New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XIV: Return of the Pokémon Thread Strikes Back Harder

I'm going to have to disagree on X-Scissor. It covers almost nothing that Outrage/Earthquake doesn't. You might look into Night Slash, but at 70 base power, it's weaker than STAB Outrage in basically all cases (excepting a Ghost/Psychic... which doesn't exist). Brick Break will hit Tyranitar and Ferrothorn hard, however it won't deal with Jellicent.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XIV: Return of the Pokémon Thread Strikes Back Harder

First: Disagreeing with Mom in the beginning of White 2 is hilarious. "I don't mean to be selfish, but I'd like it if you were a bit more agreeable."

Second: If I Mystery Gift up a Genesect before starting a game, do I have to redownload it? Is it even possible to redownload it?
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2012-11-12 at 05:16 PM.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Orc in the Playground

If you want a third attack on Haxorus, you should either go with Dragon Claw/Dual Chop (to avoid having to lock yourself into Outrage) or Brick Break (to hit the flying/levitating Steels). Nothing else is up to snuff when you consider Outrage's damage output.
    Shugenja (3.5 Base Class, Redux, Mostly Complete, Orders and Extra Material WIP)
    Planar Thaumaturge (3.5 Prestige Class, Complete)
    Event Horizon (3.5 Discipline, Mostly Complete)

Reposting the Martial Compendium (All the material I could recover from the old Wizards forums)

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, attempting to get a decent minccino from the grotto. Each attempt is getting worse! The first one's best IV was 25 (and near zero in attack and speed), and the best IV of the last two was 17 and 12 respectively!)

I'm going to be here a while, aren't?

Edit: I fracking hate you, RNG.

I fracking hate you.

I very nearly settled for a Gentle max Speed, 30 Attack IV, but after running the numbers, realised that even a moderate IV with a +Att nature would be better.

Then a couple of captures later, it gives me a Rash Mishevious one with 30-31 speed IVs. Something that I would kill for on something that wasn't going to be a pure physical sweeper!!!!

'Course I won't get anything like that when I'm trying to catch my Emolga, will I, RNG, you utter bastard!

*skulldesk*

*skulldesk*

*skulldesk*
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-11-12 at 07:35 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Agent_0042 View Post
    or Brick Break (to hit the flying/levitating Steels).
    The latter are no problem. Brick Break also helps against Ferrothorn, which is a pain in Haxorus's side and hard to get rid of in the rain.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Bugbear in the Playground

He was probably talking about Air Balloon or something, like on Heatran.
    Chivalry-the practice of hitting things and claiming it is for the good of a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    Apparently people can get jaded by over-exposure to awesome.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

In other news, I figured out where to get my Skitty. My copy of Diamond had two already.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Or... Magnet Rise Magneton/Magnezone? Gets rid of their most critical weakness.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #99
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    [...] by that point, you may as well have evolved Breloom and used a heartscale.
    Breloom never gets Spore. They can only get it via Shroomish evolution.

I guess that no one here is versed enough in UU to give me some advice on my team then...
    Previously known as Dorian Soth.

Pokémon Friend Codes!

Spoiler
    Show

Pokémon Platinum
    2065-8881-0711

Pokémon Black
    1764-5885-4832

Pokémon White 2
    5115-3060-5236

Also, my 3DS Friend Code is:
    0619-3578-2378

PM me before you add me

Check my stuff!

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

I think you got a bit of advice?

TBH, I'm non-competitive, so I don't have any advice for you.

(Literally, my ONLY competitive thing I've ever done was EV train a scyther for a solo-mon run of Black)

11. - Top - End - #101
    Colossus in the Playground

Take my advice with a grain of salt.

My UU team would

Your Crobat.

My Stealth rocks user also has Psychic, so a mis-prediction would wreck it

Hercross.

Togekiss. Para it, and then start Airslashing. (Air slash might just be a OHKO)

Against Gilgar

Nidoking Which would out-speed and kill with Ice-beam.

Slowbro

Raikou out-speeds and OHKO's it.

Snorlax and Mismigus might give me trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

So, two hours later, and still nothing. Got about three adamant (all with single digit Att and Speed) and a few Brave *eyeglow roll* and maybe one naughty (with again, dire attack and speed). Oh and several high SpA, which the RNG is taunting me with again. (Seriously, in White it gave me loads of +SpA nature Michevious when trying for venepede, and loads of +Att nature Likes to Thrash about when trying to catch Frillish.)

Try again tomorrow, I guess...

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Fishing for a good Zekrom... first try:
    Modest
    6–7 HP; 20/0–1 Physical; 3–4/15 Special; 16–17 Speed

...I caught it with a critical Timer Ball, but now I'm thinking that I've got two Master Balls, might as well use them on Zekrom and Kyurem.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

So, after a grand total of about SEVEN HOURS, including last night, I finally got an acceptable Minccino (Max HP, Max speed, adamant, Att about 20).

Fracking hell.

If I wasn't so dead set on having a good one, I'd have settled this morning for the only other vaguely passable one (but that wasn't all that good); seriously, the RNG was being REALLY unpleasant; every time I got a +Att nature, it's EVs were risible (usually single digits), and I've lost track of how many Brave or Careful ones I got.

I probably might not even have spent all afternoon/evening on it even then, but I'm still put out by the fact my Civ V expansion hasn't arrived (it's like contact-Amazon-late), and I just can't seem to get into Witcher 2 at the moment...

Hope you have more luck with the RNG than I've been having, Mando...

And, of course, the next thing on my get list is an Emolga... That's going to be insanely traumatic, isn't it...?

(Beginning to wonder if it'd take me less time to ruddy breed one in Black and move it across at a later date...)

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Hope you have more luck with the RNG than I've been having, Mando...
    I settled on a Lonely one with fail IVs in HP and Attack, but decent ones elsewhere, mostly 20s.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

*sigh* Somedays...

I went to the dreamworld to do so some stuff, and then realised before I could wake anyone up, I needed to pull that Dream World Corphish out of Black for my next primary team... so about another three-quarters of an hour, but I got one that's max attack, Hasty and reasonable (approx 20) IVs in everything apart from SpA and Def (which were about 10). I'll take, that I think, and run!

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Finally got around to downloading Genesect, rolled for about TWO HOURS before I got a timid one (honestly, I wanted modest for a Rock Polish set), gave it a TM for Ice Beam, Tbolt, and Flamethrower. Spent some time fighting Litwicks, got SpAtk maxed, got ready for some Basculin fishing when I read that Genesect is being suspect tested, and I've heard it isn't looking good for the bug.

I'm not allowed to have nice things apparently
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by boj0 View Post
    Finally got around to downloading Genesect, rolled for about TWO HOURS before I got a timid one (honestly, I wanted modest for a Rock Polish set), gave it a TM for Ice Beam, Tbolt, and Flamethrower. Spent some time fighting Litwicks, got SpAtk maxed, got ready for some Basculin fishing when I read that Genesect is being suspect tested, and I've heard it isn't looking good for the bug.

I'm not allowed to have nice things apparently
    If you're training things by hand, Smogon tiers matter less. You'll find things like Tyranitar/Hippowdon leading for Sand Rush Excadrill, or Drizzle-toed backing up Swift Swim Kingdra in random online matchup, and in Black Tower/PWT/Battle Subway, no one cares. Well, except that as an event legend, it's automatically banned from Battle Subway and PWT.

19. - Top - End - #109

Actually, for the Driftveil PWT, I believe Genesect is legal. And Online-Random Match up it isn't...
    Speaking of Genesect, my Bug Buzz/Thunderbolt/Flamethrower/Ice Beam one beat the entire Elite Four on my first try...
    I was /not/ a happy camper =/
    Mindfreak by...I don't quite know who
    Nexus Characters | Pokemon RPG Rules
    Busy with Life

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mindfreak View Post
    Actually, for the Driftveil PWT, I believe Genesect is legal. And Online-Random Match up it isn't...
    Speaking of Genesect, my Bug Buzz/Thunderbolt/Flamethrower/Ice Beam one beat the entire Elite Four on my first try...
    I was /not/ a happy camper =/

Granted, I'm apparently something of a noob in these matters, but isn't having a pokemon that can curbstomp the Elite Four a good thing?
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post

Granted, I'm apparently something of a noob in these matters, but isn't having a pokemon that can curbstomp the Elite Four a good thing?
    Some of us prefer a bit more challenge than that...
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post

I think it's the feeling of disappointment with the Elite Four. Like that one time, in Hoenn, the entire Elite Four got swept by a Kung-Fu Chicken.

In unrelated news, there's a Top 10 Dumbest Pokémon moves list over on Screwattack.
    Last edited by Geno9999; 2012-11-14 at 06:18 PM.
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

23. - Top - End - #113

Yeah, I expected a decent challenge from the Elite Four. But...I was disappointed. At least the Black Tower challenged me more.
    Mindfreak by...I don't quite know who
    Nexus Characters | Pokemon RPG Rules
    Busy with Life

24. - Top - End - #114
    Colossus in the Playground

Damn, I wish I had the patience for good natures. I barely have the patience to breed anything. Speaking of which, I'm not done with the postgame yet since I've been so busy with college, but once I am, I think I might breed some good pokemon and share them with you. What do you guys think of Growlithes, Deinos, Riolus, and Mudkips?

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    Damn, I wish I had the patience for good natures. I barely have the patience to breed anything. Speaking of which, I'm not done with the postgame yet since I've been so busy with college, but once I am, I think I might breed some good pokemon and share them with you. What do you guys think of Growlithes, Deinos, Riolus, and Mudkips?
    Arcanines are bosss :). Certainly one of my favs since genration 1... Also they have good stats and good move pools cannot comment on the rest though I hear that mudkip and its evolutions are good.
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #116

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    If you go with arcanine (which you should, by the way), you should try to breed Morning Sun onto it. Only recovery move it can get, and it boosts its longevity a great deal.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Othesemo View Post
    If you go with arcanine (which you should, by the way), you should try to breed Morning Sun onto it. Only recovery move it can get, and it boosts its longevity a great deal.
    Aye, have an Espeon for one of those reasons.

EDIT: Look at this!

I just wanna belly rub that eevee :3...
    Last edited by Rising Phoenix; 2012-11-15 at 11:29 PM.
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, my first attempt at trying for a specific natured pokemon was an exercise in frustration; out of 60 goletts I was finally able to find one with an Attk positive nature, the Iron Fist ability (stupid Klutz...), and halfway decent Attk IVs.
    Trying to get a pokemon that's anything remotely resembling uncommon is going to be a living hell, isn't it?
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

...Am I somehow sucking the luck out of everyone in this thread? Because I just found out I had a Rhyhorn with perfect Attack IVs just sitting in my boxes in SS, and I plan on making use of that.
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

30. - Top - End - #120

I dunno, I think I've done alright luckwise. I never paid attention to IV's or anything, but all the randoms I got through my story playthrough were pretty good, according to the battle subway guy. And my Zekrom I got on the first try was Adamant.

Probably helps that I mostly don't care one way or the other.
    Chivalry-the practice of hitting things and claiming it is for the good of a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    Apparently people can get jaded by over-exposure to awesome.