New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Observers (Fringe) vs Agents (Matrix)

It's a superpowered guy-in-a-suit matchup!

The Observers are technologically modified humans from the future - they can teleport, read minds, catch bullets with their bare hands, travel through time, see spatial distortions with the naked eye, and possess superhuman strength. They also have incredibly advanced technology that can open larger portals through time, rapidly age a person, etc. When they use weapons, they tend to prefer a sort of pulse pistol that knocks everything in a cone back with great force. In Season 4, they
    Spoiler
    Show
    conquer Earth, demonstrating their military hardware (heavy artillery, antimatter bombs) as well as their personal combat skill.
    Their mind-reading can be resisted (either by misdirection or by massive force of will) but it is a taxing process that leaves the target at best, drained mentally, and at worst, kills them. Likewise, weapon technology developed in the Fringe universe has produced a small amount of special guns that can fire a bullet faster than an observer can follow it, which is as effective against them as a normal gun against a normal human being. Observers also have sweet hats.

The Agents are programs that bend the rules of their virtual universe - they have incredible strength, are fast enough to dodge bullets, and can never truly die so long as they can possess a new human host. The only way to defeat them within the Matrix is to break its rules even more; normally, only The One is capable of such a feat. They have awesome sunglasses.

The Observers, using their parallel universe shifting powers, discover the Matrix world, which behaves just like a normal universe for plot reasons. They don't count "jacked in" to the Matrix, and possess all the powers they normally do. They can leave it whenever they want the same way they got there, without needing phone lines. They decide to conquer it, because that's how they roll. The Matrix detects an incursion, and Agents are able to duplicate the technology that the Fringe humans used to travel between universes (a permanent corridor with checkpoints on both sides, and an impromptu method that switches an equal amount of previously tagged matter from the same location in both universes). They do not use the other universe-shifting tech, as it would destabilize the Matrix and risk waking up or killing all of its human hosts. While the beachhead for the corridor is secret for now, Agents are vulnerable in Fringe-Earth because they don't have access to their host-shifting abilities. If they die there, they die permanently. Because that Earth isn't screwed up, though, they're interested in taking over it for the solar power and other resources.

Restrictions:
    Without making contact with the resistance on Fringe-Earth, Agents cannot develop Observer-killing firearms.
    Observer pulse guns can't be dodged by an Agent, but only do enough damage to stagger one.
    Main characters from both sides are out of the picture - they're off having main character adventures. This includes the Architect. Nameless resistance fighters on both sides are allowed, though.
    The Agents don't get to just program in "a really cool robot that totally blows up everyone" and push it through the portal. They're limited by their programming to the tools they normally have at their disposal.
    The Observers don't know the location of the Agent beachhead...yet. They haven't set up their own gateway in the Matrix yet, but they can create temporary gates with no difficulty, so it's not a priority.

Questions:
    In a one on one fight, who wins between an Agent and an Observer? The Observer running away via teleportation counts as a loss unless he comes back to finish the job.
    In a war, will the Observers conquer the Matrix, will the Agents be able to take the fight to Fringe-Earth and win?
    If the Agents manage to import their Sentinels into the Matrix, and send them into Fringe-Earth from there, would that make a difference?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Observers (Fringe) vs Agents (Matrix)

While I'm not familiar with the Observers, I'd like to point out that even if an Agent dies in Fringe-Earth, the machines can just restore him from backup in the Matrix, like they did with Smith (although Neo kinda broke him the second time).
    Their host jumping ability is just a way for them to deploy near the combat zone.

Even if the Observers could get into the Matrix with all their physical abilities intact, what's stopping the machines that run the underlying hardware to go 'lol, no' and simply turn them off, rewrite the battleground to favour the Agents (like they did in the first movie), or Observer abilities throw up the equivalent of a 'file not found' error since the Matrix software's never encountered the Observer technology/abilities?

That said, this is all home ground advantage to the Agents. Someone more familiar with Fringe-Earth will have to cover that side of it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I'm going to assume that somehow they end up somewhere with their abilities in the matrix/real world attached.

In which case, I'm going with the Agents. Observers are mainly dangerous because they can read your mind and call in backup. Otherwise, ordinary humans (The protagonists) have been shown to be able to kill them without too much difficulty. Meanwhile, Matrix resistance fighters have superhuman powers which frequently just let them survive an encounter with an Agent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Don't count the Observers out totally, they may be carbon dioxide breathing degenerating balding men, but the are SMART. They can calculate and rebuff attacks in seconds. The only reason I can think that Agent Smith and his buddies would have a leg up is it may take them microseconds to do the same thing. Even then the Observers have the fourth dimension (time) on their side. Make a mistake go back and fix it such never happened in the first place. Note this is still a cursory examination following the restrictions available.
    Wizard's First Rule: People will believe anything, either because they want it to be true, or they are afraid it is true.

5. - Top - End - #5

The thing is, I think time travel in the matrix universe wouldnt happen, because its a computer program, not reality. Whats stopping the computer that actually runs the matrix from noticing this irregularity, and programming it out of the system, or just doing the same for its agents? Every time the observers "reset time" in the matrix, the program would recognize the new glitch and send its agents there as well. After all, we see the matrix get "reset" after the final battle, nothing to stop the agents and such from doing the same to counter any changes the observers might make.

Also, the agents are just BETTER than the observers. The resistance fighters in the matrix are all capable of varying levels of superhuman speed agility and power, and they get killed if they face an agent. The most you can do is slow down the agents. Destroy their body and they just show up in the nearest jacked in body and bang, right back to square one, only he is unharmed, and you are probably tired. Inside the matrix, the agents reign supreme.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

6. - Top - End - #6

This isn't a battle between the Matrix and the Observers (because yes, that would be pretty one-sided), which is why I put the restriction on the Architect. This is a battle between the Agents and the Observers. The Agents don't have the power to roll back anything or programming anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting