New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: So...any Hip-Hop fans here? At all?

I tend to consider hip-hop to be more musical than rap, but it's hardly my field of expertise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Links and reccomendations for those of us who aren't so well versed would be nice. Just... putting that out there.
    Brit-Hop
    Dan Le Sac and/or Scroobius Pip: The Beat That My Heart Skipped, Thou Shalt Always Kill
    The Streets: Fit But You Know It, Let's Push This Forward
    Gorillaz: Clint Eastwood, 19-2000

Chap-Hop
    Professor Elemental: Cup Of Brown Joy, Fighting Trousers

US Hip-Hop
    Flobots: Handlebars
    Sir Mix-A-Lot: Baby Got Back (...it's catchy <.<)

Skip-Hop
    1200 Techniques: Karma
    Butterfingers: I Love Work, Ya Mama (that second one isn't really hip-hop, but although many of the other pieces I've linked to here have naughty words, his other main songs are so filthy I think I'd better not. Look him up, though!)
    Drapht: Jimmy Recard, Sing It,
    Wilcannia Mob: Down River
    Hilltop Hoods: Nosebleed Section, Chase That Feeling
    Horrorshow: Thoughtcrime (Doin' My Think)
    Sonic Animation: Theophilus Thistler
    Phrase: Clockwork (honestly I prefer the song they sample), Spaceship
    The Herd: I Was Only 19 (strongly recommended - bloody gets me every time), The Sum Of It All
    Pez: The Festival Song

Silly Hip-Hop
    Flight of the Conchords: Hiphopopotomus vs. Rhymenoceros, Hurt Feelings (Tears of a Rapper), Mutha Uckers
    Jon Lajoie: Everyday Normal Guy (lots of swearing), Show Me Your Genitals (...self-explanatory)

...and the bit I meant by poetry is stuff like Eminem and there's no way I'm linking to that here.

So, how's that?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

I am a big fan of hip hop. I will admit that I haven't heard much of the newer stuff (and rarely like it) but some artists that I like a lot are:

- Binary Star

- Atmosphere

- CunninLynguists

- Blackstar (Mos Def/Talib Kwali)

- The Roots

- Brother Ali

There's a bunch more like the Flobots, Common, A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Aesop Rock, MURS, Felt (MURS and Atmosphere), People Under the Stairs, Soul Position, and many many more.

I will say that I like Kanye West (kinda) but I don't consider that Hip Hop, more in the 'Rap' category for me. For me (just a personal thing) Rap is mainstream on the radio/in the clubs. It is backed by a large label and has more emphasis on the rhythm with catchy hooks and beats. Conversely, I think of Hip Hop as more lyrical in nature where there is more thought put into the music.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait, people like the Flobots? I always thought they were essentially universally reviled.

I think I would've liked A Tribe Called Quest better if I'd heard them when I was younger. Hearing them when I did, it's hard to put up with the lackluster, sing-songy flow for the sake of generally fine lyrics, especially hearing the massive cloud of hype that surrounds them. I don't really dislike them or anything, but I also don't understand the massive parade of accolades heaped upon them.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Overall I dislike most of the newer stuff, especially the "bling" and "club" rap
    I was a pretty huge fan of the genre quite a few years back mostly
    RZA/GZA/wutang in general (before the gravel pit and later stuff came out)
    Prince Paul
    Gangstarr

and also some pretty aweswome french hiphop
    Freeman link

Iam link

ntm link

/edit links are dailymotion because as a german its pretty darn hard to get youtube links for music, our content industry would like to get an arbitrary amount of money from google and they said no ^^

some german stuff I listened to

Fünf Sterne link

Doppelkopf link
    Last edited by Emmerask; 2012-11-15 at 06:42 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zrak View Post
    Wait, people like the Flobots? I always thought they were essentially universally reviled.
    I adore Handlebars. When I first heard it I listened to it over and over, and I consider it to be one of the most superbly constructed pieces I've ever heard. I don't mind their other stuff, but it's sort of more rappy than I like. And my goodness are they preachy...

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Holy crap, the new P.O.S. kills.
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

You guys heard this Action Bronson/Alchemist mixtape yet? I liked the dude's earlier stuff including the mixtape he did with Party Supplies from earlier this year. Tomorrow morning I'll definitely be downloading it. If you guys wanna beat me to the punch here it is.

I like the skate punk-esque album cover.