New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Knight of the Eclipse (War Wizards in Pathfinder)

The knights of the medieval era where the special forces of their time. Heavily armored, highly trained men on horseback. So why would the "special forces" of a fantasy game still be knights? What good is a cavalry charge against a fireball?
    Therefore the special forces should be wizards train in battle with access to versatile spellpower, to always be able to push the advantage in a fight. Chivalrous, steadfast & loyal. They are diplomats & warriors of valor. It is not unhonorable to fight with magic, it is just another tool of war.

So it's always annoyed me that you can't find any battle mage support outside of the wizards of Cormyr prestige class, which in my opinion very outdated. Most archetypes/classes turn you into a gish, & that isn't quite what I'm wanting

So for use in Pathfinder I propose this:

Wizard Archetype: Knight of the Eclipse

No school specialization.
    Banned Schools of Necromancy & Illusion. There practices are not honorable & are shady at best
    Arcane Bond is a pair of warcaster gauntlets. They give the wearer +1 Caster Level, as well as the normal bonuses of an Arcane Bond
    Arcana Pool (Level/3) just like the Magus.
    Level 1: They gain the three abilities bellow
    Force Blade- Conjure a blade in a free hand,Swift action to conjure & maintain, doesn't interfere with spellcasting, +(level) to hit 1d8+Int damage, 1 Arcana pt per round
    Force Ward- +Int Shield Bonus, Immediate action, doesn't interfere with spellcasting, 1 Arcana pt per round
    Burning Focus- Any spell with a duration longer than one round can be extended by one round per spell level, Swift action to sustain

Other Arcana that they have access to,
    Empowered Magic
    Maximize Magic
    Quickened Magic
    Reflection
    Rod Mastery
    Rod Wielder
    Silent magic
    Still Magic
    Wand Mastery

They gain a new arcana every three levels, they do not gain wizard feats.

Level Four they get Spell Recall & at level six they get Improved Spell Recall

They belong to the organization Knights of the Eclipse (working title) They have to be lawful. They must abide by the laws & rules of the Knights or be kicked out & can't advance this class

What do you think? Too overpowered? Not enough uniqueness to warrant this Archetype? How can I make it better?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Knight of the Eclipse (War Wizards in Pathfinder)

Not to be disruptive but it sounds more like a prestige class than an ACF

SO bascially Knight of the Eclipse are Magus light with beetter spell casting?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

It should give up familiar so it's not too strong.

Ps: "Arcane bond" just didn't make the joke sound so good.
    My Homebrew
    5e - The Artificer (of Alancia)
    AGE of Darkness, converting World of Darkness to AGE
    Dungeons & Dark Souls, bringing the Souls universe to your 5e

My DMs Guild products

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Battlefield mages arbitrarily giving up Necromancy and Illusion seems odd. I understand you're going for the knight theme, but the "special forces" should at least see the value of misdirection and insta-kill spells.

By that logic, Enchantment and Conjuration should be dishonorable too; enchanters bend and break minds while conjurers make others do their fighting for them.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ngilop View Post
    Not to be disruptive but it sounds more like a prestige class than an ACF

SO bascially Knight of the Eclipse are Magus light with beetter spell casting?
    I have to second ngilop here. Arcane pool should just be the province of the magus; granting it to an archetype cheapens in for both. Alternately, you could have the wizard have to sacrifice spells for arcane pool-like abilities, but again, that would be cheapening it.

I would instead consider bringing this into a full 10 level prc and expanding upon your ideas as a concept. I'd also suggest keeping out the arcane pool, unless you wanted to make this either a magus/wizard multiclass prestige class, or if you were to make it a Magus only prestige class. Keep magus special and keep the arcane pool out of a wizard's hands.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DiBastet View Post
    It should give up familiar so it's not too strong.

Ps: "Arcane bond" just didn't make the joke sound so good.
    Arcane Bond is from Pathfinder's wizard. I can be a familiar or it can be a focus object.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LordofBones View Post
    Battlefield mages arbitrarily giving up Necromancy and Illusion seems odd. I understand you're going for the knight theme, but the "special forces" should at least see the value of misdirection and insta-kill spells.

By that logic, Enchantment and Conjuration should be dishonorable too; enchanters bend and break minds while conjurers make others do their fighting for them.
    As much as I thought about excluding those schools, there are too many useful spells that have nothing to do with summoning help :(, so I just went with the basic, no necro, no illusions

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anderlith View Post
    Arcane Bond is from Pathfinder's wizard. I can be a familiar or it can be a focus object.
    It's a Lightning Warrior joke. Don't worry about it. He just meant the Pathfinder term didn't sound as funny to him as the original wording of the joke.
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!