spoiler
    Show
    But Pinkie has been doing this since the very first episode. We either have to acknowledge them all as visual gags purely for the audience - where Pinkie dashing in the air, laughing away faces on trees, blowing fingers on her hooves, or making G3 faces are just audience-references for the silly things Pinkie is doing - or we acknowledge them all as reality-warping capabilities that Pinkie has possessed the whole time.

I'm just not seeing Pinkie's antics this time, especially Pinkie responding to Pinkie's antics, is any different than Pinkie's anitics every other time.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Barbarian in the Playground

S3E3
    Spoiler
    Show
    EXISTENTIAL CRISIS

I'm wondering how Pinkie whistled using a hoof. Somehow it's less weird that she can slow her dive than whistle without fingers.
    Okay, Pinkie Pie's, uh, exuberance is so well known to the ponies that even her closest friends don't think the depressed one in sitting on the side filled with self-doubt is the real Pinkie?
    Twilight making the Pinkies sit reminds me of a statement from the Discworld series saying that dogs, no matter how they think otherwise, reflexively respond to a stern human voice telling them to "SIT!"
    Last edited by Dirtytabs; 2012-11-17 at 01:51 PM.
    Blargh slaves crystals crystals blargh zimmerwald1915. Internets: 3
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Fedora View Post
    Dirtytabs, Dirtytabs
    Friendly Ponythread Dirtytabs
    To her friends she's a gem
    She makes lovely art for them
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I don't always save pony images, but when I do, they're usually DirtyTabs.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    +100 Exp for Dirtytabs.

15. - Top - End - #1215

The same thing everyone else is spoiler boxing:
    Spoiler
    Show

Solid Episode! Had a big stupid grin on face the entire time. The test at the end was a bit odd when they could have just quizzed the Pinkies about her life rather than 'if you get distracted Twilight will send you to the cornfield the pond' but I'm not gonna complain

Another episode, another mysterious book that they spend just enough time on to make it seem like foreshadowing.

Also, Granny Pie knew about a secret cloning pond even Twilight had never heard of, and she taught Pinkie 'Giggle at the Ghosties.' Was Pinkie's grandmother some sort of badass adventurer in her day?
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Titan in the Playground

S3e3
    Spoiler
    Show
    But Pinkie has been doing this since the very first episode. We either have to acknowledge them all as visual gags purely for the audience - where Pinkie dashing in the air, laughing away faces on trees, blowing fingers on her hooves, or making G3 faces are just audience-references for the silly things Pinkie is doing - or we acknowledge them all as reality-warping capabilities that Pinkie has possessed the whole time.

I'm just not seeing Pinkie's antics this time, especially Pinkie responding to Pinkie's antics, is any different than Pinkie's anitics every other time.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's different because Dash actually acknowledges that this is real, that it is a thing (the dive). Now, you could probably ignore the rest because none of the ponies react to it (that I remember, off the top of my head), but Dash asking "how did you do that?" tells us that we have no good reason to believe that her friends don't also notice all the rest (and just don't ask about it on screen). That's what has me concerned.

Pinkie having magic/psionics/whatever would be fine if it was presented as such and made to fit within the setting, but it's blatantly not. It is intentionally presented and now acknowledge IC as the utter reality defying cartoon physics that it is.

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    The same thing everyone else is spoiler boxing:
    Spoiler
    Show

Solid Episode! Had a big stupid grin on face the entire time. The test at the end was a bit odd when they could have just quizzed the Pinkies about her life rather than 'if you get distracted Twilight will send you to the cornfield the pond' but I'm not gonna complain

Another episode, another mysterious book that they spend just enough time on to make it seem like foreshadowing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, that bothered me a lot. I don't even see how Twilight would know that the real Pinkie would even win the "quiz". There was also the fact that "well, only one Pinkie is acting depressed that she messed up all her friends' lives." Hey, maybe it's her? How did anyone know the real Pinkie would watch paint dry?

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Titan in the Playground

HAH! I have the solution to my problem with Pinkie Pie's antics, and the perfect explanation for everything crazy she does!

Pinkie is an earth pony, so of course she does Earth Magic and not unicorn magic! You know, the kind of magic that real-world magicians do which seems impossible and unbelievable to most observers, but once you know the trick it's just that ... a trick.

S3E3
    Spoiler
    Show
    If Dash knew the trick to the slow-dive, she'd agree that it was simple and nothing unusual, but she doesn't know the trick so it seems impossible.

Of course, the sad thing is that this is probably not the show's explanation, so my concern still remains even if I can sort of explain it away.

19. - Top - End - #1219

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, that bothered me a lot. I don't even see how Twilight would know that the real Pinkie would even win the "quiz". There was also the fact that "well, only one Pinkie is acting depressed that she messed up all her friends' lives." Hey, maybe it's her? How did anyone know the real Pinkie would watch paint dry?
    S3E3:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I actually have an answer to that. The Mirror Pool copies the reflection of the character. The clones created by it are by their very nature shallow copies, extremely "flanderized" version of the character. Clones created from other clones, even moreso. Which is why the final choice was between two Pinkies - one real, and the one clone whom Pinkie briefed on all her friends.

The test was to see which Pinkie had the depth to focus on something boring for the sake of her friends, something that only the real Pinkie possessed. At least, that's my take on it.

As for the antics, I have to agree that the physics-defiance was strong here. Gypsy magic as a stronger form of the Earth ponies' intrinsic bond with nature seems to be the only explanation. We can only hope the show will at some point explain it properly.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

20. - Top - End - #1220

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    so i wonder about the massive increase in traffic this story
    http://www.fimfiction.net/story/2232...ches-Paint-Dry
    has undoubtedly experienced today 8)
    You can actually click on the 'stats' tab on the story page and see the spike in traffic. It was getting about 30 hits a day for the last week, but it's had about 750 hits in the last 7 hours.

I read it before it was cool
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Titan in the Playground

So, I managed to find a nice, small alternate planet, with a nice relative time-acceleratation in which to send Celestia for her little sojourn. I thought I ought to go along myself, too, just to um guard her. Or something. Not at all so that I could learn how best to crush a planet beneath my booted heel while laughing later down the line. Not at all.

The Fifth Equestrian Civilisation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dear Twilight Sparkle,

My faithful student, I hope that you and Luna are managing in Equestria alright! I know it was difficult to ask you, but after a thousand years, I really did need a change of pace.

Even if it is doing the same job for a bunch of hairless apes! But Commadore Bleakbane is right, they do desperately need our help. (He's come along to advise me and... liason with the humans.)

We started out in new Canterlot. We were quite far north, and out first band of intrepid scouts soon found the ice-cap not far from us. We were surrounded by forest, and so even when I organised the first bands of workers, they couldn't do much until I and Bleakbane had explained at great length concepts like "wheels" and "blades" and "not eating rocks." We used a carrot and stick method, in the end - I offered them carrots, and Bleakbane hit them with a big stick when they tried to eat the rocks instead. I feel a bit guilty that I don't feel at all sorry for them, but the poor ape dears are quite, quite stupid...

Our plans of early exploration and expansion were slowed when we found only one set of ancient ruins, but instead encampments of brutes, who attacked our band of warriors, who had to fight them off. Well, that's what Bleakbane says they attacked first, though I suspect that to be a lie, of sorts... In any case, he did a lot of screaming and raging when it took several attacks before we had finally scattered even the first group of barbarians.

Our southern expansion was hampered by two city states (Hanoi and Yereven) being rather close, and beyond that, the Songhai, who still don't want to be friends, despite numerous offers.

But I persevered, and soon brought about a golden age by the time of 1520BC of the local calendar (according the Bleakbane - the actual locals called it Many Cold Time After Talky Horse Came, until he educated them on numbers and time via use of a technique he calls percussion learning. He says it is an advanced form of educatiative science, developed over hundreds of years of careful by Aotrs study. I rather think it is just beating them over the head with a rock until they get it right, but whatever - it seems to be working...)

A few years later, we raised some pyramids, which looked really rather nice. I'ts not a patch on the real Canterlot, of course, but it's a start. (In fact, I considered it an achievement we managed to get something as simple geometry into their heads - you should have seen some of the things the architechs - and I use the term loosely, by dear student! - came up with to start with...! My favourite was the design that was exactly the shape of a...thingy. Bleakbane, however, didn't see the funny side.)

You will be pleased to know our next task was erecting a great library, which we filled with all the knowledge we lay our hands on, plus a great deal of editions of the Beano, because Bleakbane was running out of room in his sanctum and wasn't going to get rid of them. Oddly enough, they seem to have gone down quite well with the local populace, which just goes to show...

At more or less the same time, I decided that we should start gently encouraging our new subjects to be a bit more respectful towards me, whereas Bleakbane told them he'd pull their eyeballs out of their nostrils if they didn't start worshipping me, which I thought was a bit gruesome. But fair. So new Equestria started down the path of piety, albeit with a lot of prodding, shouted directions and occasional physical violence.

We had explored our small continent, and eventually sent our second batch of settlers to found Manehatten, some distance away. (Bleakbane screamed blue murder about how far apart our cities had to be, given the proximity of the city-states and the small size of the continent.)

By 900 BC, we encountered the Polynesians, lead by Kamehameha, which for some reason Bleakbane found both hilarious and disturbing. They wanted to set up an embassy, which we agreed to, and over the following years, they gradually became friends. (It was as well, as when I first mentioned my particular speciality as a ruler, Bleakbane had a bit of a screaming fit about efficiency, and yelled about how "that was no way to run a country!" and optimisation until he had to go and have a bit of a lie down.)

A mere century later (how the years just fly by!), I had firmly established myself as the Goddess of Love, on Bleakbane's grugding advice, muttering about "best in the dreadful circumstances."

We had our first real setback in 575BC when the Songhai built Stonehenge, just before Canterlot did. I thought that was rather clever of them, but Bleakbane had another long screaming fit, and then went away for a while. When he came back, his eyeglow was twitching a bit, and he was muttering about finding iron with which to make "special gifts with which to bequeath to Askia at velocity..."

He'd brought a map back, after sending out a lot of prospectors, and having finally got the hang of iron (which took a long time - it took abou twenty years before I could stop them trying to drink the molten metal or use it as a dipping sauce) we sent out a new set of colonists into the western promentary, which was all tundra forest, but had several sources of iron. The Polynesians founded a new town quie close to where we wanted to place ours, but Bleakbane had our scouts and warriors stand on the coast and shout abuse until they went a bit further down the coast. I noticed his eyeglow was twitching again. He really ought to get that seen too...

So, Cloudsdale was founded, and we entered another golden age. The Songhai built some lovely Hanging Gardens around 200 BC, but Bleakbane started muttering about how they would get theirs soon enough.

And just recently, by dear Twilight, we had finally achieved enough divine power that I was able to channel it properly again, asn we founded Celestianity. I wasn't too sure about the name, but Bleakbane said it was fine. (He seemed a bit distracted at the time, though, when I asked him what we should call it; he was pouring over maps of the Songhai lands and diagrams of what looked like catapults and cackling manically.)

I decided to use my new-found power to enrich all the plant life, to give us all nicer food, and to spread some more beauty into the world. I think making us the envy of the world, a land of artists and beauty is the best way to show these poor monkeys how they should behave, though Bleakbane appears to think it would be better to be slap people upside the head until they build faster or until they have scientific revelations, but he's agreed to go my way for the moment.

I hope to hear from you soon, my faithful student, and with luck I shall be able to write to you again myself!

Your loving mentor,

Princess Celestia.

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Ogre in the Playground

Ugh, one other thought on new episode:

Spoiler
    Show
    Until now, Pinkie's antics have all been ignored, in a sense nobody calls her out on "how did you do that?" But, we saw Rainbow Dash address the fact she froze mid jump into the water, and even ask "how did you do that?". So, what now? Are we going to find out that Pinkie really has some magic, something that allows her to do this? The show's continuity would expect an explanation.

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Titan in the Playground

HAH! I have the solution to my problem with Pinkie Pie's antics, and the perfect explanation for everything crazy she does!

Pinkie is an earth pony, so of course she does Earth Magic and not unicorn magic! You know, the kind of magic that real-world magicians do which seems impossible and unbelievable to most observers, but once you know the trick it's just that ... a trick.
    Isn't that more or less what I said, only replacing "psionics" with "Earth Pony magic?"

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
    No, no. I don't mean original BSG. I mean the sequel series, Galactica 1980. That thing was vile.
    OH!

Oh, right!

Yes. That was crap!

(Not sure it was strictly speaking worse than the new BSG, because at least the pilot of BSG1980 series (which was shown as a movie a few times and I remember watching) did at least have one or two dogfights in it (in which you could at least see what was going on), which made it... watchable. (I will watch a lot of crap for a dogfight.) But yeah.)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-11-17 at 02:23 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Titan in the Playground

Isn't that more or less what I said, only replacing "psionics" with "Earth Pony magic?"
    Yeah, it is, which is why I added the note at the bottom. I probably made it sound more revolutionary and great than it actually is. Sorry 'bout that, I got carried away by a sudden idea.

I like it a little better than psionics or actual magic for Pinkie, but the problem remains that this is just another attempt to explain things away and it doesn't change the show. The show still presents Pinkie with reality defying powers and no explanation for it whatsoever.

25. - Top - End - #1225

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    S3E3:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I actually have an answer to that. The Mirror Pool copies the reflection of the character. The clones created by it are by their very nature shallow copies, extremely "flanderized" version of the character. Clones created from other clones, even moreso. Which is why the final choice was between two Pinkies - one real, and the one clone whom Pinkie briefed on all her friends.

The test was to see which Pinkie had the depth to focus on something boring for the sake of her friends, something that only the real Pinkie possessed. At least, that's my take on it.

As for the antics, I have to agree that the physics-defiance was strong here. Gypsy magic as a stronger form of the Earth ponies' intrinsic bond with nature seems to be the only explanation. We can only hope the show will at some point explain it properly.
    S3E3
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not only that, the reflection of Pinkie Pie was also the fact that Pinkie's state right then was fun focused. She made these clones just to have fun with multiple friends and each clone was focused 100% on fun.

So the Mirror didn't flanderize, it just literally copied Pinkie Pie as she was at that moment, her mind filled with having "Fun".

26. - Top - End - #1226
    Titan in the Playground

Random pony destiny generator.

I link this, as I can totally see you lot going bonkers over it. (And it does generate some hilarious results...) Have fun...

I better head back and keep an eye on Princess C for a bit...

27. - Top - End - #1227
    Titan in the Playground

What's your Little Destiny?
    Spoiler
    Show

I ... think that should be "Match Mares" not "Hatch Mares". That'd actually make much more sense for me

Edit: Pinkie'd
    Last edited by Deadly; 2012-11-17 at 02:35 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1228

Random pony destiny generator.

I link this, as I can totally see you lot going bonkers over it. (And it does generate some hilarious results...) Have fun...

I better head back and keep an eye on Princess C for a bit...
    I, Shining Luna the Adorable Salesman, am destined to Bake the Crystal Heart.

Seems legit. This thing is too much fun

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Troll in the Playground

Whelp, there's no way I'm gonna watch episode 3 until Wednesday at the earliest, so go ahead and watch this statement get avalanched.

It came to mind last night that if Cadence hadn't gone without food protecting the Crystal Empire, Shining Armor might not have been able to throw her well enough to save Spike. That's... An even worse accidental message than Applebuck Season was going to be.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

30. - Top - End - #1230
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    Whelp, there's no way I'm gonna watch episode 3 until Wednesday at the earliest, so go ahead and watch this statement get avalanched.

It came to mind last night that if Cadence hadn't gone without food protecting the Crystal Empire, Shining Armor might not have been able to throw her well enough to save Spike. That's... An even worse accidental message than Applebuck Season was going to be.

Dear Princess Celestia,

"Today I learned that anorexia is ok, because sooner or later, someone's gonna need to sling you like a bullet"

You know, Friendship is Witchcraft intends on doing the wedding episode, wonder if they want to do that one too. Just for that line.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-11-17 at 02:43 PM.