Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snow! Really?!

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Snow! Really?!

What's with the weather these days?!

Last year: Irene then a snow storm.

Now: Sandy, then a snow storm (apparently nicknamed Athena).

I better not lose power again. At least I can start to eliminate the no longer acceptable names for girls from my hypothetical list, in case when I have children.

Having four seasons is over rated.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Snow! Really?!

Meh, at least it didnt snow till after halloween this year.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

I like snow. It's the perfect time to strip down to your swim trunks and have an epic beach party. Beach Party!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll take snow over rain any day. Of course the fact that I walk everywhere might make me a teensy bit biased in that.
    Awesome avatar by Kurien.

Good Decisions come from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Decisions. Bad Decisions come from Tequila.

I am B.
    Are you B?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

I wish it were properly snow here. Biking in not-quite-snow-not-quite-rain is distinctly worse than biking in proper snow, even if biking in snow is pretty terrible.
    Jude P.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

I like snow. I moved to the north only recently and have yet to see it properly. Last year was a really bizarre winter, with snow coming on and off. I hope we get a proper winter this time.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

I always forget that snow is an anomaly in some places. An October without snow is always a weird one up here.
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

8. - Top - End - #8

I usually don't expect snow until November, but I'm also bad at remembering past winters. I just have this idea that snow shouldn't happen until November.
    Jude P.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Well, you know what they say. When life gives you snow, you make snowade!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    I usually don't expect snow until November, but I'm also bad at remembering past winters. I just have this idea that snow shouldn't happen until November.
    It is November.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Well, you know what they say. When life gives you snow, you make snowade!
    Or just an eight-foot-snowman. But then you find out that somehow people living in the Berkshires don't know how to drive in snow, so getting off campus becomes impossible due to roads blocked by bad drivers' cars, and then your mom has to stay in your room overnight because the freak snowstorm (I think it counts as "early" if the trees still have most of their leaves, which they did in last October's snowstorm) coincided with parents' weekend. :\

Quote Originally Posted by Tebryn View Post
    It is November.
    Yeah but somebody mentioned the snow-before-Halloween thing that happens sometimes.
    Jude P.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

It does for sure, I remember growing up and getting snow in the Midwest in early October.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I like my Seattle weather, thank you. You don't have to shovel rain. I can drive up to the Cascades to visit the snow, but the snow seldom comes down to visit me. I have stuff to do, I don't want to be gridlocked by a bunch of Californian tourists who don't know how to drive on the interstate in a snowstorm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    I like my Seattle weather, thank you. You don't have to shovel rain. I can drive up to the Cascades to visit the snow, but the snow seldom comes down to visit me. I have stuff to do, I don't want to be gridlocked by a bunch of Californian tourists who don't know how to drive on the interstate in a snowstorm.
    There's no snow in Seattle? Really? It's so far north, I assumed you got a lot of it.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

The ocean makes weather a little wonky. Well, the Puget Sound, but its connected, and big. Really big. Any big body of water acts as a dampener on temp swings. More continental regions get HUGE temp swings. Fairbanks, Alaska is almost right at the center of the most massive state in the US, and experiences temperature ranges from -60 to 115 F on a yearly basis. Hard to believe.

Really, it seldom gets below freezing here in Seattle. You need cold temperatures for snow to stick. It'll snow sometimes, but it seldom lasts more than a day. About once every other year or so we get SNOWMAGEDDON, which lasts a week, but that is rare and 1/52 weeks doesn't really count.

Geography > lattitude
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Heh, you want wonky? I grew up in South Dakota. Winter here is anywhere from three to six months long.

Anyways, I was in Texas for military training when they had 'the worst record snowfall' for the last 25 years or so. It was two inches of snow.

From my perspective it was hilarious. Schools were canceled. People were panicking rushing into stores for snow shovels, snowblowers, snow chains.

I passed four accidents on a fifteen minute drive. I walked into the store wearing a tshirt and shorts, because it was still above 50 degrees. The clerk saw me, asked if I was insane, and then asked why I would brave 'this weather' for a copy of a new game.

I replied, 'Because its december, its still fifty degrees outside, and I am bored. Oh and this is nothing. I'm used to six feet. Minimum."

Then I laughed, picturing Texas under six fet of snow.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    Anyways, I was in Texas for military training when they had 'the worst record snowfall' for the last 25 years or so. It was two inches of snow.
    Hahaha man I just burst out laughing. XDD
    We got about two inches just yesterday after it switched from rain to snow.
    Edit: Which reminded me why I hate biking in snow. Shallow fresh snow isn't even too bad, besides being really slippery and making sharp turns impossible, but after people walk on it and it's packed and uneven, just biking through it is hard. And then there are huge puddles in some places because it's just enough above freezing (and they salted the paths, no doubt) that it's melting.

From my perspective it was hilarious. Schools were canceled. People were panicking rushing into stores for snow shovels, snowblowers, snow chains.

I passed four accidents on a fifteen minute drive. I walked into the store wearing a tshirt and shorts, because it was still above 50 degrees. The clerk saw me, asked if I was insane, and then asked why I would brave 'this weather' for a copy of a new game.

I replied, 'Because its december, its still fifty degrees outside, and I am bored. Oh and this is nothing. I'm used to six feet. Minimum."

Then I laughed, picturing Texas under six fet of snow.
    Oh wow. Their reaction makes it even better. And on a fifty degree day most of that two inches would be gone by the next day, too.
    Last edited by noparlpf; 2012-11-08 at 04:08 PM.
    Jude P.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

It was gone before they could get home with their shiny new snowblowers.

I tell you, it was one of the funniest things I ever saw.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    It was gone before they could get home with their shiny new snowblowers.

I tell you, it was one of the funniest things I ever saw.
    Yeah I figured. Why do stores in Texas even carry snow shovels and snowblowers? Heh.
    Jude P.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

For that one day they get a record snowfall?

Too bad I had no camera. Or a lawn chair and a six-pack.

@V: Yes, you can. You just have to melt him first.
    Last edited by Lentrax; 2012-11-08 at 04:15 PM.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Or just an eight-foot-snowman.
    You can't drink an 8 foot snowman...or can you?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Meh, at least it didnt snow till after halloween this year.
    Yes, but I'd bet you that we'll have snow in between Halloween and April Fools day this year.

Edit: aside from the current storm, I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruki-kun View Post
    I like snow. I moved to the north only recently and have yet to see it properly. Last year was a really bizarre winter, with snow coming on and off. I hope we get a proper winter this time.
    See, I was in the East Coast two years ago (and still am) and I thought the same thing as you. Let us know how you feel come April.

You certainly can, though it seems like it'd be tough in one sitting.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-11-08 at 04:50 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

23. - Top - End - #23

It's just like a giant vaguely-humanoid-well-not-really snowade sans glass.
    Jude P.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

It's just like a giant vaguely-humanoid-well-not-really snowade sans glass.
    I'd imagine the 8 foot snowman would have an easier time drinking you than you drinking it. After all, you know who else is 8 feet tall:

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Krade View Post
    I'll take snow over rain any day. Of course the fact that I walk everywhere might make me a teensy bit biased in that.
    I live in Indy and I couldn't imagine walking everywhere. The public transportation sucks here and there are hardly any sidewalks! You have my admiration Sir!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, in the winter I walk everywhere. Other times bicylce all the way.

I live in SoBro. "South" Broad Ripple, if you're unfamiliar with the terminology. The reason south is in quotes is a lengthy and quite-off-topic discussion.

I live about 4 blocks from my work. Everything I need is close by. If I need to go far away, like Castleton or downtown, I take the bus.
    Awesome avatar by Kurien.

Good Decisions come from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Decisions. Bad Decisions come from Tequila.

I am B.
    Are you B?

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Krade View Post
    Well, in the winter I walk everywhere. Other times bicycle all the way.

I live in SoBro. "South" Broad Ripple, if you're unfamiliar with the terminology. The reason south is in quotes is a lengthy and quite-off-topic discussion.

I live about 4 blocks from my work. Everything I need is close by. If I need to go far away, like Castleton or downtown, I take the bus.
    Lucky. The supermarket in my area is about three miles away, and I usually end up buying about thirty to sixty pounds of food because I only shop about every other week. And I have to carry that on a bike. Now, if I had a grocer's within four blocks, I would just shop every few days, have fresh meat, and not need to carry groceries on a bike.
    (Also my muscles forgot how to walk long distances since I've been biking most places.)
    Jude P.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

I hate snow. I really can not express how much I loathe that cold as **** stuff, just eugh. And when it snows it's always this boatload of the the stuff clogging everything everywhere or these massive hail storms or instant sludges that get your socks wet no matter what kind of shoes you wear and usually all of these types happen at varying times over each and every day.

And lets not get started on how the bloody sun likes to poke it's head out in between to melt the top of the previous layer so when the next layer lands it can freeze again making everything slippery as **** as only 'ice with a single layer of wet snow on top' can be.

Just eugh.

Oh and yeah I walk or ride a bicycle almost everywhere I go so the snow screws that up as well.
    Last edited by pffh; 2012-11-09 at 08:27 PM.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    I hate snow. I really can not express how much I loathe that cold as **** stuff, just eugh. And when it snows it's always this boatload of the the stuff clogging everything everywhere or these massive hail storms or instant sludges that get your socks wet no matter what kind of shoes you wear and usually all of these types happen at varying times over each and every day.

And lets not get started on how the bloody sun likes to poke it's head out in between to melt the top of the previous layer so when the next layer lands it can freeze again making everything slippery as **** as only 'ice with a single layer of wet snow on top' can be.

Just eugh.

Oh and yeah I walk or ride a bicycle almost everywhere I go so the snow screws that up as well.
    Biking in fresh snow isn't too bad (relatively speaking) as long as it's not icy and you don't turn too sharply. It's snow that everybody's already walked in that's really hard to bike on, because it's packed really unevenly and shifts a lot, on top of being slippery.
    Jude P.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Biking in fresh snow isn't too bad (relatively speaking) as long as it's not icy and you don't turn too sharply. It's snow that everybody's already walked in that's really hard to bike on, because it's packed really unevenly and shifts a lot, on top of being slippery.
    It is when the snow covers most of your wheels. On top of the ice and the hail banging in your face for 15 minutes every hour or so.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled