New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Wreck-It-Ralph. Need a system idea.

So I seen the movie, I want to run a game where the players are obviously in a video game world and can play characters form games or from games they make. Would any systems in particular be well suited to this?
    They say hope begins in the dark, but most just flail around in the blackness...searching for their destiny. The darkness... for me... is where I shine. - Riddick

Exile

Deny a monochrome future!!! -Radio Gosha-

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Wreck-It-Ralph. Need a system idea.

GURPS, I hear, is very good at capturing all sorts of different characters. And by all sorts, I mean if you can define what traits you want a character to have, you can build that character. Period.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Risus would do admirably, and I hear really good things about Primetime Adventures.

I would caution against GURPS (though I haven't seen the movie), because I suspect that WIR runs on "cartoon physics", and I doubt that GURPS covers that. It tends to be a system rooted in realism or at least cinematic realism.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    I would caution against GURPS (though I haven't seen the movie), because I suspect that WIR runs on "cartoon physics", and I doubt that GURPS covers that. It tends to be a system rooted in realism or at least cinematic realism.
    Take a look at Mutants and Masterminds; same sort of flexibility as GURPS, but designed with super heroes in mind, so running much more loose with physics and stuff. Ralph breaking from the BBEG's hold at the end was totally a hero point, by the way.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

5. - Top - End - #5

BardGuy

You could try BESM. It was made as an anime RPG, so it's got cartoon physics basically built in, and it was made to cover a vast array of genres (fantasy, sci-fi, noir, etc.) so it has a vast array of magic spells and character powers your players could choose from. It's a point buy system, so there are no class restrictions. The one issue is that I've heard some powers and abilities might be a bit unbalanced.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Dark Fiddler: Spoilers, darn it!
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

7. - Top - End - #7

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2012-11-13 at 11:07 PM.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well, the fact that there is a villain could maybe considered a spoiler. It generally felt like the movie was more 'Ralph vs an uncaring world' and than SUDDENLY [REDACTED].

9. - Top - End - #9

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Fiddler View Post
    {Scrub the post, scrub the quote}
    Well isn't that just turbotastic.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2012-11-13 at 11:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekkin View Post
    "Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering DM; to the last I argue with thee; from hell’s heart I slay catgirls at thee; for Galgenhumor’s sake I spit my last snark at thee. Sink all Sues and all katanas to one common pool! and since neither can be mine, let me then tow to pieces, while still gaming with thee, though ticked at thee, thou damned DM! Thus, I give up the logic!"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I would caution against GURPS (though I haven't seen the movie), because I suspect that WIR runs on "cartoon physics",
    Cartoon Physics? There is a system called Toon, though I must admit I have not played it or reviewed the rules very closely.

11. - Top - End - #11

Risus would do admirably
    Seconded. This kind of setting is directly tied to tropes, archetypes, and iconic characters. Risus would be perfect.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glimbur View Post
    Cartoon Physics? There is a system called Toon, though I must admit I have not played it or reviewed the rules very closely.
    Toon's fun, but it's intended for Looney-Toons style comedy above all else.

As was mentioned earlier, RISUS would be a good game to do this rules-lite. Mutants and Masterminds could be good rules-heavy. (I've already seen writeups of Ralph, Felix, and Calhoun in M&M over on the Atomic Think Tank forums.)
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Goblin

Savage Worlds could work.

14. - Top - End - #14

These suggestions have been Turbo-Tastic! Bro fists for all! Aww come on pal, you son of a gun. You know you want to bro fist.

I'll look over all of these suggestions. In particular Risus and Mutants and Masterminds. Everyone have some candy!

Edit
    Risus is both 9 pages and free. It is the winner! Collect the winners pot of coins Risus suggesters.
    Last edited by Gamgee; 2012-11-13 at 02:53 AM.
    They say hope begins in the dark, but most just flail around in the blackness...searching for their destiny. The darkness... for me... is where I shine. - Riddick

Exile

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Toon's fun, but it's intended for Looney-Toons style comedy above all else.

As was mentioned earlier, RISUS would be a good game to do this rules-lite. Mutants and Masterminds could be good rules-heavy. (I've already seen writeups of Ralph, Felix, and Calhoun in M&M over on the Atomic Think Tank forums.)
    Toon is a very old school game, with a very old school feel. It's not a simple game at all.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, the moment I saw the title I thougt "Mutants&Masterminds". It's great to make any kind of characters that benefits from "cinematicness", ie, dudes who don't die very easy and do pretty amazing stuff. Which covers most videogame protags.

17. - Top - End - #17

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vauron View Post
    It generally felt like the movie was more 'Ralph vs an uncaring world' and then SUDDENLY [REDACTED].
    On the movie. I was more disappointed with the insects than [REDACTED] because at least [REDACTED] was foreshadowed, whereas the insects were there, then off-screen for a good part of the film.

As far as system goes there are a bunch that try and do Anime that you could look at. I suggest GURPS, just because the amount of different character types might not fit well into any one system.

GURPS seems to do multiple systems pretty well.
    Haggis is Sheep's stomach filled with its intestines.

My blog "Awkward GM"

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Gamgee View Post
    Risus is both 9 pages and free. It is the winner! Collect the winners pot of coins Risus suggesters.
    If there's a system that can do this kind of thing better than Risus, I'd like to see it.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thomar_of_Uointer View Post
    If there's a system that can do this kind of thing better than Risus, I'd like to see it.
    3D&T does it better.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    3D&T does it better.
    Alas I can't speak that language.

Exile

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gamgee View Post
    Alas I can't speak that language.
    Let's hope Thomar does

22. - Top - End - #22

Let's hope Thomar does
    Well, I have been wanting to learn Portuguese. I can understand it well enough with a dictionary on hand, so I'll take a closer look at it later. What I've read so far looks to be very professionally done. So far I find it odd that magic and health use the same stat.
    Last edited by Thomar_of_Uointer; 2012-11-14 at 02:56 AM.
    I make games.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thomar_of_Uointer View Post
    Well, I have been wanting to learn Portuguese. I can understand it well enough with a dictionary on hand, so I'll take a closer look at it later. What I've read so far looks to be very professionally done. So far I find it odd that magic and health use the same stat.
    It used to be the number 1 system in Brazil, nowadays I think it's only behind D&D and M&M.
    I kinda worked on that
    Tiro Múltiplo, Separação, Poder Oculto, Fraturas/Amputações, that was all me

24. - Top - End - #24

It used to be the number 1 system in Brazil, nowadays I think it's only behind D&D and M&M.
    I kinda worked on that
    Tiro Múltiplo, Separação, Poder Oculto, Fraturas/Amputações, that was all me
    Sweet. Maybe I'll read through it with a dictionary too. Some of the words seems quite familiar to me.

Exile