New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XIV: Return of the Pokémon Thread Strikes Back Harder

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    Also pokemon have abilities now.
    I knew there was a change from Gen 2, to Gen 3 that was major and I couldn't think of.

(Iv's going from 15 to 31 isn't really major)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XIV: Return of the Pokémon Thread Strikes Back Harder

Quote Originally Posted by Vemynal View Post
    I come to you fellow pokemon lovers as I need help.

I haven't played a pokemon game since generations 2's Silver and Gold (the originals).

I am considering buying Black 2 for the simple fact that I love playing with all the eevee evolutions (and eevee) and that I'd be able to catch eevee in the wild for once instead of having to do a bunch of complicated repeated play throughs to get enough. It'd be fun to play pokemon again, play with my all eevee line up and check out the two new evolutions at last.

So here is my request: What has changed from Silver/Gold to Black 2/White 2?
    Hoo boy, I'll try to nail down some of the more salient points

Abilities: First introduced in Gen III (Ruby/Sapphire), these are additional properties that every pokemon has, determined by species. They range from being powerful (Wonderguard: this pokemon takes no damage from any attack that isn't super effective), to useful (Intimidate, which lowers the Attack of an opponent by one stage at the start of a battle), to the fairly useless (Run Away, ensures the ability to run from wild battles), to the outright detrimental (Truant: the pokemon only attacks every other turn).
    A good ability can mean the difference between a pokemon being considered ungodly powerful and being a waste of box space.

Multi-Opponent Battles: Gen III introduced 2v2 battles, and Gen V upped the ante with two different kinds of 3v3 ones.

The Atk/Spa split: In Gen IV, all attacks were divided into Physical and Special on an individual basis, as opposed to the determination being based on the type of the attack. This means that there are now Physical Water or Fire moves, and Special Fighting or Rock type ones.

TMs: As of Gen V, all TMs can be used as many times as you like.

And of course, the last 3 Generations have introduced hundreds of new pokemon and moves.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

3. - Top - End - #303
    Barbarian in the Playground

Is there a list of what pokemon are unable to be caught in black 2 or white 2?

I heard something about there being different methods of leveling.

What's this stuff about stats optimization? How does 2 and 3 pokemon battles work?

What are all these new pokeballs? are any of them actually useful?

Are there any generations, gen 5 is unable to trade with?

How much better is the game on 3DS instead of the old DS? (I have to buy a DS for the game)

What is this new world tournament thing they implemented in Black/white 2?

How long does it take to level pokemon to 100? I know in gen's 1 and 2 it took bloody forever and a year.

Has anything new happened with eggs?

Did you guys actually think the story line to black/white 2 was fun?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avy by spectralphoenix

Sammael, Aasimar Blackguard

Avys by Neoseph07

Astaroth, Human Lich Dragon Disciple

Jophiel, Gray Elf Mystic Theurge

<--Naamah Vampire Illusionist

4. - Top - End - #304
    Bugbear in the Playground

If I use Thief or Covet on an NPC, do I get to keep the item I steal? I ask because I know Colress has a Life Orb on something, and I really don't want to grind the BP to buy one.

EDIT: Nevermind, found my answer. Cannot
    Last edited by Partof1; 2012-12-11 at 08:55 PM.
    Chivalry-the practice of hitting things and claiming it is for the good of a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    Apparently people can get jaded by over-exposure to awesome.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Is there a list of what pokemon are unable to be caught in black 2 or white 2?
    Here.
    I heard something about there being different methods of leveling.
    BW2 adds in a few places where you can simply buy levels. They're ridiculously expensive, especially compared to the Day Care, though. (However, the Day Care takes forever and a day to increase the level of already-high-level Pokémon)
    What's this stuff about stats optimization?
    The opening post has a quick run-down of it. Natures (also introduced in Gen 3) also have a +/-10% influence on five of the six stats (+ on one, - on another, two stats are affected, no more, no less... except when both are the same stat and they cancel each other out).
    How does 2 and 3 pokemon battles work?
    You have two or three Pokémon placed side-by-side. Some moves target both opponents, some target only one, some target everything. Triple battles have a further restriction on who can target whom (the far opponent or ally can't be targeted except by "Pulse" or Flying moves).
    Two words: Dusk. Ball. Remember them.
    Gen V can only trade with itself. However, it can transfer (a one-way trade) from Gen IV, and Gen IV can do the same with Gen III. Due to the changes in data structure from Gen II-III, however, transfer isn't possible.
    How much better is the game on 3DS instead of the old DS? (I have to buy a DS for the game)
    The 3DS is a much cooler system, but the only features that the 3DS gets that the DSi doesn't is the Dream Radar downloadable game that lets you catch special versions of Tornadus, Thundurus, and Landorus, as well as a few other Pokémon.
    What is this new world tournament thing they implemented in Black/white 2?
    It's awesome, is what.

Basically, you choose a tournament, and you get to fight three random opponents appropriate to that tournament. The opponents mostly consist of gym leaders and Champions from all five generations, though some generic trainers fill in the blanks for certain challenges (such as the Dark-type masters tournament).
    How long does it take to level pokemon to 100? I know in gen's 1 and 2 it took bloody forever and a year.
    There are a lot more high-level opponents that you can train against to gain XP each day. It will still take a long time, but it's possible.
    Has anything new happened with eggs?
    Natures, IVs, and certain abilities (the "Hidden" ones) can be passed on via breeding if you know what you're doing. Knowing what you're doing usually consists of consulting an outside source to make sure you're not messing up in the case of Egg moves and breeding compatibility.
    Did you guys actually think the story line to black/white 2 was fun?
    Yes. Part of the fun for me was matching up events in the game with the anime trailer.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

Hoo boy, better break this one up a bit.
    What's this stuff about stats optimization?
    To paraphrase the original post, stat training boils down to fighting specific pokémon to increase different stats. As a rule of thumb, what stat a pokémon is best at is what stat bonuses they'll give (Known as Effort Values or EVs.) For example, Psyduck's highest base stat is its Special Attack, so when my Starmie fights a bunch of Psyduck over and over, it's going to increase its Special Attack.

Oh yes, VERY useful, but it's at specific situations like the Apricorn Balls. I'll just list my favorites:

Timer Ball: Capture power is increased by how many turn have passed. Very useful in battles that have been dragging on. I usually use these against legendaries.

Quick Ball: Basically the inverse of the Timer Ball, its at the highest capture rate when it's used on the first turn (at least double the catching rate of a Ultra Ball for reference.) Later than that though, it has the same cap rate as a regular ball. Use these against pokémon that have a tendency to run away.

Dusk Ball: Works best in caves or if you're playing at night. Plus, I think the animation for it is cool.

It can't trade with Gen 1 or 2, it can do a one way trade with Gen 4, but to transfer pokémon from Gen 3, you have to first transfer it to a Gen 4 game and from there to Gen 5.

If you need more help, you can always check up Bulbapedia first, it's a great resource.
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

7. - Top - End - #307

So I tried looking up black 2 on the 3DS vs the normal DS; but I'm not entirely sure that's even what they're called =x (the last game boy I bought was game boy color).

Does someone have a link to a video that shows the quality difference in playing the game between the two different hand held's? I couldn't find one.

In fact is Black 2 even playable on 3DS? When I googled it I got a bunch of articles talking about how big a mistake it was that they weren't releasing it as such.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avy by spectralphoenix

Avys by Neoseph07

8. - Top - End - #308
    Troll in the Playground

It can be played on both 3DS and DSi.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    It can be played on both 3DS and DSi.
    And any previous DS, for that matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #310

Wait...how many DS are there? what's a DSi?

And does anyone have a video showing the visual difference from a 3DS and a DS?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avy by spectralphoenix

Avys by Neoseph07

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The 3DS will not upscale the game to its native resolution, as far as I know. Instead, it will either (at your choice) stretch the image (sometimes leading to graphical oddities) or play at the DS's native resolution, leaving black borders like a letterboxed movie.

As to the models of the DS, there's four.

The original DS (sometimes called the DS Fat/Phat) and the DS Lite (which is why the original's called fat) both have a Game Boy Advance cartridge slot, and the Lite is brighter, lighter, and its battery is an improved model that lasts longer despite the increased brightness. The other two are the DSi and the DSi XL, which have more and more varied built-in apps and an online shop for smaller games as well as two cameras (one facing the player, one facing outward), but no GBA slot. The XL is simply scaled up from the normal DSi... though without scaling the resolution, you'll notice the pixelation more than with the others (not that they're HD game devices anyway).

12. - Top - End - #312

So it sounds to me like for my purposes the DS lite would be the best bet then since I really only want it for pokemon black and the 3DS won't really do me all that much good?

Is the DS lite able to do the wifi trading and battles with friends that the others are capable of?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avy by spectralphoenix

Avys by Neoseph07

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ettin in the Playground

The DS Lite is able to do WiFi, but it doesn't connect to WPA-encrypted internet.

14. - Top - End - #314

So the internet at my house that has a password on it wouldn't work...do the newer versions have the ability to connect to say my home internet with a password?

edit:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS

nvm finally found it on my own
    Last edited by Vemynal; 2012-12-12 at 04:57 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avy by spectralphoenix

Avys by Neoseph07

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    The original DS (sometimes called the DS Fat/Phat) and the DS Lite (which is why the original's called fat) both have a Game Boy Advance cartridge slot, and the Lite is brighter, lighter, and its battery is an improved model that lasts longer despite the increased brightness.
    Which is required for transfer of Gen III Pokemon to Gen IV (meaning you can't do on later versions of the DS).

So the internet at my house that has a password on it wouldn't work...do the newer versions have the ability to connect to say my home internet with a password?

edit:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS

nvm finally found it on my own
    The internet encryption security on the DS Lite requires it to be WEP to work; if, like me, you have WPS encryption, you can't connect without more effort on your part. One option is to buy a dongle and link through that (though that itself requires some effort juggling to get to work).

However, if you have a gander at your wireless router, it may well have its settings webpage url listed on the box. It's worth having a look at that, as mine had an option to set up a "guest network" via whatever encryption you wanted; so I set a new guest netwrok with a WEP encryption and, as they say, Bob's you're uncle.

The later DS versions do have the same problem, as they have slightly more encryption options, as I understand it.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-12-12 at 05:03 AM.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Troll in the Playground

The original DS (sometimes called the DS Fat/Phat)...
    I always called it the DS Chunky. I love my chunky DS.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    However, if you have a gander at your wireless router, it may well have its settings webpage url listed on the box. It's worth having a look at that, as mine had an option to set up a "guest network" via whatever encryption you wanted; so I set a new guest netwrok with a WEP encryption and, as they say, Bob's you're uncle.
    Yeah, this is what I had to do. Took me ages to work out. If your router is anything like mine, you might need to change the frequency settings before you can even use WEP.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

17. - Top - End - #317

How much would a DS lite run me? I can't seem to find the prices for one anywhere. Everywhere I check the *only* ones mentioned are the DSi and the 3DS. Even using quotation marks when searching hasn't been helpful lol. Do stores even still carry it?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avy by spectralphoenix

Avys by Neoseph07

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

How much would a DS lite run me? I can't seem to find the prices for one anywhere. Everywhere I check the *only* ones mentioned are the DSi and the 3DS. Even using quotation marks when searching hasn't been helpful lol. Do stores even still carry it?
    Probably not outside of ebay, since it's two models behind. Ebay, for better or worse, is probably your best bet for a DS Lite (note that the Lite shares the same encryption issues as the regular DS, though).

That said, if you can't; pick one up relatively cheap second-hand and want to buy a new one, there's some argument you'd probably be better buying one of the newer versions anyway (and if you desparately needed Game Cartridge compatibilty, just use your exisiting DS). If cost is an issue, unless you want a second DS for trading amongst yourself, you probably shouldn't bother getting a new one, as your DS will work just fine; the difference between DS and DS Lite is fairly marginal, mostly just smaller, lighter and slightly brighter screens.

Scrub that sorry, you haven't got a DS already, have you? Nevermind then.

Ebay, then.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-12-12 at 04:17 PM.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ettin in the Playground

Where are you checking? Amazon has quite a few new DS lites for around $110-$130, depending on color. Used goes for around $60-$80.

Which reminds me, I need a Lite because mine is broken and barely works, and my GBA will inevitably fail.
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2012-12-12 at 05:49 PM.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

I could have sworn I've seen a few at a Gamestop in a local mall. Though good luck on looking for the GBA Pokémon titles, since as far as I can tell, Gamestop had stopped carrying GBA games. I'll need to hit another Gamestop I know, just to be sure/see if they have Emerald or Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones there.
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Geno9999 View Post
    I could have sworn I've seen a few at a Gamestop in a local mall. Though good luck on looking for the GBA Pokémon titles, since as far as I can tell, Gamestop had stopped carrying GBA games. I'll need to hit another Gamestop I know, just to be sure/see if they have Emerald or Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones there.
    Hint: Use the Gamestop website. Ever since I started searching for games on there, I have managed to find just about every game I've looked for, or figured out it's not worth checking the stores for.

As far as I can tell, yes, Gamestop has stopped carrying GBA games and has switched those cases for DS titles. Pokemon Emerald in particular seems to have had a limited print run, and seems much rarer than any other Gen III Pokemon title.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

22. - Top - End - #322

Just found a shiny Stunfisk while EV training an Espeon.
    Awesome Shiny Butterfree avatar by Terry576.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goldfly View Post
    Just found a shiny Stunfisk while EV training an Espeon.
    Nice! I found a shiny Stunky today!

And by "found" I mean that I found it in my pc in platinum version and I was all "What the heck? I don't remember this?" Turns out it was from a trade, but I still don't remember it. Nice surprise though.

Quick question: Has Meloetta been released legally yet? I've decided that I want one.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Quick question: Has Meloetta been released legally yet? I've decided that I want one.
    Yes... in Taiwan.

25. - Top - End - #325

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Nice! I found a shiny Stunky today!

And by "found" I mean that I found it in my pc in platinum version and I was all "What the heck? I don't remember this?" Turns out it was from a trade, but I still don't remember it. Nice surprise though.

Yes... in Taiwan.
    And as a very limited, in-life event in Japan for the movie, I believe.

According to Bulbapedia, it will also be released in South Korea in a week.
    Last edited by Goldfly; 2012-12-13 at 05:48 PM.
    Awesome Shiny Butterfree avatar by Terry576.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Firbolg in the Playground

Can someone help me with my Wifi connection? I finally managed to get my Wifi settings to be compatible with my DS. But then when I try to connect, it says, "Unable to connect to Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection because the Wi-Fi User Information from the system and the Game Card do not match." And then when it asks me to update my user information, and I say yes, it gives me a 51100 error. Help?

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

27. - Top - End - #327
    Troll in the Playground

0IV Slakoth, worth it?
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

28. - Top - End - #328

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
    Can someone help me with my Wifi connection? I finally managed to get my Wifi settings to be compatible with my DS. But then when I try to connect, it says, "Unable to connect to Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection because the Wi-Fi User Information from the system and the Game Card do not match." And then when it asks me to update my user information, and I say yes, it gives me a 51100 error. Help?
    Have you checked the error code on the Nintendo Website?

Check your WiFi settings on your DS (you can change them, for instance on the opening menu on Black and White, before choosing to continue the game)
    Previously known as Dorian Soth.

Pokémon Friend Codes!

Spoiler
    Show

Pokémon Platinum
    2065-8881-0711

Pokémon Black
    1764-5885-4832

Pokémon White 2
    5115-3060-5236

Also, my 3DS Friend Code is:
    0619-3578-2378

PM me before you add me

Check my stuff!

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

0IV Slakoth, worth it?
    0 in what stat?
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

0IV Slakoth, worth it?
    Depends, if the 0 is in SpAtk then it isn't really a problem since that evolution line almost always runs physical sets.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show