New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: The Birth Of A New Species: IC.

"Ermm... who said anything about an attack?" Flowdy looks suspiciously at the priest.

Spoiler
    Show
    sense motive !!! that freaking priest is the one summoning lemures!!! (1d20)[1]

Edit: LOL!!!! that priest is a saint!!!!! he obviously have nothing to do with this all!!!
    Last edited by Korney; 2012-12-01 at 10:04 AM.
    Avatar masterfully done by the ever gifted Gnomish Wanderer

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

"You just did," replies Pastor Duguid evenly.

Results of Korney's Sense Motive check.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You detect a note of evasiveness in his tone. Something seems...off...here.
    Last edited by ReaderAt2046; 2012-12-01 at 12:05 PM.
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Dwarf in the Playground

"No I didn't..." Flowdy narrows his eyes at the priest attitude.
    "What God did you say you worship again?"
    Flowdy checks the priest's holy symbol and the church decoration to see if there is anything weird.
    Then turns to his companions and whisper "Isn't it a bit strange that the soldier accepted to be imprisoned so easily and then made us call this priest? I think this priest is involved with the creature, and the soldiers knows! That's how he knows that he could help him. There is something fishy here... and I don't like it."

4. - Top - End - #214

"This shrine is dedicated to the Creator himself. There are niches for the Archangels, of course, but this town is too small for them to each have a shrine."

There is nothing abnormal about the shrine, except for a rather unusual number of fire motifs.
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (Religion) (1d20+5)[23] which religion is the pastor, also what is the cause of this feeling in the church?
    Sense motive as well (1d20+3)[18] Can I tell what he's trying to avoid?

"Your suspicions may be paranoia though I share them. We cannot act without firm evidence though. This town may simply have a very effective rumour mill." Seric does not like the people of this town, "It is as if they are all in on the same joke and we are the butt of it."
    I didn't choose the life of a murderhobo, it chose me.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #216

Before long, the pastor arrives at the fort. When you go down into the dungeon, and he sees the two soldiers locked up, he is clearly flustered.

"What in the world happened here?" he asks.

Winch responds, "We got hit with some kind of curse from this really wierd monster, and Black Chick thinks we might turn into raving lunatic homocidal abominations over the next few days, so we're locked up here until it can be confirmed that we're safe."

Winch turns to Seric

"I still feel fine, if that has any bearing on the subject."

Pastor Duguid and the two soldiers start praying.

Results of Seric's checks
    Spoiler
    Show

Duguid is a follower of the Path of the Creator, which worships a single diety that they claim created and rules everything in the universe, including the gods.

KORNEY, DON'T READ THIS!!!
    Spoiler
    Show

The pastor isn't trying to hide anything. (you can tell) Korney got the wrong reading because he rolled so low.

Lego Ergo Sum

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

"Do not let them out, Pastor, and keep your distance. They are in quarantine until we can determine that they are not infected or contagious in some way." Seric knows what these bleeding heart types are like. Apt to allow their sense of charity and compassion to lead to weakness, they are unwilling to do what must sometimes be done for the security of us all.

Spoiler
    Show
    Is Pastor Duguid offering anything other than spiritual support?
    Spellcraft (1d20+1)[11]
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #218

Spoiler
    Show
    Also rolling Spellcraft, because, hey, I have that skill: (1d20+7)[25]
    Quote Originally Posted by CN the Logos View Post
    They're just there, and horribly fatal when one stumbles across them, like self-aware landmines.

9. - Top - End - #219

Seric and Marius
    Spoiler
    Show
    You would both recognize that he's preparing spells.

Lego Ergo Sum

10. - Top - End - #220
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flowdy checks every pastor's move, still convinced there is something odd about him.

"Should we continue our duty now friends?" sais Flowdy to the others, wanting to know more about the case before pointing at people.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

"I'd like to see what spells he is calling on first."
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #222

After the prayers, he briefly taps each of his eyes with the triangle pendant he wears. His eyes glow white as he examines each of the soldiers.

"There's no curse on either of these that I can see, nor poison or infection in their system. I think it should be safe to release them."

Lego Ergo Sum

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

"A few days in quarantine won't hurt them, just to be sure. I'm sure that inquisitor Flowdy could explain about instantaneous spell effects, the art of hiding enchantments and what-not, " she considers this for a moment, "but we only have a short amount of time and we really need to get going." Seric was not at all pleased that this false god was so much in prominence in this town. She would have to set aside some time to preach the true religion once their mission was complete.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #224

[OOC] So where do you want to go now? The Pick, the mines, back to yell at the governor some more, somewhere else?

Lego Ergo Sum

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ReaderAt2046 View Post
    [OOC] So where do you want to go now? The Pick, the mines, back to yell at the governor some more, somewhere else?
    It would make sense to go to the inn first and then the mines.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #226

The Silver Pick is mostly empty, with neither Candy nor Ozai anywhere to be seen. A few miners are nursing foamy mugs of beer, but there is little conversation. Upon delivering your message, the innkeeper promises to cook up something especially good for the soldiers.

The path up to the mines is a longish switchback style, crossweaving back and forth until it reaches a large cave mouth about two bowshots up the mountainside.

Lego Ergo Sum

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

"I propose that Marius and I go in front as we are better protected in our armours. That is unless Ogodei can scout the path in front of us?" It seems as if she has accepted the eastern druid but she still doesn't know what his abilities are.

Seric stows her shield and loads her crossbow. If this is the source of the strange behaviour and monsters then she wants to shoot first and ask questions later.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming we want to go 2x2 but how wide is the path?

Seric's armour class drops to 15
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #228

You make your way up the path (in whatever order) without any major problems and soon find yourselves at the cave-like entrance. There are a number of large affairs like boxes on sleds, and a map of this section of the gem mines. There are a number of passages, but the one that leads to the black onyx lode is marked.

Lego Ergo Sum

19. - Top - End - #229
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ooc: any sound? are there miners? what are the light conditions?

20. - Top - End - #230

There are no miners, and you can't hear anything other than a few water dribblets and squeaky bat noises. There's plenty of light in this ampitheater cave, but the tunnels are dark enough that you'll need lighting or darkvision.

Lego Ergo Sum

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

"Flowdy, copy that map out," Seric bosses the wizard rudely as she gets a torch out of her pack and lights it with her flint and steel. She puts her spare one at the top where it will be easy to reach and looks around for lanterns or candles that the miners must have used.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #232

There are a number of neatly put-away lanterns, and a couple of drums of oil. Also, the more detailed search notices a number of skeleton tracks through the dust, leading towards the vein of black onyx.

Lego Ergo Sum

23. - Top - End - #233
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Better me than you, we all know how will it end." Jokes flowdy as he makes a copy of the map in one of his blank scrolls.

"Ok, let's go straigh into the onyx tunnel. Let's get ready for anything."
    Flowdy adjust the strap well he carries his scrolls and readies his crossbow. He gets a latern and carries it on his offhand.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I know I said this character will believe scroll were poems casted when read, but I think I will change that a bit.
    As far as the caharacter goes, he is just passionate about things that catch his interest, but he is not as loony as initially stated.
    I will still probably cast the spells reciting some odd verbal component, but will stop annoying people about poems.

That said I also want to know if Know. Dungeoneering is of any use inside a mine.
    (In case it is (1d20+9)[24])

Edit: In case nobody gets it, it's a joke about women and maps.
    Last edited by Korney; 2012-12-03 at 05:37 PM.

24. - Top - End - #234

Everyone but Marius.
    Spoiler
    Show
    As you advance down the corridor, you spot glints of metal from the shadows, and a faint translucent shimmer in front of them.

Suddenly, a wall of clear goo pushes forward into the light area. It fills the entire tunnel and extends back into it an unknown depth. You can see a ring, a sword, and even what look like a pair of plastic sunglasses embedded in the goo.

[OOC] Initiative rolls!
    Marius: (1d20+1)[14]
    Seric: (1d20)[2]
    Ogodei: (1d20+6)[8]
    Flowdy: (1d20)[4]

You're currently 15-20 feet from the wall of goo, which is pushing forwards towards you. The wall acts on intiative count 4. [OOC]
    Last edited by ReaderAt2046; 2012-12-03 at 05:49 PM.

Lego Ergo Sum

25. - Top - End - #235

Spoiler
    Show
    Bloody low Wisdom and Spot being cross-class. I assume it was a failed spot check on Marius' part, anyway. Not acting until I have some knowledge rolls done:
    Arcana: (1d20+7)[13]
    Dungeoneering: (1d20+4)[13]
    Nature: (1d20+4)[6]
    Religion: (1d20+4)[13]
    The Planes: (1d20+4)[18]
    They're just there, and horribly fatal when one stumbles across them, like self-aware landmines.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

Indeed some knowledge checks do seem to be in order.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (Religion) (1d20+5)[12]
    Knowledge (History) (1d20+2)[14]
    Knowledge (Dungeoneering) (1d20+2)[4] This is probably the important one to identify oozes and such.
    Knowledge (The Planes) (1d20+2)[14]
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #237

Marius:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You recognize that that's an Ooze of some sort, but not what sort. Also, note that you're first in the initiative order, so it's your turn.

Seric:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can't remember ever seeing this before. Maybe some weird sort of sheilding spell?

Lego Ergo Sum

28. - Top - End - #238
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flowdy looks full of curiosity at the thing...
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]Aply this roll to the pertinent Knoweledge skill, I have +9 on all of them (1d20+9)[21]

Also, I assume that, since we know our initiatives, we can post out of order and then just get what happens in the propper order, so we don't have to wait for other players.

... and after some though decides to throw the oil latern to the ground in front of it and check if it makes any effect.

Spoiler
    Show
    throw check needed? (1d20)[11]

EDIT after knowing what it is (I guess I don't say this until initiative 4)
    "Be careful! This thing is a dangerous creature. We should not get close to it." shouts Flowdy while walking a few steps back.
    Last edited by Korney; 2012-12-03 at 07:42 PM.

29. - Top - End - #239

Knowledge check results:

Spoiler
    Show
    You recognize this as a Gelatinous Cube, an Ooze native to many cave systems. Fairly dangerous. See the "pineapple chunk" strip near the bottom of this page (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/GuestStrips.html)

Lego Ergo Sum

30. - Top - End - #240

"Gonna have to be a bit more specific than that, Flowdy!" Marius unsheathes his sword, and fires off a ray of frost at the creature.

Spoiler
    Show
    Talking is a free action, and I believe knowledge checks are, too, so you can actually say that now. Anyway, Ray of Frost: (1d20+2)[16] Damage: (1d3)[3]