New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Youtube on the Wii

So as some of you know, my sole means of accessing the internet is my nintendo wii. This is more than sufficient for most of my internet needs, given that most of my browsing activity is right here in the playground and looking at webcomics and my video needs are -mostly- covered by netflix.

Sometimes though, a guy wants to watch some youtube videos. This leaves me with the choice between the XL version of youtube's website or the new youtube channel that debuted just a few days ago. Both options are more than a little frustrating.

The website has god-awful load times and the videos don't always load, but at least I can use my keyboard to tap in what I'm looking for relatively quickly. I also have to carefully adjust my zoom and position the video box just so, since trying to use full-screen causes unbearably low framerates.

The youtube channel, on the other hand, demands I input my search via the on-screen keyboard with my wii-mote. It has the same issue with videos not always loading, but it also seems to think my internet connection is being disrupted when this happens sometimes, necessitating that I reset the software and peck in my search all over again. It does have an advantage in a much smoother framerate and automatically adjusting to full-screen though.

I've made this thread partly to vent and partly to wonder aloud if anyone else understands this frustration. Any tips for how to make this less aggravating would also be welcome.

If anyone thinks it might be relevant at all, my connection's a hard-line directly from the cable modem to the wii via a LAN adapter.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Youtube on the Wii

Yeah the Wii has probably the worst youtube port yet, and the on screen keyboard is absolutely terrible.However at least you are not having to use wifi to load videos.The internet as a whole is bad too

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Oh jeez, that on screen keyboard, just...no. I realize it gets the job done (without forcing you to pay for something else) but it's still horrible.

That said, I haven't tried out the new channel, but the reports don't surprise me. Give it some time though, they might fix up those issues as time goes on.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

kind of off topic but
    how does one even connect a keyboard to a wii?
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

There're a pair of USB ports on the back side. A wii can actually understand most USB keyboards, though there are a few manufactured for the wii in particular and at least one that's designed to interface with the wii-mote.

I'd've lost my mind long ago if I had to type out posts by hunt-and-pecking with the wii-mote.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Non-Wii Solution:
    Go to walmart or costco. Spend 300 bucks on a real computer, which will afford you many other improved functionalities, on top of solving this problem.

Wii Solution:
    Wait for the Wii-U and hope it solves the problem.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    Non-Wii Solution:
    Go to walmart or costco. Spend 300 bucks on a real computer, which will afford you many other improved functionalities, on top of solving this problem.

Wii Solution:
    Wait for the Wii-U and hope it solves the problem.
    Do you have a solution that works without $300? If I had that to spend I'd've gotten past this little hiccup ages ago.

Incidentally, the wii-u launched here in the states last sunday. By all accounts it very well could solve this problem easily.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Do you have a solution that works without $300? If I had that to spend I'd've gotten past this little hiccup ages ago.

Incidentally, the wii-u launched here in the states last sunday. By all accounts it very well could solve this problem easily.
    Do you own a smartphone?
    If you have a Wii then it stands to reason you have wireless internet of some form.
    Most smartphones can connect to wireless internet, and doing so does not affect the data plan of your phone.
    Much better for youtube watching, added benefit of being mobile to anywhere in your house.

Speaking of wireless internet, if you have a smartphone that can connect to a wireless network, you can do just about everything for free on that network. Make calls, send and receive data and texts, it's pretty awesome.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I have neither a smartphone nor wireless internet. My wii is connected via lan-adapter to the cable modem with a 6ft ethernet cable. If it weren't I wouldn't have any internet at all.

I'm one seriously broke customer here.

I got the wii used for 70 bucks at a small electronics business that shut down less than a month after I made my purchase, earlier this year. Before that I had to drive 20 minutes to the public library to get on the internet and was limited to an hour a day. Naturally, the whole of that hour was generally spent looking for a job.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

This just in: I no longer have a choice in the matter.

Youtube has taken down the XL version of the website and I now must use the youtube channel. The standard youtube site is just plain too big for the wii's RAM to do anything with.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show