New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XIV: Return of the Pokémon Thread Strikes Back Harder

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Crazy idea for Gen VI: starters are the pseudo-legendaries, and all evolve to X/Dragon final forms.
    Competent starters that aren't Fire/Fighting would be nice.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XIV: Return of the Pokémon Thread Strikes Back Harder

I'd like a non-legendary Fire/Dragon, too.

3. - Top - End - #33

Grass/Dragon would be a pretty terrible typing, though. Weak to... Poison, Flying, Bug, Dragon and Ice (4x), and very little offensive synergy. Fire/Dragon would be pretty awesome, though. STAB perfect coverage goes a long way.
    Last edited by Othesemo; 2012-11-09 at 06:48 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Othesemo View Post
    Grass/Dragon would be a pretty terrible typing, though. Weak to... Poison, Flying, Bug, Dragon and Ice (4x), and very little offensive synergy. Fire/Dragon would be pretty awesome, though. STAB perfect coverage goes a long way.
    And the Water dragon could have crazy high defenses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

It's not quite perfect coverage unless you're Reshiram (Heatran is the only Pokémon currently in existence that resists it due to Flash Fire).

Also, the problem with Grass/anything is that Grass is a pretty lousy type in general. Note that Ferrothorn loses more than it gains from its Grass half resistances-wise, the only thing that it really gains from it are Leech Seed and a STAB attack with over 100 base power. (It also gets Ingrain, but that's less useful than Leech Seed)

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Competent starters that aren't Fire/Fighting would be nice.
    My Empoleon is insulted by the implications of this comment.

Grass doesn't seem to complement well with a lot of types, except Steel (which resists everything), and Rock (it removes Rock's weakness to Water and Grass.)
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Geno9999 View Post
    My Empoleon is insulted by the implications of this comment.
    Empoleon and Swampert are both competent starters in the current metagame that aren't Infernape or Speed Boost Blaziken.

Outside of the land of competitive play, though, most of the others can find a role and even be fairly good at them. Charizard with Solar Power can be potentially almost as strong as Reshiram offensively (and with BW2 out, can even learn Dragon Pulse if it needs to cover Dragons), Venusaur with Chlorophyll is surprisingly fast, Samurott and Emboar can run either attack stat effectively, not-Speed Boost Blaziken is similar to Samurott and Emboar, etc.

...Meganium is still pretty much the odd one out, though.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

I'd say:
    Make the starters pseudo-legends? YES.

Make them half Dragon type? No.

Too many Dragon types. I liked it when it was just one line per game, max, but now...
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

I really want a set of starters that has a super effective cycle in both directions.

For instance:

Water/Fighting
    Grass/Dark
    Fire/Psychic

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    I really want a set of starters that has a super effective cycle in both directions.

For instance:

Water/Fighting
    Grass/Dark
    Fire/Psychic
    That has been suggested many times before. The eternal problem is that Dark is immune to Psychic. Also, I'm pretty sure (though I could be misremembering) that Fighting is resistant to Grass.
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    That has been suggested many times before. The eternal problem is that Dark is immune to Psychic. Also, I'm pretty sure (though I could be misremembering) that Fighting is resistant to Grass.
    Huh? No. It resists bug, which might be what you're thinking of.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Empoleon and Swampert are both competent starters in the current metagame that aren't Infernape or Speed Boost Blaziken.

Outside of the land of competitive play, though, most of the others can find a role and even be fairly good at them. Charizard with Solar Power can be potentially almost as strong as Reshiram offensively (and with BW2 out, can even learn Dragon Pulse if it needs to cover Dragons), Venusaur with Chlorophyll is surprisingly fast, Samurott and Emboar can run either attack stat effectively, not-Speed Boost Blaziken is similar to Samurott and Emboar, etc.

...Meganium is still pretty much the odd one out, though.
    I dunno, I was distinctly underwhelmed by Serperior and Sceptile (especially given their use as starters with which you can't breed the apparently better stuff on - double-especially for Treeko in it's initial generation) as well.

Grass is just kinda of a bad type, much as I hate to say it; I think the first generation had it right with all the Grass/Poison - sure, it didn't do 'em any favours defensively, but it did at least give them a few more offensive options.

(Bulbasaur is still the best out of the grass starters, I reckon, 'cos at least it gets some nice status attacks like Sleep Powder (hells yes, for a game-run through).)

But yeah, I'd go for ?/Dragon as starters. Heck, anything would be better than yet ANOTHER Fire/Fighting.

I still want to see a Fire/Water type (it'd be like a steam Pokemon or something).

Or an electric plant. Or an electric/Thing-That's-Not-Rotom. (Dark Electric, maybe?)

And some more pure Flying types.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

For instance:

Water/Fighting
    Grass/Dark
    Fire/Psychic
    Alternative choice on the same theme:

Water/Ice
    Grass/Ground
    Fire/Rock
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Colossus in the Playground

I made the same mistake! It's the poison type common to most fighting types that resists the fighting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Or, a different triad, Flying/Fighting/Ice, to be used alone or slipped in with something going the other way.

Also, some more "cute" type Pokemon (or at least those with non-terrible art design) that don't completely suck (e.g. more like Cinccino, less like Pachirisu), with particular emphasis on electric rodents (who've got really screwed in the last couple of generations). Since my Pikachus can't be Ash's Pikachu (who clearly has Mold Breaker as ability, with an inherent Lightball...)

Seriously though, there's been quite a few Pokemon, I've gone "oh I like the look of them" (Lopunny, Pachirisu, even Purloin/Liepard) until I realised how pants their stats/movepools are (to varying degrees); and on the other end of the scale, we have stuff like many of the fighting types or Stoutland, which are fairly good stat/move-wise, but I can't stand the design of.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    Alternative choice on the same theme:

Water/Ice
    Grass/Ground
    Fire/Rock
    Except that Fire gets the shortest stick. Both of the others get 4x super effective STAB against it.

My other thought was to have each one gain a secondary type that's another's primary... so we'd finally have our Fire/Water and Fire/Grass, and then have another choice for Grass/Water. It also works out that they're each 4x resistant to one of their types and neutral to the other two.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Except that Fire gets the shortest stick. Both of the others get 4x super effective STAB against it.

My other thought was to have each one gain a secondary type that's another's primary... so we'd finally have our Fire/Water and Fire/Grass, and then have another choice for Grass/Water. It also works out that they're each 4x resistant to one of their types and neutral to the other two.
    That would be even better if they finally implement what I've been wanting since I realized that even with the same type combo, there's no consitency in order: Have which type is primary and which is secondary actually matter.
    My Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #48
    Barbarian in the Playground

Why not...
    Water/Bug
    Grass/Electric
    Fire/Dark?
    Or perhaps Fire/Poison instead?
    Mindfreak by...I don't quite know who
    Nexus Characters | Pokemon RPG Rules
    Busy with Life

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mindfreak View Post
    Why not...
    Water/Bug
    Grass/Electric
    Fire/Dark?
    Or perhaps Fire/Poison instead?
    Works for me!

The latter is probably better option, though, both for type balance and the fact the flaming poison just seems all kinds of badass.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Works for me!

The latter is probably better option, though, both for type balance and the fact the flaming poison just seems all kinds of badass.
    Oh man, that'd be awesome. And we might get one of those nightmare fuel Pokedex entries. Flaming poison seems painful as hell.

21. - Top - End - #51

I'd imagine that it'd be a Pokemon that could exude the poison in a gaseous form or a liquid form, both of which it could ignite on will.

I myself would like a Pokemon game where the story is more directed towards your starters. I mean, after all, no one else in the whole REGION ever seems to have your starters other than your rivals. That in itself seems to be a bit strange.
    Busy with Life

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

I distinctly remember the Kanto games having several trainers with starters.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

I distinctly remember the Kanto games having several trainers with starters.
    I recall this more with Johto and Sinnoh games... but not Hoenn or Unova
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh man, that'd be awesome. And we might get one of those nightmare fuel Pokedex entries. Flaming poison seems painful as hell.
    I am now imagining a constantly burning Tar/Oil monster. It's expression is either one of sheer pain or pure malice. When it speaks, it spews horrid, filthy black smoke.

Another type combination I would like to see is a Psychic/Dark type. Maybe based off of a stage magician.
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

25. - Top - End - #55

I don't like the idea of that...
    Makes me feel like the Pokemon is just made to turn out evil.

Anyways, I've always remembered the starters being rare to see with non-rival trainers. And that you'd never see them in the wild.
    They're the Region's starters...but you never see them...
    Busy with Life

26. - Top - End - #56

Another type combination I would like to see is a Psychic/Dark type. Maybe based off of a stage magician.
    YES. Maybe name it "Peller" (a portmanteau of Penn and Teller) or "Hoodyni" (a shout out to Harry Houdini. A Pokémon wearing some sort of natural hood, to justify both the name and the Dark type). I would think those two would be my favorites to have (maybe an evolution line?)
    Previously known as Dorian Soth.

Pokémon Friend Codes!

Spoiler
    Show

Pokémon Platinum
    2065-8881-0711

Pokémon Black
    1764-5885-4832

Pokémon White 2
    5115-3060-5236

Also, my 3DS Friend Code is:
    0619-3578-2378

PM me before you add me

Check my stuff!

27. - Top - End - #57

Well, that was cool. just swept Colress with essentially 1 pokemon. I went to see what he had to say, ready to decline his battle, but unlike most other named trainers around, he didn't give me the option.

So the Vaporeon I started with dented Magneton, then died. Then i sent out my Ferrothorn in training, hoping to stall until I got a better idea, then I realized he had pratically all steel, and my Zoroark had Nasty Plot, Flamethrower, and a lot more speed than anything.

Now I'm off to make use of my shiny new Master Ball.
    Chivalry-the practice of hitting things and claiming it is for the good of a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    Apparently people can get jaded by over-exposure to awesome.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

When I see Fire/Poison I think of Mollux.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

I am now imagining a constantly burning Tar/Oil monster. It's expression is either one of sheer pain or pure malice. When it speaks, it spews horrid, filthy black smoke.

A Psychic/Dark stage magician, you say?

And a burning tar/oil monster?
    SnakePirate avatar by CheesePirate

Running Emerald City Knights (OOC)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumman View Post
    Translation: when Bahamut called "Dibs!" on your soul the devils sat back down, muttering under their breaths.
    Quote Originally Posted by TricksyAndFalse View Post
    4E Druids tap into the Primal Beast to wild shape. The Primal Beast cares not for your technicalities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gametime View Post
    I think we can all agree that optimizing a Beholder Mage beyond being a Beholder Mage is safely in the realm of "overkill" to begin with.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    When I see Fire/Poison I think of Mollux.
    Tomohawk is my favorite, fighting/flying with prankster? All my want.
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.