New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Dungeon Crawlin' Fools question (no spoilers)

Recently I've been reading (and re-reading) the books, and in DCF I noticed one particular change from the online comic that piqued my interest.

In the last two panels of the online version of #16, Durkon mishears Roy's "which is kinda cool" as "a lich is binding ghouls", but in the book Roy simply says "which is cool" and Durkon mishears "lich's ghoul".

I don't understand why this change was made, to be honest. Does it have something to do with the D&D rules?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dungeon Crawlin' Fools question (no spoilers)

No, it's presumably just a case of Rich preferring the wording in the new version. Maybe he thought the original was too far-fetched, but personally that's exactly what I liked about it. I don't think the change is an improvement at all.
    Please write all sarcasm in blue text. All metaphors should be marked in red text and for any split infinitives, please use green. Thank you.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I also prefer the original version, to be honest.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

As long as Durkon is not shooting his Turn Undead first I can live with it.
    Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei, King Joffrey, The Tickler, The Hound, Ser Amory, Polliver, Raff the Sweetling, Weese, Dunsen, Nale, Ser Gregor Clegane and Chiswyck: Winter is coming!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    As long as Durkon is not shooting his Turn Undead first I can live with it.
    I was wondering how long it would take.

6. - Top - End - #6

Now you know: Three replies.
    Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei, King Joffrey, The Tickler, The Hound, Ser Amory, Polliver, Raff the Sweetling, Weese, Dunsen, Nale, Ser Gregor Clegane and Chiswyck: Winter is coming!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

The fun part of this is that I don't remember why I made that change, either. So the answer can never be known.

I do know that I removed the blood pools from the chimera's death because I had changed the way I handled bloodshed in the comic (that is, I stopped putting a lot of blood in even in situations that would logicially require it, like decapitation). And that I changed "illithid" to "illithoid" to forestall a visit from the real-world analogues of Mr. Jones & Mr. Rodriguez. But that one, I can't even figure out.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

smile Re: Dungeon Crawlin' Fools question (no spoilers)

Good to see you're back, and answering the strangest questions you can find. Nice to see your hands didn't rot off.(I need to fill my crazy fan quota beyond an obnoxious smiley joke, don't I? OMG MIKO BUTTON OF MURDER DABLORP.)

I prefer the old one just because he really IS stretching it at that point. *durps around more*
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2012-12-12 at 05:52 PM.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    The fun part of this is that I don't remember why I made that change, either. So the answer can never be known.

I do know that I removed the blood pools from the chimera's death because I had changed the way I handled bloodshed in the comic (that is, I stopped putting a lot of blood in even in situations that would logicially require it, like decapitation). And that I changed "illithid" to "illithoid" to forestall a visit from the real-world analogues of Mr. Jones & Mr. Rodriguez. But that one, I can't even figure out.
    Yay! Typing capacity regained!
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Just don't start to switch in more and more faces of Hayden Christiansen with every new print.

(And yes, I'm going to beat that horse until the current arc is over)