New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

Lightbulb Concept - Classical Era Campaign Setting - P.E.A.C.H.

I have worked for a few weeks on a campaign setting based on the Germanic sagas (Beowulf, the Eddas, etc.), but after reading some stuff on homebrewed campaign settings I decided to go for something more original. As someone who really appreciates Classical Greece (having read more than a couple of books by Aristotle as well as the Iliad, the Odyssey and a couple of Greek plays), I decided to create a campaign based on the Mediterranean 4th world (okay, I know it is not that much original...)

The idea is to have the campaign centred on the Greek part of the world, but picture also the proto-Celtic barbarians tribes in the north, the decaying Egyptian dynasty across the Mediterranean Sea and the Persian Empire in the peaks of its power to the East. The Greeks would be organized in city-states, naturally. Some Arabian barbarians could be included as well.

The existence of the gods would be subject to speculation. Magic would be kind of low, because studying it would be hard (more XPs to level up) and subject to restrictions (high education fees, exclusivity of a certain caste, lack of appropriate conditions in wilder lands, etc.)

I know there are a few systems with a proposal similar to this one (Agon, Warlords of Alexander, Mazes and Minotaurs, etc.). I am checking those, but I was thinking about adapting a retro-clone like Labyrinth Lord or Sword and Wizardry to do the trick, maybe adding skills. This is because I would appreciate using a system that is free (so my players don't have to buy a book to play) and familiar to everyone, so no one will have to learn a completely new game to play. On the other hand, it would also be harder to give the game a 'classical' feel. I don't know.

I would really appreciate to receive comments on my ideas, thoughts and doubts. Please evaluate and comment honestly.

I thank you all in advance

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Concept - Classical Era Campaign Setting - P.E.A.C.H.

Honestly I think a slightly tweaked Mazes and Minotaurs fits your criteria best; it's free, with a simple system, limited but evocative magic and ruleswise it's pretty close to the root D&D game.
    Last edited by RossN; 2012-11-26 at 10:08 AM.