New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Getting into Doctor Who.

So, having only watched one episode of Nine's run, most of Ten's run, and the first season of Eleven's run, I'm curious...

Is there a canonical reason that the Doctor gets progressively younger each time he regenerates?

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cdr.Fallout View Post
    So, having only watched one episode of Nine's run, most of Ten's run, and the first season of Eleven's run, I'm curious...

Is there a canonical reason that the Doctor gets progressively younger each time he regenerates?
    No canonical reason. That's just how it's happened. Though you could read it into his character, for various motivations. It would actually make a lot of sense.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Ne, no given reason. However, I have my theory is that he's pretending to be the opposite of what he is. As Hartnell he looked really old, but often acted like an anti-social teen. As time progresses he acts more 'mature' while at the same time his appearance looks less abd less so.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

The easiest answer to this is that he's Merlin.

In the 7th doctor era I believe the name of that set of episodes is "Battlefield" the Doctor actually is "Merlin"!

Otherwise I believe its because the choices for each incarnation of the Doctor has steadily grown younger I believe the BBc have got into trouble for removing their older presenters and replacing them with younger versions but thats an argument for another thread!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

The doctor has gotten older too, at times. If you look back to the transitions 5 to 6 to 7, each of them was older than the previous.

I think the original intention for Matt Smith's doctor was to pick someone older for the role. I seem to recall an interview from around the time saying that they really wanted someone older, but Smith just knocked it out of the ballpark in his audition so they took him anyway.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

He doesn't.

3 was "older" than 2, 6 was "older" than 5, and 7 and 6 were pretty close, with the actor only being a couple months younger.
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Its worth noting that 5 was the youngest until 11 came along.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    He doesn't.

3 was "older" than 2, 6 was "older" than 5, and 7 and 6 were pretty close, with the actor only being a couple months younger.
    Hrm... 6 and 7 were really that close? Wow, I would have given them at least a good 5-10 year difference, judging on looks. For some reason 6 just looked a lot younger to me.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Finished Season 1 last night. It was AWESOME, though I didn't quite catch how did the Daleks survive.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Finished Season 1 last night. It was AWESOME, though I didn't quite catch how did the Daleks survive.
    Guys, he is expecting ANSWERS in Doctor Who.
    Sorry, but once in a while (and later in Moffat's run more often than not) the answer will be "because it makes for a good plot". That's really what drives the story, not logic and explanations.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

The Daleks are in-universe defined as being eternal survivors, and as long as some of them survive, they've been shown capable of reconstructing their entire race from a mere handful of Daleks.

This frustrates the Doctor to no end, as the Time Lords haven't managed to do the same.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

I think in the episode it's mentioned in brief, the insane Dalek Emperor fled the destruction of the Dalek race and was manipulating the DNA of humans to recreate the Daleks from scratch.

Get used to this. I'm a Dalek fan, but there pretty much space cockroaches, angry, genocidal, tank wearing cockroaches, you can wipe them out as much as you want but they're always gonna come back.