New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: League of Legends XL: Season on Hold 'til Morello gets Gold

Well, I should specify what exactly my build order is.

start boots pots, go into 2 doran's blades, a cutlass, work into & finish a triforce, typically finish the gunblade (should I?), & then... well, I've hardly gotten that far, so, to be honest I'm not sure. I'd think Maw and GA might be good on him. Not sure what to fill in for that 5th item.
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroNumerous View Post
    As far as Jax items: I personally favor Triforce->GA->Mallet. Triforce for damage, GA for survivability and just plain GA-dom, and Mallet for extra survival + chasing. After that, it's mostly damage items(BT->LW) if I'm stomping or defensive items(Randuins/FH->FoN) if I need to be tankier.
    Trinity+Mallet is kinda strange. I'd just go for Randuin's straight up except against heavy magic damage (QSS/BVeil/FoN situational) or true damage (Warmog's). Remember, Randuin's also give you extra chasing with its passive and active slows. FH against heavy AD.

That is, my build order would be:
    -Boots-Pots
    --Optional Doran's Blades (cheap damage in tough lane)
    -Phage
    --Optional Vamp Scepter (cheap sustain in tough or even lane)
    -Trinity
    --Optional Cutlass (if ahead)
    -GA
    And then the above considerations for defensive items.
    Last edited by Math_Mage; 2012-11-16 at 09:17 PM.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    Trinity+Mallet is kinda strange.
    I want AD and HP. Unfortunately it's one of the few items that does both.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

Related to Jax Talk: Gunblade spellvamp stacks again. But really though, with the new wave of items, building Jax just got a lot more complicated, and a case of 'which of all these really good items would be best for me'

Well, except: Scimitar > Malmordius is always true lategame.

Also, in a PBE game where a bunch of us were trying things out, we came up with the idea of porting Van Damme's Pillager to SR by upping the flat ArPen on all the items that have it by a little bit, but making it in line with the named item passives, like Legion, Insight and That-One-That-Gives-MPen.

So you can build one Flat ArPen item, and you choose if you want Black Cleaver, Van Damme's, or Ghostblade. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Reynard; 2012-11-16 at 09:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #305
    Troll in the Playground

Hexdrinker is strong, but Maw is a terribly inefficient upgrade. Get Hexdrinker if you're seriously threatened by a specific AP, otherwise get Aegis or GA.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
    Related to Jax Talk: Gunblade spellvamp stacks again. But really though, with the new wave of items, building Jax just got a lot more complicated, and a case of 'which of all these really good items would be best for me'
    Stacking Gunblades on either Jax or Akali was never anything but a niché pubstomp build much like Revolver-stacking Vlad anyways. Making Gunblade Spellvamp Unique was one of the most unnecessary changes in the game's history. Against reasonable opponents the fact that your effective HP is all based on lifestealing means you just get bursted down with maybe a single CC effect.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Stacking Gunblades on either Jax or Akali was never anything but a niché pubstomp build much like Revolver-stacking Vlad anyways. Making Gunblade Spellvamp Unique was one of the most unnecessary changes in the game's history. Against reasonable opponents the fact that your effective HP is all based on lifestealing means you just get bursted down with maybe a single CC effect.
    That was mostly in jest, but okay. The actually serious part of my post is still relevant. People are going to want revisit all their builds and think about what's best for them.

I've already got a pretty strong Garen build going, though the lose of HoG is a big one.
    Last edited by Reynard; 2012-11-16 at 10:00 PM.
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #308
    Bugbear in the Playground

So this happened.

Spoiler
    Show

I just dominated the entire game. Soloed Vilemaw at one point. Died to Vilemaw at another point when I started it at 1/3 hp after we aced them, we did get it though.

I swear it is SO easy to win on treeline.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutskarn View Post
    That's the kind of beard that says, "I'm rugged enough not to shave, but have good enough genetics/grooming habits that I can not consequentially look like a mountain rapist."
    Pokemon available/breedable (5iv):
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's a big list, ask me. All pokemon will be perfect 5iv unless noted otherwise.
    Spoiler
    Show
    3ds Code: 1590-5500-0148

9. - Top - End - #309
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mtg_player_zach View Post
    I swear it is SO easy to win on treeline.
    you're 21/9. you're practically still in normal elo placement matches, so it's to be expected.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ettin in the Playground

I really hope the gunblade active's CD reduction goes live. Akali is *SO* going to love that. If she does well in a rolling teamfight, she could actually get off two gunblade shots per fight.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

11. - Top - End - #311

Quote Originally Posted by aethernox View Post
    you're 21/9. you're practically still in normal elo placement matches, so it's to be expected.
    They aren't improving.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutskarn View Post
    That's the kind of beard that says, "I'm rugged enough not to shave, but have good enough genetics/grooming habits that I can not consequentially look like a mountain rapist."
    Pokemon available/breedable (5iv):
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's a big list, ask me. All pokemon will be perfect 5iv unless noted otherwise.
    Spoiler
    Show
    3ds Code: 1590-5500-0148

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

I've already got a pretty strong Garen build going, though the lose of HoG is a big one.
    What is it? After a custom game in which I tried an unusual Garen build (Warmog's/Warmog's/Warmog's/Warmog's/Warmog's/FoN) I've been considering going for more tanky builds than my normal AD + resists one.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post
    What is it? After a custom game in which I tried an unusual Garen build (Warmog's/Warmog's/Warmog's/Warmog's/Warmog's/FoN) I've been considering going for more tanky builds than my normal AD + resists one.

Bots of choice/Runic Bulwark/Black Cleaver/Frozen Mallet, then you have a choice to make between Mercurial Scimitar/Atma's Impaler/Randiuns Omen/GA

Best part is that nearly all these items have a lesser stage that you can build first to get a rounded build quickly, then upgrade to taste. Aegis/Brtualizer/Phage/QSS/Warden's Mail is still a lot of tankyness and a fair amount of damage.

Fully built, though, you have 240-ish in all resists, 4.2K health, 250 AD, and Arpen/ArShred
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #314

I'm really liking the new Blackfire Torch. Champs like Karma, Janna, Zilean, champs on whom I got DFG for CDR before I can now run BFT instead. And it just so synergizes well with Sorcs for generating surprisingly solid damage.

Funny note, Brand's passive triggers Blackfire Torch so when you hit somebody with Brand's anything while having BFT they burn extra long (last tick of passive triggers full BFT trigger).
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

... urgh so many jungle changes to process.

Though the thought of lee being bad in the jungle makes me laugh.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

16. - Top - End - #316

Bruisers are megapopular in TT. But in my experience, a solid tank can neuter them pretty hard.

I've only lost one Shen game so far, and just carried a game out as Nautilus by making their Garen irrelevant with 300+ armor.
    -\==/-
    I always ask a big question on the League thread right before bedtime so I have something to read while trying to wake up.
    Responses of any sort are wonderful.

Spoiler
    Show
    I like coming up with concepts for characters, and will do so often. But writing up crunch, especially for anything that isn't level 1, takes me a while, and after wasting lots of time writing unused characters on Mythweavers, I generally don't make a sheet unless a DM really likes the concept. Sorry.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maeglin_Dubh View Post
    Bruisers are megapopular in TT. But in my experience, a solid tank can neuter them pretty hard.

I've only lost one Shen game so far, and just carried a game out as Nautilus by making their Garen irrelevant with 300+ armor.
    In my experience, Garen is largely irrelevant to most of the TT regulars, unless he builds damage and they don't build armour, but then he's irrelevant because he gets murdered.

Now, if you can find a way to counteract Olaf, besides 'Kill his team then beat him down', I'd like to hear it. If only so I know what to avoid when playing him.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #318

In my experience, Garen is largely irrelevant to most of the TT regulars, unless he builds damage and they don't build armour, but then he's irrelevant because he gets murdered.

Now, if you can find a way to counteract Olaf, besides 'Kill his team then beat him down', I'd like to hear it. If only so I know what to avoid when playing him.
    Jarvan. Haven't lost as him, either.
    -\==/-
    I always ask a big question on the League thread right before bedtime so I have something to read while trying to wake up.

Spoiler
    Show
    I like coming up with concepts for characters, and will do so often. But writing up crunch, especially for anything that isn't level 1, takes me a while, and after wasting lots of time writing unused characters on Mythweavers, I generally don't make a sheet unless a DM really likes the concept. Sorry.

19. - Top - End - #319

Anivia is the ultimate Olaf-counter. Jarvan's indeed another good one, especially in Carry comps.

20. - Top - End - #320

Played as Jarvan the other night, brutalized the enemy Jax solo top, went bottom and ganked for a kill on Olaf about two minutes into laning.

Spent the rest of the game abusing Jax and making Olaf sit in Time-Out every time he ulted. My Katarina and Diana were quick to notice the theme and make use of it.
    -\==/-

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maeglin_Dubh View Post
    Played as Jarvan the other night, brutalized the enemy Jax solo top, went bottom and ganked for a kill on Olaf about two minutes into laning.

Spent the rest of the game abusing Jax and making Olaf sit in Time-Out every time he ulted. My Katarina and Diana were quick to notice the theme and make use of it.
    Ha, yeah. Only CC that works on an ulting Olaf: Walls.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #322
    Troll in the Playground

Bought Zed today, been playing him a lot. Thoughts so far:
    - kills squishies well (though Zhonya's tends to counter him)
    - Max E and then W, Q is pretty superfluous early (mostly an energy drain, maybe good for getting cs if you're getting zoned)
    - Mediocre jungler. Fast cleartime, no sustain.
    - W+E is a good harass mechanism
    - Last hitting is extremely easy with the passive and the animation is very responsive
    - Weak-ish early laning, need to be careful. W is a good escape though

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

In my experience, going Tankren results in you being hilariously hard to kill but also utterly useless.

In my experience, AD Garen works as well on TT as on SR...no, better, even. Which means winning. Armor? Pillager/Brutalizer/Black Cleaver say no. Damage? Lifesteal/spellvamp/W active and passive say no.

I mean, I'm sure there are people who /should/ own AD Garen, but the good old 'be better at AD Garen than they are against him' works for me quite well.

EDIT: Basically, Tankren plays like AD Garen but with two differences:

-You do no damage.
    -You generally die once your team is dead and you get focused. (This is often the case as AD Garen, in my games, but he's squishier than Tank, so he's more likely to die to focus fire before mop-up.)
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2012-11-17 at 03:38 PM.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Anivia is the ultimate Olaf-counter. Jarvan's indeed another good one, especially in Carry comps.
    I once played with Zach late at night when he was "tired." The enemy picked Vlad and he insta locked J4 and screamed into his mic about how he was gonna kill vlad. Vlad can't pool out of J4 ult.

I honestly don't know why people don't play j4 more. Hopefully the new jungle will make him more popular. Honestly, Wriggles/Aegis J4 is one of the best bruisers from the jungle. IMO he's better than Nocturne, and he does AD damage and he's pretty much a beast initiating tank. Like, the fact that he is an AD initiating tank is a big deal, because other initiating tanks, like Amumu and Malphite are magic damage. Though I suppose Triforce Malphite IS VIABLE, just not something I would suggest you play.

In other news: I played the best League game ever.

Our team: Karthus, Nocturne, Cait/Nunu, Irelia (me)
    Their team: Kass, Moakai, Vayne/Janna, Darius

I tell the team to run a 2v1 because I'm 100% sure I can 2v1 with Irelia (only because Wickd did it, tbh ) and I take 2v1 runes/masteries.

We run a 2v1. Darius gets FB. Kass kills karthus with ganks. We leave laning certainly behind. Karthus keeps dying, Cait is overly aggressive, and our nocturne has BT and is building Trinity force. Throughout this entire period I am farming. I do nothing but farm, in fact, and only TP to fights.

Then we have a fight near baron. I don't even remember what happened this fight, except we won with 3 alive (nunu/karthus died) and took baron. But we weren't able to do anything with it because cait, karthus, and nunu keep going alone and dying. I type in chat "don't go alone" like 5 times and I actually think it kinda worked. Nunu still has the problem of solo warding by himself (I tell him to ask for help, he kinda gets more cautious, but still solo wards). Karthus, btw, is 0/6 at this point, though he is farming well. The enemy Kass/Vayne are fed as hell. Darius is under control because of the 2v1 and I do realize Nocturne, while he has a retarded build, IS killing the enemy carries. He does apparently know how to play Nocturne. So basically, we have proven we can win teamfights, but are still severely behind.

The thing is, their damage is focused on 2 heroes: Kass and Vayne. Mobile carries, but still squishy. Darius/Moakai aren't peeling, and instead are initiating, so Janna alone is there to peel. I stand way back and wait for Vayne/Kass to come into Q range and/or stand on top of cait and kill Moakai/Darius when they come. Karthus plays perfectly, in all honesty. He did exactly what Karthus with 0 kills should do: die instantly and then win the teamfight.

Three teamfights later, and one stolen penta (Cait got a quadra and I didn't realize until after I killed the last guy while Cait was DPSing him LOL) we have 3 GAs and their middle inhib is up with no tower. Only my GA procs. We win.

I have no clue how we won. Apparently though, I can play Irelia now. Its this strange sensation. I still feel like my Irelia is very weak, because Irelia has a very weak early game, and I HATE early game weak champions (its why I am unable to play Singed).

I also admit that game would have been impossible to win if I had 1v1ed Darius and/or their bot lane had been a good 2v1. If they had run Taric/Graves or Leona+Corki I would have died. Janna Vayne has no killing power and I started cloth+5. I don't think I had to TP to tower once, just used it for splitting.

edit: My elo sucks btw. I'm like 1200 something. 200 elo below where I was a week ago. This reset **** sucks. I think its because, as someone told me a while ago, I don't play a carry style. I prefer to just farm. I've carried two games as Vlad/Ryze by going middle, letting my enemy roam for free, and then pushing their lane and taking wraith camps. My team complained until we started to teamfight, where I KILLED EVERYONE.

In other news: Playing at low elo has made me notice some things.

A) the importance of learning how to play passive. NO ONE DOES THIS. If you are losing your lane, play passive. Its very hard to do, becuase you feel bad doing it, but you must. Playing passive is the key to winning a losing lane. Its all about good decision making.

B) AD carries are very, very, easy to play against bad players. A Good AD Carry stands in the back. This would explain why our cait from the previous game was constantly in range of Moakai/Darius CC. it was really painful to watch Nunu/Cait stand so ****ing close to the enemy team for no reason at all. Its very frustrating for me to constantly say "Cait stand behind me Ill protect you" only to have to dive into the enemy team to save the carry.

C) I'm beginning to anaylze my own play and realize how good I am, which also means how good players better than me are. Its really interesting that Riot discusses removing "burden of knowledge" all the time, yet I think League is basically impossible to play effectively without specific mechanics memorized. I was wondering to myself when I learned how to freeze lanes. Because, to be completely honest, I don't even remember anyone telling me or anything, I just realized you could freeze lane. I learned how to use bushes for aggro and/or skirmishing top lane (Pro tip: Top Lane is won by ganks, freezing lane, and bush control, unless you are darius and can just kill stuff)

Also: I'm waiting for the 2v1 meta to hit solo queue. Like, its really easy. I think the major issue with top lane assassin heroes is you can 2v1 them and beat them. The same issue exists middle lane. I never played DotA with jungling, so I'd like to know if lane swaps, trilanes, and stuff like that, how common was it in pug DOTA games?

edit: Holy Hell this was a big post.
    Last edited by toasty; 2012-11-17 at 05:10 PM.

25. - Top - End - #325

Planetar

Thing about J4 is I'm spoiled on old J4 when he was super b0rken with HoG stacking and the full 9 yards. He's good now still, but it's hard to play someone who used to be able to just wreck whole teams and now you have to remember to think carefully about acting. Although, my recent success with him was doing wraiths->red->gank jayce for our xin, get first blood, farm jungle some and give first blue to our mid viktor, gank mid right before red expires, farm, red comes up, gank top again for another kill, farm, right before red expires gank top again for another kill, then teamfights roll around and xin got a penta. It's amazing how good Jarvan's ganks are though. Like, just stupid you can't get away from them no matter what you do good.

26. - Top - End - #326

Anyone else have any first impressions on Zed? He looks nifty, but I've not been impressed by him in any of the games I've seen him in yet.
    -\==/-

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #327
    Troll in the Playground

Speaking of J4, did anyone watch the SGS vs TPA series at GPL Playoffs?

Specifically game 3, the only game that SGS took off of TPA. As it happens, they won with mid Karma, but that's not why i'm bringing it up.

Did anyone here know that you could do this with J4's combo?

28. - Top - End - #328

Planetar

He's not that good. Runs out of energy super fast if he wants to do any damage at all, double hits help but then you can't gap close at all if your ult isn't up. Basically, ults can get you kills, but other than that he's weak.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosOS View Post
    He's not that good. Runs out of energy super fast if he wants to do any damage at all, double hits help but then you can't gap close at all if your ult isn't up. Basically, ults can get you kills, but other than that he's weak.
    When j4 was super broken I was 2-11 with him in ranked.

edit: 2-14 actually.
    Last edited by toasty; 2012-11-17 at 06:25 PM.

30. - Top - End - #330

Quote Originally Posted by toasty View Post
    When j4 was super broken I was 2-11 with him in ranked.

edit: 2-14 actually.
    Talking about Zed.
    -\==/-

Spoiler
    Show