Page 7 of 77 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516173257 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: 14th Black Crusade - OOC

That's totally okay. I'll post Phinneas' walking four meters in a moment -- since he doesn't have warp sense, he doesn't get a reflexive psyniscience check, so at the moment our old psychic friend is unaware of the daemonic elephant in the psyker.
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Avatar from the NSFW webcomic, Go Get a Roomie.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lucretia View Post
    That's totally okay. I'll post Phinneas' walking four meters in a moment -- since he doesn't have warp sense, he doesn't get a reflexive psyniscience check, so at the moment our old psychic friend is unaware of the daemonic elephant in the psyker.
    Which is why, immediately after flaming the horde, Vul spells it out for everyone.

Don't want anyone's character doing anything to provoke it IC because they don't know about it.
    "All generalizations are false."
    -Me

Please remeber the impotence of poofreading everything you right.

3. - Top - End - #183

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    Its almost like they planned it....
    You'll note that Phinneas had Host of Fiends before Farius' mutation was rolled. The synergy is lovely, but we couldn't have planned around one of our members having Fear 4. That would require precognition which Phinneas has but I, much to my dismay, do not.

EDIT: Gosh. I've got to go Tzeentch instead of Slaanesh. That's upsetting.
    Last edited by Lucretia; 2012-11-13 at 07:09 PM.
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Why do you have to go Tzeentch?
    -Me

5. - Top - End - #185

Item-wise. Things like the Pendant of Psychic Neutering doesn't work against psykers of Tzeentch. I think the Crown of Prospero is the same way. Also, thrall wizards are Tzeentch only.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Item-wise. Things like the Pendant of Psychic Neutering doesn't work against psykers of Tzeentch. I think the Crown of Prospero is the same way. Also, thrall wizards are Tzeentch only.
    Ah yes. That's what happens when Tome of Fate is the only expansion out, I suppose. And I doubt Slaanesh will get much love in the upcoming Tome of Blood.

Although I don't know for sure, I'd wager Tome of Plague will come out after Tome of Blood, with Tome of Excess last.

As for myself, I intend to keep Unaligned. Being a very physically powerful Terminator helps with that, as just about all the gods have things that I can use.
    -Me

7. - Top - End - #187

Yeah. Psykers won't get much love in Khorne's book, but if that surprises anyone they must be new to the system. Unaligned is good, but none of the exalted powers really make me go 'blimey, what a cool power! I sure wish I gave up lower experience for such things as willpower and the various lores so that I could perform these various tricks!'

A pity there's no Unaligned devotion.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

I intend to be a pretty well-rounded character, so specializing just isn't where I want to go. It's not my character's personality to do that either.

Of course, it helps that, as a Terminator Sorcerer, I can be just as good in close or ranged combat as in magic, and with less risk of accidentally getting my soul eaten, like that poor chump.
    -Me

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

That's my point. The sytstems use the same wording and the RT (and DW) examples run through what happens and caps the total number of hit possible as the wepaons RoF. Read the examples given in either RT or DW as they explain it nicely.

(Also the Storm quality mentions hits = twice the RoF, not twice the RoF +1, the listed RoF is maximum achievable number of hits. You can't get more hits than the the number of rounds you fire.)
    I'm still of the opinion that the extra hits scored in regards to RoF is separate from the initial hit for succeeding the test. I will send in a rules question to FFG and see what kind of answer I'll get.

But if it is works the way you're saying it does, that would make the Near Unique 500 XP Blastmaster pretty damn awful compared to other ranged weapons that doesn't cost XP to use properly and have higher rates of fire and are harder to evade. It would also be much worse than any Swift/Lightning Attack for melee. Any semi-auto ranged weapon that isn't the Reaper Autocannon is underpowered compared to Swift Attack (and Lightning Attack).

Makes me wonder if I had even gone with the character concept if I knew semi-auto and RoF, and therefore the Blastmaster, didn't work the way I thought and I wouldn't get 3x2 hits maximum. It's a cool weapon, but it costs xp and is weak compared to a reaper autocannon, combi-bolter or a heavy bolter due to how easy it is to avoid the additional hits, and the lower amount of them. And I can only ever get 3 DoS, as more does nothing. Right now he mostly feels like a WP test-bot for Phin.

As I said it was clairified in a RT FaQ that each dodge against a storm weapon dodges 1 that is then double to 2 hits. So in practice resolve the attack normally, do the dodge then double any remaining.
    Yes, I edited in the RT FAQ/errata and I stand corrected if that's how it works in BC as well. But I cannot say I like it, as it makes it much easier to dodge Farius' attacks. I'll include it among the rules questions I send in to FFG.
    Last edited by watupwithdat; 2012-11-13 at 08:12 PM.

10. - Top - End - #190

I suppose the unjammable nature and endless ammo are the reasons it's somewhat superior to the reaper? And that you can turn it into a heavy weapon as well, I suppose. But the Reaper Autocannon does seem superior in every way, especially since you can get a fire selector on one and have all sorts of kooky ammunition in there.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

If you really prefer the combi-bolter, I can loan you mine.
    -Me

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

I suppose the unjammable nature and endless ammo are the reasons it's somewhat superior to the reaper? And that you can turn it into a heavy weapon as well, I suppose. But the Reaper Autocannon does seem superior in every way, especially since you can get a fire selector on one and have all sorts of kooky ammunition in there.
    It can still jam, just like a reaper autocannon. Unless it's Best craftmanship, just like a reaper autocannon. And with a fire selector a reaper autocannon in practice has unlimited ammo as well. You won't be able to expend all that ammo in a single combat encounter or session. Or two, for that matter. As a heavy weapon the blastmaster still doesn't come close to a reaper autocannon. I'm pretty sure it's worse as one, as well, unless there's several enemies clumped together, which is unlikely -- and they fail a dodge test.

Compare it to the legion combi-bolter or the legion heavy bolter and you'll probably find it's the same case as well. Much harder to avoid the hits I believe is the biggest factor. And they don't cost you 500 xp to use.

Kurin the minion delays a swift action on round 2 before the magus acts, btw. Should be round 3 now.

13. - Top - End - #193

The blastmaster has unlimited ammo and no need to reload. I can't see how it can jam.

Perhaps you can trade it in and undo the exotic weapon talent, considering the situation?

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by watupwithdat View Post
    It can still jam, just like a reaper autocannon. Unless it's Best craftmanship, just like a reaper autocannon. And with a fire selector a reaper autocannon in practice has unlimited ammo as well. You won't be able to expend all that ammo in a single combat encounter or session. Or two, for that matter. As a heavy weapon the blastmaster still doesn't come close to a reaper autocannon. I'm pretty sure it's worse as one, as well, unless there's several enemies clumped together, which is unlikely -- and they fail a dodge test.

Compare it to the legion combi-bolter or the legion heavy bolter and you'll probably find it's the same case as well. Much harder to avoid the hits I believe is the biggest factor. And they don't cost you 500 xp to use.

Kurin the minion delays a swift action on round 2 before the magus acts, btw. Should be round 3 now.
    It is round 3. Everyone has acted but you. The horde is at Magnitude 13 and everyone else has buggered off, is a spawn, or is a daemon. Obliteration of the horde would be appreciated.

Do you want to use my combi-bolter until you get another weapon?
    -Me

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

The blastmaster has unlimited ammo and no need to reload. I can't see how it can jam.

Perhaps you can trade it in and undo the exotic weapon talent, considering the situation?
    According to RAW it can, though. :|

Perhaps. Not sure what I'd use as a weapon, though. They're all so... boring. No wonder I never play ranged characters?

Quote Originally Posted by Henry the 57th View Post
    It is round 3. Everyone has acted but you. The horde is at Magnitude 13 and everyone else has buggered off,

is a spawn, or is a daemon. Obliteration of the horde would be appreciated.
    Alright. I'll make an IC post then. Are everyone apart from the horde and the psyker too horrified from looking at Farius' or is there still someone trying to kill us?

Do you want to use my combi-bolter until you get another weapon?
    No, as that'd mean a waste of 500 xp. I'd rather make changes regarding what character I play then.

Btw Mekboy, Alicia cannot Lightning Attack on a Charge. Only Standard, Swift and All-out allowed.
    Last edited by watupwithdat; 2012-11-13 at 08:50 PM.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Everyone else seems to have fled or gotten spawnified.
    -Me

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

The horde should be at Magnitude 9 now, which means it gets no bonuses to damage for being a horde. Since the weapons it has are described simply as being "sharp things", I'd guess nothing more dangerous than primitive knives, axes, or swords. So Mekboy and I should be a-ok, barring the daemon taking issue with us.
    -Me

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

The horde should be at Magnitude 9 now, which means it gets no bonuses to damage for being a horde. Since the weapons it has are described simply as being "sharp things", I'd guess nothing more dangerous than primitive knives, axes, or swords. So Mekboy and I should be a-ok, barring the daemon taking issue with us.
    When they move close to us Kurin will get a Swift Attack on the horde, as well. I am not sure if he gets to attack when they've used an action to move close, but before they can attack. Either way, he may kill them with a good roll.

Interestingly only one, discounting the horde, has died from weapons fire. The minion who took the first attack for his master. Rest have been a bunch of damn misses. Do Farius take credit for unwittingly turning everyone into a spawn?
    Last edited by watupwithdat; 2012-11-13 at 09:20 PM.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Technically, Phinneas should get the credit, as he's the one who cast the "failure on Willpower = Corruption" spell, which for some reason I cannot find in the book.
    -Me

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Technically, Phinneas should get the credit, as he's the one who cast the "failure on Willpower = Corruption" spell, which for some reason I cannot find in the book.
    He'd have to use his mask without Farius' help though! ~~ But yeah. Farius ain't much help with semi-auto and storm worse than I imagined. The max damage he can do to a horde in a turn is 8. And people can dodge all his attacks with 2 DoS on an evasion test.

It's under Unaligned powers. Host of Fiends.
    Last edited by watupwithdat; 2012-11-13 at 09:44 PM.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

He'd have to use his mask without Farius' help though! ~~ But yeah. Farius ain't much help with semi-auto and storm worse than I imagined.

It's under Unaligned powers. Host of Fiends.
    My autocannon wasn't terribly helpful either. On the plus side, my flamer really came in handy.

Ah, now I see it. Weird. After seeing it in action, I am highly tempted to buy that power for myself the next time we get some xp. It's super effective!
    -Me

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

Bl**dy forum lost my subscription. I was aving breakfast thinking where have people gone!

If you want to change weapon that's fine. But I've not changed any of the rules. Its the way that the rules say that storm/ Semi[/Full Auto work. Even storm desrcibes max hits as being twice the RoF - so ax hits = RoF and double for storm.

Its not surprising that aheavy tank busting cannon is superior to many other weapons. But it does have caveats with being heavy (in terms of weapon type and weight) and very, very obvious.

If Farious posts his IC post then I'll update the IC in my lunch break.
    Last edited by DrK; 2012-11-14 at 02:46 AM.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

Quick question: I can use one half action to stow my cannon properly and the other to fire the flamer one last time, right?

Also, watup did post in the IC thread. It's the most recent one.
    Last edited by Henry the 57th; 2012-11-14 at 02:48 AM.
    -Me

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground

Quick question: I can use one half action to stow my cannon properly and the other to fire the flamer one last time, right?

Also, watup did post in the IC thread. It's the most recent one.
    Not without your "good" hand. The chainfist doesn't allow any real use of that hand bar scooping things up.

I saw his IC post. Logged out and back in and ~10 threads appeared in my update. Silly forum. I'll post a short thing at lunch as only have mobile ay work. Silly filtering.

25. - Top - End - #205

If you're going to be sustaining Warptime as well, your Host of Fiends would be pretty terrible.

I'm not sure if they would stack, either.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

If you want to change weapon that's fine. But I've not changed any of the rules. Its the way that the rules say that storm/ Semi[/Full Auto work. Even storm desrcibes max hits as being twice the RoF - so ax hits = RoF and double for storm.
    The thing is both me and Lucretia, two very rulesy people, have been assuming reading the RAW that it worked the way I thought -- that RoF indicated only the limit to the extra hits, and that Storm doubled those extra hits. That's in effect 1/3 less effectivity (or more if you factor in how Storm is evaded).
    Its not surprising that aheavy tank busting cannon is superior to many other weapons. But it does have caveats with being heavy (in terms of weapon type and weight) and very, very obvious.
    The Blastmaster is as heavy and large as the Reaper Autocannon, and is a 'anti-tank weapon' when fired on its single fire mode, so I don't see how that's an important arguement for the Reaper being better than anything else.

I'm not sure if they would stack, either.
    Doubt it.

Edit:

I any case, I think I'll stick with the choices I've made. The only ranged weapon I think I'd switch to is a Reaper Autocannon and I do not want to use that boring weapon. Little if any RP potential with that or the different Bolt weapons. I can always retire the character if I find he's just scaring people during combat and everyone's dodging his shots.

Saying that I wouldn't mind if the Blastmaster's RoF was bumped up to 3 to reflect it being a rare and exotic weapon (that could rival the legion combi-bolter), and offset that it's hard to get and costs xp to use. Seems unlikey, but it'd help some atleast and get it closer to my vision of the character.

Question for DrK: Can weapons without reload/clip jam?
    Last edited by watupwithdat; 2012-11-14 at 07:22 AM.

27. - Top - End - #207

On the topic of willpower tests and Host of Fiends --

Would servitors and other mechanical beings need to take a make willpower test to Void screaming and losing their round when set on fire?

Would Jaded/Fearless/Frenzied enemies in the above scenario?

Also, I think adding to the ROF of the blastmaster is definitely a good call. Mechanically, the reaper is the best weapon. Having some that can even slightly approach it, so that we aren't penalized for not taking a fluff-wise poor weapon, would be a blessing.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

Would servitors and other mechanical beings need to take a make willpower test to Void screaming and losing their round when set on fire?
    Probably only if the fire damage goes through AP.

Possession:- WP tests Demon [roll5] TN 89 (unnatral +4) Vs Psyker [roll6] TN 39 - 5 to the demon, 2 to the human. IC post remains unchanged as you can see the change coming.
    A Lord of Change doesn't have UNWP 4 as far as I can tell, as per its write-up on page 358, so it should only have gotten 3 DoS.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

A Lord of Change doesn't have UNWP 4 as far as I can tell, as per its write-up on page 358, so it should only have gotten 3 DoS.
    What makes you think that?

Had some flaky results at work, so been busy. Will update when i get home later and settle kids to bed.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

What makes you think that?
    I was reading the traits list for the Lord of Change.

"Traits: Daemonic (+5), Dark-sight, Fear (4), Flyer (5), From Beyond, Sturdy, Unnatural Strength (+12), Unnatural Toughness (+5), The Stuff of Nightmares."