New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Unothadox gods/daemons

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    I strongly urge anyone who wants to invent his or her own gods to read the book, Small Gods, by Terry Pratchett.
    a diskworld book? Heresy

Read all the diskworld books
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

It is a very good book however I prefer Good omens; Has a more useful flavor for this particular stew.
    My Home brew setting:

Concentric circles
    Necrotheism

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeZero View Post
    How very Machiavellian, professor Doom.
    Clever, effective, and anyone who agrees with it is a grade A global supervillain.

3. - Top - End - #33

On duality/unorthodox portfolios, I liked the way Bastion handled their gods.
    link!
    I like the idea of these portfolios that seem contradictory or oppositional, but make a lot of sense when you think about it.
    Avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins! Three cheers and all that.

The World's Greatest (and only) Deceiver Askblog!

4. - Top - End - #34

EvilClericGuy

The huntsman:

The patron of the predator/prey and the ettenal chase. Symbol is the bow.

[NB] To be honest I think it might make a better titan than patron.

The watcher/shadow:

The patron of the thief and the watchman. About stealth, detection and darkness. Symbol is an eye in a hand.

The market:

The patron of merchants, beggars and taxmen. It is all about enterprise, tax, prosperity and povety. Symbol is a round coin with a square hole.

The Maker:

Patron of artisans and artists. Its all about creation, inspiration and adaptation. A strong dichotomy between tradition and progress. The symbol is the hammer.

(with the hearth and the others that makes 11, just need one more to make an even dozen patrons)

The Titans

12 of them. Unlike most patrons they do have a defined gender. They each have an element type and are linked in an opposite gender pairing.

So

Storm/Wind
    Earth/Stone
    River/Sea
    Flora/Fauna?
    Fire/???(Ice..?)
    Light?/Dark?

Spoiler
    Show

The Titans
    These beings would stand well over ten miles high, if they stood at all; they are the progenitors of the giant race and they have never been seen in the realms. Once they were gods; the old gods of man during the dreaming. In the cataclysm that followed their heavens in the maelstrom were destroyed and they were cast adrift. The essence of their beings was fused with the elemental planes themselves; they became the titans they are today.

From that time since they have slept; guarded, served and fought over by the children they have born in their sleep. It is said that the souls of those who worshiped them as gods in the great before and those in the time since live forever in their dreams. The titans cannot wake; must not wake. To disturb their rest is the greatest crime in giant society.
    My Home brew setting:

Concentric circles
    Necrotheism

Clever, effective, and anyone who agrees with it is a grade A global supervillain.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Banned

He who guards the Threshold, Crossroads Demon, God of the Ways. God of Doors

A deity that holds power in all the corners of the world where one thing meets another. It is he who allows entry & exit of any place & it is he who bars the door. Most seek his blessing during a siege, to take the castle (for the attacker), or to outlast the attacker (the defender)

6. - Top - End - #36

EvilClericGuy

A patron of portals (doors), travel and trade. (and that makes 12)
    My Home brew setting:

Concentric circles
    Necrotheism

7. - Top - End - #37

EvilClericGuy

I have been thinking about the nature of the divine and of true speaking. True speaking is important to my setting and it does not have to be used by a true speaker.

Q) In setting humans no longer have a true name; so what happened to it?

A) It became divided and manifested in the nature of the patrons. Each patron is an aspect, manifestation and mandate of human nature because it is a facet of the human true name.

Q) Trolls: In setting trolls and alfar are immortal can become living physical gods (arch fae). How?

A) Because their true names are a small portion of the true name of the universe. The ones who become arch fae are the ones who master the power of their own names.

Exarch are various categories of divine spirits. Almost all of them where once mortal beings:

Archons: They are a part of the system. They systematical take the souls of worshipers. The most powerful of these are known as the gods.

Revnant/Kami: Powerful earth bound spirits. They take the life energy of the living.

Fiends: They have a particular vice or virtue. They take the souls that resonate strongly with their power.

Djinn: They are alined with the titans and the elements. They have a whole faustian deal thing going on and are most often independent operators.

Exarch become exarchs by acquiring a divine truename. This "Baptism" is most often a gift or ascension induced by other exarchs.
    My Home brew setting:

Concentric circles
    Necrotheism