New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XIV: Return of the Pokémon Thread Strikes Back Harder

Alright, I think the primary electric for my BW2 gym-team is going to be:

Voltorb, Aftermath
    IV's: Neutral Nature
    18 HP, 6 ATK (can't have it nice everywhere), 29 DEF, 24 SP.A, 22 SP.D, 16 SPD.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XIV: Return of the Pokémon Thread Strikes Back Harder

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Alright, I think the primary electric for my BW2 gym-team is going to be:

Voltorb, Aftermath
    IV's: Neutral Nature
    18 HP, 6 ATK (can't have it nice everywhere), 29 DEF, 24 SP.A, 22 SP.D, 16 SPD.
    Voltorb? Aren't those a bit... subpar, compared to other Electric Pokémon?

What moves are you going to use with it?
    Previously known as Dorian Soth.

Pokémon Friend Codes!

Spoiler
    Show

Pokémon Platinum
    2065-8881-0711

Pokémon Black
    1764-5885-4832

Pokémon White 2
    5115-3060-5236

Also, my 3DS Friend Code is:
    0619-3578-2378

PM me before you add me

Check my stuff!

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Electrode is ungodly fast, but its other stats are hardly competitive with Electric Pokémon you can get in Unova... Jolteon is almost as fast and has much higher SpAtk, Zebstrika is slower but has a much better movepool (including Flame Charge), Magnezone is rock-solid and powerful, Electivire has similar benefits to Zebstrika...

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, but I'm only at Clay right now and can't get any of those at the moment
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Yeah, but I'm only at Clay right now and can't get any of those at the moment
    In Black/White 2 you can get all but Zebstrika before you defeat Clay.

Magnemite and Elekid are in the Virbank Complex (Chargestone Cave is accessible to evolve Magneton into Magnezone before defeating Clay), Eevee is available in the little park connected to Castelia Sewer. Emolga is in Route 5.

Voltorb, on the other hand, has to be traded over or sent through the Dream World, so I have no idea what you think your limitations are.
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2012-12-09 at 07:25 PM.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, my mistke

I do have an Ampharos too, but haven't been happy with how she's been doing.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #247

Greatest problem with the Electric Sheep is that it is too freaking slow. That can be helped up to a point with either the liberal use of Super/Hyper/Max Potions or a Quick Claw. Agility is also an option, but you would be giving up a moveslot and a turn setting up. Other than that, Ampharos has a sweet SpA stat, not too shabby defenses and a serviceable movepool.

Pokémon Friend Codes!

Spoiler
    Show

Pokémon Platinum
    2065-8881-0711

Pokémon Black
    1764-5885-4832

Pokémon White 2
    5115-3060-5236

0619-3578-2378

PM me before you add me

Check my stuff!

8. - Top - End - #248
    Orc in the Playground

This discussion needs more Galvantula.
    Shugenja (3.5 Base Class, Redux, Mostly Complete, Orders and Extra Material WIP)
    Planar Thaumaturge (3.5 Prestige Class, Complete)
    Event Horizon (3.5 Discipline, Mostly Complete)

Reposting the Martial Compendium (All the material I could recover from the old Wizards forums)

9. - Top - End - #249

Quote Originally Posted by Agent_0042 View Post
    I'm still waiting for my copy of White 2 for Christmas, but the way I understand it is that you can't get Joltik until after you beat Clay.

Pokémon Friend Codes!

Spoiler
    Show

Pokémon Platinum
    2065-8881-0711

Pokémon Black
    1764-5885-4832

Pokémon White 2
    5115-3060-5236

0619-3578-2378

PM me before you add me

Check my stuff!

10. - Top - End - #250

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    In Black/White 2 you can get all but Zebstrika before you defeat Clay.

Magnemite and Elekid are in the Virbank Complex (Chargestone Cave is accessible to evolve Magneton into Magnezone before defeating Clay), Eevee is available in the little park connected to Castelia Sewer. Emolga is in Route 5.

Voltorb, on the other hand, has to be traded over or sent through the Dream World, so I have no idea what you think your limitations are.
    I thought you had to beat the Elite 4 and go back to Fennel to get the Eevee?
    Mindfreak by...I don't quite know who
    Nexus Characters | Pokemon RPG Rules
    Busy with Life

11. - Top - End - #251
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mindfreak View Post
    You can catch wild Eevees. They're in a circle area accessible through the sewers
    Chivalry-the practice of hitting things and claiming it is for the good of a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    Apparently people can get jaded by over-exposure to awesome.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thormag View Post
    I'm still waiting for my copy of White 2 for Christmas, but the way I understand it is that you can't get Joltik until after you beat Clay.
    Don't think so, you can get into Chargestone Cave before then (the front bit anyway, as I recall).

Quote Originally Posted by Mindfreak View Post
    You do that to get a Hidden Ability Eevee.

You can catch the regular ones to your heart's content easier than in any other game prior. (Not ever so easy, mind, but certainly easier than the garden in D/P/Pt anyway, and I'm not sure Eevee showed up there until after the E4...)

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Greatest problem with the Electric Sheep is that it is too freaking slow. That can be helped up to a point with either the liberal use of Super/Hyper/Max Potions or a Quick Claw. Agility is also an option, but you would be giving up a moveslot and a turn setting up. Other than that, Ampharos has a sweet SpA stat, not too shabby defenses and a serviceable movepool.
    It also needs to compete with Magnezone, which is faster, tougher (primarily due to its Steel typing and higher physical Defense, though it has lower HP), and hits harder. Magnemite/zone also walls the next three gyms and has definite advantages over two of the last three...

...Also, getting that Shiny Haxorus to have the stats you want takes a lot more time than I'd like. At least I've a Synchronize Pokémon to speed it up a bit.
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2012-12-09 at 09:13 PM.

14. - Top - End - #254

It also needs to compete with Magnezone, which is faster, tougher (primarily due to its Steel typing and higher physical Defense, though it has lower HP), and hits harder. Magnemite/zone also walls the next three gyms and has definite advantages over two of the last three...

...Also, getting that Shiny Haxorus to have the stats you want takes a lot more time than I'd like. At least I've a Synchronize Pokémon to speed it up a bit.
    Yes, Magneton/zone has many advantages over Ampharos, but with those advantages also come some disadvantages. It's less bulky on the special side and although steel typing grants it tons of resistances, it also gives it two new weaknesses (Fighting and Fire). Aside from that, its attacking movepool is kind of poor; it doesn't learn any type of move (Hidden Power nonetheless) aside from Electric, Steel or Normal.

Ampharos on the other hand, learns Power Gem, Signal Beam and can be taught Focus Blast (aside from all those Electric and Normal attacks), so it has that going for it.

I understand that competitively Ampharos is not great (its speed is atrocious, it's not bulky enough for standard and offers nothing new to a team), but it has its use in-game over Magneton/zone.

Pokémon Friend Codes!

Spoiler
    Show

Pokémon Platinum
    2065-8881-0711

Pokémon Black
    1764-5885-4832

Pokémon White 2
    5115-3060-5236

0619-3578-2378

PM me before you add me

Check my stuff!

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Yes, Magneton/zone has many advantages over Ampharos, but with those advantages also come some disadvantages. It's less bulky on the special side and although steel typing grants it tons of resistances, it also gives it two new weaknesses (Fighting and Fire). Aside from that, its attacking movepool is kind of poor; it doesn't learn any type of move (Hidden Power nonetheless) aside from Electric, Steel or Normal.

Ampharos on the other hand, learns Power Gem, Signal Beam and can be taught Focus Blast (aside from all those Electric and Normal attacks), so it has that going for it.

I understand that competitively Ampharos is not great (its speed is atrocious, it's not bulky enough for standard and offers nothing new to a team), but it has its use in-game over Magneton/zone.
    Magnezone also learns Signal Beam via tutor, and the things that resist both Thunderbolt and Flash Cannon are things that Magnezone and Ampharos probably shouldn't be dealing with anyway.

16. - Top - End - #256

Magnezone also learns Signal Beam via tutor, and the things that resist both Thunderbolt and Flash Cannon are things that Magnezone and Ampharos probably shouldn't be dealing with anyway.
    What, you mean most Electric Pokemon? I see a electric resistance there, I want to take advantage of it.

Pokémon Friend Codes!

Spoiler
    Show

Pokémon Platinum
    2065-8881-0711

Pokémon Black
    1764-5885-4832

Pokémon White 2
    5115-3060-5236

0619-3578-2378

PM me before you add me

Check my stuff!

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

Also Ground-types which destroy you. And most Electric-types will do way worse things to you than you can do to them.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

18. - Top - End - #258

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    Also Ground-types which destroy you. And most Electric-types will do way worse things to you than you can do to them.
    Point on the Ground types, but I'm seriously wondering what can an Electric Pokemon do to you that would be "worse". Mind you, I'm talking in-game, not competitive metagame.

Pokémon Friend Codes!

Spoiler
    Show

Pokémon Platinum
    2065-8881-0711

Pokémon Black
    1764-5885-4832

Pokémon White 2
    5115-3060-5236

0619-3578-2378

PM me before you add me

Check my stuff!

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Agent_0042 View Post
    Caught a Joltik. N's Joltik.

Docile nature, level 28. IV's? 29 HP, 29 ATK, 29 DEF, 29 SP.A, 20 SP.D, 29 SPD.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

That can't be right... All of N's pokemon have 30 IVs in every stat.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I checked it at level 28, so it might be off a bit.

Huh, didn't know that though. Might look for N's Sigilyph for my psychic/flying 'mon.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

O noes, I have totes violated the sanctity of pokemon by riding my bike in a particular pattern in a certain city

and then, 5 hours later, caught Darkrai

I figure it's okay by my conscience because I've missed every event pokemon I've really wanted since Red/Blue with the exception of Keldeo and Genesect, and I have no idea what the schedule is like for re-releasing old event pokemon.
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2012-12-10 at 05:12 AM.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Derjuin View Post
    O noes, I have totes violated the sanctity of pokemon by riding my bike in a particular pattern in a certain city

and then, 5 hours later, caught Darkrai

I figure it's okay by my conscience because I've missed every event pokemon I've really wanted since Red/Blue with the exception of Keldeo and Genesect, and I have no idea what the schedule is like for re-releasing old event pokemon.
    Yikes. Having been curious enough to watch a video on how that was done, I think I'll just grovel to Oracle of Wuffling or somebody (or find someone body who's got a spare to trade!) when I get that far with my Pokedex; that looks like waaaay too much hard work!

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Point on the Ground types, but I'm seriously wondering what can an Electric Pokemon do to you that would be "worse". Mind you, I'm talking in-game, not competitive metagame.
    Power Gem is terrible a coverage move for Thunderbolt (Signal Beam covers a decent number of Pokémon you'll find in Unova). If you're up against another Electric type, you're usually best off switching out for something that can deal with your opponent faster rather than staying in.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

My Hippowdon is shiny.

My Hippowdon is shiny.

What in the frag?

It... I had no idea. I've never had one before, and the shiny Hippopotas is the same colour, but reversed, so I simply didn't twig. (And looking at the sprites, it definately was shiny.) Until is evolved, because Seism is emphatically all-over grey.

It's a Dreamworld Pokemon... I... didn't think they could be shiny... So... How in the heck? I mean, I did transfer it from Black to Black 2, but...

Huh?

Edit: wait, no, nevermind, there's four sets of sprites isn't there? And the females are normally "black" (well, grey). (And the shinies are the bottom pair, not the alternate pair; Bulbapedia could be a it more helpful in noting that!)

I was gonna say, I thought something really odd must have happened otherwise!
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-12-10 at 12:06 PM.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I think normal female Hippowdon looks best anyway.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

I think normal female Hippowdon looks best anyway.
    Hell yeah!

It's such a different colour to the male (and an awsome and rather intimidating one, for that matter!), that, never having had one before (and the male being the one you see in most of entries and whatnot), I just assumed it was so awesome it must have been shiny!

28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

I had the exact same reaction when I first caught a female Hippowdon in Platinum.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    That can't be right... All of N's pokemon have 30 IVs in every stat.
    :O I didn't know this. I have N's purrloin. I can use that for breeding!

Out of curiosity, what's the best way to breed a pokemon: Breed using two different power items for IVs or use an everstone to guarantee the correct nature?

I'm trying to breed an Excadrill since so many people here seem to swear by them, and I could use a good ground type.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    I'm trying to breed an Excadrill since so many people here seem to swear by them, and I could use a good ground type.
    Excadrill is best if you have a means of throwing up Sandstorms for it, but is still fairly formidable otherwise, with still-decent (but not great) Speed and fantastic Attack. Alternatively, with its Hidden Ability it can smash through Levitation easily... and is in general a better ability for non-Sandstorm teams.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    I had the exact same reaction when I first caught a female Hippowdon in Platinum.

:O I didn't know this. I have N's purrloin. I can use that for breeding!

Out of curiosity, what's the best way to breed a pokemon: Breed using two different power items for IVs or use an everstone to guarantee the correct nature?

Personally, I'd start with the everstone to help with the nature first (you either want Adamant or Jolly), and then work on producing one with good IV's once you have the nature pinned down.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show