Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DoughGuy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Help with Master of Masks build

    Hey playground!

    For an upcoming campaign I want to use the Master of Masks PrC from complete Scoundrel. My main problem is I can't think of a base class to start from. I plan on being a Changeling, however that may be vetoed and if it is I plan on going human and adding Chameleon into the build. I want the base class to be something sneaky like Rogue but I'm not sure if that takes the best benefit of MoM. I've also looked at the warlock for a bit of versatility (although I know that warlock and versatile aren't 100% compatible) but the slow progression of it once I get into MoM doesn't make it an attractive choice.

    So what base classes are best for this? And while I'm here what are the best masks from MoM?

  2. Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Feytalist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    In the big city now
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Help with Master of Masks build

    A previous Iron Chef contest featured the Master of Masks.

    It contains some pretty awesome builds to give you some inspiration.

    The builds start on page 5.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

    From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

  3. Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DoughGuy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Help with Master of Masks build

    They take interesting routes their lol. Lots of small dips into base classes and the life, something I'm not used to seeing. Thanks for pointing that out it should help.

  4. Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Help with Master of Masks build

    What is your goal for the character?

    • At High Optimization, the Gladiator Mask grants proficiency with all exotic weapons, this a cool build that Person Man built : http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88633
    • Lower Op, you want a caster to take advantage of the every other level casting advancement.
    • Assassin (Avenger if you need a Good Variant) Prestige Class allow for a small amount of casting and works on theme.
    • Thug Variant from Unearthed Arcana might be a good way into the class, since its Full BaB and has Sneak Attack.
    • Ranger is an interesting way to get in too, because it would eventually get Hunter's Eye (2nd level Ranger Spell from Player's Handbook 2) allows you to add a 1/3 per caster level Sneak Attack damage.
    Last edited by Talionis; 2012-11-13 at 11:50 AM.

  5. Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    eggs's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2012

    Default Re: Help with Master of Masks build

    I'd go Warlock 4/Warblade 1/Chameleon 2/Master of Masks 8/Chameleon 7: It's a little awkward because Chameleon is just better than MoM at pretty much exactly the same role, but its levels are being neglected to the end, but the result has full Chameleon casting, enough CL from Warlock to do the Extra Spell spellbook thing, some defenses from Warblade that stay relevant forever, and MoM abilities coming early enough to maybe not be completely irrelevant.

    Or, if you're into Early entry tricks, Bard 4/Knight of the Weave 1/Master of Masks 10/Abjurant Champion 5 is about as elegant as a Master of Masks founded on early entry tricks is going to get: 6th level spells, Charisma synergy, CL eventually 26 on KotW spells (though it spends a lot of time at CL 5-9).

  6. Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DoughGuy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Help with Master of Masks build

    Quote Originally Posted by Talionis View Post
    What is your goal for the character?

    • At High Optimization, the Gladiator Mask grants proficiency with all exotic weapons, this a cool build that Person Man built : http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88633
    • Lower Op, you want a caster to take advantage of the every other level casting advancement.
    • Assassin (Avenger if you need a Good Variant) Prestige Class allow for a small amount of casting and works on theme.
    • Thug Variant from Unearthed Arcana might be a good way into the class, since its Full BaB and has Sneak Attack.
    • Ranger is an interesting way to get in too, because it would eventually get Hunter's Eye (2nd level Ranger Spell from Player's Handbook 2) allows you to add a 1/3 per caster level Sneak Attack damage.
    I like that build by Person, its given me some ideas. Mainly I have never done a ranged character and master thrower looks good. Just played a partial ranger so don't wanna look at them again. Assassin is popular for MoM it seems so thats another option. Its probably about mid op. The DM has moments of high op and low op when he's a player so I imagine he'll be similar as a DM.

  7. Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Help with Master of Masks build

    Quote Originally Posted by DoughGuy View Post
    I like that build by Person, its given me some ideas. Mainly I have never done a ranged character and master thrower looks good. Just played a partial ranger so don't wanna look at them again. Assassin is popular for MoM it seems so thats another option. Its probably about mid op. The DM has moments of high op and low op when he's a player so I imagine he'll be similar as a DM.
    If you are looking at Master Thrower, you may want to look at a level of Warblade and 2 or 4 levels of Bloodstorm Blade. Being able to throw any weapon and be proficient with every weapon with Master of Masks is pretty cool. Warblade gives you weapon aptitude and a good recharge mechanic that can pick up multiple Iron Heart maneuvers to power your Bloodstorm Blade mechanics.

    I've toyed with that kind of mix and think it would be pretty fun so keep me updated with what you come up with.

  8. Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DoughGuy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Help with Master of Masks build

    Ok will do. Thanks for the help

  9. Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DoughGuy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Help with Master of Masks build

    Changeling, 32 pt buy
    10 str, 16 dex, 12 con, 16 int, 8 wis, 14 cha
    Factotum 1, Point Blank Shot
    Factotum 2
    Factotum 3,
    Factotum 4
    Factotum 5
    Warblade 1,
    Master of Masks 1
    Bloodstorm Blade 1
    Bloodstorm Blade 2,
    Bloodstorm Blade 3
    Bloodstorm Blade 4
    Factotum 6,
    Factotum 7
    Factotum 8
    BB 5,
    BB 6
    BB 7
    BB 8,
    BB 9
    BB 10

    Here's what I'm looking at atm. Taking warblade later so I can get some better maneuvers in case I want to use them normally. I'll probably take the feats which will get me into master thrower, but I can't see what's really good about it so at most Im thinking a one level dip at most for the ability to thrown in melee.

  10. Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2011

    Default Re: Help with Master of Masks build

    I once played in a game with a guy who was a Beguiler, who went into Master of Masks. It was a pretty solid build. Very flexible.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

    Where did you start yours?
    In a deep pit latrine/prison cell surrounded by other prisoners in an orc work camp with nothing but a loincloth and their wits to survive.



  11. Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, FL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Help with Master of Masks build

    Quote Originally Posted by DoughGuy View Post
    Changeling, 32 pt buy
    10 str, 16 dex, 12 con, 16 int, 8 wis, 14 cha
    Factotum 1, Point Blank Shot
    Factotum 2
    Factotum 3,
    Factotum 4
    Factotum 5
    Warblade 1,
    Master of Masks 1
    Bloodstorm Blade 1
    Bloodstorm Blade 2,
    Bloodstorm Blade 3
    Bloodstorm Blade 4
    Factotum 6,
    Factotum 7
    Factotum 8
    BB 5,
    BB 6
    BB 7
    BB 8,
    BB 9
    BB 10

    Here's what I'm looking at atm. Taking warblade later so I can get some better maneuvers in case I want to use them normally. I'll probably take the feats which will get me into master thrower, but I can't see what's really good about it so at most Im thinking a one level dip at most for the ability to thrown in melee.
    You have the right idea, take the Warblade at level nine, so you can grab Iron Heart Surge. It's a third level initiator and very powerful, plus you can dump it to Bloodstorm Blade Manuevers. I also suggest White Raven Tactics, it's very powerful too.

  12. Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    DoughGuy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Help with Master of Masks build

    Ok I'll just puch BB back a few levels then. I'll have factotum instead so I won't really be losing any power during those levels.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •