Results 1 to 29 of 29
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    noparlpf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default What's up with my chocolate?

    So I found a couple of bars of dark chocolate in a zip-lock bag on a low shelf by my desk. Oddly, the chocolate has turned a lighter shade of brown in a sort of bubbly pattern. It tastes more or less fine, a bit off maybe, and the texture's kind of unusual. I've heard that improperly stored chocolate can develop white spots of fat or sugar coming out of the mix, but couldn't find anything on this. Any ideas what's up with this chocolate?
    Jude P.

    Playing Pokémon X
    3DS friend code: 0705-3326-2027
    4- or 5-IV Pokémon available for trade listed on my Giant League Wiki page.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Lady Moreta's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: What's up with my chocolate?

    How old is it?

    I've found that happen to me with chocolate that's old and past it's use-by date.


    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Eurus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What's up with my chocolate?

    I believe it's the same thing. "Chocolate bloom", as it's called, can be either white or a more beige-y color. Here's a quick link I found from googling, with a pretty good image of a light brown bubbling pattern that it says is from bloom.

    http://www.fearlesschocolate.com/sci...ocolate-bloom/
    Avatar by araveugnitsuga.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Oz county
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What's up with my chocolate?

    Does the place you store you chocolate ever get hot, or is it near a heat source? Is your computer blowing exhaust on it? Heat causes chocolate bloom.

    Just be sure it's bloom and not mold; I had some chocolate which was highly suspect because it was in a room that ended up getting a mold infestation.
    I used to live in a world of terrible beauty, and then the beauty left.
    Dioxazine purple.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    noparlpf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What's up with my chocolate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Moreta View Post
    How old is it?

    I've found that happen to me with chocolate that's old and past it's use-by date.
    ...Chocolate expires? I don't know how old it is, I just figured that as it tasted more or less okay it was probably fine. (My mother actually bet money I wouldn't survive to eighteen. Hah! Showed her.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    I believe it's the same thing. "Chocolate bloom", as it's called, can be either white or a more beige-y color. Here's a quick link I found from googling, with a pretty good image of a light brown bubbling pattern that it says is from bloom.

    http://www.fearlesschocolate.com/sci...ocolate-bloom/
    Ah, okay. The couple of sites I saw all said it was always white. Yeah, it looks sort of like that. I think it might be a combination of the two, as the texture changed (sugar bloom) and it was heated (fat bloom).

    Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    Does the place you store you chocolate ever get hot, or is it near a heat source? Is your computer blowing exhaust on it? Heat causes chocolate bloom.

    Just be sure it's bloom and not mold; I had some chocolate which was highly suspect because it was in a room that ended up getting a mold infestation.
    That place was normally near room temperature, but I think I vaguely recall leaving that bag of chocolate bars in a car sitting in the sun.
    Jude P.

    Playing Pokémon X
    3DS friend code: 0705-3326-2027
    4- or 5-IV Pokémon available for trade listed on my Giant League Wiki page.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Coidzor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ruined Racetrack
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What's up with my chocolate?

    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    ...Chocolate expires? I don't know how old it is, I just figured that as it tasted more or less okay it was probably fine. (My mother actually bet money I wouldn't survive to eighteen. Hah! Showed her.)
    For sale, certainly. More of a best-buy date so long as it doesn't become contaminated or compromised by some kind of bacterial bloom.

    I suppose there might be some way the fat in it could become rancid?
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-11-08 at 09:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    noparlpf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What's up with my chocolate?

    These supposedly expired sometime between six months and a year ago, depending on the individual bar.
    Jude P.

    Playing Pokémon X
    3DS friend code: 0705-3326-2027
    4- or 5-IV Pokémon available for trade listed on my Giant League Wiki page.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Wyntonian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What's up with my chocolate?

    This is why I love this forum.
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

    A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Pie Guy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    center of earth

    Default Re: What's up with my chocolate?

    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    These supposedly expired sometime between six months and a year ago, depending on the individual bar.
    It's your call, but I wouldn't risk them. They may not be poisonous, but they probably don't taste very good.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Coidzor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ruined Racetrack
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What's up with my chocolate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pie Guy View Post
    It's your call, but I wouldn't risk them. They may not be poisonous, but they probably don't taste very good.
    As long as they're not too bad of a brand they'll taste ok, not as good as they would have, but still something that's more pleasant to eat than unpleasant if you want to get utilitarian about it. Might be a bit dry and grainy, depending.

    That's assuming they haven't gone bad in some legitimate way, but as long as nothing too crazy happened to them and they weren't exposed to the open air or something they should still be fine if that's all that's passed and the packaging isn't rubbish.

    And, well, if they're not quite up to snuff you can just melt them down for some obscene purpose. Or hot chocolate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    noparlpf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What's up with my chocolate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pie Guy View Post
    It's your call, but I wouldn't risk them. They may not be poisonous, but they probably don't taste very good.
    Eh, it tastes alright.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    As long as they're not too bad of a brand they'll taste ok, not as good as they would have, but still something that's more pleasant to eat than unpleasant if you want to get utilitarian about it. Might be a bit dry and grainy, depending.

    That's assuming they haven't gone bad in some legitimate way, but as long as nothing too crazy happened to them and they weren't exposed to the open air or something they should still be fine if that's all that's passed and the packaging isn't rubbish.

    And, well, if they're not quite up to snuff you can just melt them down for some obscene purpose. Or hot chocolate.
    It is (was?) Lindt 85%, if you're familiar with that brand. It's a bit dry and crumbly, but hasn't killed me yet, so that's a good sign.
    Jude P.

    Playing Pokémon X
    3DS friend code: 0705-3326-2027
    4- or 5-IV Pokémon available for trade listed on my Giant League Wiki page.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Socratov's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Below sea level
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What's up with my chocolate?

    As far as i know, chocolate starts to bloom after a couple of years. It iiirc means that the cocoa butter 'sweats' out of the chocolate. Only when contaminated heavily can chocolate go mouldy. It has an expiration date for the sam reason vinegar has one: its edible and it is sold so by law it should have one (even if it makes no sense whatsoever).

    Baubles for Blackwing!

    “The game, Viktor, is on!” - Avatar by the Outstanding Oneris

    Previous avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    Original by Grinner



    Original Tyrion by Smuchmuch:



    Pony Tyrion by Elemental:


  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    The Succubus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What's up with my chocolate?

    Can you get superpowers from eating out of date chocolate?

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    noparlpf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What's up with my chocolate?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Can you get superpowers from eating out of date chocolate?
    I hope so. Getting a real job will be a drag.
    Jude P.

    Playing Pokémon X
    3DS friend code: 0705-3326-2027
    4- or 5-IV Pokémon available for trade listed on my Giant League Wiki page.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Weezer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What's up with my chocolate?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Can you get superpowers from eating out of date chocolate?
    I think the real question here is what kind of superpowers would you get from chocolate based powers? Shoot liquid chocolate out of your fingers? Eat all the chocolate you want without getting fat? The possibilities are (far from) endless!
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning


    Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    noparlpf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What's up with my chocolate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
    I think the real question here is what kind of superpowers would you get from chocolate based powers? Shoot liquid chocolate out of your fingers? Eat all the chocolate you want without getting fat? The possibilities are (far from) endless!
    The ability to control peoples' minds through chocolate? The ability to teleport anywhere there is chocolate? The ability to manipulate chocolate telekinetically?
    Jude P.

    Playing Pokémon X
    3DS friend code: 0705-3326-2027
    4- or 5-IV Pokémon available for trade listed on my Giant League Wiki page.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Coidzor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ruined Racetrack
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What's up with my chocolate?

    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    The ability to control peoples' minds through chocolate? The ability to teleport anywhere there is chocolate? The ability to manipulate chocolate telekinetically?
    The ability to turn objects into chocolate?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    noparlpf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What's up with my chocolate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    The ability to turn objects into chocolate?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Jude P.

    Playing Pokémon X
    3DS friend code: 0705-3326-2027
    4- or 5-IV Pokémon available for trade listed on my Giant League Wiki page.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Gnoman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What's up with my chocolate?

    I expected you to go with this.

    Spoiler
    Show

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    noparlpf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What's up with my chocolate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    I expected you to go with this.

    Spoiler
    Show
    I've actually never heard of that.
    Jude P.

    Playing Pokémon X
    3DS friend code: 0705-3326-2027
    4- or 5-IV Pokémon available for trade listed on my Giant League Wiki page.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Drakeburn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Longsaddle
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What's up with my chocolate?

    I actually have a bit of a funny story here. Ever since I was a little boy, I had this teddy with what seemed like a heart - tipped wand or something. Jump to my teenage years, and I discovered that the heart is actually a heart - shaped chocolate in wrapping and on a stick. It looked just fine. So I ate it. And it tasted ok.
    Last edited by Drakeburn; 2012-11-09 at 11:36 PM.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Lady Moreta's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: What's up with my chocolate?

    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    ...Chocolate expires? I don't know how old it is, I just figured that as it tasted more or less okay it was probably fine. (My mother actually bet money I wouldn't survive to eighteen. Hah! Showed her.)
    Chocolate, according to the Cadbury Factory Tour (chocolate factory located in the city I went to uni at, they did tours), has a shelf-life of 52 weeks, provided it's stored correctly - and by which, I mean at a temperature lower than room temperature. Their chocolate storage facility was actually fairly cool. (Okay, so this particular company's chocolate has a shelf-life of 52 weeks... I have no idea about other companies.)

    Your chocolate is probably still edible provided that, as someone else said, it's not mold, but it may not taste that good any more. I've eaten chocolate with that kind of gunk on it, and while it's still fine to eat, it never tastes very good.
    Last edited by Lady Moreta; 2012-11-10 at 04:04 AM.


    My Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Oz county
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What's up with my chocolate?

    If you're in the rough vicinity, you could always pick up some new chocolate at Hershey World (Hershey, Pennsylvania). The most diabetic place on earth. Actually it's "the sweetest place on earth", but if you sampled everything on the same day....

    Fresh chocolate is awesome. And they give you free samples every time you go on a ride.
    I used to live in a world of terrible beauty, and then the beauty left.
    Dioxazine purple.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    noparlpf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What's up with my chocolate?

    I'm not a huge fan of Hershey's chocolate, actually. It's usually too sweet for me.
    Jude P.

    Playing Pokémon X
    3DS friend code: 0705-3326-2027
    4- or 5-IV Pokémon available for trade listed on my Giant League Wiki page.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Drakeburn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Longsaddle
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What's up with my chocolate?

    I enjoy chocolate every once in a while. And whenever I get a Hershey's bar, I take a piece, put it in my mouth, and let it melt in there.

    But for me, it's either Hershey's, Crunch, or Three Musketeers.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    noparlpf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What's up with my chocolate?

    I found some fresh 85% Lindt on sale at the supermarket. I'll compare it to the old stuff I have here later.
    Jude P.

    Playing Pokémon X
    3DS friend code: 0705-3326-2027
    4- or 5-IV Pokémon available for trade listed on my Giant League Wiki page.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    noparlpf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What's up with my chocolate?

    Got new chocolate. New chocolate is indeed vastly superior to old chocolate.
    Jude P.

    Playing Pokémon X
    3DS friend code: 0705-3326-2027
    4- or 5-IV Pokémon available for trade listed on my Giant League Wiki page.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Weezer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What's up with my chocolate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    If you're in the rough vicinity, you could always pick up some new chocolate at Hershey World (Hershey, Pennsylvania). The most diabetic place on earth. Actually it's "the sweetest place on earth", but if you sampled everything on the same day....

    Fresh chocolate is awesome. And they give you free samples every time you go on a ride.
    Hershey's bars aren't chocolate. They're vaguely chocolate flavored wax...
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning


    Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Oz county
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: What's up with my chocolate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
    Hershey's bars aren't chocolate. They're vaguely chocolate flavored wax...
    They still tasted good when they were definitely less than a week old and probably only two or three days old. Yum.
    I used to live in a world of terrible beauty, and then the beauty left.
    Dioxazine purple.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •