New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XIV: Return of the Pokémon Thread Strikes Back Harder

So, what you're saying is that you have 1 teammate and a ball-and-chain on each ankle?

And you have no Budew or Shinx or Rock Smash Bidoof yet?

2. - Top - End - #782
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XIV: Return of the Pokémon Thread Strikes Back Harder

I immediately regret this decision! Zubat has proven to be impossible to train and, well, Magikarp. I miiight just ditch Magikarp, mostly because I'm already using Gyarados in my Soul Silver Run, so I'd might as well use something new. As for Zubat, I think I'll just catch one when they're high enough level to know bite. <.< I do want a Crobat, though!

^: Nope, decided I didn't want any of those. I am picky. >.> I forgot how this game has no pokemon I like early game. Misdreavus is coming soon, though!
    Last edited by Gullara; 2013-02-13 at 03:10 PM.

3. - Top - End - #783
    Troll in the Playground

Zubat is irritating, I agree.

I really wish it got less "annoyance!" moves at low level. Maybe instead of Astonish it got, like, Gust.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Troll in the Playground

Okay guys, if you were to pick a non-legendary pokemon for a promotional giveaway and give it a semi-plausible move that it had no other legal way of acquiring, what pokemon and move would you choose?

To start the ball rolling, my choice would be an Ampharos with Tail Glow.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

5. - Top - End - #785
    Troll in the Playground

Mach Punch Tepig.

Why not?
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Mach Punch Tepig.

Why not?
    I'd personally wait until Pignite on that because Tepig seems too quadrupedal for punches IMO, but that's just me.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

7. - Top - End - #787
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spiritomb with recover.

I'm tired of RestTalk sets.
    Last edited by Othesemo; 2013-02-13 at 06:09 PM.

8. - Top - End - #788
    Troll in the Playground

It always seemed to me that Scizor could use Crabhammer, but then again, I guess he doesn't want it.

Horn Leech Rhyperior, I guess, if I'm allowed to have it not have the hidden ability.

Only other thing I can think of- insert crying Flareon here- would be a Rapid Spin Chandelure because he has the shape for it, but he's not exactly a good idea for rapid spinning.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

9. - Top - End - #789
    Titan in the Playground

Zubat does actually end up being worth it. Crobat at level 23 is ridiculous and Crobat continues to be good for most of the game. Zubat gets usable (and actually rather effective) once it learns Bite or Wing Attack (I forget which it learns first) and after learning one of those moves does become quite the powerhouse. It's also very effective against Gardenia, since it double-resists Grass.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2013-02-13 at 07:23 PM.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

10. - Top - End - #790
    Ettin in the Playground

I have used Crobats multiple times to great effect in-game: the problem is that until Bite at level 13, Zubat is 100% dead weight and training a Zubat to that point is incredibly difficult in the early game. Most things will kill it before it gets them.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    Okay guys, if you were to pick a non-legendary pokemon for a promotional giveaway and give it a semi-plausible move that it had no other legal way of acquiring, what pokemon and move would you choose?

Mach Punch Heracross.

Earth Power Quilava/Typhlosion.

Slack Off Snorlax.
    Previously known as Dorian Soth.

Pokémon Friend Codes!

Spoiler
    Show

Pokémon Platinum
    2065-8881-0711

Pokémon Black
    1764-5885-4832

Pokémon White 2
    5115-3060-5236

Also, my 3DS Friend Code is:
    0619-3578-2378

PM me before you add me

Check my stuff!

12. - Top - End - #792
    Ogre in the Playground

On the Tail Glow train: Charizard also with Draco Meteor, Overheat, and Earth Power if possible.

EDIT: CLOSE COMBAT TAUROS
    Last edited by boj0; 2013-02-13 at 08:31 PM.
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

13. - Top - End - #793
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ajadea View Post
    I have used Crobats multiple times to great effect in-game: the problem is that until Bite at level 13, Zubat is 100% dead weight and training a Zubat to that point is incredibly difficult in the early game. Most things will kill it before it gets them.
    What about switching it out on the first round? it halves the xp, but some is better than none.(unless it's different in games after gen III)
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

14. - Top - End - #794
    Troll in the Playground

And back in my day...
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

15. - Top - End - #795
    Ettin in the Playground

Switch-grinding is why it's 'incredibly difficult', not 'completely and utterly impossible'. The problem is that the XP yields are already not-super-great when grinding for Roark. And that strategy works best when you have a bulkier hard-hitter as a switch-in for your newbie of choice, so they can take the free hit your opponent gets and not get too mashed up because of it.

If Gulaghar really isn't capturing anything else before Eterna Forest Misdreavus, her first usable teammate is level 13 Zubat, which is still useless against Roark because Rock Throw everywhere. Then it's Gyarados at level 20, and IMO, Misdreavus doesn't kick in until level 23.

EDIT: *shudder*.
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2013-02-13 at 09:41 PM.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Ettin in the Playground

Switch-grinding is why it's 'incredibly difficult', not 'completely and utterly impossible'. The problem is that the XP yields are already not-super-great when grinding for Roark. And that strategy works best when you have a bulkier hard-hitter as a switch-in for your newbie of choice, so they can take the free hit your opponent gets and not get too mashed up because of it.

If Gulaghar really isn't capturing anything else before Eterna Forest Misdreavus, her first usable teammate is level 13 Zubat, which is still useless against Roark because Rock Throw everywhere. Then it's Gyarados at level 20, and IMO, Misdreavus doesn't kick in until level 23.

EDIT: *shudder*.
    Ah, hadn't thought of that part.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

17. - Top - End - #797
    Halfling in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Not sure if anyone else has seen this, but there's an event happening at a whole range of EB stores during March.

I saw it on an EB post on Facebook, but the info from here seems to be the same.

Short and sweet, it's a chance to grab Meoletta, a Normal/Psychic that changes to Normal/Fighting when it uses a certain ability.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Ettin in the Playground

For gen IV games, could I bypass the flaw of them using only WEP networks by using a more recent(but unfortunatly, not backwards compatable) DS?(so DSi or 3DS, unless the DS lite can use WPA networks)
    Last edited by Togath; 2013-02-14 at 12:23 AM.
    Meow(Steam page)

19. - Top - End - #799
    Ettin in the Playground

The DS Lite cannot use WPA, but I was under the impression that Gen IV games could anyway. Or at least, they worked when I tried it on my dad's DSi.

20. - Top - End - #800
    Troll in the Playground

Pokemon Black, White, Black 2, and White 2 can use a WPA network when used in conjunction with a DSi, DSiXL, or 3DS system. Pokemon Diamond, Pearl, Heartgold, and Soulsilver do not support WPA and will not be able to use that network regardless of what system you use.
    ---

21. - Top - End - #801
    Ettin in the Playground

edit: ninjaed.
    So I'd need to temporarely alter my network to use the online parts of the gen IVs?
    Last edited by Togath; 2013-02-14 at 12:31 AM.
    Meow(Steam page)

22. - Top - End - #802
    Ogre in the Playground

@ Zubat stuff: I fully intend to just grab a new Zubat once you can find them near level 13 at this point. I mean, they're not exactly uncommon, so I'd might as well save myself all the grinding. I quite agree that they're awesome once you get bite, and I rather like Crobat.

Also, I might pass up on Misdreavus in favour of a Ghastly (I'm pretty sure you can get them fairly early). I've recently decided I like Gengar for more than just its stats now, so It'd be cool to use one.

((I really need some not Gen 1 Pokemon on this team. ))

As for the event Pokemon with a particular move... Hrm, not much occurs to me off the top of my head. I do remember lamenting that you couldn't get a Bulbasaur with Weather Ball and Chlorophyll. So let's go with that. Weather Ball on a Chlorophyll Venusaur in a sun team would be awesome.
    Last edited by Gullara; 2013-02-14 at 01:11 AM.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    @ Zubat stuff: I fully intend to just grab a new Zubat once you can find them near level 13 at this point. I mean, they're not exactly uncommon, so I'd might as well save myself all the grinding. I quite agree that they're awesome once you get bite, and I rather like Crobat.

Also, I might pass up on Misdreavus in favour of a Ghastly (I'm pretty sure you can get them fairly early). I've recently decided I like Gengar for more than just its stats now, so It'd be cool to use one.

((I really need some not Gen 1 Pokemon on this team. ))

As for the event Pokemon with a particular move... Hrm, not much occurs to me off the top of my head. I do remember lamenting that you couldn't get a Bulbasaur with Weather Ball and Chlorophyll. So let's go with that. Weather Ball on a Chlorophyll Venusaur in a sun team would be awesome.
    Oh god that'd be terrifying

I want one

It'd go great with my shiny HP fire Lilligant.

24. - Top - End - #804
    Troll in the Playground

Okay guys, we have a name for the new Eevee evolution: Sylveon. Type hasn't yet been revealed though.
    Part of YugiohITP

25. - Top - End - #805
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Okay guys, we have a name for the new Eevee evolution: Sylveon. Type hasn't yet been revealed though.
    Also shown is it using moves. Trump Card and Swift were the ones I most easily identified.

26. - Top - End - #806
    Ogre in the Playground

*swaps over to Soul Silver, ponders*

So I have a problem. My team in this game might be a bit of a problem against the Elite Four. At the moment, it consists of.

Gyarados, lvl 38, Intimidate
    Waterfall
    Bite
    Ice Fang
    Surf

Alakazam, lvl 39, Inner Focus
    Psychic
    Charge Beam
    Shadow Ball
    Confusion

Vulpix, lvl 35, Flash Fire
    Flamethrower
    Will-o-Wisp
    Confuse Ray
    Payback

Gyarados and Alakazam perform well, but Vulpix is rather weak. Trouble is, evolutionary stones are stupidly hard to get in SS, and the only way I can get a Fire Stone is through a random phone call.

So I'm going to be stuck grinding several Pokemon (in SS of all games T_T)... any recommendations as to what to get? I can only really access Pokemon that you can acquire pre E4. I do have Extreme Speed Dratini, so that might be a good option. My starter is Croconaw, so I'd ditched him for Gyarados a while back.

27. - Top - End - #807
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    *swaps over to Soul Silver, ponders*

So I have a problem. My team in this game might be a bit of a problem against the Elite Four. At the moment, it consists of.

Gyarados, lvl 38, Intimidate
    Waterfall
    Bite
    Ice Fang
    Surf

Alakazam, lvl 39, Inner Focus
    Psychic
    Charge Beam
    Shadow Ball
    Confusion

Vulpix, lvl 35, Flash Fire
    Flamethrower
    Will-o-Wisp
    Confuse Ray
    Payback

Gyarados and Alakazam perform well, but Vulpix is rather weak. Trouble is, evolutionary stones are stupidly hard to get in SS, and the only way I can get a Fire Stone is through a random phone call.

So I'm going to be stuck grinding several Pokemon (in SS of all games T_T)... any recommendations as to what to get? I can only really access Pokemon that you can acquire pre E4. I do have Extreme Speed Dratini, so that might be a good option. My starter is Croconaw, so I'd ditched him for Gyarados a while back.
    Had a quick look on Serebii- and you can also get Evolutionary Stones through the pokeathlon- with Fire Stones available on a Thursday...

Edit: Also on a sunday.
    Last edited by Mercenary Pen; 2013-02-14 at 11:41 AM.
    Part of YugiohITP

28. - Top - End - #808
    Ogre in the Playground

Had a quick look on Serebii- and you can also get Evolutionary Stones through the pokeathlon- with Fire Stones available on a Thursday...

Edit: Also on a sunday.
    Ah ha, seems Bulbapedia doesn't record that for some reason. That's certainly a better option. I'll have to work on getting enough points for that. Now's as good a time as any to try out the Pokeathelon.

29. - Top - End - #809
    Orc in the Playground

Magneton is also a good pokemon to use against everyone except Bruno, though you'll need to use Tutors or TMs to give it usable moves. The best thing it learns naturally is Discharge.
    Shugenja (3.5 Base Class, Redux, Mostly Complete, Orders and Extra Material WIP)
    Planar Thaumaturge (3.5 Prestige Class, Complete)
    Event Horizon (3.5 Discipline, Mostly Complete)

Reposting the Martial Compendium (All the material I could recover from the old Wizards forums)

30. - Top - End - #810
    Troll in the Playground

I had my Ho-oh in heartgold by then.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4