New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Default The Dresden Files RPG: advice?

Just posting to ask if anyone has any advice on playing in the dresdenverse. My game is pretty new and my GM is soliciting advice so I figured I'd ask around the playground.

Specifically we are having game balance problems with wizard characters being over powered(1), non wizard characters having a problem keeping up in combat encounters(2), keeping encounters balanced. (see part 1&2)

Any other more general advice is welcome.
    Battle Aura by Tavin Mars
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Will Not Stand By
    I Will Not Give Up
    I Will Let My Presence Be Felt
    To The Utmost of My Ability
    Regardless Of The Battle
    I Shall Fight

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Dresden Files RPG: advice?

Those are problems inherent to the system, so there's really nothing but houserules that can fix this.

Here's the ones my group used if you're interested. There's a lot of them, but you can just pick and choose the ones that work for you.
    Last edited by Ranos; 2012-11-11 at 12:13 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMfromTheAbyss View Post
    Specifically we are having game balance problems with wizard characters being over powered(1), non wizard characters having a problem keeping up in combat encounters(2), keeping encounters balanced. (see part 1&2)

Any other more general advice is welcome.
    Spellcasting (not just wizardry) is extremely powerful. Evocation can be handled - simply extending scenes is one good method. However thaumaturgy can be problematic without either house rules or simply an agreement not to abuse it. Both do have limitations - make sure you enforce them! Else you're giving them even more power.

Other characters can keep up with planning and / or creativity. The most abusable rule isn't spellcasting - it's Declarations. Probably a good thing most aren't used to coming up with a bunch of them on the fly.

As for planning NPCs, keep two things in mind: 1) the action economy is king and 2) concessions allow you to reign things in when appropriate. In other words, be very careful about putting solo NPCs against a group of PCs - the solos seldom last more than one or two exchanges. When you do throw solo NPCs at the group, go big. Finally, don't forget to offer and accept concessions when appropriate. Most conflicts shouldn't be to the death. If they were the game would have a lot of supernatural bodies and few living.
    -
    I laugh at myself first, before anyone else can.
    -- Paraphrased from Elsa Maxwell
    -
    The more labels you have for yourself, the dumber they make you.
    -- Paul Graham in Keep Your Identity Small

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

As mentioned, magic is simply better than everything else in DFRPG.

If Evocation is allowing Wizards to breeze combat, then they're both too short and too simple. Longer, more layered combats will result in Wizards running out of juice and giving other people a chance to shine.

Thaumaturgy is the real problem, IME, though because it bends the entire game around the Wizard PC.
    Wushu Open Reloaded
    Actual Play: The Shadow of the Sun (Acrozatarim's WFRP campaign) as Pawel Hals and Mass: the Effecting - Transcendence as Russell Ortiz.
    Now running: Tyche's Favourites, a historical ACKS campaign set around Massalia 300BC.
    In Sanity We Trust Productions - our podcasting site where you can hear our dulcet tones, updated almost every week.

5. - Top - End - #5

BardGuy

Have you checked out the official DFRPG forum? http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/i...board,5.0.html

It's a pretty active place, and there's already half a dozen threads or more on the balance of Wizards versus other builds.
    I spent an hour on the edge of dreams,
    I walked between the worlds,
    and when I woke I never knew
    to which side I had fallen

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Thanks for the advice everyone.. I shall be sharing it with the GM, along with several of the offered links;)
    Battle Aura by Tavin Mars
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Will Not Stand By
    I Will Not Give Up
    I Will Let My Presence Be Felt
    To The Utmost of My Ability
    Regardless Of The Battle
    I Shall Fight

7. - Top - End - #7

NinjaGuy

Isn't thaumaturgy the black? Shouldn't there be wardens coming down to slice off your wizard's head with a claymore?
    Haggis is Sheep's stomach filled with its intestines.

My blog "Awkward GM"

8. - Top - End - #8

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DontEatRawHagis View Post
    Isn't thaumaturgy the black? Shouldn't there be wardens coming down to slice off your wizard's head with a claymore?
    No. Thaumaturgy is any slow-casted spell prepared with a magic circle and other such preparations. As opposed to Evocation, which is quick-and-dirty manipulation of elements, suitable for combat.

Both Evocation and Thaumaturgy CAN break the laws of magic, but it totally depends on what exactly you make your spell do.
    I spent an hour on the edge of dreams,
    I walked between the worlds,
    and when I woke I never knew
    to which side I had fallen

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I will note: for a series in which the main protagonist is a wizard, where he's the one pulling all sorts of crazy stuff, this sounds about right. Not 3.5 world-shattering, I hope, but still very powerful.

That said, isn't Harry's usual problem dealing with mundane issues? Exhaustion, sleep-deprivation, forgetting to empty out Mister's litter box...
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

OP: You might try here or here.

Phil the Piratical Platypus avatar by Serpentine

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    I will note: for a series in which the main protagonist is a wizard, where he's the one pulling all sorts of crazy stuff, this sounds about right. Not 3.5 world-shattering, I hope, but still very powerful.

That said, isn't Harry's usual problem dealing with mundane issues? Exhaustion, sleep-deprivation, forgetting to empty out Mister's litter box...
    Yeah. Xefas said it best.

We found that the wizard got hosed the hardest pretty much all the time, due to having 1 (or was it 2?) refresh. If you're playing with a wizard who has any easier a time doing things than Harry "Oh gee I got disemboweled again on my way to the bus station" Dresden, then the GM probably isn't compelling the characters as viciously as he should. The Vampire, on the other hand, could resist the worst of things, while still being better than the Wizard in a fight (and in... certain kinds of social situations). The Mortal squandered his refresh for most of the game, and only really got the hang of Declarations in the last session (which I'm inclined to say are the greatest weapon in the pure mortal toolbox). But he still had lots to do (do you know what hole all powerful wizards and ancient vampires have in their repertoire? Google-fu).
    Of course, he did also say this.

My one worry is the thaumaturgy system. We didn't get to use it all that much (our wizard was too busy getting hit by buses or thrown off buildings or collapsing from heat stroke and then being mugged). The times it was used, it was pretty cool (even if it seemed a bit clunky - that might've just been us).
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-11-15 at 08:05 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

12. - Top - End - #12

It looks like Xefas' wizard was holding back - a lot. No thaumaturgy, no gigantic fight-ending discipline boosts, to the point that even the vampire was better than him in a fight.
    If your players are willing to restrain themselves, that works fine too, but otherwise a balanced game is better.
    Last edited by Ranos; 2012-11-16 at 03:55 AM.