New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1473
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony LVI:S Has Left the Playground!

Quote Originally Posted by HamHam View Post
    The Cider episode is bad because of it's complete lack of understanding of economics and how flagrant it is in that ignorance. I could almost forgive it because of it's great song and so forth but then AJ has that smug bit about already knowing the lesson at the end and I just want to punch her in the face.

They should have just driven a harder bargain with the Flim Flam brothers to begin with, and made bank. Instead...
    Then again, backstabbing from Flim Flam Brothers, and it's a kid show since children (Not us) can't grasp the advanced subject like economics! I think Duck Tales will hold on to the title as a show that is able to teaching kids about economics (Like Inflation caused by excessive coins).
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Troll in the Playground

Filly Twilight.
    Spoiler
    Show

Rarity.
    Spoiler
    Show

That is all.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Then again, backstabbing from Flim Flam Brothers, and it's a kid show since children (Not us) can't grasp the advanced subject like economics! I think Duck Tales will hold on to the title as a show that is able to teaching kids about economics (Like Inflation caused by excessive coins).
    Pretty sure kids can understand "Okay, so we give you half the money but sell twice as many ciders, so we made the same amount!"

And the strange Luddite message the episode ends up with is not something I want kids to be learning.
    Last edited by HamHam; 2012-11-18 at 06:39 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    No, I meant AJ picking first means she gets better half, and ponies go to her first, not to Riches. She still manages to lose this advantage somehow, no?

The prototype, yes, but seeing Equestria has large magical industry, apparently, I bet someone would have figured how to make it go on magic of regular unicorns, like all of their other big equipment goes. Might be less efficient, but workable.

And yes, FF indeed proposed bad deal, but anyone with business sense tries to haggle it down to compromise for both sides before saying outright 'no', IMHO.
    How so? I mean she makes a decent amount off of it but Rich makes more due to better location and likely exporting Zap Apple jam to other cities for greater profit. Also it wouldn't surprise me if Rich actually got first pick considering how bad at business Granny is.

That wasn't a prototype. Also what large magical industry? We've seen industry sure but it's very schizo. Kinda like if it was completely dependent on a few ponies who have that as their talents in order to operate. Anyways perhaps it could be duplicated, but right now it simply isn't worth the effort considering it is only slightly more efficient then just hiring more ponies. Eventually sure, but then Applejack could get one of her own instead of being forced to deal with the Flim Flam bros

I think it was simplified just because watching them seriously haggle would have been boring. However it could also be that the Flim Flam bros weren't negotiating in good faith. They offered a deal that they knew would ruin Sweet Apple Acres and when that was refused they decided to take over through sheer competition instead. They never had any intention of having a mutually beneficial deal.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

5. - Top - End - #1355
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    That requires Apples having monopoly on apple sales, which is not a given. Plus, also requires them to screen all their bulk buyers, like Rich family, to make sure they are not selling to competition. This basically requires huge expense and overhead as Apples start shifting only small sales, plus spoilage losses from slow sales on top of that. Finally, Flim and Flam are unicorns, what if they figure out spell letting them turn, say, carrots into apples, undercutting monopoly completely?
    You know, that actually makes me wonder about something related to the latest episode.

Spoiler
    Show
    Apparently, a variant of that spell already exists, since Twilight attempted to turn an apple into an orange. If she could do the reverse, and then turned the apples into cider, would you get orange cider when the spell wore off?

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie
    On flip side, had AJ simply negotiated good deal in the beginning saying 'I have all the apples, deal with it' there would be no damage to farm, everyone would have walked from the table richer, and they wouldn't antagonize ponies that almost kicked them out of business with a prototype.

Since when working machine is a scam?

This also might backfire in FF getting apples from somewhere and never agreeing to change bet to allow AJ use friends as they would be understandably pissed.
    If I understand your argument, it is that all of this could have been solved if either party had been willing to negotiate. You're right.

That's part of why I call the Flim-Flam's plan a scam. In the first option, the Apples can consent to the FF distribution, something that benefits FF much more than the Apples. If Applejack is correct in her estimation, it would put them out of business. (On that note, the Apples have got to be the most successful struggling farm in existence.) The logical option is to attempt to negotiate, especially for the two unicorns who don't have what they need to actually use their machine.

Do they do that? No. Instead, they threaten to put the Apples out of business by being their direct competitors. (This, admittedly, adds credence to there being apple producers outside the extended Apple family.) If that wasn't enough, they're brazen enough to sell an Apple product in front of them.

They then propose a bet that heavily favors themselves where they stand to lose nothing and gain everything. That, more than anything else, marks it as a scam, and marks the Apples as poor businessponies.

If Granny McFly Smith hadn't been goaded into accepting FF's bet, then they'd have had to walk away and find their own apples. This would involve them finding a willing buyer, getting a way to transport them all back, and actually having enough to still compete with the Apples.

In reality, the Apples were in no danger from the FF brothers until they accepted the bet. It's the same way with the street-corner con man; he's harmless until he goads you into playing a game you can't win.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

6. - Top - End - #1356

There is one crazy theory that's been with the fandom a long time to explain where all the money goes to:

Spoiler
    Show
    Big Mac's child support to ALL the mares
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

7. - Top - End - #1357
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtytabs View Post
    What's a trashy romance novel without its cover?
    6-8 oz. of pulp paper

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Also the resonance changes to the street are going to be permanent.
    So lasting -2 to Death magic?

*sigh*

Well, at least it will be harder to raise zombies too... provided it's right outside our window...

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Oh hai, Druid Droid. Long time no see!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Woo! Long time no see!
    I have been around, but bad about checking threads. I would blame being busy but that's no excuse. Instead I will just plan on trying to hover around more. Good to see familiar faces though!

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Scootaloo: "Total Harmonic Reversal!"
    Sweetie Belle: "Okay, that's bad. Important safety tip. Thanks Applebloom."
    On the one hand, I know what you're actually referencing here.

On the other, Total Harmonic Reversal makes me think of hilariously over-the-top anime finishers, and I have a pony version of one I'd dearly love to create, if I could only do it justice...

The Cider episode is bad because of it's complete lack of understanding of economics and how flagrant it is in that ignorance. I could almost forgive it because of it's great song and so forth but then AJ has that smug bit about already knowing the lesson at the end and I just want to punch her in the face.

They should have just driven a harder bargain with the Flim Flam brothers to begin with, and made bank. Instead...
    I think this should be balanced against the fact that the whole episode is one giant reference to The Music Man

I can forgive a great deal for good references.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

8. - Top - End - #1358
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    That's part of why I call the Flim-Flam's plan a scam. In the first option, the Apples can consent to the FF distribution, something that benefits FF much more than the Apples. If Applejack is correct in her estimation, it would put them out of business. (On that note, the Apples have got to be the most successful struggling farm in existence.) The logical option is to attempt to negotiate, especially for the two unicorns who don't have what they need to actually use their machine.
    No attempt is made to haggle by either party. I don't think this can fairly be attributed to either sides motivation even, it's just because the plot says so.

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    I think this should be balanced against the fact that the whole episode is one giant reference to The Music Man

I can forgive a great deal for good references.
    So is that one Simpson's episode. But in that, we understood how the town was being suckered into buying something they didn't actually need. Here, the "con" (and it's not really a con, because the flippin machine works as advertised) is nonsensical and only works because half the ponies are given the Idiot Ball for the episode.
    Last edited by HamHam; 2012-11-18 at 07:01 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1359
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    There is one crazy theory that's been with the fandom a long time to explain where all the money goes to:

Spoiler
    Show
    An illustration:
    Spoiler
    Show

This was before Cheerilee episode, even though they could be teasing to the crusaders.
    About the discussion on economics, it is based on John Henry vs Drilling Machine.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

10. - Top - End - #1360
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oh, Commander Bleakbane, sir?
    (Season 3 Episode 3 related, kinda)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Topaz; 2012-11-18 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Messed up spoiler tags
    Blue Star Topaz is my name
    Equestria's my station
    The Elements define my creed
    The Herd's my destination

11. - Top - End - #1361
    Ettin in the Playground

I have been around, but bad about checking threads. I would blame being busy but that's no excuse. Instead I will just plan on trying to hover around more. Good to see familiar faces though!
    *Glompyhugs*

12. - Top - End - #1362

Pretty sure kids can understand "Okay, so we give you half the money but sell twice as many ciders, so we made the same amount!"
    Well, this isn't quite accurate. Even with a fifty-fifty split, the Apples are losing out; they're getting the same amount of money for twice the amount of apples, so they're making half of what they normally earn.

No attempt is made to haggle by either party. I don't think this can fairly be attributed to either sides motivation even, it's just because the plot says so.

So is that one Simpson's episode. But in that, we understood how the town was being suckered into buying something they didn't actually need. Here, the "con" (and it's not really a con, because the flippin machine works as advertised) is nonsensical and only works because half the ponies are given the Idiot Ball for the episode.
    And here we come to the nexus of the episode. If the Apples had actually thought for half a second, they'd have realized that the Flim-Flam brothers stood no chance against them in an actual economic competition, and thus going into business with them was only ever an option, never a requirement. If they'd thought, they should have demanded their own counter-conditions that make them a profit.

(That is, they'd have to find an arrangement where the sale-price of the apples sacrificed to pay for the machine's 'rent' is less than the amount of money they'd make by doing it the normal way. In this case, because they are their own suppliers, the only real reason to go into business with the FF brothers is because the cider season might limit the number of apples able to be processed into cider.)

It is in their best interest to keep the demand high and the supply low. That's the only possible threat the FFB can pose.

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    An illustration:
    Spoiler
    Show

This was before Cheerilee episode, even though they could be teasing to the crusaders.
    About the discussion on economics, it is based on John Henry vs Drilling Machine.
    Well, it's more about the eternal fight between Mankind and machine, but yes. Also, pregnant Dashie looks very uncomfortable there...
    Last edited by Balmas; 2012-11-18 at 07:19 PM.
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

13. - Top - End - #1363
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

"Highly reliable sources"
    say that Applejack just keeps all the money for herself.

So lasting -2 to Death magic?

*sigh*

Well, at least it will be harder to raise zombies too... provided it's right outside our window...
    No that probably won't stick. Resonance changes are not the same thing as massively affecting arcana used in the area. It will just always have the feeling of a wild storm and a strong sense of life, power, and vigor, rather than whatever was there before. How did this conversation make it into ponythread anyway? I think half the ponies here think we're all crazy.

And it's good to see you in different contexts.

I agree with you that the episode is in blatant disregard of the teachings of economics. However, I think the episode is a rather accurate reflection of how most of the world also seems to act in blatant disregard of economics. The Apple family acts almost entirely out of pride in Super Speed Cider Squeezy. First, they're too proud to admit that the machine could work better. Then, when Granny Smith tastes the cider and realizes that it's perfectly good, she's too proud to admit it and they don't buy the machine. Then they rush into a bet and they're too proud to point out the obvious problem that they own the apples.

They also stand by their reputation with the rest of Ponyville, and I think they would be more hurt if the other ponies viewed them as cheats or tricksters for making a bet and then refusing to give up their apples than they would by losing their own farm. That's just how much they care about their reputation.

It's a prime example of non-economic factors playing a leading role over economic factors. And it's not stupid or wrong, although it might be irrational.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

14. - Top - End - #1364

Guess it's about time for new ponythread titles. I'll suggest MLP 57: Too Many Ponythreads to get the ball rolling
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

15. - Top - End - #1365

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    Guess it's about time for new ponythread titles. I'll suggest MLP 57: Too Many Ponythreads to get the ball rolling
    I was going with MLP: Sombra, We Hardly Knew Ya
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

16. - Top - End - #1366
    Titan in the Playground

My Little Pony LVII: Something Something Crystals!
    My Little Pony LVII: Gak Gak Gak! (Think someone already suggested this a few pages back).
    My Little Pony LVII: You Must Construct Additional Pinkies!

17. - Top - End - #1367
    Troll in the Playground

how about
    ponythread #: pinkies, pinkies everywhere
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

18. - Top - End - #1368
    Titan in the Playground

I like You must construct additional Pinkies
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

19. - Top - End - #1369
    Barbarian in the Playground

My Little Pony LVII: On Saturdays, All We Post Are Spoiler Boxes
    Blargh slaves crystals crystals blargh zimmerwald1915. Internets: 3
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Fedora View Post
    Dirtytabs, Dirtytabs
    Friendly Ponythread Dirtytabs
    To her friends she's a gem
    She makes lovely art for them
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I don't always save pony images, but when I do, they're usually DirtyTabs.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    +100 Exp for Dirtytabs.

20. - Top - End - #1370

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I like this one. I'd also like to resubmit Ponythread LVII: The Pink One Rises.

21. - Top - End - #1371
    Titan in the Playground

This seems like a winner.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

22. - Top - End - #1372
    Ettin in the Playground

I approve of this!
    Last edited by t209; 2012-11-18 at 08:53 PM.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

23. - Top - End - #1373
    Troll in the Playground

forget my idea, we need more starcraft pony.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

24. - Top - End - #1374
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
    Oh, Commander Bleakbane, sir?
    (Season 3 Episode 3 related, kinda)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    You have to ask why they went with cruddy Pain and not Naruto himself, which would make far more sense under the circumstances, and wouldn't be as insulting to Pinkie...

Hey, I just realised, though this episode is totally fuelling the fire of the whole Pinkuto schick, ain't it?

Fifth Equestrian Civilisation
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dear Twilight Sparkle,

You will be glad to hear I will be coming home soon, with our objectives achieved; I hope you haven't had too much trouble in my absense (especially as it has only been two days from your perspective!)

After securing Gao, Bleakbane spent a long time martialling our military forces, while I tended to improving the citizens and the counryside with our weath factories. I sent out some more colonists to found Ponyville - by the sea, which is nice! That gave us some much needed salt, because I can tell you, I really needed some of that! I offered some to Bleakbane, but he just looked at me gone out! Different species (and living verses Undead!) I guess!

While we waited for our railroads, we sent a colony ship all around the world, trying to find a new place to settle, and after circumnavigating the whole globe, we finally found a small atoll with some nice resources just off the south coast of one of the Songhai cities!

By that point, our trains were running (in case we needed some reinforcements), and I had assembled to squadrons of Wonderbolts under the command of Silver Lining. Songhai denounced us again, and complained we were massing on the borders. Bleakbane denounced them right back (and we found that England and sevral other countries liked them as little as we did!) And then Bleakbane launched the attack with our new artillery. This time, weight of numbers and technology told, and our forces were able to take crush their last two cities with no losses, and then march upon and liberate the citystate, and wiping out the Songhai altogether.

After that bit of excitement, however, it was a very uneventful run. Neither I nor Bleakbane felt it was worth launching a large naval force to conquer the other contient (though for different reasons!) So we simply settled in, built lots of trains and raised the standard of culture and living for our citizens. By 2009 AD, we were in a position to build a magical friendship project that would unite the whole world. But we held off for a few years, because Bleakbane wanted to see how far we could get with the spaceship parts first - and he really wanted to build a Giant Death Robot, even if all they did was stand around Gao!

But eventually, in 2028, we completed the friendship project and made all the humans happy and contented, and left them to it. Blakbane did a logn analysis of my rule, and compared me to Augustus Caesar, which I think was a complement!

Anyway, I feel quite refreshed, and ready to deal with anything the real Equestria can throw at me, and ready to resume my duties! unless you and Luna have managed to burn the palace down while I've been away!

No, but seriously, if you have, you are going to the Moon so hard.

See you soon my dear,

Your loving mentor,

Princess Celestia.

(Both the Wonderbolt had names, but I can't remember the second one, and with how slow Civ V is, it's not worth loading it up again to check! That other music, by-the-by is the CMC theme, with Art of the Dress being the "war" theme, which is hilarious and also awesome.)

Civ V
    Pros: Being able to choose to do the production and science instead of being shutned into it at the start of the turn is an improvement; the extra flexibility means it's easier to save, for example, and I did like the fact it didn't move to the next turn while there were bits to do. Bigger city radius is, I think just about a net positive, but probably means you need a bigger map. Ranged fire is I think a net improvement, stacking issues nothwithstanding, as are the improved city defences. Also, being able to buy improvements independantly (and several a round) of the production queue is really handy. Land untis requiring no transports is massively better; naval warfare was always a massive pain in the earlier versions, and even shipping workers around if you had one square on an island was annoying. Religion/social policies were MUUUCH better.

Cons: Still not convinced about the no-stacking, neutral to the chance to hex. Less data available, and I found the interface actually less helpful than civ IV, and missing a few bits. (Like in Civ IV - and Alpha and Civ III - you could Alt+U to upgrade all the units of one type. Tried that, but it didn't seem to work. Maybe there's another key or something I just missed.) Didn't like the fact you can't rename units in Civ V. While it's not a thing I used heavily in Civ IV, I did use it to name my high level units for ease of identification. Great Generals are way less effective than in Civ IV (and most Great People are generally.) Waaaay long to load (even just to the main menu, not even the saved games!) Don't like the lack of direct citizen micromanagement; I preferred being able to make them work exactly what squares I wanted in Civ IV.

Overall, a bit of a giggle, but not earth-shattering (nor as bad as I'd thought it might be.) Not better, overall, than Civ IV, but even so, some areas of improvement. (If they took some of the better ideas of Civ V and added them into Civ IV to make Civ VI, it could be astonishingly good.)

Plus, this dry-run gave me a much better idea of what to do for next time (larger map, better Civ - sorry Equestria, but you kinda suck with that ability that I got to use like, twice during a 380-odd turn game) and go for Tradition straight out of the gate instead of piety (which I did because I'd gotten a bit behind on the Faith and I wanted to snag a good pantheon before all the decent ones went!)

25. - Top - End - #1375

The...the thread's almost over already?!
    (Un?)official ponythread element of airships.

26. - Top - End - #1376

Quote Originally Posted by Maxtronaut View Post
    The...the thread's almost over already?!
    It is.

Also, oh my gosh, look at this crossover.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1377
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I just got back to the forum and this was the first thing that I read and it made me laugh way harder then I should have.
    In the arena of logic I fight UNARMED!!!

Current Avatar by zimmerwald1915
    Former Avatars by the amazing Dirtytabs
    Former avatar 1

Former Avatar 2

28. - Top - End - #1378
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    The picture of Mabel hugging Pinkie sells that, I don't even care what they wrote.

Edit: Wait, it's actually a GIF. Even more adorable. Here it is.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-11-18 at 09:27 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

29. - Top - End - #1379
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    *Glompyhugs*
    *Hugs the changeling bunny*

No that probably won't stick. Resonance changes are not the same thing as massively affecting arcana used in the area. It will just always have the feeling of a wild storm and a strong sense of life, power, and vigor, rather than whatever was there before. How did this conversation make it into ponythread anyway? I think half the ponies here think we're all crazy.
    I blame...

*checks list*

Thanqol. It's his turn.

And it's good to see you in different contexts.
    That is an adorable Twilight. I need to use that one myself...

I agree with you that the episode is in blatant disregard of the teachings of economics. However, I think the episode is a rather accurate reflection of how most of the world also seems to act in blatant disregard of economics. The Apple family acts almost entirely out of pride in Super Speed Cider Squeezy. First, they're too proud to admit that the machine could work better. Then, when Granny Smith tastes the cider and realizes that it's perfectly good, she's too proud to admit it and they don't buy the machine. Then they rush into a bet and they're too proud to point out the obvious problem that they own the apples.

They also stand by their reputation with the rest of Ponyville, and I think they would be more hurt if the other ponies viewed them as cheats or tricksters for making a bet and then refusing to give up their apples than they would by losing their own farm. That's just how much they care about their reputation.

It's a prime example of non-economic factors playing a leading role over economic factors. And it's not stupid or wrong, although it might be irrational.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    My Little Pony LVII: You Must Construct Additional Pinkies!
    Yeah, I'll cast my vote for this one, for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtytabs View Post
    My Little Pony LVII: On Saturdays, All We Post Are Spoiler Boxes
    Although this one is a close runner-up.

The picture of Mabel hugging Pinkie sells that, I don't even care what they wrote.

Edit: Wait, it's actually a GIF. Even more adorable. Here it is.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mabel is best pony.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

30. - Top - End - #1380
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    You have to ask why they went with cruddy Pain and not Naruto himself, which would make far more sense under the circumstances, and wouldn't be as insulting to Pinkie...

Hey, I just realised, though this episode is totally fuelling the fire of the whole Pinkuto schick, ain't it?

Fifth Equestrian Civilisation
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dear Twilight Sparkle,

You will be glad to hear I will be coming home soon, with our objectives achieved; I hope you haven't had too much trouble in my absense (especially as it has only been two days from your perspective!)

After securing Gao, Bleakbane spent a long time martialling our military forces, while I tended to improving the citizens and the counryside with our weath factories. I sent out some more colonists to found Ponyville - by the sea, which is nice! That gave us some much needed salt, because I can tell you, I really needed some of that! I offered some to Bleakbane, but he just looked at me gone out! Different species (and living verses Undead!) I guess!

While we waited for our railroads, we sent a colony ship all around the world, trying to find a new place to settle, and after circumnavigating the whole globe, we finally found a small atoll with some nice resources just off the south coast of one of the Songhai cities!

By that point, our trains were running (in case we needed some reinforcements), and I had assembled to squadrons of Wonderbolts under the command of Silver Lining. Songhai denounced us again, and complained we were massing on the borders. Bleakbane denounced them right back (and we found that England and sevral other countries liked them as little as we did!) And then Bleakbane launched the attack with our new artillery. This time, weight of numbers and technology told, and our forces were able to take crush their last two cities with no losses, and then march upon and liberate the citystate, and wiping out the Songhai altogether.

After that bit of excitement, however, it was a very uneventful run. Neither I nor Bleakbane felt it was worth launching a large naval force to conquer the other contient (though for different reasons!) So we simply settled in, built lots of trains and raised the standard of culture and living for our citizens. By 2009 AD, we were in a position to build a magical friendship project that would unite the whole world. But we held off for a few years, because Bleakbane wanted to see how far we could get with the spaceship parts first - and he really wanted to build a Giant Death Robot, even if all they did was stand around Gao!

But eventually, in 2028, we completed the friendship project and made all the humans happy and contented, and left them to it. Blakbane did a logn analysis of my rule, and compared me to Augustus Caesar, which I think was a complement!

Anyway, I feel quite refreshed, and ready to deal with anything the real Equestria can throw at me, and ready to resume my duties! unless you and Luna have managed to burn the palace down while I've been away!

No, but seriously, if you have, you are going to the Moon so hard.

See you soon my dear,

Your loving mentor,

Princess Celestia.

(Both the Wonderbolt had names, but I can't remember the second one, and with how slow Civ V is, it's not worth loading it up again to check! That other music, by-the-by is the CMC theme, with Art of the Dress being the "war" theme, which is hilarious and also awesome.)

Civ V
    Pros: Being able to choose to do the production and science instead of being shutned into it at the start of the turn is an improvement; the extra flexibility means it's easier to save, for example, and I did like the fact it didn't move to the next turn while there were bits to do. Bigger city radius is, I think just about a net positive, but probably means you need a bigger map. Ranged fire is I think a net improvement, stacking issues nothwithstanding, as are the improved city defences. Also, being able to buy improvements independantly (and several a round) of the production queue is really handy. Land untis requiring no transports is massively better; naval warfare was always a massive pain in the earlier versions, and even shipping workers around if you had one square on an island was annoying. Religion/social policies were MUUUCH better.

Cons: Still not convinced about the no-stacking, neutral to the chance to hex. Less data available, and I found the interface actually less helpful than civ IV, and missing a few bits. (Like in Civ IV - and Alpha and Civ III - you could Alt+U to upgrade all the units of one type. Tried that, but it didn't seem to work. Maybe there's another key or something I just missed.) Didn't like the fact you can't rename units in Civ V. While it's not a thing I used heavily in Civ IV, I did use it to name my high level units for ease of identification. Great Generals are way less effective than in Civ IV (and most Great People are generally.) Waaaay long to load (even just to the main menu, not even the saved games!) Don't like the lack of direct citizen micromanagement; I preferred being able to make them work exactly what squares I wanted in Civ IV.

Overall, a bit of a giggle, but not earth-shattering (nor as bad as I'd thought it might be.) Not better, overall, than Civ IV, but even so, some areas of improvement. (If they took some of the better ideas of Civ V and added them into Civ IV to make Civ VI, it could be astonishingly good.)

Plus, this dry-run gave me a much better idea of what to do for next time (larger map, better Civ - sorry Equestria, but you kinda suck with that ability that I got to use like, twice during a 380-odd turn game) and go for Tradition straight out of the gate instead of piety (which I did because I'd gotten a bit behind on the Faith and I wanted to snag a good pantheon before all the decent ones went!)
    You can, but only when you upgrade them for whatever reason.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".