New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default bad campain. HELP.

so backstory. I rolled up a LE drow rogue/assassin 7. his goal is to unify the decimated island country into a strong government where race is not a factor. seems like fun, I thought. Oh how I wish I knew how it was going to turn out.

First game went decent; introduction, plot hook, escape the city of doom, yay. second session is where the game turned into "how badly can we screw over the drow?" traveling through a plain we find an elemental. ok not too bad I thought, So I sat it out. second combat rolls around, it's another elemental. ok, still not too suspicious yet. While the lack of combat was annoying, at least the group team building and rp would be good right? Wrong. The ENTIRE group decided that my character was the group whipping post. pushing, shoving, yelling at the drow, grabbing his stuff. I had to issue a DEATH THREAT to get them to knock it off. we get to a city, finally time for some fun right? well after getting into a conversation with one of the doctors, (he was a human supremeist/bigot) I decided to try and slip some poison into his medical supplies. So that when he poisoned his patients he would be kicked to the curb and replaced. It was found out and prevented, I wasn't discovered, no harm done. Next session I'm getting threatened with a CE alignment change and character insta death. Their reasoning? I am not playing lawful evil and should read up on how to do lawful evil. Seriously? We left town and the next encounter was.... elementals. The DM never mentioned elementals would be such a part of this. not one bit. We reach a house in the wasteland. we go in. except for one thing. it has a protection from evil spell on it. Oh, and there was a Grimtooth insta death trap in the cellar. I'm both the only evil party member and the party skillmonkey. coincidence? we leave and head toward the city... along the way we fight.... MORE elementals. we reach the city and end the session. next session picks up with us in jail. (choo choo) Not too bad. Except for the fact that the dragonfolk (DM homebrew) had a certain dislike of the elven races, especially drow. wonderful. When we finally get out of prison we get all our stuff back. except for one thing, I'm missing all my poisons. Realize that I had sunk 4000 gold into them. read that again, FOUR THOUSAND GOLD. Gone. Poof. I had to reason, plead, complain at the DM for the rest of the session to give them back. That was the latest session.

So the question is should I leave the group? Or am I overreacting and the DM is justified?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: bad campain. HELP.

Quote Originally Posted by Dissonance View Post
    so backstory. I rolled up a LE drow rogue/assassin 7. his goal is to unify the decimated island country into a strong government where race is not a factor. seems like fun, I thought. Oh how I wish I knew how it was going to turn out.

First game went decent; introduction, plot hook, escape the city of doom, yay. second session is where the game turned into "how badly can we screw over the drow?" traveling through a plain we find an elemental. ok not too bad I thought, So I sat it out. second combat rolls around, it's another elemental. ok, still not too suspicious yet. While the lack of combat was annoying, at least the group team building and rp would be good right? Wrong. The ENTIRE group decided that my character was the group whipping post. pushing, shoving, yelling at the drow, grabbing his stuff. I had to issue a DEATH THREAT to get them to knock it off. we get to a city, finally time for some fun right? well after getting into a conversation with one of the doctors, (he was a human supremeist/bigot) I decided to try and slip some poison into his medical supplies. So that when he poisoned his patients he would be kicked to the curb and replaced. It was found out and prevented, I wasn't discovered, no harm done. Next session I'm getting threatened with a CE alignment change and character insta death. Their reasoning? I am not playing lawful evil and should read up on how to do lawful evil. Seriously? We left town and the next encounter was.... elementals. The DM never mentioned elementals would be such a part of this. not one bit. We reach a house in the wasteland. we go in. except for one thing. it has a protection from evil spell on it. Oh, and there was a Grimtooth insta death trap in the cellar. I'm both the only evil party member and the party skillmonkey. coincidence? we leave and head toward the city... along the way we fight.... MORE elementals. we reach the city and end the session. next session picks up with us in jail. (choo choo) Not too bad. Except for the fact that the dragonfolk (DM homebrew) had a certain dislike of the elven races, especially drow. wonderful. When we finally get out of prison we get all our stuff back. except for one thing, I'm missing all my poisons. Realize that I had sunk 4000 gold into them. read that again, FOUR THOUSAND GOLD. Gone. Poof. I had to reason, plead, complain at the DM for the rest of the session to give them back. That was the latest session.

So the question is should I leave the group? Or am I overreacting and the DM is justified?
    It looks like you should of been given some more information on the setting/other characters. If they are all good-ish (they might not be) then you probably should stay close to their alignment. If a major race in the campaign hates drow you probably should of been informed. That being said perhaps you should re-roll a character more aligned with the party and the goals the DM wants.

Some DMs/groups are good with party discrepancies or differencing goals. Some arn't. If you don't want to play another character, I'd suggest seeing if they'd lay off you, or just not playing with them
    Dascarletm, Spinner of Rudiplorked Tales, and Purveyor of Puns
    Thanks to Artman77 for the avatar!
    Extended Signature

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Walk.

I can understand why some people don't care for drow. Drizz't is a kind of love him or hate him character and he's the iconic drow (which is ironic since he plays so strongly against type). This, and some of Salvatore's other works, led to a whole slew of people that have an intense dislike for all things drow. That wouldn't be a problem except for one little detail; the group you're playing with has allowed their distaste for your character's race affect how they treat YOU. This is unacceptable.

You joined this game with the expectation that you'd be able to play a character of your choosing and they've passive-aggressively told you your choice is invalid. That's not cool.

You can try having a talk with them but I doubt it will have much effect, given the behavior already displayed. Your DM should've told you up-front that playing a drow wouldn't be a good idea instead of letting you roll up a character and then abusing that character for the lulz and the other players should've shown you at least a modicum of respect IC. Drow are supposed to be feared and reviled, not ridiculed and mocked.

CDG them in their sleep when it's your turn at watch, then stand up from the table and bid the players of the now-dead characters goodbye and good riddance.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Walk.

I can understand why some people don't care for drow. Drizz't is a kind of love him or hate him character and he's the iconic drow (which is ironic since he plays so strongly against type). This, and some of Salvatore's other works, led to a whole slew of people that have an intense dislike for all things drow. That wouldn't be a problem except for one little detail; the group you're playing with has allowed their distaste for your character's race affect how they treat YOU. This is unacceptable.

You joined this game with the expectation that you'd be able to play a character of your choosing and they've passive-aggressively told you your choice is invalid. That's not cool.

You can try having a talk with them but I doubt it will have much effect, given the behavior already displayed. Your DM should've told you up-front that playing a drow wouldn't be a good idea instead of letting you roll up a character and then abusing that character for the lulz and the other players should've shown you at least a modicum of respect IC. Drow are supposed to be feared and reviled, not ridiculed and mocked.

CDG them in their sleep when it's your turn at watch, then stand up from the table and bid the players of the now-dead characters goodbye and good riddance.
    Agree with all said. I as a DM and player, wouldn't let you roll up a character without giving you some idea of what could be bad for your character. If I knew that Drow would be looked down upon, I would let you know right from the start, not waste your time making you and your character look like trash. =/
    ~//~ Feed the Fox! ~//~

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Don't you have Penetrating Strike? At least you would be able to fight the elementals,then.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Potentially sounds like the group or DM doesn't like you. How close are you all?
    Also, what are the other group members alignments? What are the other group member classes? Why were you the ONLY one unable to attack elementals? One would think other melee classes would have problems fighting them too, so how could they attack them?

Not saying you're at fault, but there are two sides to every story, and your side does seem extremely one sided unfortunately.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

This is a very bad DM. The DM has failed in his job to provide you with the necessary information to have a meaningful place in his game, and is using unexplained, exploitative tactics to bully you and your character without any indication of the reason.

If these guys are your personal friends I would say talk to them and try and figure out what their problem is. If this is just a PUG you've recently joined, I'd just walk and find a new group.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

If you have not done this talk to them. Maybe it could be settled outgame, that you are not happy with this stuff. When it does not help, kill them all, sell their stuff and watch what the GM does

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

On a side note, protection from evil wouldn't hinder you in the least unless you were attacking something or forcing something to make a save in the area (or attempting some kind of dark-elf-mind-trick).

I'm voting (against my normal grain, mind you) for CDG the party via DM notes, with intentional (and possibly fudged) move silently/hide rolls and descriptive attacks to the throats and lungs to prevent noise while the party sleeps. Then tell your DM: "I read up on Lawful Evil, the penalty for dissention is death."
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

Huge thanks to Howl for puting some Boomstick in my avatar

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crossblade View Post
    Why were you the ONLY one unable to attack elementals? One would think other melee classes would have problems fighting them too, so how could they attack them?
    Probably the immunity to sneak attack.
    Your best bet in those situations would be to get in there and use aid-another.

In general:
    If you can't hash it out by talking with the players, just leave. CDGing them in their sleep, then leaving isn't going to do crap but waste your time. If the group is really that bad, chances are once you leave, the DM will restore their characters to life and pretend you never existed, save for verbally bashing "that whiny brat drow."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

holy crap this reminds me of a guy in my group who used to try and DM but spent 45% of the session picking on his best friends character (Probably because he thought he could get away with it) taking his stuff, knocking him out with no save, etc, etc...... 45% completely favoring another person because he didn't want him pissed off at him, and the last 10% trying to figure out how to say "no" to my characters (Tried sending a pair of CR 16 fang drakes at my level 10 cleric......lets just say I had some new dragonhide to craft with afterwords).

needless to say I'm going to give you the same advice me and my group used. Just stop playing under this guy; it will save you a lot of headache. just make sure he understands that you don't hate him (Or you do as the case may be) just think hes a crap DM. My guy took it hard but no one in our group is particularly sympathetic on people who can't take tough news (its common for my friends to troll the perpetrator of something like this for weeks until he grows a pair and gets a sense of humor.)

well, just my 2cp, no ones ever called me subtle.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by herrhauptmann View Post
    Probably the immunity to sneak attack.
    Your best bet in those situations would be to get in there and use aid-another.

In general:
    If you can't hash it out by talking with the players, just leave. CDGing them in their sleep, then leaving isn't going to do crap but waste your time. If the group is really that bad, chances are once you leave, the DM will restore their characters to life and pretend you never existed, save for verbally bashing "that whiny brat drow."
    Eviscerating them in their sleep isn't supposed to accomplish anything. It's done purely for the visceral satisfaction of revenge.

I advocate it after trying to talk things out because, while I like to think of myself as a fairly reasonable person, I don't even pretend I'm a particularly nice person.

Though in this particular case, I have my doubts that a conversation is going to accomplish much.
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2012-11-10 at 04:57 AM.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

My advice: find out what the problem is, then decide.

Killing other PC's in their sleep for something that sounds like an out-of-game problem, as someone advised, is childish, and will alienate the players and DM against you. It's just a game, and I personally don't believe in burning bridges with real people because of a game.

It sure sounds like the DM and group is very immature, because they didn't tell you that playing an evil PC is seemingly unacceptable to them, and even now they don't explain why they pick on your character.

Talk it out with the DM first, he is supposed to have authority. If you need to roll a different character in order to have fun, you will have to decide if that is worth it to you. If not, just leave, but without exploding. Two wrongs etc.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

so, you choose to play:
    a LE character, a Drow, an assassin/poisoner.

IMHO each of the these traits is a GM-permission-only trait and you apparently don't know the GM well (and vice-versa), so I'm not sure how/why this character was approved.

My advice is to talk to the GM about each of the above traits and make sure that you agree on how they work in the campaign, and if you can't agree on that, how you can change your character to fit. If you and the GM just don't see eye-to-eye, leave.

After you and GM have agreed about your (new?) character, ask about help integrating the character into the group. Try to set up something for you to excel at, something that makes the rest of the group say "damn, I'm glad [Dissonance] was here to do that!". Traps, other renegade Drow to talk with, a strike-and-fade enemy (so poison is super-effective).
    Always kill your enemies, otherwise they will come back to haunt you - anon
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    No one will ever be able to question your sense of style when you explain that you cut your own hair with your boot knife. Mainly because if they do, you have a knife in your boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveD
    "A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most ****ed up game show. Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH! Behind door number 2: A magic crown! Behind door number 3: ten pounds of sugar being guarded by six giant KILLER BEES!"
    noface

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Maybe I should have said that this was PF in the title, sorry about that. Right now the make up could be described as CN gunslinger, CG oracle, and a person who has switched characters so much that she is on her 5th character since the campain started. (for reference she was the one that tried to pick the grimtooth trap with a knife)

We are all friends at the group. The reason I got Assassin was from the extension that the only evil allowed is LE. I also had to agree to being in an assassin's creed style guild. I didn't worry too much about that because I was going to betray and leave them at some point. (building a regime here) Then after the poison fiasco he drops that the guild has a caged revenant against me in case I leave, betray, do something stupid. He also hinted at a large undead presence within the guild. (Sending a bogeyman to wipe out a town just so a message can be delivered to me via Ecorche. Our base party lv is 7 at this point.) As my party lead in, I was contracted to kill the BBEG and later contracted to keep the party safe. Scoring a sweet bonus if I can keep them alive. (right now he probably hasn't drawn up how much yet. but I heard the word million in there somewhere. He likes to do things big) So far I have done nothing in character to warrant their attention. All they really know about my character is that I am contracted to keep them safe. The oracle knows I am evil because of the prot. from evil ward-thing. I'm playing the lawful part higher than the evil part so I have kept my word in all dealing and have been courteous to party.

I can try talking it out with them. I have no idea how he will take it and maybe if it can be toned down. I DID wait and not complain like a good little boy to see if he gives me anything else for my case. (which he did)