New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default Feather Fall (alternatives)

Hello!

I need some help - the party is supposed to "descend" into a ravine, a gulch, a canyon of sorts. It's actually a hidden (druidic) grove situated in a mountain chain. They don't know the secret way in, so they plan on - falling from above. They have a wizard friend who can cast Feather Fall on one of them, and that one plans on bringing another PC along (it's a human child, he's a warlock, 9 years old, pretty messed up). Also, the wizard wanted to make a long rest and recast the spell again on another party member.

But now there is yet another member who should go, and they can't wait for each others, separated for two days, for a number of reasons.

So, (TL, DR) how can someone fall from really high and land without problems if he doesn't have Feather Fall and is level 10 (Warlock, Rogue, Paladin, Cleric)? Thanks!
    Last edited by Mandrake; 2012-11-10 at 07:29 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Feather Fall (alternatives)

If you have an airship, you could fit it with an Window of Escape (IL2 lair item)... but if you had an airship you could just fly there.

Poking the compendium for the word 'fall' gives an easy answer: Elixir of Levitation (IL8 consumable). It gives you a limited flying ability for 1 encounter/up to 5 minutes, which includes not taking falling damage.

edit: Elixir of Flying (IL11 consumable) just plain gives you a fly speed for a time.
    Last edited by Badgerish; 2012-11-10 at 07:46 AM.
    Always kill your enemies, otherwise they will come back to haunt you - anon
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    No one will ever be able to question your sense of style when you explain that you cut your own hair with your boot knife. Mainly because if they do, you have a knife in your boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveD
    "A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most ****ed up game show. Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH! Behind door number 2: A magic crown! Behind door number 3: ten pounds of sugar being guarded by six giant KILLER BEES!"
    noface

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

A good ol' rope will do. Have them climb their way down. It's more fun this way since they will have to earn their way in the grove.
    Awesome avatar created by Ceika!!!! Thank you.

In D&D 3.5 I am a
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Good Human Druid/Sorcerer (1st/1st Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 10
    Dexterity- 10
    Constitution- 11
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 16
    Charisma- 13

In D&D 4e I am a Chaotic Good Eladrin Bladesinger. Yep, simple as that. No test, at all. I just am.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Thanks, Badgerish, and to you, Silma, as well. I decided against "the good ol' rope", since the thing should be really, really hard to access, the weather is awful and it's quite risky. Again, they could do that, but if they do, it won't be easy. So, searching for alternatives. :)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Plan 1: Tha old "Cleric's Feather Fall".

Step 1: Paladin jumps off the cliff.
    Step 2: Cleric, carrying Warlock, feather falls down the cliff.
    Step 3: Cleric uses Raise Dead on Paladin. Meanwhile, Wizard takes an extended rest.
    Step 4: Wizard feather falls down the cliff.

That's everybody down and active in under 9 hours.

Also, depending on how high the cliff is, there's a chance the paladin could survive the fall(not a good chance, but still). The party can hit him with as many temporary hit points as they can muster and hope for a low damage roll.

Plan 2: Bigby's Icy Mage Hand.

Step 1: Wizard casts Resistance on Cleric, selecting cold damage.
    Step 2: Wizard casts Bigby's Icy Grasp on Cleric.
    Step 3: Wizard moves Cleric down the cliff at 120 feet per round. Sustain damage from Grasp cannot overcome the resistance.
    Step 4: With Cleric safely down, the rest of the party may proceed with the original plan.

This one is not clearly rules-legal, but is hilarious. Some other source of resistance to cold could be used on the cleric. If the resistance isn't high enough, the paladin utility Divine Bodyguard can cut any damage taken in half.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Although I don't think we could do it (based on power selection), your suggestions are awesome Nater. :D

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Well, you could upend a decanter of endless water into the canyon and hope that it'll create a large enough "pool" on the bottom to cushion the fall. Maybe get a kiddie pool, fill it up, and drop it? WARNING DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.

Or you could wait a billion short rests and just fill the canyon. Then you won't need to worry about falling damage!
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    Well, you could upend a decanter of endless water into the canyon and hope that it'll create a large enough "pool" on the bottom to cushion the fall. Maybe get a kiddie pool, fill it up, and drop it? WARNING DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.

Or you could wait a billion short rests and just fill the canyon. Then you won't need to worry about falling damage!
    I like to see divergent thinking and enthusiasm in 4e

BUT

this might drown the quest

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Well, yeah, that's kind of the point.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Drowning: for when you can't get close enough for burning.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

You could always pull a Red Mage!

I don't have the comic at hand but...

Step 1: Get the PC's a cannon or giant sling shot (think ACME)

Step 2: Hand the pc a few healing potions

Step 3: Shoot said PC in the canyon at an arch, said pc let's go of the healing potions at the apex of the flight.

Step 4: PC hits the ground and goes into negatives just as the healing potion hits his body (bringing him up to 0 then adding more hp). After 3 or 4 the PC should be fine.

Step 5: Explain why you don't really need to drink the potions.

Gotta love 8 Bit Theater ....

12. - Top - End - #12

RedKnightGirl

10th level wizard?

reduce spell, see how many small creatures can be stopped with feather fall.

Plus the wizard has to jump since you can only cast feather fall in a very close area to the wizard not three hundred feet away and wait.

Translation Wizard goes with first group.

fly or teleport or maybe even dimention door
    Last edited by denthor; 2012-11-11 at 03:17 PM.
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, after checking to see if this has been corrected in errata, I have a new idea. Don't think about this too much. And have a helmet ready for the DMGs that will be thrown at you.

Phantom Steed, Level 6 Ritual. Either you can hit an Arcana of 40 to get natural flying steeds, or find some way to make them fly (elixirs mentioned above, readied actions with a Pixie's help, whatever). Ride your flying steed out into the ravine, then bop the steed on its head. Since the steed disappeared while flying, its rider will descend safely to the ground, landing at the start of its next turn.

Unfortunately, that's a ritual, and nobody uses rituals.
    ---

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Why not just have the PC's get some cloth and base jump in.
    It works in books/movies, so why not DnD?
    For added fun have the party get a big enuff sheet and they all hang on to the sides and jump as one.
    If the weight to cloth size is semi-equle, the worse the party would get would be minor damage, broken leg/legs max.
    Love each other, Respect all life, and Don't run with your spears.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

First of all, all is over, potions were used.

Quote Originally Posted by denthor View Post
    Plus the wizard has to jump since you can only cast feather fall in a very close area to the wizard not three hundred feet away and wait.
    I am not sure about this, however. If they are standing on a cliff and one jumps, and the Wizard has prepared for it, he can cast the spell on the target. The ally "falls" as soon as he "starts to fall", that is my read. And at the end, he takes no damage or goes prone. I guess.

16. - Top - End - #16

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Mandrake View Post
    First of all, all is over, potions were used.

I am not sure about this, however. If they are standing on a cliff and one jumps, and the Wizard has prepared for it, he can cast the spell on the target. The ally "falls" as soon as he "starts to fall", that is my read. And at the end, he takes no damage or goes prone. I guess.

In past versions of feather fall you could arrest movement for multiple target. The wizard could cast at distance but that distance was short range. Not sure about 4.0. In Pathfinder you can stop 3 medium size creatures at 4th level and more at higer levels.
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

In 4ed, The Wizard spell is just 1 target. The "Ring of Feather Falling" can share the effect over a group of people, but overly expensive.
    Always kill your enemies, otherwise they will come back to haunt you - anon
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    No one will ever be able to question your sense of style when you explain that you cut your own hair with your boot knife. Mainly because if they do, you have a knife in your boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveD
    "A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most ****ed up game show. Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH! Behind door number 2: A magic crown! Behind door number 3: ten pounds of sugar being guarded by six giant KILLER BEES!"
    noface