New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Misfits Company (IC)

The Sharn evening has been rent by a torrential downpour for hours. Every inch of the city is wet and slick, and clear vision is all but impossible. Even the captain of the Blood of the Wind, the airship all but reserved for use of Boranel's agents when he has need of them somewhere beyond the city, had struggled returning to the docks of the city.

It is a horrid night, and one befitting Traveler's Night, the night when monsters are said to wear the face of innocents and seek refuge from the cold, only to feast on those foolish enough to let them inside. Tradition has evolved that a gift is to be given to any creature who comes to the door, but never to invite them in.

Nothing but a monster would be walking the streets tonight.

That, and the Misfits Company. There is no real name to this group, and there are perhaps half a dozen creatures outside of King Boranel himself who know of its existence. Thirteen creatures bound to the service of the crown, agents that act where even the Dark Lanterns cannot. Most of the rest of the Company act alone in deep cover in other countries, but this group has been bound together by a surprising effectiveness, one respected by the Company's Handler, Alcoransys.

The Company has just returned from a mission deep within Valenar, hoping to find evidence of the Shadow Houses latest plots. Nothing had come to light, so it is with the resigned feeling of failure that the group disembarks from the airship. The half-elves of the Blood of the Wind are sealing the ship against the continued rain, the captain, Braeilyn, watching with a practiced eye.

The first order of business will be a debriefing at the Highest Towers, as soon as the group disembarks and gets moving.
    Drew

This is for everyone who squints hard at stuff in the hope they'll spontaneously develop telekinesis.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Misfits Company (IC)

Clyde

As the group makes its way down the gangplank off the ship, the tiny silver dragon fades into invisibility and gives its wings a lazy flap. Clyde finds a comfortable-looking Misfit and drapes itself over the other's shoulders like a limp rag.
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

Huge thanks to Howl for puting some Boomstick in my avatar

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Fraan floated along the ground with the group. If he could walk, one could tell how dejected the poor soul was. However, Fraan floated and only recently discerned how useful it would be to look like he was walking. If one wanted to tell how depressed the teen was, with relative ease, they could tell by looking at his face. Unfortunately they would also see the fact that the person in question was transparent. Fortunately, the hooded cloak Fraan was wearing hid the transparency of his being and just about everything else.

Regarding the failure of his mission, Fraan had failed to uncover any truths about the Shadow House's plot. As he thought about the problems he encountered, he came to realize that many of them could have been helped by a bluff or his telekinetic abilities.

The manifestation continued floating with the group at the proper elevation that seemed normal. The cloak just touched the ground with little drag occurring upon it. This placed the depressed soul's height at about six feet. Its what he had adjusted to, always trying to get the cloak to where it almost dragged upon the ground. Fraan took a mental note for when he got back to his private quarters he would be certain to have a servant bring in a large mirror so that he could practice looking as if he was walking.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Reuel walked in long elegant steps, almost dancing, humming between himself, his inhuman grace all but screaming his nature, despite the long clock and hood he wore for the sake of apparences, we cannot have people pointing and screaming at the mean faerie come to snatch their children from the cradles, ha, he hasn't done that in decades.
    "Gloom glooomy gloomy, gloo gloo gllooomy" he felt the humor around, dripping like the rain, no place for summer there, were they feeling bad fot the failure, wait, what was the mission again... not that it matters, yet somehow it does, fascinating the group he was dealing with.
    After years of disintoxication I'm back in the D&D tunnel

"I don’t understand God. I don’t understand how He could see the way people treat one another, and not chalk up the whole human race as a bad idea. I guess He’s just bigger about it than I would be."
    Jim Butcher-Dresden Files, book 3

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Looking at Reuel, Fraan noted the supernatural grace of his walk and decided to study it, wanting to mimic the grace. He felt almost jealous of Reuel and his blessing of allure. But that wouldn't stop Fraan from assisting Reuel in his times of need. However it would definitely influence how the teen wanted look when he 'walked'.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Measured. Even. Orderly. Garamn walked in the same way he thought. His arms swung like pendulums at his side, unerring and unvarying in their motion despite the weight of of the battlefist on one side. His walk unflinching despite the lashing rain. There was no need for a theatrical reaction, after all. Such mechanical order was almost the entire essence of his being, truth be told. "I think, therefore I am" interpreted quite literally. And he was doing quite a bit of thinking right now.

Mission now classified as failure.
    Probability of further leads being presented: undefined.
    Recommendation: review gathered information for the possibility of secondary leads.
    Will present this option at the debriefing if desired.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot check:
    (1d20+4)[9]
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Mage-King;
    Hydrogen Dioxide! It kills more people than ANYTHING ELSE! Billions are CHRONICALLY ADDICTED to it!

INCLUDING BABIES! THINK OF THE BABIES!
    Currently not doing any Let's Plays or AARs or anything, on account of being a lazy git. I'll get around to it eventually. Really.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Rain is like darkness to the sight of a cat, makes the world a boring place indeed...
    He stopped midstep... the hood inclined slightly and he gazed intently in the rainy night...
    His hummings grew louder, and with merry voice he intoned a verse...
    "I spy with my little eye...
    are we not alone under the weeping sky..."

He resumed the walking, was it someone he knew? "Silly child, not that good playing hide and seek"

"I don’t understand God. I don’t understand how He could see the way people treat one another, and not chalk up the whole human race as a bad idea. I guess He’s just bigger about it than I would be."

8. - Top - End - #8

AssassinGuy

It seems like there might be someone or something perched on a bridge between the two nearest towers. There is no clear movement or any indication that any such thing, if it is really there, is paying any attention to this group.

To get a clearer picture, someone would need to move closer to whatever it is.
    Drew

This is for everyone who squints hard at stuff in the hope they'll spontaneously develop telekinesis.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Gliding forward, Fraan tried to discern what it was but he cant see through rain. So, moving closer, the teen tries to focus past the rain to get a greater view.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving 80 feet forward and doing a better spot check. (1d20)[7]
    Last edited by Magnera; 2012-11-15 at 01:03 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Clyde

Noticing Fraan's interest, Clyde decides to assist in the investigation. A short series of teleportations take the tiny dragon to within a stone's throw of their observer.

His mind reaches out to the stranger, Nice weather we're having.

Spoiler
    Show
    Flee the scene til he's about 20 feet or so from whoever's watching them, still invisible. Preferably behind or to the side of whoever it is, since a dry spot in the air might be a bit obvious right in front of their face
    Last edited by Medic!; 2012-11-16 at 02:37 PM.
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

11. - Top - End - #11

AssassinGuy

@Clyde
    Spoiler
    Show

When you are about 40 feet away, the creature snaps its head up, tilting its head as if listening. When you draw closer, it takes a moment for the thing to re-orient, but you strongly suspect it has a good idea where you might be.

When you focus to actually reach out to it, you see two things.

First, it is not remotely humanoid - it looks much like a human-sized lizard - not human-shaped, like a lizardman, but like a large, fanged and clawed predator. It seems to be wearing light armor covered in spikes.

But what next hits you is what the creature is standing over. A human corpse, mangled and torn to pieces, rests on the bridge, blood already washed away by the rain. The creature seemed to be digging at the body, as if looking for something.

(1d20+2)[5]

Roll initiative to determine where you act in the surprise round
    Drew

12. - Top - End - #12

Clyde

Clyde shoots a message back to the Misfits, relaying what he sees. The tiny dragon's point of view changes in a heartbeat, as he suddenly finds himself looking down on the grisly scene from several stories up in the air, directly over his previous position.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative - (1d20+6)[8] Standard action to Flee the Scene 45ft straight up.

13. - Top - End - #13

It wouldn't be correct to say that the warforged straightened up, given that he was already standing at his full height, but he certainly gave the impression as he shot a glance in the direction of the Company's local dragon.

Are we under attack?

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative:
    (1d20+5)[14]
    Hydrogen Dioxide! It kills more people than ANYTHING ELSE! Billions are CHRONICALLY ADDICTED to it!

Currently not doing any Let's Plays or AARs or anything, on account of being a lazy git. I'll get around to it eventually. Really.

14. - Top - End - #14

AssassinGuy

Finding itself alone, the creature digs at the corpse, more frantically than before.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20-3)[-2]

Everyone can roll their initiative - anything over 3 acts before the very poorly-rolling velociraptor.
    Last edited by appending_doom; 2012-11-17 at 10:17 AM.
    Drew

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+1)[21] Initiative
    EDIT: YES! Natural twenty!
    Last edited by Magnera; 2012-11-17 at 01:20 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Clyde

Not at the moment that I can see, but once this thing is finished mutilating the corpse I assume it just made, someone surely could be next.

The dragon gathers his thoughts a moment, then swoops down on the urban velociraptor, hoping to subdue it before the corpse is unrecognizable. At the moment his tail snakes out, a 20ft radius of light errupts around Clyde like a becon.

Spoiler
    Show
    Clyde's post-surprise-round action, use fly-by attack to fly in, poke the velociraptor, then fly as far straight up as he can with the movement he has left for the round (60ft fly speed) The attack breaks his invisibility, and as a free action, he activates his Protective Aura (20ft bright light, magic circle vs evil for any allies in range with +4 deflection AC vs evil and +4 save vs evil spells/things. Also a 20ft Lesser Globe of Invulnerability (new 3rd level and below spells/effects are suppressed in the 20ft)

Attack - (1d20+17)[35] (counting the +2 for invisibility)
    Piercing Damage - (1d1)[1]
    Skirmish Damage - (1d6)[2]

Holy Damage if evil - (1d6)[2]
    or
    Holy Damage if undead or evil outsider instead - (1d8)[4]

And if the attack hits, Fortitude save DC 27 vs poison (sleep 1 min // sleep 1d3 hours)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

"Unwise..unwise... I don't like to exercise so late, it's rude."

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+4)[16]
    How far are we from the enemy?

18. - Top - End - #18

AssassinGuy

The raptor's head snaps up just before the dragon strikes it; it seems capable of countering some of the benefits of the dragon's invisibility.

The dragon still catches the creature in the side of its head; it snarls as it is wounded.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+10)[14] (1d6)[6] (1d6)[2]

With a howl, the creature slumps sideways next to the corpse.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by appending_doom; 2012-11-18 at 07:27 AM.
    Drew

19. - Top - End - #19

Entity classed as hostile. Preparing to engage.

Light flares from the psiforged, spreading in every direction along with a disembodied sense of touch. Some people might mistake it for a lightning strike-before it started running across the tower, anyway. Not that anyone would notice. After all, nothing but a monster would be out this night, and they would notice a spiked fist in their face much more readily than some pretty lights.

Spoiler
    Show
    Manifesting Touchsight, then moving diagonally towards the blue area at full speed. I assume that's a wall?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Seeing his draconic companion attack this foe, Fraan prepares for battle by casting two of his favorite spells and gliding forward as much as he can while still reasonably casting. In moments he would be ready to tan some hide!

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Shield(standard) and Sadism(swift) then move as close as i can as close to the opponent as possible.

Are we able to chat about strategies we could use on the OOC? Because i think a very common one would be the use of baleful transportation with Clyde and Fraan so that he can close in on the action sooner. If that's the case I am going to travel upwards and forwards so that I can get closer to Clyde, which hopefully has moved to the other side of the velocoraptor, and next turn use it to tactically flank our opponent. After that, ill charge and maybe wipe it out
    Last edited by Magnera; 2012-11-18 at 11:34 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Clyde

Clyde's mind reaches out to his companions, Not sure that's completely necessary, friends. An image follows the words of the dainty dino sound asleep. Although there's a chance he could wake in a minute or so. An apologetic mental shrug accompanies the last message.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

"Oh? Is that so, want me to see what I can do to pin it to the ground just in case it wakes up?" Spoke Fraan, actually it was closer to a shout so he could be heard over the rain but it sounded more like him simply speaking than a shout. "You had me use two spells of the day over this thing? Impressive. What is this creature anyway?"
    Last edited by Magnera; 2012-11-19 at 01:34 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Clyde

The tiny dragon fades into invisibility once more, and with a lazy flap of his wings it lights itself onto the velociraptor, perched like a house-cat. No clue, really...perhaps we should alert the authorities to the creature and the mutilated unfortunate underneath it?
    Last edited by Medic!; 2012-11-19 at 01:51 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

"Clyde, do you not mind if you get rained upon? It's practically a torental downpour out here!" Inquired Fraan as he contemplated the rain for a moment.
    During his contemplation, Fraan, drew his scimitar and walked on over to the creatures position.
    Do I mind the rain? Thought the manifestation as he brought his finger out from under the cloak. The rain passed through it until Frann mentaly felt the rain along his finger. At first it was just his thoughts, but then it became reality as the rain landed upon his fingers and he felt the cold of the rain upon his skin. Enjoying the sensation he stretched his arm out and felt the whole of his arm being covered in the joyous sensation of rain. "Mind over matter eh'?"
    Last edited by Magnera; 2012-11-19 at 02:53 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

AssassinGuy

As the discussion moves on, the lizard twitches and lunges to its feet with a snarl.

The group can hear vague shouts in the middle distance; it's possible the original attack, or at least the howl a few moments ago, caught attention.

@all
    Spoiler
    Show

Anyone who was reasonably within arm's reach gets an AoO when the creature stands from prone
    Drew

26. - Top - End - #26

Clyde

Rain is a beautiful thing, why would it bother OH! The creature's awakening startles the tiny dragon, as it is dumped onto the cobblestones.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fore-going the AoO....Clyde had a decent reason to put it to sleep in the first place, since it was eating remains that should be identified, but now that that is stopped, and the party's here...

Also forgot I ahd ranks in Knowledge Arcana - (1d20+10)[12]

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Reuel joined the commotion in the middle of the bridge, he bended a little to give a look at the... thingie... then jerked back sniffing disgusted.
    "This sound smelly... "

Spoiler
    Show
    Draw the rapier and the runestaff from the bag, moving at the center of the bridge (R9 if free)

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming you let the one minute pass and let me move to the beast and ready an action to attack it when it moves count the second attack otherwise just count the first.
    1: Hit(touch)(1d20+10)[18] Strength(1d4)[1]
    2: Hit(touch)(1d20+10)[16] Strength(1d4)[2]
    Last edited by Magnera; 2012-11-19 at 10:54 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

AssassinGuy

The creature stumbles for a moment at the ghost's touch, but without further action hurls itself off of the south edge of the bridge, launching itself towards the side of the tower.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+34)[41]

It scrabbles at the bricks and stone of the tower's edge and scrambles down and around the far side, moving with incredible speed along the surface. Further attempts to attack it could cause it to lose its footing and die (or, given that what is below Sharn is more Sharn, seriously injure someone else). You could try to follow it, or try to discover something useful about its victim, hopefully before the police arrive.

@Background
    Spoiler
    Show

You are forbidden to reveal your connection to the Brelish crown, as you act outside the normal legal hierarchy. However, you have had run-ins with the Sharn law in the past. With your tendency to deal with unusual problems, you have frequently ended up on the watch's radar in connection with some grisly or unusual crimes. You have consistently proven helpful overall, but you are not a welcome sight to any watchman, and a target of low-level suspicion.

(In a mechanical sense, you qualify as "known, with slightly negative associations" with respect to the Giant's Diplomacy rules. Think how the cops view Shawn Spencer or Jessica Fletcher)

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+16)[31]
    Drew

30. - Top - End - #30

High Speed Clyde

Clyde, still invisible, begins a series of blinks and wing-flaps, following after the creature, lest it harm someone else. To his companions, I'll follow this one, and if it seems necessary, put it down. Try not to get arrested again, yes?