New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default High School of the Dead

Rofl. Just started watching this one. The first 5 episodes or so I thought to myself, "Finally! An awesome zombie anime to watch! Sure its a bit fan servicey, but I can put up with excessive jiggle and random panty shots." Then I hit episode 6 and 7. Holy crap. It just turned the fanservice up to 11, then created a few more levels for the hell of it. The bath scene was bad enough, but then none of the girls are bothering to get dressed past panty sleep wear stages. Even as they run out to go fight more zombies. I mean hell, one girl, the one that I thought was the least fanservice, is running around in a full length apron, tiny panties, and nothing else.

I know, it seems odd that im a healthy young man, NOT enjoying this, but I just feel its too excessive, even more so when its a part of an actual story, and one so serious and dangerous as a zombie apocalypse with tons of combat taking place. Im really hoping that at some point in episode 8 they get dressed a bit more. It is just hard to enjoy the awesome anime when im rolling my eyes at 75% naked women bouncing all over the place when it just doesnt fit into the feel of the story. Something like Queens Blade is one thing, the entire series is clearly based around mostly nude women beating the hell out of each other. This is a bunch of high school students trying to survive the end of the freaking world. And NOT through excessive sex.

*EDIT* Heh, episode 8 and back to normal levels of fanservice. bouncy bouncy.
    Last edited by Traab; 2012-11-08 at 04:36 PM.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: High School of the Dead

Heh High School of the Dead is the most over the top fan servicy anime about zombies ever. It's utterly hilarious.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

3. - Top - End - #3

Any idea how many seasons it is? Netflix only has the first season. Also, I gotta admit, I <3 the main guy and the sword chick as a relationship. They just seem well matched. Of course, apparently all but pinky love him too, (she has the hots for the gun wielding nerd) Ah well, more episodes await!

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Rofl. Just started watching this one. The first 5 episodes or so I thought to myself, "Finally! An awesome zombie anime to watch! Sure its a bit fan servicey, but I can put up with excessive jiggle and random panty shots." Then I hit episode 6 and 7. Holy crap. It just turned the fanservice up to 11, then created a few more levels for the hell of it. The bath scene was bad enough, but then none of the girls are bothering to get dressed past panty sleep wear stages. Even as they run out to go fight more zombies. I mean hell, one girl, the one that I thought was the least fanservice, is running around in a full length apron, tiny panties, and nothing else.

I know, it seems odd that im a healthy young man, NOT enjoying this, but I just feel its too excessive, even more so when its a part of an actual story, and one so serious and dangerous as a zombie apocalypse with tons of combat taking place. Im really hoping that at some point in episode 8 they get dressed a bit more. It is just hard to enjoy the awesome anime when im rolling my eyes at 75% naked women bouncing all over the place when it just doesnt fit into the feel of the story. Something like Queens Blade is one thing, the entire series is clearly based around mostly nude women beating the hell out of each other. This is a bunch of high school students trying to survive the end of the freaking world. And NOT through excessive sex.

*EDIT* Heh, episode 8 and back to normal levels of fanservice. bouncy bouncy.
    Awesome anime? What show have you been watching? High School of the Dead is one of my least favorite animes. Heck, it's tied for last with Bleach*. I'm not sure which is worse in my opinion as I could only stomach about 3 episodes of HSotD, while Bleach I was able to watch enough episodes to realize I hate. Had I watched more of HSotD, maybe I could decide, but I've been able to sit myself down and force myself to watch all 12 episodes.

You speak as though the fanservice is the only thing wrong with this show. It's much more than that. The characters are annoying and stupid. I couldn't relate to any of them so I didn't really care if they got eaten and all sense of horror and suspense was gone. The fanservice only cemented how stupid the show was; like it was a last ditch effort my the writers and animators: "Well, our show has no substance, might as try to appeal to the lowest common denominator." I know a lot of animes have fanservice, and I can usually tolerate it - I love Gurren Lagann - but fanservice seems to be a major them of the show - probably more so than the zombies who are in the title.

But that's just my humble opinion. What does everyone else think?

*Yeah, I know a lot of people like Bleach, but I couldn't stand all the filler and slow pace of episodes - and I watched all the episodes of Yu Yu Hakusho and most of Dragon Ball Z - and the ridiculous, not funny comic relief that ruined the tone of whatever scene it was in.

5. - Top - End - #5

Ill be honest, I like the series. I really wanted the, "Im a genius and you are all stupid" girl to just die in the early episodes, but now they are all growing on me. My main problem is, I cant remember anyones name, except sword chick, and thats only because it sounds like psycho. That may be more about the fact that they are japanese names though.

What I like about it currently, is that there is no real solution in sight. They are basically running around trying to survive another night, looking for a source of hope and safety but never finding it for long. Episodes 6 and 7 were way over the top, but it was neat in that you got to see them finally get a chance to relax for a minute. Now they are in the genius girls house, and its a freaking mansion. Lets see how long it takes to get overwhelmed. Im still waiting to find out the main guy has something on him thats just attracting the damn undead. Like a mystical device he has as a keepsake. Dude is like catnip for zombies.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

My humble opinion:

Despite its flaws, I like that it tries to be that classic zombie apocalypse scenario - no crazy powers or defeating the evil overlord of the undead horde, just having to figure out simple things like how to move around, where to sleep, how to fight, how to cope with loss. That said, you have to be willing to enjoy it for how utterly ridiculous it can be at times (I'm looking at you, slow motion bullet passing between Saeko's legs), or you're not going to enjoy it. I mostly look back on it fondly for what a spectacle it was, not its substance.
    High School Harem Comedy, my original game system!

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    My humble opinion:

Despite its flaws, I like that it tries to be that classic zombie apocalypse scenario - no crazy powers or defeating the evil overlord of the undead horde, just having to figure out simple things like how to move around, where to sleep, how to fight, how to cope with loss. That said, you have to be willing to enjoy it for how utterly ridiculous it can be at times (I'm looking at you, slow motion bullet passing between Saeko's legs), or you're not going to enjoy it. I mostly look back on it fondly for what a spectacle it was, not its substance.
    No no no, forget the slo mo bullets between her legs, what about the bullet passing between her swaying boobs? Literally, one goes up, the bullet passes underneath it. The other boob moves, and the bullet misses that one too. Those were some supersonic velocity boobie bounces. Also, as far as no crazy powers, sure, they werent making the zombies explode with the powers of their mind, but the ex girlfriend was using that pole of hers to fling zombies all over the place. Literally dead lifting them into the air. Martial artist or not, thats way beyond what her physical capabilities should be. Hell, they were pretty much all moving at captain america levels of physical prowess, and pulling off moves only seen in chop suey kung fu movies. Like, Saeko grabbing the guys arm as he drives past on his bike, and using the momentum to spin like a helicopter blade, smashing three zombies with one swing. In reality, her arm would have dislocated, he would have been yanked off the bike, and they all would have been eaten.
    Last edited by Traab; 2012-11-08 at 06:58 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

How about the flying motercycle sword spin attack of doom? That was hilarious.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    How about the flying motercycle sword spin attack of doom? That was hilarious.
    Heh, that was hilarious, but even the less visually spectacular moves like, them literally leaping up into the air over the heads of the zombies to bring a hammer blow down on their skulls. Also, I have to say, the abilities of the zombies dont seem very consistent. Take when the main guy and Seiko are on their own and sleep in that building. The next day zombies show up. But instead of literally just walking past them without talking to avoid detection, they act like they are trapped and have to bash and cleave their way out.

Not that I object. I personally reccomend that any group of wandering zombie survivors engage and destroy as many zombies as they can if they can do so safely. The more they kill, the less there are. And it doesnt matter if you leave a pile of dead bodies behind you, if you are moving on anyway.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Hah, in that case it's even more ridiculous than I remember!

The quintessential scene for me was the one where they come to rescue Takashi and that little girl in the Humvee. It's got Humvee-on-zombie violence, a needless bumpy road with gratuitous shots of the resultant bouncing, Saeko beating the crap out of zombies in a half-naked apron, and Hirano shouting "Jawohl!" and "Gotcha!" while blowing back a whole crowd of zombies with a shotgun, awesome background music playing all the while. Say what you will about the anime as whole, that's just one of my favorite scenes from any anime.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    Hah, in that case it's even more ridiculous than I remember!

The quintessential scene for me was the one where they come to rescue Takashi and that little girl in the Humvee. It's got Humvee-on-zombie violence, a needless bumpy road with gratuitous shots of the resultant bouncing, Saeko beating the crap out of zombies in a half-naked apron, and Hirano shouting "Jawohl!" and "Gotcha!" while blowing back a whole crowd of zombies with a shotgun, awesome background music playing all the while. Say what you will about the anime as whole, that's just one of my favorite scenes from any anime.
    Heh yeah, that was a pretty awesome scene. What I found really amusing though, was they forced the ditzy blonde doc to get dressed, and none of THEM bothered to pull on a pair of pants, or a shirt. Sure at least they were wearing something, while the blond was fully nude and unaware of it, (also funny) but still, "Hey guys! Lets go kill some zombies in our panties!" "HELL YEAH!"

So, noone has answered me yet. Is it just the one season? Or is there more to it than 12 episodes?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

I watched the first episode or so a while back: I just remember two schoolgirls skipping with eachother, and then one kicking the other into a zombie-filled staircase to excape without a care in the world.

Perhapes I need to watch it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Heh yeah, that was a pretty awesome scene. What I found really amusing though, was they forced the ditzy blonde doc to get dressed, and none of THEM bothered to pull on a pair of pants, or a shirt. Sure at least they were wearing something, while the blond was fully nude and unaware of it, (also funny) but still, "Hey guys! Lets go kill some zombies in our panties!" "HELL YEAH!"

So, noone has answered me yet. Is it just the one season? Or is there more to it than 12 episodes?
    I've been wondering this question myself, I really do hope it has more then just this one season, it's one of my more favorite anime as well :) Anything to do with Zombies and I'm hooked, no matter how fanservicey it gets.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    I watched the first episode or so a while back: I just remember two schoolgirls skipping with eachother, and then one kicking the other into a zombie-filled staircase to excape without a care in the world.

Perhapes I need to watch it again.
    Heh, it was pretty close to that. They were running through the school together, "Tra la la la la! We are BFF's FOREVER!" Then one got snagged by the ankle and the other kicked her in the chest to break her grip on her hand. Something like, "LET GO YOU BITCH!" Then karma struck fast, somehow she was surrounded herself and got eaten.

On a related note, how the hell does that work with getting eaten and turning into zombies? I mean, you are constantly seeing scenes of zombies chewing on random limbs and such right? But dont they turn into zombies really fast? If they dont, then we must have some worthless zombies out there, squirming along with one unchewed arm to drag themselves and no legs.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Regarding your previous question, I'm pretty sure it's just the one season. The manga continues on past where the anime left off, but I'm not sure if that's still ongoing or not.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

It was described to me as a zombie apocalypse cartoon as drawn by a horny teenage boy.

This basically made me unwilling to even attempt to watch it.

17. - Top - End - #17

Oh man, this show... I don't know whether I can say I liked it, but it certainly left an impression.
    All the fanservice is just so distracting... That woman's boinging buttocks and musical bosom is silly but amusing. But then there's more disturbing stuff... Like up-skirt shots of a woman being torn to pieces, and the camera paying WAY too much attention to a little girl putting on a new pair of undies
    ...still kinda wanna watch another season, though <.<

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Oh man, this show... I don't know whether I can say I liked it, but it certainly left an impression.
    All the fanservice is just so distracting... That woman's boinging buttocks and musical bosom is silly but amusing. But then there's more disturbing stuff... Like up-skirt shots of a woman being torn to pieces, and the camera paying WAY too much attention to a little girl putting on a new pair of undies
    ...still kinda wanna watch another season, though <.<
    Yeah the little girl getting changed was out of place, they could have shown just about any other part of her getting dressed and not done that. Although, we never see anything inappropriate, as she seems to be better able to dress without flashing the world than the girls around her 10 years older than she is. As for the upskirts of women in the process of being murdered, im ambivalent. It is clearly one of those "any excuse to look up a girls skirt" type shots, but its also something that fits into the context. Getting dragged in odd directions is going to make your skirt go in odd directions. It would have been just as easy to draw it from a non upskirt angle, but in that case, its one of the less stupid bits of fanservice as it doesnt stick out as much as say, apron and panty seiko.

19. - Top - End - #19

Ok, finished the entire 12 episode series on netflix. Overall impressions

I havent seen so much flesh bouncing since I watched a richard simmons sweatin to the oldies workout video. I have seen more underwear than are in a victorias secret catalog. Never before have I wanted to move to japan so much, as apparently every woman there is drop dead gorgeous, and could engulf my entire skull in their cleavage.

On a more serious note. I loved the premise. Zombie apocalypse is always great fun. I thought the execution was mostly excellent. The way people reacted made a lot of sense overall. The general panic, the swift death of fodder, the rallying of the survivor types, all of it was fairly standard fare for a zombie flick, but still well done. I liked the way the episodes flowed. The failing of many zombie flicks is they quickly find a place to hole up and until they run out of food, they are mostly safe. In this series it was a constant search for safe spots to rest and reload. There was no permanent safe spot, no convenient abandoned mall to take over, no isolated and easily reinforced farmstead, just a bunch of, "Ok, I dont see zombies, take a breather here till they show up" type of scenarios.

Truthfully, the series showed what I honestly feel would be the most likely outcome of a full scale zombie outbreak. Everyone likes to talk big. "Oh yeah, if the undead ever rise, I got a thousand bullets waiting for them right here." Yeah, no. Most people are easily panicked and unable or unwilling to fight back. The initial death toll would likely be fairly catastrophic. Especially in a scenario like this. Where apparently the dead were rising everywhere around the world at once. The only downside, and one that could be fixed in a second season, is the lack of an eventual counter attack by the larger groups of survivors, and the inevitable counters by the governments. They touched on it in episode 11-12, but for the most part, its like the entire world shut down and only the small squads of survivors still exist.

On the interpersonal relationships, I have to admit to being a bit unhappy with them. Takashi seemed to have the interest of all the girls there but Saya. A few seemed to make moves, or at least try, but there was very little progress. Its forgiveable considering this season took place over the course of all of what, 3 days? But I would have liked to see some really promising developments. Something more than the whole, "Hey, I think he and Saeko are getting close"

As for each character, I wanted Saya to die so badly at the start. God she was a total &^%(* to everyone. But for some reason, either she spent less time verbally assaulting everyone, or I just got used to it, I would just start to eye roll every time she went on a "Why are you so stupid?" rant. Takashi doesnt seem to change much really. I liked Saeko. She was always kind of interesting and mysterious. Then we got to learn about her past a bit and her issues, and it made for an interesting character. Though I still think she is effin weird from the apron thing. Rei was honestly a nonentity for me mostly. Her main purpose seemed to be to constantly make takeshi feel bad about their old relationship, and hurt him by bringing up her dead boyfriend. Oh yeah, and she made a great gun stand at once point. Towards the end she was clearly developing feelings for takeshi again, but I dunno exactly what the result was, other than her suddenly seeming to back off. Shizuka is just adorable. She is the most stereotypical blond airhead ever, and also fills in well with the "sexy teacher all the boys at school crush on" type of role, even if she is the nurse. I love her, just for being the over the top big breasted silly character she is. Alice is the team mascot. I felt bad for her at the start, and that scene where the humvee is trapped and she is begging nerd boy not to toss her over the fence and leave her all alone again was freaking excellent.

Overall, I would watch a second season of this. I would like to see how it all ends. I would like to see which, if any, girl takashi ends up with.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

I like to think that Hirano and Saeko are both based on a few of the reasons why the whole "zombie apocalypse" thing has gotten so popular with people: wanting all those "useless" skills you have to suddenly not be so useless anymore (Hirano) and the desire to be violent towards human-like enemies in a socially acceptable way (Saeko).

21. - Top - End - #21

Oh, and did some you tube searching, found info that apparently sometime in june or winter of 2013, there will be a second season released. Search for episode 13 if you want to see an english subtitle wafer thin excuse to show all the girls in tiny bikinis and have them making out with everyone.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

Oh, and did some you tube searching, found info that apparently sometime in june or winter of 2013, there will be a second season released.
    That's the most disappointing thing I've heard since I found out Revenge of the Fallen was getting a sequel.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    That's the most disappointing thing I've heard since I found out Revenge of the Fallen was getting a sequel.
    I know! Thats way too long to have to wait!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

I know! Thats way too long to have to wait!
    No. Just no.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, and did some you tube searching, found info that apparently sometime in june or winter of 2013, there will be a second season released. Search for episode 13 if you want to see an english subtitle wafer thin excuse to show all the girls in tiny bikinis and have them making out with everyone.
    YAY! More HSoD! That's pretty awesome to hear, really is a shame we have to wait so incredibly long for it though :-( I want it now! *Throws temper tantrum*

26. - Top - End - #26
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

Man, that show won me over the second it had the school nurse napping on her boobs.

It's got fanservice almost to the point of parody. I can't tell if they're doing it straight-faced or not. And that's fantastic.

Plus the teacher on the bus was amusing. Especially his sex cult and tossing dudes off the island.

27. - Top - End - #27

There is a scene later on where they shoot a female zombie in the chest, and the pettanko nerd girl shouts "STUPID SEXIST BULLET"

HSoD is basically ridiculous.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

I have to admit, and this is going to sound off, but the anime actually tones the fan-service up from in the manga and changes other little details. Like...Spear-girl and Saeko's ridiculous martial arts attacks? They don't really happen in the manga. Okay, Saeko still rides into battle atop a humvee in an apron and thong, but that's...possible. Not likely, but possible. The manga's actually pretty good about making things 'realistic' for a zombie apocalypse and the anime does manage to capture some of that, just not all of it.

You have the kids learning how to shoot (with Hirano's help) properly, needing to scavenge ammunition, etc. Trying to find safe spots of shelter. And, most importantly from the last time I checked the manga, dealing with the psychological stress of the situation. It's a bit of a spoiler but...

Spoiler
    Show
    Hirano begins to suffer symptoms of PTSD after a particularly traumatic event and begins putting the entire group in danger by walking down the street just shooting zombies.

He doesn't just suddenly snap and go crazy, it's portrayed very...'real' which just makes it all the sadder. He's not a closet sadist/psycopath like Saeko, he doesn't have martial arts training that might strengthen his will, and he's not the leader who has to be strong and keep the group together. He's just a gun nerd thrust into a violent situation and it gets to him.

Not to mention you do get to see things you normally don't see in zombie apocalypses...like a fully armed attack helicopter against a herd of zombies. Spoiler: The zombies don't win, and it's awesome. Or a larger group of survivors, plus return of the Orgy Bus.

Also, was I the only one who loved when the Orgy Bus rolled up on smart-girl's parents house and there's that one face-palm moment when it seems like the up-until-that-point reasonable adults look like they're ready to let in the cult leader (which would have undoubtedly spelled their doom) a mistake made in every zombie movie...and smart girl's dad turns to the kids and ask if he should let them in...then listens to what they say and forces him out? Cause I loved that. Way to shake the mold!

Also, reason there's so much...fan-service. The artist and author for High School of the Dead used to do manga of an adult nature and it's kinda obvious he channels those over-sexualized designs into HSotD.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't buy the "Ironic" fanservice so I don't buy this series.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Its been quite a while since I saw the show but what I recall...

It was funny and that's mostly it. Yeah, it had lots of fanservice but just like shows like Ikki Tousen (which I never saw) or Manyuu Hikenchou it's so ridiculously over the top it really is impossible for me to see it as anything but parody.

The thing is... it tries to be serious at times but this just utterly falls flat for me when they get back to breasts that deny every law of physics or something else ridiculous. You just can't work up a SDF guy shooting himself out of despair (iirc) being a traumatic, serious event in the context of everything else going on.

Also, I in general have a problem with zombie apocalypse stories, especially these without any explanation where it comes from like here. Random people just turn to zombies? And society just goes down the drain? This. Does. Not. Make. Sense. Okay, if we talk like every second person is a zombie but from what I got from the show there are still so many normal people, much more than zombies, and the zombies are blind and only quite a bit stronger due to lack of pain restraints or something. These things can not take over the world. I much prefer xkcd's take on the issue.
    Yeah, this kind of ruins most zombie movies for me... but HSotD at least is funny when it does not try to be serious. But I can see how people who dislike fanservice can't stand the show.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental