Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 66
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Banned
     
    ThiagoMartell's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Brazil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: High School of the Dead

    I hated the manga completely. I have never seen the anime.
    The fanservice bored me, everyone being a bastard bored me, the extreme gore disgusted me. The translation was also laughably bad. Then I read the original I noticed the original text was also laughably bad.

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Brother Oni's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cippa's River Meadow
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: High School of the Dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Everyone likes to talk big. "Oh yeah, if the undead ever rise, I got a thousand bullets waiting for them right here." Yeah, no. Most people are easily panicked and unable or unwilling to fight back.
    Especially in countries with stricter firearm laws than America. I believe Japan is even more restrictive than the UK, so resorting to melee weapons is a very realistic scenario.

    As others have pointed out, there are a numbers of logical flaws with the zombie apocalypse scenario, which pretty much stop me taking any such scenarios seriously.
    That said, I agree the initial death toll would be significant because to the high population density in Japan, but people would be able to hole up in their homes very effectively due to the way Japanese homes are constructed.

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Traab's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: High School of the Dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Its been quite a while since I saw the show but what I recall...

    It was funny and that's mostly it. Yeah, it had lots of fanservice but just like shows like Ikki Tousen (which I never saw) or Manyuu Hikenchou it's so ridiculously over the top it really is impossible for me to see it as anything but parody.

    The thing is... it tries to be serious at times but this just utterly falls flat for me when they get back to breasts that deny every law of physics or something else ridiculous. You just can't work up a SDF guy shooting himself out of despair (iirc) being a traumatic, serious event in the context of everything else going on.


    Also, I in general have a problem with zombie apocalypse stories, especially these without any explanation where it comes from like here. Random people just turn to zombies? And society just goes down the drain? This. Does. Not. Make. Sense. Okay, if we talk like every second person is a zombie but from what I got from the show there are still so many normal people, much more than zombies, and the zombies are blind and only quite a bit stronger due to lack of pain restraints or something. These things can not take over the world. I much prefer xkcd's take on the issue.
    Yeah, this kind of ruins most zombie movies for me... but HSotD at least is funny when it does not try to be serious. But I can see how people who dislike fanservice can't stand the show.
    The thing that keeps me from feeling the same way about a zombie apocalypse is fairly simple. Yes there are, for a time, more people than zombies. So what? Its not like its two armies on a battlefield or something. The numerically superior living are largely separated, many dont know whats going on, and a large portion of them couldnt bring themselves to kill until its too late. This is an experiment I wish could happen just to demonstrate the capacity of most people to kill. Take a thousand people, tell them to go over there and stomp the rabbit in the next room to death. I would be surprised if even half could make themselves do it. I would be even more surprised if a quarter could manage to do it without substantial hesitation first. It is not easy to convince yourself to do lethal damage. And hesitating in a zombie apocalypse scenario means you get bit and you get turned into something that wont hesitate to kill.

    Keep in mind how the series starts as well. The high school was infested before they got any warning about it. Suddenly there are say, a dozen zombies in a tightly confined area, biting every unarmed and panicky student in reach, and the total of zombies expands exponentially. Sure, if they had been watching tv earlier and gotten advance warning they might have been able to form up and put up a real fight, perhaps even hold the school, but they didnt get that warning and got wiped out mostly. That scenario likely repeated itself hundreds of times across the globe in a short time frame.

    And while I do agree that I wish they had mentioned the cause of "suddenly. . . ZOMBIES!" leaving it a mystery also helps me accept it, because that way there isnt some easily debunked excuse. "Pfft, government lab breakout? xkcd baby" For all we know, anyone who died in the last week just sat up and started biting. Or the graves of everything not too badly composed rose up or 15% of the population spontaneously mutated. We dont know, so its easier to believe it could happen.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Brother Oni's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cippa's River Meadow
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: High School of the Dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    This is an experiment I wish could happen just to demonstrate the capacity of most people to kill. Take a thousand people, tell them to go over there and stomp the rabbit in the next room to death. I would be surprised if even half could make themselves do it. I would be even more surprised if a quarter could manage to do it without substantial hesitation first. It is not easy to convince yourself to do lethal damage. And hesitating in a zombie apocalypse scenario means you get bit and you get turned into something that wont hesitate to kill.
    There's a difference between stomping on a defenceless harmless rabbit for the sake of an experiment and killing a lethal hostile threat in self defence.

    I personally would refuse to kill the rabbit for an experiment to prove that I could kill it. I would not hesitate to kill someone threatening my family with harm.
    I would kill the rabbit if I was to eat it. I have no philosophical or moral issue with eating meat and will kill and dress it with no problems (and have done). Besides, rabbit is tasty.

    I do agree that this relucatance to kill has been noticed, most commonly with the military training new soldiers. However it's also been found that modern new recruits have less (or even no) restraints in being taught to kill (the theorised reasons for this are a whole can of worms that would probably derail the thread).

    Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Keep in mind how the series starts as well. The high school was infested before they got any warning about it. Suddenly there are say, a dozen zombies in a tightly confined area, biting every unarmed and panicky student in reach, and the total of zombies expands exponentially.
    Except they don't multiply exponentially - only people who get bitten and get away successfully turn into zombies. The ones that don't get away, just get eaten (one of the reasons why a zombie apocalypse can't be taken seriously - their food source is also their form of reproduction, so if they're highly successful in 'hunting', there aren't many zombies; if they're not successful, they just get eliminated by the humans, assuming the humans aren't idiots and get their bitten treated or at least quarantined).

    As for tightly confined space, yes and no. I agree to the small areas, I disagree to the confinement as all schools have fire exits and a known fire drill (and in Japan, they have regularly practiced earthquake drills as well).
    In a school of ~1000 students, I doubt 12 infected could cause the entire school to be locked down, without being overrun and trampled by escaping students.

    Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    And while I do agree that I wish they had mentioned the cause of "suddenly. . . ZOMBIES!" leaving it a mystery also helps me accept it, because that way there isnt some easily debunked excuse. "Pfft, government lab breakout? xkcd baby" For all we know, anyone who died in the last week just sat up and started biting. Or the graves of everything not too badly composed rose up or 15% of the population spontaneously mutated. We dont know, so its easier to believe it could happen.
    I agree that leaving the source and biology of the zombies as unknown works better, since it makes them a credible threat without breaking suspension of belief.
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2012-11-09 at 08:07 AM.

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Traab's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: High School of the Dead

    About the whole zombies eating their targets, honestly, thats something that never made sense to me. What I THINK happens is, when there is a large crowd of fresh screaming meat, they go into a frenzy, biting and moving, biting and moving, and its only when things die down, and you see a lone student dragged under by a swarm that they actually start eating. Its the only way to explain why there are 2 zombies we see made at the start, the gym teacher (who died awfully fast from a bitten forearm) and the lady who i assume was the principal or something, with I think another 2 targets right there, then bang, swarms of them shortly after the students start freaking out. Plus, the 28 days later level of infection speed helps alot too. I wouldnt be surprised if a large number of freshly killed students woke back up missing a relatively small handful of chunks of flesh. The zombies seem to ignore each other, so as soon as one wakes up, im sure the rest stop eating it.

    By the time the announcement went out, they had clearly made their way indoors and to the main office, or wherever the intercom system is setup. We have no way of knowing exactly how many people got bitten and turned between scenes. We dont know if any split off and entered open classroom doors. We also have no way of knowing where they were in relation to the main exits. Be honest, do you really think that panicked herd of sheep were thinking coherently enough to aim for fire escapes and other random exit points? They seemed to be moving in one vast swarm, most likely for the front door. The exact location the zombies most likely entered themselves. Easy meat for a bloodbath. They would have log jammed themselves WITHOUT zombies in the main foyer waiting on them. Hell, we SEE the students getting trampled in the mad rush for the doors. A dozen zombies that are, according to the research done during the show, noticeably stronger than average, blocking the way out? I can see that happening. The first line of students gets crushed against them and bitten, then 5 seconds later turn and start biting those behind them.

    I agree with you about the rabbit thing, perhaps a rabid dog would be a better option? That way you have a creature that is potentially lethally dangerous, one that needs to be put down for the protection of everyone. And one that wouldnt be easily killed without a gun in hand. How many would be willing to even enter that room? How many would be able to fight it off without getting bitten? How many would be able to kill it effectively without hesitation?

    Thats about how I think a zombie scenario would go down. You would have people who refuse to try and fight for various reasons, shock, sorrow at seeing their friends and family attacking them, horror at the very scary sight, you have people who have never even tried to kill something before hesitating, or being ineffective at fighting and getting bitten, and the very few capable of fighting back decently would mostly keep going, (bad luck happens) Maybe exponentially is the wrong word. The absolute best they could do is double their numbers every time they bite something, and they wont all be biting at the same time. Still, the growth of zombies would be very high in a school full of mostly unarmed panicky students and teachers.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Scowling Dragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: High School of the Dead

    Thing is, Zombies fall under "Uncanny valley".

    They look CLOSE to us, but are slightly off. Thus a zombie is more likely to trigger "AAAAAA DIE" then "OMG I can't do it".

    So the zombies have the advantage for a few days till they begin to rot.

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Traab's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: High School of the Dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    Thing is, Zombies fall under "Uncanny valley".

    They look CLOSE to us, but are slightly off. Thus a zombie is more likely to trigger "AAAAAA DIE" then "OMG I can't do it".

    So the zombies have the advantage for a few days till they begin to rot.
    I dunno, I dont think they qualify as uncanny valley for the most part. Isnt that generally things where they look almost perfectly human but there is just something off about them? These guys are just flat out scary looking. They are covered with blood, have white eyes, and are staggering towards you in large numbers moaning. They may be your friends, they may be your neighbors, they may be your family. But now they are coming towards you threateningly. Thats gotta be one hell of a shock and hard to just throw aside. I mean, I can see having a hard time shooting your own wife in the head when you havent been given any time to come to terms with the situation yet.

    One thing that I think also increases the death toll is something the gun nut said towards the end. There are people out there that will just refuse to accept whats happening. They will refuse to believe this is real, that these things are dead, that they want to kill anything human sized that moves. They will waste their lives trying to negotiate, communicate, capture and study instead of kill.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Kato's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: High School of the Dead

    Okay, the thing is, genre savvy-ness. We are a pretty specific crowd of people and if we actually get attacked by zombies we are pretty much programmed to realize "**** is going down, it's them or us."
    A lot of people would be much more skeptical about what is going on and more hesitant. I had little quarrel to kill something that seriously threatened me, to my meager capabilities. Or run away. Weren't the HSotD zombies ridiculously slow, like Dawn of the Dead slow? You can outrun them at a steady walking pace.

    Yes, you need to realize they are a threat but that's the big point, unless the zombies start with some massive advantage. HSotD zombies from what we know, don't have that. Yeah, they are strong, but aren't they even blind or were those others? Admittedly, normal people would have a hard time to destroy them but running to the next police station or using armed forces would take easily care of them.

    Super-human zombies like in Resident Evil are another thing but the slow zombies... of course they'll make some kills but unless humanity is totally stupid they could never destroy society.
    "What's done is done."

    Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Brother Oni's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cippa's River Meadow
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: High School of the Dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    About the whole zombies eating their targets, honestly, thats something that never made sense to me.
    As I understand it, the whole 'zombies eat living flesh' mythology stems solely from the 1968 Night of the Living Dead film. Prior to that, zombies were pretty much only the murderous undead with no eating, or the Haitian voodoo zombie.

    Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    The zombies seem to ignore each other, so as soon as one wakes up, im sure the rest stop eating it.
    Again, something else that doesn't make sense. If they eat ostensibly because they're hungry, then why would they stop once their prey stops moving? Is there some sort of special 'zombie sense' they possess that stops them feeding on each other?

    Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I agree with you about the rabbit thing, perhaps a rabid dog would be a better option? That way you have a creature that is potentially lethally dangerous, one that needs to be put down for the protection of everyone. And one that wouldnt be easily killed without a gun in hand. How many would be willing to even enter that room? How many would be able to fight it off without getting bitten? How many would be able to kill it effectively without hesitation?
    While I'd be hard pressed to think of anybody who wouldn't agree with killing a rabid dog, I think we're moving away from your 'reluctance to kill' scenario and more into the 'are you physically capable of killing' area.

    Having been attacked by a pack of dogs while unarmed, I can attest it's harder than it sounds to avoid being bitten, but since humans aren't designed to use biting as a primary attack, it's a somewhat different scenario.

    As for the hesitancy, I would agree that most would be hesitant, but for an entirely different reason - how to attack it without being bitten, rather than a reluctance to kill.

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Traab's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: High School of the Dead

    While I'd be hard pressed to think of anybody who wouldn't agree with killing a rabid dog, I think we're moving away from your 'reluctance to kill' scenario and more into the 'are you physically capable of killing' area.

    Having been attacked by a pack of dogs while unarmed, I can attest it's harder than it sounds to avoid being bitten, but since humans aren't designed to use biting as a primary attack, it's a somewhat different scenario.

    As for the hesitancy, I would agree that most would be hesitant, but for an entirely different reason - how to attack it without being bitten, rather than a reluctance to kill.
    Honestly, its a combination of the two. Most people are reluctant to kill. And the backup reason why people are ruined is, even if they are willing, its not easy to pull off safely. Yes humans suck at using biting as a primary attack. However, they are very good at grabbing and biting whatever they can pull towards them. They dont have to kill with their bite, just break the skin. They grab ahold of your arm, your hand, whatever dangly bit they can snag, and you are about to die. That makes killing them safely a difficult task. And since most people wont have a firearm close at hand, melee combat is the main source of fighting, and thats dangerous.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mordokai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007

    Default Re: High School of the Dead

    I enjoyed the show greatly, despite the over-the-top fanservice. Hell, sometimes I enjoyed it because of it It had great characters and interesting story and lots of development. And anything with zombies is always a plus in my books. I would love seeing more parts dearly.

    Hell, this topic had me going enough to start watching it again.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

    Liara is to Mass Effect as Thrall is to Warcraft.

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Callos_DeTerran's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    ...

    Default Re: High School of the Dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Also, I in general have a problem with zombie apocalypse stories, especially these without any explanation where it comes from like here. Random people just turn to zombies? And society just goes down the drain? This. Does. Not. Make. Sense. Okay, if we talk like every second person is a zombie but from what I got from the show there are still so many normal people, much more than zombies, and the zombies are blind and only quite a bit stronger due to lack of pain restraints or something. These things can not take over the world. I much prefer xkcd's take on the issue.
    That's part of the problem in HSotD actually, people think they know what's wrong and why people are turning into zombies and take what they think are appropriate measures...they are wrong. In the short time span since the series begins, most people still seem to believe that 'them' are just infected people who can be cured. Smart-girl rips this theory down to pieces because of how the apocalypse happened, zombies just started appearing everywhere all at once, they're ignoring some basic laws of nature, etc. and points out how a virus couldn't have done this. Does she offer up an alternate explanation? No, cause she doesn't have one.

    More importantly, HSotD is happening during the 'aftermath' period. These are the days right after it all started. Some people aren't sure how to kill them, others don't want to, heck the main characters are still holding out hope that their family members are still alive! A grand total of...a week? Two? Has passed and that's it. Governments are still recovering, rescue efforts are still being dispatched, and it's as bad as it is in Japan because of the high population density. See the bridge incident at the beginning. People are panicking and trying to rush a police blockade to get to safety. This is already dangerous cause the police can't let them pass or risk causing more chaos or letting the infected through.

    Then zombies show up and it becomes a blood bath. That's happening all over Japan at the beginning of the series.

    Cut to what will be the second season. Survivors have begun to find places they can hold up and wait for rescue (one group of survivors (not saying which!) actually does get rescued). Heck, if it hadn't been for the EMP, the main characters would still be safe which is probably why there was an EMP in the first place. In any case, you see signs that the Japanese government is finally recovering from the shock of a zombie apocalypse outbreak and is retaliating.

    Again...Attack Helicopter vs. Zombies. It's glorious. There's other examples of this you get to see, but ordinary people's minds are starting to break down in the face of what's happening too. Sure, you can say a zombie apocalypse wouldn't affect you in putting down zombies...but lets face it, that's probably bravado. This is causing additional tensions cause most people know how to handle the zombies by now. Heck, the zombies aren't that dangerous in the beginning of the show/manga. Saeko walks at a brisk pace down a hallway and just pushes them out of her way with her wooden sword cause she realizes she's only in real danger if she stops to fight and gives them a chance to gang up on her. They can't catch her and she can keep them at arm's length with her sword so they can't bite her. Until she hits a group barring her path, she handles the outbreak like a champ.

    One last point...Japan is...like...the worst place for a zombie outbreak to happen. With their strict gunlaws (one Japanese person I talked told me a little about it), not even police have guns most of the time, they're only broken out if the situation explicitly calls for it or the SDF is called in. That means you have a high population density on a confined island with strict gun-laws meaning that maybe one in twenty people has a gun (post outbreak) but only one in...forty? Fifty? A hundred? Will know how to actually use it. This means survivors need to go into me...oh right. Melee. Zombies. Horrible idea, cause they're stronger then you and don't feel pain. Remember, Hirano is a geek and an outcast for liking guns as much as he does...and he only knows how to actually use them cause he went to America and practiced shooting with an uncle or something. He's the exception, not the norm. Other countries might not/probably aren't as badly affected as Japan (USA might be an exception, cause it seems a fair bit of the chain of command was unlucky and got bit before they escaped).
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

    Spoiler
    Show




  13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Traab's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: High School of the Dead

    Yeah, im pretty sure they were down a dozen or more places on the chain of command by the time the nukes got launched. I recall the sub captain mentioning the homeland security chief was president briefly, but had already been infected. THATS SEVENTEEN LEVELS DOWN THE CHAIN. In all seriousness, do you think anyone would actually obey the guy that was number 20 on the list of succession? I mean, im sure earl from accounting is great at his job and all, that doesnt make him presidential material.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Forum Explorer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: High School of the Dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Yeah, im pretty sure they were down a dozen or more places on the chain of command by the time the nukes got launched. I recall the sub captain mentioning the homeland security chief was president briefly, but had already been infected. THATS SEVENTEEN LEVELS DOWN THE CHAIN. In all seriousness, do you think anyone would actually obey the guy that was number 20 on the list of succession? I mean, im sure earl from accounting is great at his job and all, that doesnt make him presidential material.
    Random thought
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Umm Earl, everyone else is dead. I guess you get to be President.
    "

    "Well it's about damn time!"
    In order to understand recursion you must first understand recursion.


    Thanks to Elder Tsofu for my new Lancer Avatar

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Kato's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: High School of the Dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Yeah, im pretty sure they were down a dozen or more places on the chain of command by the time the nukes got launched. I recall the sub captain mentioning the homeland security chief was president briefly, but had already been infected. THATS SEVENTEEN LEVELS DOWN THE CHAIN. In all seriousness, do you think anyone would actually obey the guy that was number 20 on the list of succession? I mean, im sure earl from accounting is great at his job and all, that doesnt make him presidential material.
    But that's part of the problem. How did they get to kill/infect so many people? It doesn't make sense from my point of view. Unless half of them happened to be turned at the beginning. Those guys should be able to get to places so save they could never be attacked by something as brainless as a zombie, be it a bunker or a military base with 1000 armed soldiers. These zombies are stupid and don't have any idea what they are doing. HsotD along with many other zombie apocalypse stories either give humanity way too little credit how to handle a crisis or just put them in a bad situation to keep their story going.

    Another thing... Yeah, any country with stricter gun laws than th US is kind of in a much bigger hassle but still, these zombies are not that dangerous. Fighting them with a kitchen knife would probably be a pretty bad idea but one can improvise quite a few thing if one isn't as ill equipped as my household. (Yeah, I'd be pretty screwed I'll admit) But if you are ready to use them - which I admit is something to argue about - there are a lot of fun things to kill zombies with in a usual household. (Worst case scenario make your own spear with a broom and a knife and some string. It's not the best weapon but it works to stab their faces if you are fighting one at a time)

    Heck, all this discussion really makes me wish for a zombie apocalypse just to see how it would play out
    "What's done is done."

    Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Traab's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: High School of the Dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    But that's part of the problem. How did they get to kill/infect so many people? It doesn't make sense from my point of view. Unless half of them happened to be turned at the beginning. Those guys should be able to get to places so save they could never be attacked by something as brainless as a zombie, be it a bunker or a military base with 1000 armed soldiers. These zombies are stupid and don't have any idea what they are doing. HsotD along with many other zombie apocalypse stories either give humanity way too little credit how to handle a crisis or just put them in a bad situation to keep their story going.

    Another thing... Yeah, any country with stricter gun laws than th US is kind of in a much bigger hassle but still, these zombies are not that dangerous. Fighting them with a kitchen knife would probably be a pretty bad idea but one can improvise quite a few thing if one isn't as ill equipped as my household. (Yeah, I'd be pretty screwed I'll admit) But if you are ready to use them - which I admit is something to argue about - there are a lot of fun things to kill zombies with in a usual household. (Worst case scenario make your own spear with a broom and a knife and some string. It's not the best weapon but it works to stab their faces if you are fighting one at a time)

    Heck, all this discussion really makes me wish for a zombie apocalypse just to see how it would play out

    I agree somewhat with the "everyone gets turned" in the presidential chain complaint. Normally they are kept mostly separate specifically to avoid mass killings wiping out the chain of command. But on the other hand, it seems this outbreak happened all over the place all at once. Which brings me to my second point.

    You talk about how people could improvise weapons pretty easily, and to an extent you are right. The problem is the lack of time to react. As an example, the high school itself was swarming before they even knew they were under attack. They didnt even know what was going on, just that SOMETHING attacked and killed intercom guy.

    This is a scenario that likely repeated itself a LOT. As not many people spend time watching daytime tv, so they would easily miss the attempts to warn them over the emergency channels of the huge problem on the streets, so the first inclination of something being wrong is when someone is banging at their doors, and they open up to get eaten. Its surviving that initial realization of whats going on that gets tricky. If the students had known from the moment the first zombie was banging on the gates what was going on, they likely could have been kept together and made those improvised weapons, and proceeded to defend the school for the next week or three. But when your first inclination of trouble is a zombie in your face, that causes problems.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mordokai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007

    Default Re: High School of the Dead

    Ok, I just finished rewatching the twelve episodes that are out so far. And let me say, I haven't had so much fun in a long while As I remembered, the action was over the top, the characters were amusing and believable, there was witty banter and good story and there were zombies who made were satisfying noises when you crunch their heads. There were some powerful scenes that, wouldn't I be the jaded, souless bastard that I am, would probably make me cry. And there was lots, lots... LOTS of fanservice. You know what? It didn't bother me at all. It actually complemented the other happenings well. For example, the sixth episode(the one with almost-but-not-quite-a-lesbian-orgy one) was just delightfuly funny, what with stark contrast that the already mentioned scene puts againt the happening on the bridge all together few blocks away. Hirano and Komoku's banter just gave that extra mile. The only part of fanservice that really stood out for me was when Komoku shot two bullets, one in between Saeko's legs(with a graceful panty shot, of course) and the other between her boobies. That one would probably have me falling down with laughter, if I wasn't lying on bed already. Also, I love the chemistry between the characters and some of them growing up during the course of the story, Saya being the prime example.

    So yeah, I seriously hope we get more and that we get is soon Any rumors on that?
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

    Liara is to Mass Effect as Thrall is to Warcraft.

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Traab's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: High School of the Dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    Ok, I just finished rewatching the twelve episodes that are out so far. And let me say, I haven't had so much fun in a long while As I remembered, the action was over the top, the characters were amusing and believable, there was witty banter and good story and there were zombies who made were satisfying noises when you crunch their heads. There were some powerful scenes that, wouldn't I be the jaded, souless bastard that I am, would probably make me cry. And there was lots, lots... LOTS of fanservice. You know what? It didn't bother me at all. It actually complemented the other happenings well. For example, the sixth episode(the one with almost-but-not-quite-a-lesbian-orgy one) was just delightfuly funny, what with stark contrast that the already mentioned scene puts againt the happening on the bridge all together few blocks away. Hirano and Komoku's banter just gave that extra mile. The only part of fanservice that really stood out for me was when Komoku shot two bullets, one in between Saeko's legs(with a graceful panty shot, of course) and the other between her boobies. That one would probably have me falling down with laughter, if I wasn't lying on bed already. Also, I love the chemistry between the characters and some of them growing up during the course of the story, Saya being the prime example.

    So yeah, I seriously hope we get more and that we get is soon Any rumors on that?
    Yep, the hypersonic boobie bounce should go down in history as both awesome and hilarious. And the rumors have been on youtube that season 2 will be out either june or december of next year, depending on which rumors you want to believe. So expect it to be a year, and you might be pleasantly surprised.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    A Rainy Knight's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In the rain.

    Default Re: High School of the Dead

    Whoa, this is the first I've heard of a second season. Not that I'm complaining, though!

    Or, to put my reaction a slightly cheekier way:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Beautiful avatar of peerless beauty by Kasanip!
    Sigatars by Prime32 and Kasanip/me.
    High School Harem Comedy, my original game system!


    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
    Dangit Rainy, why must you be so smart?

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mordokai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007

    Default Re: High School of the Dead

    Not soon enought, but I'll take what I can get, as long as DO get it

    Oh yeah, one more thing. I'm reading Tv Tropes entry and I just came upon the mildly infamous "I'm getting wet." line, said by Saeko. Episode seven or so in anime, I believe. I had my, shall we say, doubts, before, but seeing this is under the "Sex IS Violence" entry... am I correct to assume she meant wet... down there?

    Don't take me for puritanic or anything. But I'm not a regular anime watcher so I just have to ask... is this a norm? Because jeez, this just seems, I don't know... kinda over the top?
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

    Liara is to Mass Effect as Thrall is to Warcraft.

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Traab's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: High School of the Dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    Not soon enought, but I'll take what I can get, as long as DO get it

    Oh yeah, one more thing. I'm reading Tv Tropes entry and I just came upon the mildly infamous "I'm getting wet." line, said by Saeko. Episode seven or so in anime, I believe. I had my, shall we say, doubts, before, but seeing this is under the "Sex IS Violence" entry... am I correct to assume she meant wet... down there?

    Don't take me for puritanic or anything. But I'm not a regular anime watcher so I just have to ask... is this a norm? Because jeez, this just seems, I don't know... kinda over the top?
    Not normal for her. She basically resolved her mental problems that she enjoys the ultra violence a little too much by accepting that its ok and her love interest isnt going to reject her over it while in the process of slicing and dicing a ton of zombies with her shiny new sword she stole from a freaking shrine. Honestly, it came (hur hur) outta left field for me while watching it.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mindfreak's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: High School of the Dead

    ...the Full Color Omnibus is amazing. Chock full of extras and character designs, it's absolutely amazing.
    Infernal Mindfreak selling Hell as Heaven by Savanna. Thank you, love!
    Nexus Characters | Pokemon RPG Rules
    I am without Internet

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mordokai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007

    Default Re: High School of the Dead

    Ok, I watched the 13th episode on youtube and I have two things to say.

    1) Da faq did I just saw?
    2) If I wasn't at work, I'd be laughting out loud.

    Seriously, if you thought fanservice was bad until now, you haven't seen anything yet

    Also, Takashi is serious bad ass. To keep four zombies at bay, whole night, alone, while intoxicated beyond belief... that takes some serious skills.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

    Liara is to Mass Effect as Thrall is to Warcraft.

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Traab's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: High School of the Dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    Ok, I watched the 13th episode on youtube and I have two things to say.

    1) Da faq did I just saw?
    2) If I wasn't at work, I'd be laughting out loud.

    Seriously, if you thought fanservice was bad until now, you haven't seen anything yet

    Also, Takashi is serious bad ass. To keep four zombies at bay, whole night, alone, while intoxicated beyond belief... that takes some serious skills.
    Well, since they were just hallucinations, im not that impressed. And yeah, that was clearly fanservice of the second highest caliber. Its still episode 6 that is the champion of fanservice. Everything from the group bath, to sleepy = drunk behavior from the girls, (Seriously, the nurse has wandering hands and a wish to kiss the boys in nothing but a towel? She was acting so drunk at that point) to odd choices in nightwear. Ie panties and an apron, nothing but a towel, panties and a shirt, etc etc etc. It wouldnt have been that much of a thing in a girls only scenario, but they are just wandering around in front of these guys like they are fully dressed nuns or something. I have known a few girls who act that way about casual states of undress, but never so many at once.

    But episode 6 aside, 13 was hilarious. They might as well filled the screen with lampshades dangling off of everything just to fully demonstrate how much fun they were having going that far with the episode. Yay we are on a deserted island paradise! Wow, what a coincidence, the only building here is a bikini shop! Yay, lets all get high off random fumes and start getting naked!"
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Mordokai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007

    Default Re: High School of the Dead

    I'm not sure I'm following you. The illusion he saw was Saeko, wanting to have sex with him. The zombies he's fending off are very real, on the other hand. As least, that's my impression. Correct me if I'm wrong.

    And while episode six is pretty raunchy, it cannot compete with the last one. I mean, for heavens sake, that one had a single, uncensored *le gasp* nipple!

    Parents, hide your children!!!
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

    Liara is to Mass Effect as Thrall is to Warcraft.

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Kato's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: High School of the Dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    I'm not sure I'm following you. The illusion he saw was Saeko, wanting to have sex with him. The zombies he's fending off are very real, on the other hand. As least, that's my impression. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    No, that's the impression I got as well. They were pretty clear on it, too. But I wouldn't call it badass since anything in that episode is just so hilarious you can't take anything serious.
    Well... except Saeko and Rei making out...

    And while episode six is pretty raunchy, it cannot compete with the last one. I mean, for heavens sake, that one had a single, uncensored *le gasp* nipple!

    Parents, hide your children!!!
    There was? I must have missed it. Or are we talking about Takashi's nipples?


    I guess I should go back and watch episode 6 again, I could need some cheering up today. I'll be in my bunk!
    "What's done is done."

    Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Traab's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: High School of the Dead

    Well, the zombies looked like undead versions of the girls iirc. And the real girls were standing over him sweatdropping as it sounded like he was having happy time with all of them.

    *EDIT* Saeko was the one hallucinating being with takeshi. We never saw his hallucination, not until the little girl called everyone over and they see him flailing away on the ground, sounding like he is having happy fun times with them all, in reality, he was hallucinating some slow motion struggle to hold all the girls off of him because he saw them as zombies.
    Last edited by Traab; 2012-11-12 at 03:53 PM.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    A Rainy Knight's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In the rain.

    Default Re: High School of the Dead

    Well, just checked it out for myself, finally. That episode... was pretty much what I ought to expect from HOTD, honestly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    There was? I must have missed it. Or are we talking about Takashi's nipples?
    I think he's referring to Shizuka in the infamous bath scene during the quick recap at the beginning of the episode - which incidentally was some pretty good self-aware humor in itself.

    Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    *EDIT* Saeko was the one hallucinating being with takeshi. We never saw his hallucination, not until the little girl called everyone over and they see him flailing away on the ground, sounding like he is having happy fun times with them all, in reality, he was hallucinating some slow motion struggle to hold all the girls off of him because he saw them as zombies.
    I was under the impression that we did see Takashi's hallucination since they find him fending off the zombies in the same place he was hallucinating about Saeko before. Rei and Saeko were apparently just making out on the beach the whole time.
    Beautiful avatar of peerless beauty by Kasanip!
    Sigatars by Prime32 and Kasanip/me.
    High School Harem Comedy, my original game system!


    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
    Dangit Rainy, why must you be so smart?

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    JadedDM's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: High School of the Dead

    What episode 13 are you guys talking about? The OAV?
    The problem with the more recent editions of D&D is that at some point the term 'player empowerment' was twisted to mean 'player entitlement.'

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    A Rainy Knight's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In the rain.

    Default Re: High School of the Dead

    Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    What episode 13 are you guys talking about? The OAV?
    That's "Drifters of the Dead," right? That's what I'm talking about.
    Beautiful avatar of peerless beauty by Kasanip!
    Sigatars by Prime32 and Kasanip/me.
    High School Harem Comedy, my original game system!


    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
    Dangit Rainy, why must you be so smart?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •