New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Shadows of the Past 3

Chapter III

Spoiled Rotten

Myriam walks down the halls of a dimly lit castle. The tapestries are old and depict a old heroes of war in saintly garb. The dryad stops before two enormous oil paintings. One shows a young woman with black hair wearing an armor. She wields a great sword and looks at the viewer with stern eyes. The other painting shows a beautiful woman, very similar to the armored one, with long lustrous hair. She has a vivacious smile and carries an ermine in her arms. She is dressed in flowing crimson robes.

I'm so sorry...

Myriam walks further down the hall and stops as two guards check her for weapons, then allow her in.

In a grand, yet very dark hall, a man dressed in a black cape adorned with grey fur sits at the end of a long table. His plate has been nearly untouched. He pours a large goblet of wine before downing it whole. To his right, an elven noble with grey hair sips from his own.

"You really must eat, your grace. This will not please them when they return."

"Valtalis, how long have you been telling me this for? FIVE YEARS! I have followed your counsel for all this time. I have spent nearly all my treasury on your botched attempts at rescue and intelligence gathering, as you so aptly call it. Where is that scout?"

Valtalis turns his gaze to Myriam.

"By the gods, dear. You seem to have been summoned. Lord Brunhausser would like a report on your findings."

Myriam bows to both.

"They are in Hammerbruk, sire. I have confirmed they are in the valley. It would be safe to assume they still have their army with them. I have no news on your brother. I came here as quickly as possible.... your daughters will be here very soon."

Lord Vasili Brunhausser gets up from the table, tears in his eyes.

"Child, what you say is true?"

"....tis, sire."

"Excellent, then!", Valtalis interrupts. "We will need some more funding, just to make sure the rescue goes as planned. Do not bother sending in an army, your grace. Myriam should be able to find your daughters now with the intelligence we have acquired. If you'll excuse me?"

Valtalis bows and leads Myriam back into the hallway.

"You are truly have a rotten soul, you know that? You know those two are in the valley and can't come back. Why keep him on false hope?"

Valtalis smiles and places his finger on Myriam's mask, running it swiftly down it's wooden features.

"Research, my dear. We need to know the extent of his power. Also, the funding is a nice bonus. Now, I trust you left the note?"

"Yes, Valtalis. I have."

"Good! Now be a good girl and rendezvous with Spellbane and his merry friends in Hammerbruk once they get there. After that, report to me."

Myriam stands in place.

"What about my face, Valtalis?"

Valtalis turns to her before heading back inside.

"It's behind a mask. I wouldn't know, dear.", Valtalis smiles and leaves Myriam alone in the hallway.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Shadows of the Past 3

@Xander: Jacob seems relieved at the information being relayed.

"I will stay here and help those who are injured. Could you please bring her back?"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Because capturing someone more powerful than you is rather difficult. Maintaining it becomes impossible.

@Jacob
    "Well, it seemed to be what all the stylish leaders of giants are wearing these days. I tried to buy you some time, and I killed one of them."

"Dantie, they tried to trap me in a cage. I declined to be caught, so I fled. At which point I ran into Brandobras, who brought me back here."

"Xander, that is handy. I figured out what she is, by the way. As a side note, putting on that gauntlet was not a bad idea."

"Also... Carrying my fallen stuff will be... tricky. Does anyone have a bag handy?"
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Dantie listens to everything being told and rubbing his head says Seems like alot happened while I was out of it. But I think we should go get her. Do not want to have to have gone through all that for nothing after all. Dantie says looking at the destruction caused by the giants. Jacob when I return I shall help you heal everyone. As he says this he hands tarith his bag of holding. I will need this back before you leave. And I will need you to deliver a message if you could.
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2012-11-16 at 10:02 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

@The Party: You leave Swan's Rest and head for the Rose Garden. Even before going in, you see the whole place shines with her radiance. Inside laying asleep with her blonde hair caught between the roses and her sword held in her hand tightly, sleeps Arrallae. The baby battle briar has laid down at her side. She seems perfectly fine, if asleep.

6. - Top - End - #6

GreenSorcererElf

Before leaving, Tarith gathers his fallen stuff into the bag of holding.

"I might be able to deliver a message. Who to, and where are they?"

At the Garden.
    "Well, we should either try to wake her up, or carry her back to Swan's Rest."

@Arrallae: "Time to wake up."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: You try to wake up Arralle and she stirs among the bed or roses. The baby battle briar scatters into the flowers and disappears. Arrallae opens her eyes and sits up.

"Where...the Rose Garden. What happened? I don't remember much after this morning. Why am I here?"

8. - Top - End - #8

GreenSorcererElf

Tarith leans back, his hands placed confidently at his sides, leaning on something nearby as he answers.

"Oh, not much. You tried identifying the future, which did not end well, turning you into a gauntlet, which I put on to escape Nerine and some other fellow working with you, at which point the village was attacked by giants, who are dead now, so we decided to come and find you."

Nonchalance is apparently his middle name...
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-11-16 at 10:15 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

It will be to my church, tell them that they are allowed to send two people here. That she has agreed to let them. Thank you. Dantie says to Tarith as he goes and kneels by Arralle. We took your advice and had the seance. The village was attacked so Tarith got you to safety before joining the fight. Dantie says telling her the truth for the most part, just leaving out that she had to be stopped once again.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

To Jacob.
    Of course, we will return as soon as able.

At the Rose Garden.
    I believe that about catches you up to speed....did you experience something similar after your last seance, or do you not know then either?
    Characters currently playing

Spoiler
    Show

Shadows of the Past Xander Corillian Xander Sorcerer spells
    Shadows of Death Draken Korvick

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

@Xander: "It's a blur... I recall yesterday asking for the seance. Then this morning when we went downstairs. After that, nothing."

@Tarith: "Swan's Rest was attacked? This is my fault then. And you say I was turned into a gauntlet? But why?"

@Dantie: "Of course, Dantie. Now I believe that there should be people from the outside, good people, watching this place with us."

@Tha Party: "We must make haste. The villagers need us."

Arrallae glows with white light, encompassing everyone around her and when the light subsides. You find yourself in Swan's Rest. Arrallae is shocked at the devastation.

"Jacob! Is everyone ok?"

12. - Top - End - #12

GreenSorcererElf

"Not your fault. Never accept responsibility for the actions of others. If you do, you are letting them dictate what you do. As far as the whole gauntlet thing goes, well, you were a little... crazy at the time. It seemed to be a solution."

After the teleportation, Tarith looks around, surprised at how fast she moved.

"You know, if you could do that, why walk to the groves, and the lake?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: "I knew that Kazym had spoiled the land, tarith. I needed to walk through every inch of land and heal it. Travelling this way is a method I seldom use. I do enjoy long walks, don't you?"

14. - Top - End - #14

GreenSorcererElf

"Depends on what I am doing at the time. Generally, it is either the destination, or the people behind me that are more of a concern. I am not sure if I have ever gone on a walk just to go on a walk. It has always been one thing after another."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: Arrallae smiles. "You would be on the move constantly. Looking at you, I am reminded of someone. From long ago."

@The Party: Jacob kneels before Arrallae.

"My lady. I feared you were..."

"Thank you, old friend. I am fine. Please show me where the fallen are."

Jacob directs her to a few dozen dead villagers, squashed by the boulders or bashed in by the giants. Arrallae walks solemnly towards the bodies, laid among the giants. She raises her arms and bathes the entire village in radiant golden light. A few minutes later, both villagers and giants wake up. The giants seem confused as one looks at Arrallae.

"Leave now and NEVER come to this place again!"

The giants turn pale and run for it off into the forest.

16. - Top - End - #16

GreenSorcererElf

Tarith pulls out the thighbone.

"Anyone have any idea what to do with this? I found it on one of the giants."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: Jacob inspects that. "It's human. Probably one of those pilgrims that came from the city. You think something could be done, Arrallae?"

"It is a marrow, more than enough."

Arrallae touches the bone and this one drops from your hand as muscle begins to grow around it, as well as tissue and ligaments. Followed by flesh and hair. A young man lies nude in the ground. He looks up around and covers himself. Arrallae blushes and turns around, giggling.

"Uhhh... where am I?"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

It shall only be two, but at least with their power they should be able to help you with the healing so that you do not use to much of your energy. And they can train others so that if the seal were to ever break again once we make it whole once more that you do not suffer such damage. As he is finished speaking he feels a gentle light wash over them and soon enough they are once again in swans rest. Such power. It is a wounder the seal held you inside. Dantie comments. Before going with her to tend to the villagers. Do not worry about the damage, it can all be fixed tomorrow. I have spells that can help with this. Danties says to her and her village. Xander, if you could start studying that seal it may help us make a new one. Dantie says with a kind smile.

As the man is made anew Dantie looks up to the sky. By Pelors hand. then to the man. It seems you made it to swans rest, that was your destination was it not?
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2012-11-16 at 11:10 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

GreenSorcererElf

"You are naked in a village. How did you meet the giants? and what is your name?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: The nude man covers his privates as best as he can.

"I'm Collin. I came with a group from Bludhaven, but our group was ambushed by a creature in white robes. I ran for it. Ran for days. then some woman popped up from nowhere and I went blind. After that, I was being...eaten."

21. - Top - End - #21

GreenSorcererElf

"You were a pilgrim?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: "Yes, sir! We were on a pilgrimage to see..."

Collin's jaw drops as he looks at Arrallae. He forgets his nude condition and kneels before her, attempting to kiss her feet.

Arrallae swiftly steps back. "You're welcome to stay Collin, but please, no need to be so zealous. Could someone please give Collin clothing?"

Arrallae retires with Jacob to assess her broken temple.

Collin looks on as the goddess walks away with a big smile in his face.

"She's beautiful..."

23. - Top - End - #23

GreenSorcererElf

"And you are naked. For some reason, the two don't get along as well as you might think."

Tarith pauses for a moment, before continuing

"Say, you are from Bludhaven, right? I may be headed there soon, so could you tell me about it?"
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: "Yes, sir! Born and raised. I come from a family of artisans that work on hull buildings for ships. The city is big. Bigger than Justcrown. You could find a good vessel there if you're planning a voyage."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Dantie I had already begun studying the ritual, while you were running your errand in Justcrown. As for the seal, the surrounding wall will first need to be repaired before it will be of much good, but that was my next stop...I am still not completely sold on using it however.

To Collin
    This may sound abrupt however would you allow me a moment to record your experience in further detail, while it is still fresh in your mind, as your average person would not regularly experience what you just had.
    Characters currently playing

Spoiler
    Show

Shadows of the Past Xander Corillian Xander Sorcerer spells
    Shadows of Death Draken Korvick

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Dantie looks between Tarith and Arrallae and back once again. Tarith can you handle this and deliver that message? Dantie says hoping he can talk to Jacob and Arrallae alone. He is very curious as to what happened. And to explain that she can not try such a thing again. When he hears Xander tell him he has already begun Dantie is most happy. That is good. As for the walls I can fix them, though it may take me quite some time. Dantie says before he hears Xander say he does not think sealing the place is a good idea. If we do not seal it Xander they will come again, this time with a larger army and they will be prepared for the defenses. They will get her. And if you remember what she said and what she is... Dantie says hoping he catches on Then you would agree that she needs to be protected by the seal. Though I agree it does need to be altered. Perhaps to be allowed to be opened and closed by those inside. Maybe we can ask Jacob if he would be willing to work this control panel so that she may visit her friends in the woods still, and yet be safe from harm.
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2012-11-16 at 11:38 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

GreenSorcererElf

So, it is a coastal city, and large. I suspect that this will be a bit... more difficult than I was lead to believe.

"Can you tell me about prominent figures, buildings, and things like that? Or anything about the disappearance of the Duke's children?"

@Dantie
    "I can ask him questions, and then deliver your message."

@Jacob
    "By the way, I believe you owe me some money?"
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-11-16 at 11:34 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The duke's daughters, if you're referring to them, are in Furyondy, which is not the city he's from.

"Bludhaven is a theocracy, sir! Mother Kamyra and Father Friederick are the religious law there. As for prominent figures, well. There's Krell's Blades, a mercenary group that operates there and hires their men for sea voyages. The Free City has an armada anchored in the city as well. What with all those ships disappearing and all."

"Right." Jacob produces the platinum and hands it to you.

"Never bet against a rogue, mom used to say."
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2012-11-16 at 11:40 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

GreenSorcererElf

Spoiler
    Show

Right. Got the two mixed up a bit.

"What religion do the follow? And what is this about ships disappearing?"

"Jacob, the bet was 10 platinum, not one. Still, I suppose it was a friendly enough wager, so if you wish, you could decline to pay. Your mother gave you good advice. Typically, if a rogue is betting, he has fixed it... somehow."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Thank you Tarith. And with that Dantie runs off in pursuit of Jacob and Arrallae. Once he is with the two of them at her temple Dantie looks at them. The damage done here I can fix with ease. My problem is the seal. If it were to break again I do not think they would allow you a second chance. And if it were to fall we would need a fail safe in place. Jacob though your training was grand of these men and women, I believe magic will be needed to further their ability to protect themselves and others. I will be able to help in small ways with changing the seal, but I do not think she should be locked up in here once more. Dantie says looking to Arrallae. Ask her what happened to the forest and her friends, your friends when you were gone all this time in your peace. I will suggest to Xander to try and make a way to control the gate without breaking the seal. If we can do this I must ask for you to be the gates keeper. Only you will be able to open it from the inside for her and protect those who live in these walls. Can you do this? Dantie asks Jacob.