New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 101 of 121 FirstFirst ... 5176919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,030 of 3609
  1. - Top - End - #3001
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXII

A 1484

The Factotum's IP total is renewed at the start of every encounter. Unspent IPs are available until they run out. Your individual DM may decide that some non-combat situations constitute encounters, but otherwise an encounter starts when you roll for initiative.

2. - Top - End - #3002
    Orc in the Playground

Q1485

Are players entitled to search, spot, listen checks, and the like, or do they have to make the calls to do them themselves?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Well, I'm firmly convinced that gelatinous cubes simply hold static in one point and force the world to move around them to their mobility desires.
    Awesome G.Cube avatar by Savannah!

Please forgive any spelling or grammar mistakes I may make, it is quite difficult to type with a pseudopod.

3. - Top - End - #3003
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q 1486

Improved Familiar's familiar list is based on arcane spellcaster level. Does that mean a wizard 5/loremaster 2 or the like be able to get a Formian Worker (requires 7th level), or would it be restricted to a 5th level one (like a Shocker Lizard).

4. - Top - End - #3004
    Titan in the Playground

A1485
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD Spot
    Every time you have a chance to spot something in a reactive manner you can make a Spot check without using an action. Trying to spot something you failed to see previously is a move action.
    Listen is similar. Search, however, is inherently active, and requires a full-round action.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

5. - Top - End - #3005
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 1485

There are a couple of things you might want to note about Spot and Listen checks:
    • You can elect to "take 10" on these. That way, the DM can determine your passive perceptions always, without you needing to speak up or roll.
    • Quote Originally Posted by Spot
      Trying to spot something you failed to see previously is a move action.
      Quote Originally Posted by Listen
      Trying to hear something you failed to hear previously is a move action.
      It's the DM's responsibility to interpret the scope of "something" in these skill rules. It could be any of the following:
      • the same creature/object/sound
      • the same creature/object/sound in the same location
      • the same creature/object/sound in the same location repeating an action (or no action)
      You'll want to find out where your individual DM comes in on this spectrum of possibilities, to know when it might be advisable to spend a move action or two rechecking things around your character.

6. - Top - End - #3006
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Q1487
    Soulbound warrior in RoE let's you form your mind blade as a swift action while free draw lets you draw your mind blade as a free action once a turn. What's the mechanical difference between them other than free draw saving you a swift action? Is there a difference between forming a mind blade and drawing it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    You live up to your name.

Stay classy.
    Hyperconsiousness review

Dreamscarred Press SRD

DSP reviews WIP
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #3007
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Q1488
    When a factotum heals using his Opportunistic Piety, does it heal 2x Factotum level + int modifier or 2(factotum + int modifier)?
    A single action cannot and should not define a character's alignment. While a single action can have an alignment, a character's alignment is the culmination of all actions taken, and most importantly the purpose and intent for why those actions were taken.
    My Homebrews:
    Alu-Fiend + Lesser Variant[PEACH]
    Benders, Avatar: The Last Airbender Inspired Classes [PEACH]

8. - Top - End - #3008
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1488 The former.

Standard rules for arithmetic expression bind multiplication more tightly than addition. Absent any parentheses or verbal equivalents, "twice your factotum level + your Int modifier" is to be read as "(twice your factotum level) + your Int modifier".

9. - Top - End - #3009
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Q 1489

Can a spellthief choose any spell on a target of his Steal Spell ability or only ones he has witnessed or believes the target to have. In other words, does that ability allow the spellthief to scan the target's entire spell list for the day to make a choice?
    Last edited by dangerginger; 2013-04-22 at 10:41 AM.

10. - Top - End - #3010
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1489

The Spellthief chooses in advance which spell to steal — or can elect not to choose, and the DM will select a random spell. The Spellthief has no access to the list of spells their target has available. Two quotes from page 16 of Complete Adventurer:
    A spellthief can choose which spell to steal; otherwise, the DM determines the stolen spell randomly.
    For example, a 1st-level spellthief who uses this ability against a 1st-level sorcerer could choose to steal magic missile. Assuming the sorcerer knew that spell, a successful steal spell attack would eliminate one 1st-level spell slot and temporarily prevent her from casting magic missile.

11. - Top - End - #3011
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Q 1490a Let's say a Adult Black Dragon tried to use double movement action to move 300ft in a round but a Handsome Conjurer uses celerity to put Wall of Stone in it's way. The dragon has poor maneuverability and no way to avoid the wall that suddenly appeared 5ft in front of it. Are there any rules saying what happens?

Q 1490b Let's say the handsome conjurer surrounded the dragon with solid fog. Can dragon do any movement besides falling down 5ft/round?

12. - Top - End - #3012
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Q1491
    If I drop or throw my mind blade with the lucky special ability and reform it can I use the lucky ability again afterwards? On other words, is another forged mind blade considered a different weapon?
    Last edited by classy one; 2013-04-22 at 11:34 AM.

Stay classy.
    Hyperconsiousness review

Dreamscarred Press SRD

DSP reviews WIP
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #3013
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1490a

If the Dragon has Hover they can simply stop in mid-air, then fly in any direction at half speed. Poor maneuverability limits the flying creature to a 45 degree change of direction within 5', so the Dragon could turn 45 degrees in any direction other than up before stopping at the Wall of Stone. If the Dragon has already moved at least their speed in that round, they do not stall that round. If the Dragon has not moved that distance they will stall. Because Wall of Stone can only be conjured adjacent to existing stone surfaces, the Dragon likely will fall to the ground in that round.

A 1490b

A Dragon with Hover can simply stop in mid-air, then fly in any direction at half speed. Because Solid Flog temporarily makes any creature's speed 5', it would need a double move to fly 5' in any direction.
    Flying straight down with Hover is, I think, the only way to obtain the result you posited. A Dragon with poor maneuverability and without Hover could fly horizontally or upward or downward at up to a 45 degree angle. A double move would be required to move upward at a diagonal 5' in the round. A double move would afford 10' of horizontal movement, or 15' of movement downward at a diagonal. (Upward movement costs double; downward movement costs half.) Because the Dragon's speed is reduced to 5', they would not stall if they moved any horizontal distance at all (minimum 2.5').
    A creature or object that falls into solid fog is slowed, so that each 10 feet of vapor that it passes through reduces falling damage by 1d6.
    Falling is independent of your speed, and Solid Fog does not posit any specific change to falling speed. Thus, regardless of how the spell impedes voluntary movement, a creature who elects to fall would do so at close to normal speed and would be out of the area of effect within a round. Because the effect of falling normally is +1d6 damage per 10' of distance you fall, distance dropped through Solid Fog does not add to falling damage.

A 1491 No.

Each instance of Mind Blade is a new weapon.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2013-04-22 at 11:55 AM.

14. - Top - End - #3014
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 1491 No.

Each instance of Mind Blade is a new weapon.
    Q1491 follow up
    So if it is a new weapon I can use lucky since it is like I just picked up a new weapon? Or did you mean it is not considered a new weapon unless I spend 8 hours reforging it?
    Last edited by classy one; 2013-04-22 at 12:43 PM.

Stay classy.
    Hyperconsiousness review

Dreamscarred Press SRD

DSP reviews WIP
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #3015
    Troll in the Playground

A 1484

The Factotum's IP total is renewed at the start of every encounter. Unspent IPs are available until they run out. Your individual DM may decide that some non-combat situations constitute encounters, but otherwise an encounter starts when you roll for initiative.
    A 1484 additional

And if you really need an encounter, just have another party member slap you or something. Encounters are so nebulously defined that the fact of making an attack roll should count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

16. - Top - End - #3016
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1491 follow up
    The weapon ability or abilities remain the same every time the soulknife materializes his mind blade (unless he decides to reassign its abilities; see below). The ability or abilities apply to any form the mind blade takes, including the use of the shape mind blade or bladewind class abilities.
    I apologize; my initial answer was insufficiently clear without the above quote. It's a new weapon every time the Mind Blade is formed, but the Lucky weapon ability remains the same. Lucky is usable only once per day.

17. - Top - End - #3017

BlackDragon

Q1492

What happens to skills when you multiclass? If I start as a Rogue at level 1 and take Sorcerer at level 2, can I still maximize my Rogue skills as usual or do they become cross-class skills even though I am trained in them? Could I buy a Rogue skill I didn't have before?
    : I may be in error, but I believe the appropiate proclamation is "Sneak Attack, bitch."

Thoughts on fanfiction.

18. - Top - End - #3018
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Valwyn View Post
    Q1492

What happens to skills when you multiclass? If I start as a Rogue at level 1 and take Sorcerer at level 2, can I still maximize my Rogue skills as usual or do they become cross-class skills even though I am trained in them? Could I buy a Rogue skill I didn't have before?
    A1492

The skills become cross-class, so it takes two skill points to buy one point. Note that regardless,
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Regardless of whether a skill is purchased as a class skill or a cross-class skill, if it is a class skill for any of your classes, your maximum rank equals your total character level + 3.
    Whether or not you have taken the skill before is irrelevant.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

19. - Top - End - #3019
    Ogre in the Playground

Q1493

Can you use the withdraw action while you are under the Fly spell? Your character is normally unable to fly (in other words, has no fly speed).
    Last edited by Jon_Dahl; 2013-04-22 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Grammar (I'm really tired here at the moment)

20. - Top - End - #3020
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

A1492 clarification

You can continue to max out your Rogue skills (or even pick up new ones), at the same maximums as if you were still pure Rogue, it just costs twice as many skill points.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

21. - Top - End - #3021
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1493 No.

The Fly spell does not grant you a standard fly speed, wherein any load above light prevents any flight. So you get just exactly what the spell specifies, and no more.

22. - Top - End - #3022
    Ogre in the Playground

A 1493 No.

The Fly spell does not grant you a standard fly speed, wherein any load above light prevents any flight. So you get just exactly what the spell specifies, and no more.
    I'm sorry to spam this thread with a useless comment, but you, my good sir, are a genius. Thank you and always keep on posting here.

23. - Top - End - #3023
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rweird View Post
    Q 1486

Improved Familiar's familiar list is based on arcane spellcaster level. Does that mean a wizard 5/loremaster 2 or the like be able to get a Formian Worker (requires 7th level), or would it be restricted to a 5th level one (like a Shocker Lizard).
    Apparently this was missed. Reposting it.

24. - Top - End - #3024
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1486 5th level.

The rule is that prestige classes only improve your spellcaster level (level in a class which grants spellcasting) when they say so explicitly. An example:
    Improved Caster Level (Ex): A Green Star adept adds his class level to his caster level in another arcane spellcasting class to determine his effective spellcaster level.
    The Loremaster PrC adds to a spellcasting class's Spells per Day, but not to their spellcaster level.

25. - Top - End - #3025
    Titan in the Playground

Q 1494

What is the caster level of a major artifact, should it somehow become relevant?
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

26. - Top - End - #3026
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 1495

Can a Wizard/Sorcerer/Psion select the feat their familiar/psicrystal has?

My Homebrew-Estote clementes, et numquam desinete discere.-FanAdv

27. - Top - End - #3027
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1494 Ask your DM.

There is no answer to this except in a specific campaign if your DM decides it becomes relevant. As such, that DM gets to decide the answer.

A 1495 No.

Familiars and psicrystals are NPCs, and the DM makes decisions for all NPCs. Players may, of course, make suggestions to their DM. Failing that, their characters can get rid of the familiar or psicrystal through the normal means (death, dismissal, & c.) and try again.

28. - Top - End - #3028
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 1496
    The Archmage PrC (and most other PrCs that advance spellcasting) have the following rule:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD on Archmage
    When a new archmage level is gained, the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if he had also gained a level in whatever arcane spellcasting class in which he could cast 7th-level spells before he added the prestige class level. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.
    The Archmage PRC however lacks the following line common to most other PrCs that advance casting:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD on Eldritch Knight
    This essentially means that she adds the level of eldritch knight to the level of whatever other arcane spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day and caster level accordingly.
    Does that mean the the Archmage's caster Level stagnates while the character takes levels in that class?

29. - Top - End - #3029
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1496 Yes.

Note, however, the class has their Spell Power ability, which can help alleviate the CL stagnation. The Practiced Spellcaster feat may be beneficial to an Archmage character.

30. - Top - End - #3030

OldWizardGuy

Q1497 A phrenic creature with 5+ HD has the ability Body Adjustment. However the power is Psion/wilder 3, Psychic Warrior 2 so the base power points are 5 or 3. How many power points does the phrenic creature use for the base power to determine its augmenting?