New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XIV: Return of the Pokémon Thread Strikes Back Harder

Mostly because I want a Fighting/Flying-type Pokemon. Come on, Balloon Fighter!

But actually, CAP has had some pretty cool ones. I wrecked with a team that used the Rock-type one when that one was more recent. They definitely needed to fix it. Or at least prevent Technician Giga Drain from being a thing, which is really why it was so absurd and why the Gen V switches probably pushed it down a significant margin.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2012-11-10 at 02:24 AM.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XIV: Return of the Pokémon Thread Strikes Back Harder

Hi again guys. I've been away for a couple of days, but I'm the guy who posted near the end of last thread about making up a fighting-type team for a types tournament. At the time my plan was Machamp, Hitmonchan, Scrafty, Heracross, Emboar and possibly Terrakion. Turns out Terrakion/Cobalion/Virizion/Keldeo are in fact allowed, and there is no species clause or items clause or anything like that.

Since looking at Emboar's moves though I'm inclined to drop him for something else. Any thoughts on that?
    Add me on Steam!

Amazing albatross avatar by the lovely and very talented Ceika

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Drop Emboar for Blaziken or Infernape.

I would consider Lucario over Terrakion, and possibly Breloom in place of Hitmonchan.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

I second Breloom. Without sleep clause, that thing is a beast.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Drop hitmonchan for either breloom or keldeo, and emboar for infernape. If you can get a speed boost blaziken, get that over infernape.
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Othesemo View Post
    I second Breloom. Without sleep clause, that thing is a beast.
    Even with sleep clause around, if you can get hold of Technician Breloom, you can break people incredibly fast anyway... One of the few pokemon that can make good use of Bullet Seed.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

I finally got back to playing B2, finished up the last two gyms and realized my Haxorus is death, destroyer of worlds. But I digress, the musketeer trio (who are more or less given to you) has been captured; Cobalion is forever boxed, Virizion somehow has a +SpeAtk nature first try, but Terrakion, oh Terrakion: soft reset for an hour getting one because I actually care about his nature, waste hundreds of Ultra Balls (seriously, how did Cobalion and Virizion only take a few?), finally start using my Master Ball.
    Finally got one with a Hasty nature, 28 ivs in Attack and 25 in Speed. Good enough for in game and friendly matches, but his other stats are atrocious with none of his defenses or HP in the double-digits. Oh well, Team Plasma will get roflstomped and that is a reward all it's own.

EDIT/UPDATE: So I got to the Pokemon League, yeah having that Haxorus was a bad idea... I got the One and Only medal my first time against the Elite Four. I do this to myself...
    Last edited by boj0; 2012-11-11 at 02:43 AM.

8. - Top - End - #68

Since no one responded to this on the last thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Thormag View Post
    I made a UU team for Showdown. I tested it, and after winning 4-1 (yes, not a lot of battles, but I had to study), I was pretty happy with myself for making a team that didn't suck too much. But that's my biased opinion, can you guys check the team for me and give me some feedback?

Spoiler
    Show

Crobat

Spoiler
    Show
    Crobat @Black Sludge
    Inner Focus
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
    - Brave Bird
    - Roost
    - Taunt
    - U-Turn

Crobat is my response to any leads that might want to set up SR or Spikes right away (bar Steel or Rock types) and a check for some Pokémon (I'm thinking some fighting types like Scrafty, Mienshao and possibly Heracross if I'm not switching into a SE, and some grass types like Roserade).
    I want to know if I'm missing important OHKOs if I move some EVs from Atk to HP in order to make it a bit more bulky and use Roost a bit more.

Mismagius
    Spoiler
    Show

Mismagius @Leftovers
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Nasty Plot
    - Substitute
    - Shadow Ball
    - Thunderbolt

A NP Mismagius that serves as a set-up special sweeper for my team. I know that Ghost+Electric does not offer the best coverage (Krookodile, Ferroseed, the rare Magneton and rarer Sawsbuck resist both attacking moves), but I'm not too keen in relying on HP Fighting (both because if I want to translate this team to my DS game it would be a total nightmare to breed it and because of the lower base power of HP). Substitute has saved me more than one time, and it helps to set up Nasty Plot more easily than just by raw prediction.

Snorlax

Spoiler
    Show

Snorlax @Leftovers
    Thick Fat
    EVs: 208 HP/124 Def/176 SpD
    Careful Nature
    - Body Slam
    - Rest
    - Talk
    - Whirlwind

Yes, it's Smogon's standard but it works beautifully. Whirlwind is there to phaze and Body Slam to kill frail special sweepers if they think they can break it (or just spread paralysis willy-nilly). I like the fat sack of lard.

Heracross

Spoiler
    Show

Heracross @Choice Scarf
    Moxie
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Close Combat
    - Megahorn
    - Stone Edge
    - Night Slash

The entire reason I made a UU team in the first place. Heracross is by far my favorite Pokémon in the entire series, and even though it might be a bit overused (heh) in UU, I wouldn't get rid of it for any reason whatsoever. The set, though, is debatable. I have him running a Scarf set so he can revenge kill almost anything in the tier, so running Moxie is not such a bad idea if we consider this function (I have Snorlax with Rest to sponge status). Jolly is there to outspeed other Heracross (or to tie with them) and some other <86 Speed Pokémon, even if they are Scarfed (like Honchkrow). I'm still struggling to see if this set has enough power, but for now it works.

Gligar

Spoiler
    Show

Gligar @Eviolite
    Immunity
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Spe
    Impish Nature
    - Roost
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Toxic

My Heracross wall and overall defensive wall for all physical attackers not sporting powerful ice attacks (I can sponge weak attacks and stall them/play mind games with Roost). Toxic is there to win stall wars and to avoid having sweepers set on me. Stealth Rock, to place some rawks if I get the chance and Earthquake to not be a sitting duck against Steel or Poison types that I can't poison (though it leaves me defenseless against other Immunity Gligars, Levitate Bronzong, Cobalion (who laughs at my EQs) and Crobat).

Slowbro

Spoiler
    Show

Gligar @Choice Specs
    Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP/252 SpA/4 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Scald
    - Psyshock
    - Fire Blast
    - Grass Knot

Most people, when they see Slowbro they think "wall", but I'm using this guy as a special attacker, which has taken some of my opponents by surprise. Choice Specs vs Life Orb is a tough choice, but I think if I go the LO route, then I would have to get Slack Off, because even with Regenerator, it would die fast (consider that because of its speed, I almost always attack last).

I'm still new at Team Building and I know theorymon better than pragmatimons, so if you think I'm way off base, do not even flinch at the idea of correcting me. Thank you so much in advance.
    Previously known as Dorian Soth.

Pokémon Friend Codes!

Spoiler
    Show

Pokémon Platinum
    2065-8881-0711

Pokémon Black
    1764-5885-4832

Pokémon White 2
    5115-3060-5236

Also, my 3DS Friend Code is:
    0619-3578-2378

PM me before you add me

Check my stuff!

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, you don't get totally walled by Registeel, so that's good.
    I really don't play UU that often so I'm trying to think of what threatens your team.

10. - Top - End - #70

I know that in theory, Shaymin, Weavile and Sableye can really screw with my team. But, then again, I'm still pretty bad at Pokey Men.

Pokémon Friend Codes!

Spoiler
    Show

Pokémon Platinum
    2065-8881-0711

Pokémon Black
    1764-5885-4832

Pokémon White 2
    5115-3060-5236

0619-3578-2378

PM me before you add me

Check my stuff!

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

I decided to figure out what I need to do to get me a subpunch breloom today. Little did I know it'd end up being a five step process that involves a lot of grinding and a couple instances of dealing with low percentages to acquire something.

.-.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    I decided to figure out what I need to do to get me a subpunch breloom today. Little did I know it'd end up being a five step process that involves a lot of grinding and a couple instances of dealing with low percentages to acquire something.

.-.
    I have some sympathy - I decided I wanted a Spore Shroomish for my SoulSilver (which, assuming the breeding still works likes it used to, requires me to have both parents with Spore); and annoyingly, I haven't got a single one in Gen IV anywhere (and only one level 24 Breloom). So a great deal of time on and off rapid levelling in Diamond to get two caught from the marsh to level 45 (from about 23) is going to be required...
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-11-12 at 06:07 AM.

13. - Top - End - #73

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    I have some sympathy - I decided I wanted a Spore Shroomish for my SoulSilver (which, assuming the breeding still works likes it used to, requires me to have both parents with Spore); and annoyingly, I haven't got a single one in Gen IV anywhere (and only one level 24 Breloom). So a great deal of time on and off rapid levelling in Diamond to get two caught from the marsh to level 45 (from about 23) is going to be required...
    Couldn't you have just kept leveling up your Shroomish until she learned Spore at level 45?

Pokémon Friend Codes!

Spoiler
    Show

Pokémon Platinum
    2065-8881-0711

Pokémon Black
    1764-5885-4832

Pokémon White 2
    5115-3060-5236

0619-3578-2378

PM me before you add me

Check my stuff!

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thormag View Post
    Couldn't you have just kept leveling up your Shroomish until she learned Spore at level 45?
    Bit pointless in SoulSilver, for something that's being included in the party as the Designated Statuser, since by that time it learned Spore, the game would be mostly over, given the fairly low levels involved. (Given that in all the other games, by the time you wrap up the bulk of the post game (without spamming the E4) you're tend to be creeping around level 60; whereas in HG, I've got about two gyms in Kanto to go and they're about 52.) Also, by that point, you may as well have evolved Breloom and used a heartscale. If I'm going to bother with Shroomish over Hoppip (which I had originally planned), there's no sense is doing it half-way.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Guys, here is a simple rundown from my OU team in Smogon battle simulator, I have been doing relatively well; but I think I can make it better.

Jozette (Blissey) (F) @ Leftovers
    Spoiler
    Show
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SDef / 252 Def
    - Wish
    - Toxic
    - Softboiled
    - Flamethrower

Jozette is obviously my special wall and support (wish has saved my butt more times that I care to count); but I am not really sure if I should use flamethrower instead of Seismic Toss, the latter has a more consistent damage; but it is completely walled by ghost (which to be honest I haven't seen too many in OU); but flamethrower has been a good surprise attack.

Krusk (Haxorus) (M) @ Draco Plate
    Spoiler
    Show
    Trait: Mold Breaker
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Dragon Dance
    - Swords Dance
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake

He is my physical sweeper and becomes a best once I've any dance under the belt; but it has been difficult to set up, I am considering dropping one of the dances to make room for another attacking move, Stone Edge or X-scissor probably. I'm also considering switching the Draco Plate for an Expert belt or a Life Orb

Tordek (Forretress) (M) @ Leftovers
    Spoiler
    Show
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
    Relaxed Nature
    IVs: 0 Spd
    - Spikes
    - Rapid Spin
    - Toxic Spikes
    - Gyro Ball

I'm pretty happy with this set up, is there anything that could help make it better?

Athain (Thundurus-Therian) (M) @ Expert Belt
    Spoiler
    Show
    Trait: Volt Absorb
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Thunderbolt
    - Grass Knot
    - Volt Switch
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Not really sure what I can do with him, he has been working pretty good so far.

Liddda (Latias) (F) @ Light Clay
    Spoiler
    Show
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Light Screen
    - Reflect
    - Healing Wish

Is healing wish a good option? I've used it once; but it did nab me that battle.

Sandharrow (Infernape) (M) @ Life Orb
    Spoiler
    Show
    Trait: Blaze
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Naive Nature
    - Close Combat
    - Overheat
    - U-turn
    - Stone Edge

A mixed attack set, I will probably drop Stone edge for Match Punch. My strategy with him is coming in using close combat/overheat then U-turn for Jozette and wish-heal him.

Oh and a cookie if someone recognizes their nicknames.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

The majority are a variation on the 3.5 Iconic Characters.

/me takes my cookie now, thanks.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Yep, have your cookie:
    Spoiler
    Show

Though on a closer look it, I miss-spelt some of the names...
    Just call me Dusk

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Krusk gave it away.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

If you're not going to use something else with Stealth Rock, put it on Forretress. Spikes/Toxic Spikes are recommended on Smogon because Stealth Rock has better distribution (that is, putting it on Forretress would then be redundant), so without a Rock layer on your team, that reasoning goes away... Stealth Rock is the only hazard that hits Dragonite, Salamence, or Skarmory, and is particularly valuable against the first because it breaks Multiscale, which will be an issue if Haxorus isn't already out and ready to smash face.
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2012-11-12 at 09:33 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Did't think about that, I'll probably switch Toxic Spikes for Stealth rock (Blissey can poison pretty well on her own right).

One thing that I just discovered (thanks to a Jellicent) is that I have no way to deal with Ghost types effectively and they can wall my attackers pretty easily, would switching match punch for shadow claw a good idea?
    Just call me Dusk

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Ah, ouch that's a pain. I remember taking a lot of effort to get a Shroomish in Pearl. A bit of a pain to get.

As for what I have to do, let's see if I haven't forgotten already.
    • Level a Scraggy to level 49 from 19 to learn Focus Punch.
    • Catch a (hopefully female) Snubble in Soul Silver (with a 1% chance to encounter) and transfer it to Black 2.
    • Breed Snubble with Scraggy until I get a male Snubble (25% chance) with Focus Punch.
    • Breed that Snubble with Shroomish until I get a male Shroomish with Focus Punch.
    • Breed that Shroomish with Adamant Ditto for nature, and keep doing so until I get a Shroomish with Poison Heal.
    • Proceed to level Shroomish until it gets Spore and Seed Bomb, then evolve.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Did't think about that, I'll probably switch Toxic Spikes for Stealth rock (Blissey can poison pretty well on her own right).

One thing that I just discovered (thanks to a Jellicent) is that I have no way to deal with Ghost types effectively and they can wall my attackers pretty easily, would switching match punch for shadow claw a good idea?
    Putting your anti-Ghost move on a Fire type doesn't seem to be the wisest way to deal with Jellicent to me...

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Putting your anti-Ghost move on a Fire type doesn't seem to be the wisest way to deal with Jellicent to me...
    ....:facedesk: you are right
    Just call me Dusk

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

....:facedesk: you are right
    Especially since running the calculations... your Infernape will never OHKO Jellicent with Shadow Claw without a lucky crit (it does threaten a 2HKO if it survives, however). Jelli then threatens an OHKO with Surf (always getting it if entry hazards are in play), and causes significant damage with Scald (not quite enough to OHKO, however).

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Back to the drawing board I guess...
    Just call me Dusk

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

Back to the drawing board I guess...
    Haxorus shouldn't have much of a problem with Jellicent. You don't want to switch into a Scald, but Outrage should 2HKO even if you get burned in between the first and second attacks. If you can give Aromatherapy to Blissey, then you don't even need to worry about that.
    Shugenja (3.5 Base Class, Redux, Mostly Complete, Orders and Extra Material WIP)
    Planar Thaumaturge (3.5 Prestige Class, Complete)
    Event Horizon (3.5 Discipline, Mostly Complete)

Reposting the Martial Compendium (All the material I could recover from the old Wizards forums)

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Agent_0042 View Post
    Haxorus shouldn't have much of a problem with Jellicent. You don't want to switch into a Scald, but Outrage should 2HKO even if you get burned in between the first and second attacks. If you can give Aromatherapy to Blissey, then you don't even need to worry about that.
    If Jellicent decides to switch into Haxorus, so much the better: a +1 Outrage will trash the blob, almost guaranteed.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    If Jellicent decides to switch into Haxorus, so much the better: a +1 Outrage will trash the blob, almost guaranteed.
    Right, and whoever switches a Jellicent into a Haxorus is dumb.

Also, Thundurus can definitely knock out the jellyfish. STAB Thunderbolt is 77% at minimum against maximum bulk Jellicent.
    Last edited by Agent_0042; 2012-11-12 at 02:56 PM.
    Shugenja (3.5 Base Class, Redux, Mostly Complete, Orders and Extra Material WIP)
    Planar Thaumaturge (3.5 Prestige Class, Complete)
    Event Horizon (3.5 Discipline, Mostly Complete)

Reposting the Martial Compendium (All the material I could recover from the old Wizards forums)

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Then I have make some stupid switching or everyone I've fought has been using a Jellicent with Ice beam.
    Just call me Dusk

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, most Jellyfish put points.into physical bulk, making it even better.
    I'd drop the draco plate and swords.dance.on Haxorus, go with life orb/lum berry and x-scissor. Night slash if you really hate ghosts. Infernape should drop stone edge, he doesn't have the bulk to afford a miss, HP Ice maybe so you can bait and kill Gliscor?

Unrelated, but the report post button is too close to the post new message button. My touchpad likes messing with me