New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feral Visitor

1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Feral Visitor

Personally I've always had pretty darn good cats. The only ones that haven't been good started out good and then went crazy as a result of ********* with airsoft or bb guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

@BHU

Okay, my fiance is a vet. The following is not medical advice, but a recommendation that you seek some professional contact with a vet and soon. Under a spoiler cut
    Spoiler
    Show

She's had plenty of people try to adopt feral cats only to get shafted, both financially and emotionally. They want to do the right thing and help an animal only to discover that it didn't get it's proper vaccinations, and end up paying a hefty vet bill when the animal comes down with something like parvo or distemper or worse.

My immediate advice, if you haven't already, is take the animal to vet as soon as you reasonably can. A checkup and vaccination round now can cost you signifigantly less than if you discover the animal has a health problem later.
    Especially when it comes to teeth.
    Shop around if you don't like the price of the vacs, or check into local municipal programs, or check with local shelters, as there are usually cheaper options than the vet.

Beyond that, I'm going to recommend looking into a product called feel-away. It's a feline pheromone, it plugs in like an air freshener, you won't smell it, but it basically well help set the kitty at ease in your home. It tends to work on feral cats extremely well. Rescue houses and foster homes typically use it as well.

Lastly, microchip or collar/tag your new friend. If the kitty was feral before, it may try to escape some time soon again, without an identification chip or tag that could end poorly.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    @BHU

Okay, my fiance is a vet. The following is not medical advice, but a recommendation that you seek some professional contact with a vet and soon. Under a spoiler cut
    Spoiler
    Show

She's had plenty of people try to adopt feral cats only to get shafted, both financially and emotionally. They want to do the right thing and help an animal only to discover that it didn't get it's proper vaccinations, and end up paying a hefty vet bill when the animal comes down with something like parvo or distemper or worse.

My immediate advice, if you haven't already, is take the animal to vet as soon as you reasonably can. A checkup and vaccination round now can cost you signifigantly less than if you discover the animal has a health problem later.
    Especially when it comes to teeth.
    Shop around if you don't like the price of the vacs, or check into local municipal programs, or check with local shelters, as there are usually cheaper options than the vet.

Beyond that, I'm going to recommend looking into a product called feel-away. It's a feline pheromone, it plugs in like an air freshener, you won't smell it, but it basically well help set the kitty at ease in your home. It tends to work on feral cats extremely well. Rescue houses and foster homes typically use it as well.

Lastly, microchip or collar/tag your new friend. If the kitty was feral before, it may try to escape some time soon again, without an identification chip or tag that could end poorly.
    I think you mean Feli-Way.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    I think you mean Feli-Way.
    Yes, that's the stuff.
    See, that is exactly why I was recommending visiting a vet.
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

I think he has hairballs. He hacks a lot.
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    That'd be normal for this time of year. Cats ingest a lot of the hair that they're shedding as their summer/winter coat is exchanged for the winter/summer coat.

I think hairball treatments are available otc. I should probably look into that before spot starts hacking away.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Well mom has changed her mind since kitty nipped her and she found him chewing cords when he was in play mode.

Nice of her to do so right as winter is coming in and the cat shelters are full...

I'm gonna go rant somewhere i can cuss...
    Last edited by Bhu; 2012-11-15 at 01:51 PM.
    Orcs and Goblins

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Apparently she is now willing to let him back in. However she balks at the 200+ dollar cost for shots, checkup, and neutering.
    Orcs and Goblins

9. - Top - End - #39

Apparently she is now willing to let him back in. However she balks at the 200+ dollar cost for shots, checkup, and neutering.

200-300 is pretty reasonable for those things. Shop around, you can probably find cheaper. I know a clinic in town here that does all that for 120. Municipal programs and shelters usually run shots + neuter for 150, with a microchip either free or another 30 bucks on top.
    Pssst-The chip is way better than the tattoo.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

He almost certainly has roundworms, which may also cause hacking.

Ask the vet to give him de-worming stuff, because if you try to do it yourself blood will flow. And he may never forgive you. It is even better if the vet sedates him (which may be needed for the checkup anyway).
    Last edited by Asta Kask; 2012-11-23 at 12:14 PM.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    He almost certainly has roundworms, which may also cause hacking.

Ask the vet to give him de-worming stuff, because if you try to do it yourself blood will flow. And he may never forgive you. It is even better if the vet sedates him (which may be needed for the checkup anyway).
    Should he be sleeping on couch with mom then
    Orcs and Goblins

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

They shouldn't transfer, although worms aren't exactly cute.