New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Coid's Crowing Conundrum of a Canticle of Crookedly Random Banter #185

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Kneenibble, word to the wise - find out if your target has a cat before sending the budgie agent.
    I thank you for your concern, but the budgie agents are professionals, risen through training above the meekness of their domestic peers. They study evasive manoeuvres, massage techniques, and carry capsules of colourful knockout gas.

They know well the risks of the work when they enlist.

Here is an example of one of our advanced training classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Hmm, many of them are pretty indeed, although personally, I think I prefer deep colours (especially blue or green) together with minimalistic designs, which isn't quite what that site has to offer... They have many pretty ties, they just aren't for me.
    That is fair. Even for me, I often plan to wear something garish the night before; but in the light of morning, I find that I do not have the strength to bear so much fabulousness.

IOON:
    Saw something rather unusual over here: A bird of prey flying over the houses. I was studying the neighbourhood from our bathroom window when suddenly all fieldfares left all at ones from our neighbours great maple tree, and a smaller flock of great tits appears out of nowhere and lands in our two junipers, quickly making their way in between the thick branches. I wonder what caused all this commotion when a hawk (at least I think it was a hawk) enters the scene from the left. It seems rather unconcerned about the commotion around it and cruised past with little effort. So cool.
    Fieldfares and titmice are sooooo cute! So are hawks. What a wonderful scene.

I hope you went outside and cuddled all those birds at once afterwards, to comfort them in their fear.
    Last edited by Kneenibble; 2012-11-21 at 03:10 PM.

2. - Top - End - #962
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Coid's Crowing Conundrum of a Canticle of Crookedly Random Banter #185

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I thank you for your concern, but the budgie agents are professionals, risen through training above the meekness of their domestic peers. They study evasive manoeuvres, massage techniques, and carry capsules of colourful knockout gas.

Oh my god so adorable. It just bounces on the cat's ear...*d'aws* That cat, it has the patience of a cat-saint. Budgie was really working that paw.

Starcraft Kneeeeee?
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

3. - Top - End - #963
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    Oh my god so adorable. It just bounces on the cat's ear...*d'aws* That cat, it has the patience of a cat-saint. Budgie was really working that paw.

Starcraft Kneeeeee?
    The cat was enjoying every minute: don't let his insincere swipes fool you.

I am not at home right now ;____;

I may be able to spare the time for a game later this evening. Will you be afoot?

4. - Top - End - #964
    Ettin in the Playground

I may have just squee'd myself into a coma.

5. - Top - End - #965
    Titan in the Playground

That is fair. Even for me, I often plan to wear something garish the night before; but in the light of morning, I find that I do not have the strength to bear so much fabulousness.
    And yet you're one of the most fabulous persons I know. Imagine me wearing an elaborate pattern. It just doesn't compute.

That said, I'd love to dress fabulously, but then it has to be out-of-the-line fabulous (a great mantle in the shape of wings and a slightly overbearing fleece coat are both designs that float around in my head). I can't really come to terms with most of the ordinary fabulous...

To be honest, I prefer cut over pattern any day of the week, probably because the cut defines the whole piece, while I see way too many patterns that don't agree with the cut of their pieces already out in circulation. Sadly, there isn't much variation to be found in terms of cut out on the market, and certainly not experimentation. And most of the patterns are either repulsive or adhere to a colour scheme I can't approve of (black, for example. I refuse to wear all black, there are already way too many ninjas out on the streets as it is).

Fieldfares and titmice are sooooo cute! So are hawks. What a wonderful scene.

I hope you went outside and cuddled all those birds at once afterwards, to comfort them in their fear.
    Well, the fieldfares disappeared toward the horison, and to hug the tits, I'd have to burrow myself deeply into the junipers, and I'm just not sure I'd value living the rest of my life as an inverted hedgehog.
    Okay, to be honest, the greater of the two junipers (great enough to swallow a lamp post, I find it magnificient) can be entered with little to no risk of harm, but I had homework approaching its deadline which I needed to take care of, so I didn't really have time to interfere with the dangers and excitements of nature.

ION:
    Paper tube, bubble wrap, strong paper... I wonder if baking paper agrees with molten solder...
    Last edited by Teddy; 2012-11-21 at 04:29 PM.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

6. - Top - End - #966
    Ettin in the Playground

ION:
    Paper tube, bubble wrap, strong paper... I wonder if baking paper agrees with molten solder...
    Everything agrees with solder, given enough time/solder.

There was a pianist whose name I cannot recall that used to "prepare" his pianos, by putting different kinds of hardware on the strings -- nails, tacks, coins, &c.
    You're probably thinking of John Cage. I'll randomly pick... Sonata X.
    A few odds and ends.

7. - Top - End - #967
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    Everything agrees with solder, given enough time/solder.
    Well, in this case, the point is that it shouldn't stick after solidifying. Given, I should probably seek another approach entirely, but I can't help but pondering the question anyway. I should probably focus my thoughts on thinking up a design instead...

Show

8. - Top - End - #968
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, in this case, the point is that it shouldn't stick after solidifying. Given, I should probably seek another approach entirely, but I can't help but pondering the question anyway. I should probably focus my thoughts on thinking up a design instead...
    Why do you need the solder to not stick? That's important to the design.
    A few odds and ends.

9. - Top - End - #969
    Bugbear in the Playground

There was a pianist whose name I cannot recall that used to "prepare" his pianos, by putting different kinds of hardware on the strings -- nails, tacks, coins, &c.
    I went to a college concert once where someone had taken a grand piano apart and removed the keyboard, then played it like a harp, but he had modified the strings so that it couldn't play anything but jumbled, atonal discords. Afterwards, I heard some people unironically congratulating him on his invention, while it took every ounce of willpower I had not tho throw him out the window for savaging a piano in that way.

The conversation is so painfully awkward and everything he says about getting married and his wife dying of cancer is later revealed to be a lie. He had actually stalked the woman he named, and in spite of his sensitive and lonely performance, he's a creep and a player. It's one of my favourite scenes in one of my favourite movies.

It was just a self-deprecating joke.

I shall confess my great shame to you: I don't have one either.
    Oh, I see. I have a LOT of awkward conversations, so I found it fairly normal.

You know what? I refuse to be ashamed of not having a driver's license. I don't NEED one if I don't have a car (and I don't)!
    Quotes!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    BY THE HEAVENS! Dimonite! You are even more awesome than I thought!
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    *high fives!*
    That was awesome, made me smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witch-King View Post
    THIS aberrant, ancient evil ain't no playa! I'm gonna take care of my little Meduthids and my Spawnling Mama! Besides which--the Old Ones know the Elder Brain keeps pestering me about giving it some Grandspawnlings...
    The Neutralizer - my 3.5 class that attempts to make wizards less OP.
    Fantastic dragonpuppy drawn by my sister in the ancient times.

10. - Top - End - #970
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    I went to a college concert once where someone had taken a grand piano apart and removed the keyboard, then played it like a harp, but he had modified the strings so that it couldn't play anything but jumbled, atonal discords. Afterwards, I heard some people unironically congratulating him on his invention, while it took every ounce of willpower I had not tho throw him out the window for savaging a piano in that way.

Oh, I see. I have a LOT of awkward conversations, so I found it fairly normal.

You know what? I refuse to be ashamed of not having a driver's license. I don't NEED one if I don't have a car (and I don't)!
    But... I love atonal, dissonant music... Were I there, I would likely have congratulated the man also. To each his own, I suppose (defenestration is something else I enjoy )

Driver's licenses are good to have, car or no. For example, if your friends are drunk, and they would otherwise have been your ride home, you don't have to call a taxi.
    A few odds and ends.

11. - Top - End - #971
    Colossus in the Playground

I may be able to spare the time for a game later this evening. Will you be afoot?
    What race do you play? I want to guess...Protoss? If only because I want to imagine all the Protoss units wearing armor and decorations that make em look like budgies.

12. - Top - End - #972
    Bugbear in the Playground

But... I love atonal, dissonant music... Were I there, I would likely have congratulated the man also. To each his own, I suppose (defenestration is something else I enjoy )

Driver's licenses are good to have, car or no. For example, if your friends are drunk, and they would otherwise have been your ride home, you don't have to call a taxi.
    Oh, I'm fine with atonal, dissonant music. Random series of "chords" played on a cannibalized piano, each one a gratingly awful sound? Less so. That being said, I'll throw you out a window anytime, Speedasaurus!

Eh, that doesn't really apply to me; I don't go to parties. Or go to a school in a town where I can't walk everywhere I need to go.
    Quotes!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    BY THE HEAVENS! Dimonite! You are even more awesome than I thought!
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    *high fives!*
    That was awesome, made me smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witch-King View Post
    THIS aberrant, ancient evil ain't no playa! I'm gonna take care of my little Meduthids and my Spawnling Mama! Besides which--the Old Ones know the Elder Brain keeps pestering me about giving it some Grandspawnlings...
    The Neutralizer - my 3.5 class that attempts to make wizards less OP.
    Fantastic dragonpuppy drawn by my sister in the ancient times.

13. - Top - End - #973
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, I'm fine with atonal, dissonant music. Random series of "chords" played on a cannibalized piano, each one a gratingly awful sound? Less so. That being said, I'll throw you out a window anytime, Speedasaurus!

Eh, that doesn't really apply to me; I don't go to parties. Or go to a school in a town where I can't walk everywhere I need to go.
    Ah, I suppose I cannot speak for the "music" he played on the "piano".

Well, I may go to parties, but I don't party, per se. I mostly sit in a corner and laugh at all the drunk people. I'm pretty much there for the food (and the music, if it's any good).
    A few odds and ends.

14. - Top - End - #974
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    What race do you play? I want to guess...Protoss? If only because I want to imagine all the Protoss units wearing armor and decorations that make em look like budgies.
    But zerg are so organical! And mutalissssksssssss.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    don't feed the troll...

15. - Top - End - #975
    Titan in the Playground

Why do you need the solder to not stick? That's important to the design.
    Because I may need the shape it takes on, not a blob of metal stuck to a sheet of baking paper.

EDIT:
    In 10 minutes, I managed to come up with a design that I'm insanely proud of. Seriously, if I actually made it work, I'd probably die on the spot from pride. It's just that good. No, I'm not telling you what I'm plotting. It's sekret.
    Last edited by Teddy; 2012-11-21 at 06:02 PM.

Show

16. - Top - End - #976
    Firbolg in the Playground

That sounds awesome. If I had the money to afford to take apart a grand piano, I totally would.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

17. - Top - End - #977
    Troll in the Playground

There are also less permanent ways of preparing a piano if you know what you're doing- at least as I understand it...

here is a song that uses a prepared piano.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

18. - Top - End - #978
    Ettin in the Playground

I took the bulk of your reply out of the quote for brevity's sake, but thank you for the details. It is fascinating.

I love going into the piano to muck around with the strings manually! I recently dismantled an ancient piano to reclaim the wood, and after I had removed all the key mechanisms I spent several hours just playing with the strings as if it were a harp.

I've seen Uehara using a device for a brighter sound from a grand piano; and I DO recall a pianist that used to prepare them similarly to what you have described, I shall consult my music teacher on hints of his identity on the soonest possibility of brevity.
    I shall prepare a drift of the finest powder for your careful wallowing, as soft as feathers with a harmonious squeak when compressed; and frolic for the both of us, for good fortune has blessed me with sprightliness.

[Again I removed the bulk of your reply from the quote for brevity's sake, but thank you for the details about electronic pianos. One day I may get to muck around with that kind of thing]
    That is most courteous of you.

One is never too old, young or inexpert to try doing anything. From blowing things up to base jumping, to playing with playing; I myself just learned how to make home-made batteries, something I should have learnt a long time ago.
    Tertulia! I had not heard this word before, but I like it. Let it be so! Let us all go forth in our finery and discourse refinedly!
    Quite a fantastic word, I can even remember where I learnt it; "El Maestro del Esgrima" by Perez-Reverte a magnificent book which was one of the reason I got into fencing.

Indeed, the prospect of discourse on music and arts, in ornithology and botany is something I await heartily for.
    I am contacting the budgie agent in your area: he will be carrying a sprig of cantuta blossoms so you know he is not an imposter.
    Spoiler
    Show

He will help you arrange travel north. Just to warn you, you may need to ride him most of the way.
    He should get along wonderfully with my little parakeet (which I actually got identified after a long period of just thinking it was a bright small parrot).

Riding flying creatures would be something new to me, but it seems like rather enjoyable and something I actually would love to try.

Sometimes atonal music works sometimes... it's just idiocy disguised as most of "post-modernist" art is.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

19. - Top - End - #979
    Firbolg in the Playground

Most post-modernist art is declared idiocy by people who don't understand it. It takes a LOT of effort to get to the message that the artist intends, but there is almost always a message, just as legitimately as any other theory of art.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

20. - Top - End - #980
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Most post-modernist art is declared idiocy by people who don't understand it. It takes a LOT of effort to get to the message that the artist intends, but there is almost always a message, just as legitimately as any other theory of art.
    When it is possible to mistake a janitor leaving a mop and a bucket for a piece; or when it is possible for a janitor to actually mistake one for something that needs cleaning up one can see that something is not quite right.

One could randomly throw things together and say it intends to represent chaos. Most of the times it's wholly based on interpretation by "connoisseurs" and name weights more than the actual pieces as evidenced by several experiments by artists tired of "post modernist art".

I do concede there are post-modernist pieces, with an intent, a message, a meaning; but there is are also loads of crap which are passed of as post-modernist art and which is considered such. Pretty much anything could be called post-modernist art, and as such it becomes simple to say everyday objects are post modernist art pieces; "oh picture the hexahedron, a symbolic representation of the universe; its maker intends to convey a message of randomness shielded by the order and predictability of numbers; the blue hue is meant to symbolise the peacefulness of the act contrasting with the chaos of the result."; I call it my blue d6. When everything is art, nothing is.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

21. - Top - End - #981
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Here.

For me it's the mother of all earworms.
    Not bad, but I prefer to be followed by a moonshadow.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

22. - Top - End - #982

The Wii U is magical.

23. - Top - End - #983
    Titan in the Playground

The Wii U is magical.
    I suppose I can count that as a recommendation?
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

24. - Top - End - #984
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    I wouldn't, if I were you. What she means is the first time she tried to play with it, it turned her into a newt. She got better.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Not bad, but I prefer to be followed by a moonshadow.
    Personally I'd rather go to a Moondance while in a moon trance.
    Last edited by Heliomance; 2012-11-21 at 09:41 PM.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!

25. - Top - End - #985
    Titan in the Playground

I still can't get past how to pronounce the name.

weee-oooo-weee-ooo...
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #986
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post

weee-oooo-weee-ooo...
    We You.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

27. - Top - End - #987
    Troll in the Playground

I am available today and of the now, but am in a terrible state of cold. My body enjoys regressing its health right before days of familial celebrations. But I took a few-hour nap and feel better. I CAN DO ET!

The Wii U is magical.
    I literally only found it wasn't just a Wii-compatible uber-iPad today. I was expecting the fancy Breaking-Apple's-Patent-on-Square-Pad controller, and a Wii comparable to the fancy 250g black xbox with the built in wifi thing. BUT IT IS DIFFERENT!
    Spoiler
    Show
    don't feed the troll...

28. - Top - End - #988

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post

weee-oooo-weee-ooo...
    Wii U as in Umlaut. I don't know how to write the Umlaut on my keyboard. Though Rawhide's simple "Wii You" is sensible as well.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2012-11-21 at 10:19 PM.

29. - Top - End - #989
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    I wouldn't, if I were you. What she means is the first time she tried to play with it, it turned her into a newt. She got better.

Personally I'd rather go to a Moondance while in a moon trance.
    This song is pretty funny (to some).
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

30. - Top - End - #990
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    We You.
    And you can have your We You Me play with your friend's We You Me in some games.
    Avatar by me. It's Incendius Darkscale, a Good Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer, Demonskin Adept, Prince of Hell, worshiper of the Platinum Dragon (Bahamut), specializing in Fire and Lightning, wielding a staff in each hand.