1. Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default [PF] Malevolence vs Mage Armor

GM and I had an argument about this. I think my logic on the situation is sound, but he refuses to listen to me so I now come to you guys for any assistance on the matter. I fully admit the possibility of me being wrong, but the fact that he won't even listen is what really pushes me to prove it either way. So here's what I'm looking at.

Malevolence from a Ghost. "...the ghost can merge its body with a creature...". Now, this is really straight forward. Ghost physically enters the body of the target.

Next, Mage Armor. "...tangible field of force surrounds the subject...". That's great and all, but obviously by itself doesn't mean much. The next bit is interesting, though. "Since mage armor is made of force, incorporeal creatures can't bypass it the way they do normal armor."

Incorporeal creatures treat force based effects exactly as they would a physical thing. So how is the ghost getting through a fully encompassing field of force energy in order to merge with that mage? Any references or ideas on this would be appreciated.

2. Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [PF] Malevolence vs Mage Armor

How do you think they can still hit you with Corrupting Touch ?
    You have armor, not total cover. Either there are holes in it, or it's not invincible force and can be pushed through.
    Last edited by Ranos; 2012-11-11 at 12:26 AM.

3. Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [PF] Malevolence vs Mage Armor

Mage Armor does not prevent incorporeal creatures from ever touching you. If it did, then logically the spell would make you immune to incorporeal touch attacks; this is not the case. Instead, it merely grants a bonus to AC, making it harder but not impossible to touch you. Maybe it doesn't cover your whole body, or maybe a powerful enough blow (i.e. a good attack roll) just pushes through it. Whatever. The spell description is vague, so you can make up your own explanation for why it works like that.

If Malevolence requires a touch attack (can't remember at the moment), then of course Mage Armor's bonus should apply against that. Otherwise... a DM would be within his rights to decide that Mage Armor grants some kind of advantage in this situation, and I don't think you're out of line for asking about it. But he isn't required to, so I wouldn't press the point if he's already said no.