New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Coid's Crowing Conundrum of a Canticle of Crookedly Random Banter #185

Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    That was kinda lame.
    I'm confused because the words and your choice of emoticon say different things.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Coid's Crowing Conundrum of a Canticle of Crookedly Random Banter #185

Quote Originally Posted by AllIHaveIsCrunk View Post
    I'm confused because the words and your choice of emoticon say different things.
    It was more scared of what you might say in response.

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Ahh Kyth'ra... A knight of such honour and virtue, not to mention suppressed homicidal rage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    His life was over.
    Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Mystic who fluffs things with madness and zeal,
    Mynxae who always seeks rifts to heal,
    The lovely Dark Lady who's never at odds;
    These are a few of our favorite mods!

3. - Top - End - #843

It was more scared of what you might say in response.
    Well good dodge because it was going to be in all caps and filled with slurs.

Seriously, though. James Blake is the bomb, yo.

4. - Top - End - #844
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    I see your Afrikaans and raise you Dutch which seems to have that harsh 'sch' sound every other word...
    As I recall, Afrikaans has some Dutch heritage to it- which might explain the matter at hand somewhat.

Need to get back to writing rather than just procrastinating- why are even the things I want to do so unappealing today?
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

5. - Top - End - #845
    Ettin in the Playground

Dubstep is fun in moderation. So is alcohol. But you don't seem me drowning myself in either.

BVVVVVVVVVVVT BMP BMP BMP BMPMMM BPM BPM WAH WAH WAH
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

6. - Top - End - #846
    Titan in the Playground

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

7. - Top - End - #847
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    As I recall, Afrikaans has some Dutch heritage to it- which might explain the matter at hand somewhat.
    Yup. In fact, Afrikaans is mostly modified Dutch. Any Afrikaans-speaker and Dutch-speaker would be able to understand each other without too much trouble.

I've never heard an English-speaker try to speak Dutch, but I assume it would be just as amusing
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

8. - Top - End - #848

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    ...I'm not familiar enough with dubstep to judge, but this has been called "a capella dubstep."
    Last edited by Dimonite; 2012-11-20 at 10:06 AM.
    Quotes!
    Spoiler
    Show

BY THE HEAVENS! Dimonite! You are even more awesome than I thought!
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    *high fives!*
    That was awesome, made me smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witch-King View Post
    THIS aberrant, ancient evil ain't no playa! I'm gonna take care of my little Meduthids and my Spawnling Mama! Besides which--the Old Ones know the Elder Brain keeps pestering me about giving it some Grandspawnlings...
    The Neutralizer - my 3.5 class that attempts to make wizards less OP.
    Fantastic dragonpuppy drawn by my sister in the ancient times.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Troll in the Playground

Need to get back to writing rather than just procrastinating- why are even the things I want to do so unappealing today?
    yes they do share a heritage, kind of logical since the Dutch owned South Afrika for some time. but since then english and other more indigenous languages have entered a bit, So the differences really are there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Yup. In fact, Afrikaans is mostly modified Dutch. Any Afrikaans-speaker and Dutch-speaker would be able to understand each other without too much trouble.
    they would, albeit with some difficulty. Some words and bits of grammar have become very different. On the other hand, much has stayed the same though are just pronounced differently
    I've never heard an English-speaker try to speak Dutch, but I assume it would be just as amusing
    yes it is. Seeing an Englishman (or German for that matter) try to pronounce the 'sch', 'ui', the 'hard g' and the rolling 'r' is better then tv

Though I can imagine the reverse true as well when some Dutch people start to speak English. it's like they invent a whole new language...
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

10. - Top - End - #850
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    "Indeed" was a response to your explanation of the phenomenon, which means that I was backing it up, which means that I was seeing it that way by the time. At least, those were my intentions, and with this in mind, I became confused when you told me to start.

Even if you don't agree with me about this, just drop this line. It won't get us anywhere anyway.
    I do disagree here, for multiple reasons, but mostly because for it to mean that, you would have to be agreeing with me on something I hadn't even said yet... I'm happy to outline and discuss all the reasons for your benefit, but as per your request, I will leave it there.

Yes, I know my mind is probably both clouded and biased, but I don't think that is going to change before I can give any of this enough time to sink in and settle down. If, you feel like I've acted egotistical or unjust in any way, I just want you to know that I'm deeply sorry for that. I feel rather bad for this whole thing and any distress it may have caused you...
    If I may ask something of you, I'd like to suggest that you try to approach things slightly differently in the future.

My first is a request is that if you feel slighted by anything I have said, stop, and take a moment to rethink what I really meant. It's a good idea to do it with anyone, but I'm specifically mentioning me because I know that I don't go out there intending to insult anyone (and the same is true for most, but not all, other people, but it's those few people that do which ruin it for the rest of us).

And the second is a suggestion. If you still feel concerned by what I've said, why don't you PM me instead? I suggest this because you may feel less defensive or feel less of a need to defend yourself if it's a private conversation between you and me.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

11. - Top - End - #851
    Colossus in the Playground

Ooh. Please say it's got places big enough for a ranger to shoot past people. Once I remember my party was descending into a tunnel via ladder, got down, opened up into a big room.. People kept crowding the entryway so much I wanted to just say 'Screw it, I'm trying to shoot past you. If I critically fail and hit you in the head, it's your friggen' fault!'
    Yes, it does, but this is 4E so no shooting your buddies in the back of the head

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Dubstep is fun in moderation. So is alcohol. But you don't seem me drowning myself in either.

BVVVVVVVVVVVT BMP BMP BMP BMPMMM BPM BPM WAH WAH WAH
    In my expierance, if you took a group of ewoks and told them to just say random crap, it sounds like dubstep.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Titan in the Playground

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

13. - Top - End - #853
    Titan in the Playground

I really. REEEEEEALLY don't like cats.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

14. - Top - End - #854
    Titan in the Playground

As long as you still feed them and pet them, they're ok with that.

― Tim Fargo

15. - Top - End - #855
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

I have a sudden desire to play Cyberpunk 2020.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

16. - Top - End - #856
    Titan in the Playground

I'm hungry! D:
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

17. - Top - End - #857
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Well, it's not much, but these are the ones I liked. Aside from the Game II that was mentioned earlier.

Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you, Coidzor. Actually the Rambling Rose is one of my favourites too, although I have been fixated by Game II since Mr. August brought it up.

You like purple, I see? If I recall your complexion correctly from having seen your pictures, it would be a good colour for you.

I would probably not. Money requires a colour scheme that inspires confidence and stability in my mind.
    You're right, and I suppose also that it should not be so pretty that one would rather keep it than spend it.

Well, I had a look, and I would have to say that these five are exceptionally fine: Winter Floral, Floral Paisley, Sterling Blooms, Au79 and the Cairo.
    And thank you as well, Elemental.

I notice all three of the people who responded chose a white-on-white tie. I find that style very attractive myself. Hmm, the choice is going to be difficult.
    Last edited by Kneenibble; 2012-11-20 at 12:16 PM.

18. - Top - End - #858
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    In my expierance, if you took a group of ewoks and told them to just say random crap, it sounds like dubstep.
    Now I've got the image of Ewoks in a blender somehow. Actually...that's not a bad analogy of dubstep. Random shouts from Ewoks and the occasional blender grinding sound as it gets stuck and unstuck.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

19. - Top - End - #859
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Yes, it does, but this is 4E so no shooting your buddies in the back of the head
    Aww. I remember that in that campaign I also ended up rolling a one on an attack roll with my bow and shot myself in the foot.

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ahh Kyth'ra... A knight of such honour and virtue, not to mention suppressed homicidal rage.
    His life was over.

20. - Top - End - #860
    Troll in the Playground

Aww. I remember that in that campaign I also ended up rolling a one on an attack roll with my bow and shot myself in the foot.
    Well, that's just natural ones for you, and some of us aren't quite as punitive as that (I for one prefer to have the arrow hit something ridiculous that can't have an overall effect on the encounter)
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

21. - Top - End - #861
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, that's just natural ones for you, and some of us aren't quite as punitive as that (I for one prefer to have the arrow hit something ridiculous that can't have an overall effect on the encounter)
    It was still pretty funny though. There was another time with that same ranger that to be able to get through a town gate, I slept with a whole guardhouse (like 10 guards?). It was awesome.

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    His life was over.

22. - Top - End - #862
    Ogre in the Playground

I remember a campaign I was playing... I was a Halfling Rogue. The other two were a Dragonborn Fighter & a Dragonborn Warlord. We killed everything except 3 gargoyles that were damaged & turned to stone on a ledge to heal up. We climbed up to pull them down, each of us targeting one.

As we approached, they flew about 15 feet from the ledge. We were, like, 30 feet up. Fluff the DM added after all our rolls were successful: Me and the fighter glance at each other, nod, and leap off the ledge, each onto a gargoyle. As our weight brings the gargoyles down to the ground, we wrestle them down to use as landing cushions, killing them both on impact, both landing upright & ready to continue the fight.

The numbers:
    - Athletics check to jump.
    - Grapple check (I think it was Athletics vs Con for the fighter & Acrobatics vs Ref for me? I kinda forget. Whatever the 4E rules were.)
    - He let us use an acrobatics check to force our opponent downward, resulting in 150% fall damage to them & 50% fall damage to us.
    - Acrobatics check to reduce my own fall damage to 0, so I didn't land prone. The fighter took some damage, but his magic boots allowed him to not be prone when he landed.

After all this, the DM decided to name the campaign "Legends of Wrestling 3". The next room involved the Dragonborns fighting in oil while I threw pies (from our Everlasting Provisions) at a thingy making sparks to prevent it from igniting the oil.

That was a fun campaign.
    Avatar by me. It's Incendius Darkscale, a Good Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer, Demonskin Adept, Prince of Hell, worshiper of the Platinum Dragon (Bahamut), specializing in Fire and Lightning, wielding a staff in each hand.

23. - Top - End - #863
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    Oh, and then, when trying to argue with me whether it was fair for me to stop responding to him, he tried to use examples of horrible things which made sense for me ignore him about, his supposed horrible things, at least one was one I actually supported. I'm not going into details, obviously, but gods, I'm pissed at him. Frakker.
    Hmm, that's too bad. I hope you'll get past it and on good foots with him again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I have, in my frequent trawling of all mercantile avenues for ways to slake my wyrmish lust for material fineness, been fixated by this Etsy vendor of neck- and bow-ties for several months now.

The only problem is, there are too many to choose from. I wish that the discursives here might indulge me with their favourites.
    Hmm, many of them are pretty indeed, although personally, I think I prefer deep colours (especially blue or green) together with minimalistic designs, which isn't quite what that site has to offer... They have many pretty ties, they just aren't for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon-freak89 View Post
    ...When I describe things, they usually sound much worse than they are.
    Join the club. I can't retell a story of a minor bruise without having LaLa think I'm trying to kill myself.

Oh, and regarding your maths question earlier, yes, 1111111 * 11111 is indeed 12345554321.

ION:
    Went to bed before midnight, woke up at ten. Then I remembered that I had homework for my Single Variable Calculus course that I had to hand it at 13:15. Progress with that one went slower than expected, since I'd forgotten how to calculate the tangent's equation and had to reason myself to the correct calculations. I was finally done at 12:30, but by then I was pretty much gone due to hunger, since I hadn't had any breakfast. Thankfully, despite being a slow eater, I managed to push two Gorbachevs down my stomach ("Gorby"s, or ready-cooked pasties. There are pan-pizzas called "Billy"s too ) and get there in time.

IOON:
    Saw something rather unusual over here: A bird of prey flying over the houses. I was studying the neighbourhood from our bathroom window when suddenly all fieldfares left all at ones from our neighbours great maple tree, and a smaller flock of great tits appears out of nowhere and lands in our two junipers, quickly making their way in between the thick branches. I wonder what caused all this commotion when a hawk (at least I think it was a hawk) enters the scene from the left. It seems rather unconcerned about the commotion around it and cruised past with little effort. So cool.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

24. - Top - End - #864
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, and regarding your maths question earlier, yes, 1111111 * 11111 is indeed 12345554321.
    Is that question really easy, really hard, or somewhere in between (when doing it in your head)? I need to figure out if I'm an idiot, a genius, or neither.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

25. - Top - End - #865
    Titan in the Playground

Is that question really easy, really hard, or somewhere in between (when doing it in your head)? I need to figure out if I'm an idiot, a genius, or neither.
    Well, when you know the trick for multiplying two strings of 1s, it's really easy, but if you don't, it's at least tedious (I wouldn't say hard, but I'm very biased toward thinking maths is easy). It's nothing I would ask of the man on the street to do, at least.

The trick (which only works if none of the numbers have more than 9 digits):
    Start by counting up from 1 until you reach the length of the shorter number (12345), repeat the last digit until you reach the length of the longer number (1234555) and then count down to 1 again (12345554321). That's the answer.

With numbers longer than 9 digits, you get some weird overflow behaviour that doesn't match this pattern nearly as nicely (1111111111 * 1111111111 = 1234567900987654321).

Now, if you calculated that on your own without knowing the trick, then good job and I think it's reasonable to say that you're definitely better at head-counting than the average. If you figured out the trick yourself, I think you're worth an eulogy as well. If you knew of the trick since earlier and used it to get to the solution, well, that's hardly enough to say anything about your intellect, except possibly that you know how to count to 10.

Show

26. - Top - End - #866
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, when you know the trick for multiplying two strings of 1s, it's really easy, but if you don't, it's at least tedious (I wouldn't say hard, but I'm very biased toward thinking maths is easy). It's nothing I would ask of the man on the street to do, at least.

Start by counting up from 1 until you reach the length of the shorter number (12345), repeat the last digit until you reach the length of the longer number (1234555) and then count down to 1 again (12345554321). That's the answer.

With numbers longer than 9 digits, you get some weird overflow behaviour that doesn't match this pattern nearly as nicely (1111111111 * 1111111111 = 1234567900987654321).

Now, if you calculated that on your own without knowing the trick, then good job and I think it's reasonable to say that you're definitely better at head-counting than the average. If you figured out the trick yourself, I think you're worth an eulogy as well. If you knew of the trick since earlier and used it to get to the solution, well, that's hardly enough to say anything about your intellect, except possibly that you know how to count to 10.
    I think I would've just used a calculator.
    A few odds and ends.

27. - Top - End - #867
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    I think I would've just used a calculator.
    Pfft, where's the fun in that?

Show

28. - Top - End - #868
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't know what a eulogy is, but apparently I earned one in elementary school.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

29. - Top - End - #869
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't know what a eulogy is, but apparently I earned one in elementary school.
    A congratulatory speech for certain occasions. They give them at funerals too (at least, I think that's the word for it).

Pfft, where's the fun in that?

There are better things I could spend my time doing, like trying to find my calculator, or laughing at all of my physics homework.
    A few odds and ends.

30. - Top - End - #870
    Titan in the Playground

Praise, basically.

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    There are better things I could spend my time doing, like trying to find my calculator, or laughing at all of my physics homework.
    I have at times calculated moderately tricky figures faster in my head than my friends have been able to on the calculator. It doesn't happen every day, but I still consider myself fast enough to prefer to work without one. Keeps my brain up to shape, which always is a good thing.
    Last edited by Teddy; 2012-11-20 at 06:18 PM.

Show