New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,483 of 1483
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Coid's Crowing Conundrum of a Canticle of Crookedly Random Banter #185

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    This conversation you are carrying on with Elemental makes me happy. What do the anti-budgies look like?
    Perhaps they have an inverted colour scheme to that of ordinary budgies, or perhaps you can't tell the difference, I don't know. Myself, I imagine them with a fully extradimensional colour array, intangible to lesser minds and capable of driving rational humans to an otherworldly madness. A Lovecraftian palette, if you so wish.

I'm browsing Youtube to help me hear the difference. Norwegian fits into this too?! How interesting. I know so little about the world. ;___;
    Swedes, Danes and Norwegians are generally able to understand eachother perfectly well if we don't get all too excited and/or drunk (although Danes sound like they're drunk to start with, so perhaps we're easier for them to understand while slightly inebriated ).

Icelanders can even be intelligible if it's a good day, but it's hard and requires a good knowledge of both aged vocabulary and an affinity with puzzles. Takes the Icelandic word "lögregla". At first it looks like complete nonsense, but when you take it apart, you get "lög", which isn't all too unlike "lag" ("law"), and "regla", which sounds like "reglera" ("regulator"). So, the gibberish "lögregla" is actually a law regulator, or a policeman (although I might have gotten my etymologies wrong, seeing how "regla" also sounds like "regel" ("rule")).

Hmm. And yet, how can you construct a positivist national mythology without a literary canon? [I'm only half-joking about that] Maybe I just take the idea of a canon for granted, being of English descent in a country whose official heritage is English and French, two of the biggest canonists around.
    Our national mythos is mainly carried through tradition and children's tales, just like we've always done.

Seriously though -- let me ask this instead. If I were an Arts student in Sweden, is there a Swedish Literature degree I could take? And is there a list of usual suspects that I would study? Is Strindberg in there somewhere? I really like Strindberg if you haven't noticed.
    Probably. I've never looked, so I wouldn't know, but I find it highly unlikely that you'd be completely unable to find a Swedish Literature course in all of Sweden.

That said, I wouldn't be all too surprised if you found more Swedish Literature courses outside of Sweden than within its borders...

I am happy for you!
    Here is a winter-coloured budgie to help you celebrate.
    Spoiler
    Show
    *budgie*
    Yay!
    *huggles all budgies around*
    Last edited by Teddy; 2012-11-28 at 04:15 PM.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Coid's Crowing Conundrum of a Canticle of Crookedly Random Banter #185

Look apon me and despair, general populace, for I have once again entered the realm of the Job Havers!

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Look apon me and despair, general populace, for I have once again entered the realm of the Job Havers!
    Agast! What does this doomed future hold? What does this terrible curse entail?

Show

4. - Top - End - #1474

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Agast! What does this doomed future hold? What does this terrible curse entail?
    I'm working at my Mom's place. I'll be working 10 to 3 every day except Sunday, and the next three Saturday's are all full day things.

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Titan in the Playground

Anyone remember that exchange thingy? Started with an Alot of Time pic and continued from there? There was definitely a Space Bar.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Titan in the Playground

I'm working at my Mom's place. I'll be working 10 to 3 every day except Sunday, and the next three Saturday's are all full day things.
    Ohh, then I suppose congratulations are in order!

So, what sort of work does your new position involve?

Show

7. - Top - End - #1477

Ohh, then I suppose congratulations are in order!

So, what sort of work does your new position involve?
    Doing dishes, cleaning the kitchen, and helping witht he cooking. I made fries today!

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Titan in the Playground

Doing dishes, cleaning the kitchen, and helping witht he cooking. I made fries today!
    Nice, I guess. For as long as you're happy, I'm happy. *thumbs up*

Show

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    I am confused. I thought the Demon Cat had passed away.
    No? IIRC a while back Curly complained that while she'd been at uni the DemonCat had to go to the vet for something potentially life-threatening and she was annoyed her family hadn't told her? Maybe you were thinking of that?

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    Can I just get hugs from you guys and make the Bad Things go away?
    *Hugs*

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    Ele, I swear you just made that wall of post so only the truly devoted would bother responding.
    Pfft, you call that a wall of text requiring true devotion? In my day, Random Banter had at least 3 walls of text per page! And they were longer than that! And we had to multiquote by hand!

Quote Originally Posted by AllIHaveIsCrunk View Post
    Not really. I just wanted to set up that "makes Romeo and Juliet look like Shakespeare" joke. And none of you laughed.
    Yes really, that's the nonsensical phrasing I was referring to. It just wasn't a very good joke I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Could be worse. I was once forced to read all of Pride and Prejudice for my English GCSE and all because of a scene involving Colin Firth and a wet shirt. Suddenly everyone* became obsessed with that damn book and the wretched scene isn't even in it.

As a fifteen year old kid, I wasn't interested in the slightest about the fact that Elizabeth Bennet thought Mr Darcy the most awful snob, or how scandalous it was that Jane ran off with the caddish Mr Wickham.

Why couldn't we have studied a story with meat to it like 1984 or Animal Farm?

Yeah, Ms Austen and I don't see eye to eye.

* Everyone, that is, that went warm and melty at the sight of Colin Firth in clingy wet period costume.
    Hey, Pride and Prejudice is great! You shouldn't be put off good literature just because some of its fans are just as silly as its third main female character.

Quote Originally Posted by AllIHaveIsCrunk View Post
    While I agree with you about Ms Austen I don't agree on your reasons. The internet has this juvenile belief that "higher stakes" equals "better content" and that is just nonsense. Just the mostly widely believed rubbish today, second only to "pop music is bad because it's pop music".
    I'm confused as to what the higher stakes thing has to do with Succubus' cmplaints about P&P. And I'm certain there are more widely believed rubbishes, not least because if people widely believed pop music was bad it wouldn't be popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    Because I find referingo friend as a 'ex' silly, as if he as never made out, then there can have been no makeouts, which is a necessity for a real 'relationship' to begin. Without the makeout, it is just "something MIGHTA happened"-ship.
    I don't know a thing about the context of this but make-outs are not a necessity for a relationship to be considered 'real'. It's all about the emotions, man.

My nephew has been trying to get me to play League of Legends with him. I'm close to giving in. Is the learning curve as steep as I fear?
    No, it is terrible and will destroy your life!
    (Disclaimer: I have never played LoL and therefore have little basis for my opinion)
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

10. - Top - End - #1480

Nice, I guess. For as long as you're happy, I'm happy. *thumbs up*
    I'm happy. My throat is sore though, cough cough.

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Titan in the Playground

Kneen, I found another glögg recipe you might want to try. This one is a bit more flashy:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • 0,75 l red wine
    • 1 pc cinnamon stick
    • 1 pc ginger
    • 1 pc bitter orange
    • 5 pc clove
    • 2 tsp cardamom
    • 400 g sugar lumps
    • 0,35 l schnapps or vodka
    • raisins (once again to serve with the drink)
    • almonds (preferably scalded) (-||-)

Heat the wine and the seasoning in a pot. Put a lattice (for example the rack from an oven) halfway over the pot, and put the sugar lumps on top of it over the wine. Add the vodka, and heat (probably until it almost boils).

Take a match and set fire to the drink. Then scoop up the burning liquid and pour it over the sugar so that it melts down into the pot. Finally, put a lid on the pot so that the fire is extinguished. Test if the drink is sweet enough, if not, put back the lattice with more sugar on it and set fire to the drink again, repeating this proceedure until you're satisfied.

You can store the finished glögg in the refrigerator to heat and serve with almonds and raisins at a later time.

Show

12. - Top - End - #1482
    Troll in the Playground

So... who beith new threading, guys?
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Ettin in the Playground

I suppose I ought to do it.

Please hold for new thread.

Here we go!

EditEdit: hehehe.... wrong URL.
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2012-11-28 at 09:50 PM.
    A few odds and ends.