New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default New DM requiring help

So here's the deal; I'm running a campaign with a strong undead theme. The party as it exists now consists of three level 2 characters. My problem is all the undead that I can find and that seem even remotely interesting (i.e. not zombies) are rather stronger than I'd like them to be. Specifically, I wanted the next session to be focused on a group of vampires, but after seeing how ungodly strong they are what with fast healing and all, I think I'll have to use vampire spawn instead.

tl;dr - does anyone know of any good, SENTIENT undead creatures for a few level 2 characters to fight?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: New DM requiring help

Use whatever you want, level them up, or down, tweak as necessary. The monsters presented in the books are ready made suggestions for your use, not strict blocks served to you without choice.

To be honest, so long as the thing feels like whatever it is you're trying to make it, the players will accept that.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

There's also a template in BoVD called Corpse Creature (p185). It's CR+1, so you can add it to a 1 or 2 HD anything and it will be a decent fight.

Add to a NPC class, or player class for more of a challenge.

A Human Fighter(2) with two flaws has six feats, can use a 2h weapon, and surprise the players who were expecting a "grrr zombie dumb" fight. Toss on Iron Will for at least one of those feats to help against control or turn attempts.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

If you want an entire campaign themed on undead, then you need to update the undead monsters list. Here are some places you can start:

Eberron Campaign Setting - The Karnathi zombies and skeletons are good upgraded versions of typical zombies and skeletons. Both types are CR 3 and are noticably intelligent. That means that a creature turned undead in this manner will have tactics that remain dangerous even after their death.

Libris Mortis - Necropolitans would make awesome inhabitants for this world, this book has too many things to list
    BoVD - probably a few things here, I forget
    Fiend Folio - has some awesome undead

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Thanks for the quick replies! One more question though, what is BoVD? I can only assume it's an accessory book along the lines of Complete Divine or what have you.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nexahs View Post
    Thanks for the quick replies! One more question though, what is BoVD? I can only assume it's an accessory book along the lines of Complete Divine or what have you.
    BoVD is Book of Vile darkness, it's the book of evil things and stuff. In my personal opinion, it has a lot of great content to add to any campaign.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

The book Heroes of Horror could also help. Even Heroes of Battle could be useful if you want to create an undead army for the PCs to encounter.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

Corpse Creature, Skeletal Creature, Corrupted Creature, feats (lich loved, for example) and a whole host of other things are in Book of Vile Darkness. Those three templates are CR+1 only as well.

Don't forget to check out, as mentioned above, Libris Mortis - particularly the corpsecrafter feats to help bump up the threat level of the undead without actually having to change their CR (in other words, whatever force created them used those feats). Warning on that, some of those are probably worth a +1 to CR, but if you're doing a BBEG-type force behind the undead they're a pretty good addition for inflating monster danger without inflating CR.