New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 102 of 121 FirstFirst ... 252779293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112 ... LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,060 of 3609
  1. - Top - End - #3031
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXII

Q1498
    Ogres As Characters
    Racial Feats: An ogre’s giant levels give it two feats.
    It means, a character will get 2 bonus feats every 3-rd lvl or only at first?
    Beware my incredibly noobish questions!

2. - Top - End - #3032
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

A1498 No
    Ogres get 2 feats as part of their Racial Levels. Essentially receiving feats for for levels 1 and 3
    A single action cannot and should not define a character's alignment. While a single action can have an alignment, a character's alignment is the culmination of all actions taken, and most importantly the purpose and intent for why those actions were taken.
    My Homebrews:
    Alu-Fiend + Lesser Variant[PEACH]
    Benders, Avatar: The Last Airbender Inspired Classes [PEACH]

3. - Top - End - #3033
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Q 1494

What is the caster level of a major artifact, should it somehow become relevant?
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 1494 Ask your DM.

There is no answer to this except in a specific campaign if your DM decides it becomes relevant. As such, that DM gets to decide the answer.
    A 1494 Contention:

RAW, major artifacts have caster level listed in their entry.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

4. - Top - End - #3034
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    A 1494 Contention:

RAW, major artifacts have caster level listed in their entry.
    Where would that be? See pages 281-282 in Dungeon Master's Guide. There are caster levels listed for minor artifacts, but not for major artifacts.

5. - Top - End - #3035
    Titan in the Playground

Where would that be? See pages 281-282 in Dungeon Master's Guide. There are caster levels listed for minor artifacts, but not for major artifacts.
    Ah, I hadn't noticed the format was different in the two sections.

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #3036
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q1499 What is the max level of ranks you can have in a skill if one class that you are multiclassed in has it as a class skill and the other class has it as a nonclass skill?

7. - Top - End - #3037
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantom View Post
    Q1499 What is the max level of ranks you can have in a skill if one class that you are multiclassed in has it as a class skill and the other class has it as a nonclass skill?
    A1499
    If you have any class with a given skill as a class skill, the maximum level for that skill is set to the class skill maximum forever. You do not need to actually put any ranks in the skill for this to happen. You still pay double for buying them from cross-class skills.

My Homebrew-Estote clementes, et numquam desinete discere.-FanAdv

8. - Top - End - #3038
    Bugbear in the Playground

Okay, but now I have a follow up question

Q1500 What happens if you have a skill that was an crossclass skill and you put a few ranks in it, enough that you have gone pass the new class maximum when you multiclass to a new class?

9. - Top - End - #3039
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1500 N/A.

You are incapable of acquiring skill ranks that exceed the maximum allowed.

10. - Top - End - #3040
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantom View Post
    Q1500 What happens if you have a skill that was an crossclass skill and you put a few ranks in it, enough that you have gone pass the new class maximum when you multiclass to a new class?
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/skillsSummary.htm

A: 1500: Regardless of whether a skill is purchased as a class skill or a cross-class skill, if it is a class skill for any of your classes, your maximum rank equals your total character level + 3.

So, the "new class maximum" is the same as whatever the old, class-skill maximum, was.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2013-04-29 at 04:16 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

11. - Top - End - #3041
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q 1501 Can a bard use bardic music with a Horn of Fog, to get both the bardic music effect and the fog effect in one turn?
    Pokemon: Shikoku Region
    OOC IC Marcus Goldwater

Pokemon: The End Times
    OOC IC
    These are my pokemons. Let me show you them.
    Beedrill Gastly Oddish

12. - Top - End - #3042
    Titan in the Playground

A 1500 continued:
    If you bought ranks cross-class, and then switch to a class that has that as a class skill, your skill ranks don't increase. You just bought them inefficiently.

Q 1502:

If a monster has nonstandard damage of some sort, and the monster's size is increased, does the nonstandard damage increase as normal? The two specific examples I'm thinking of are monsters which do energy damage (like fire elementals) and monsters which do ability score damage (like dire weasels).

Q 1503:

If a warforged becomes a Dragonborn of Bahamut, it loses (among other things) its Composite Plating ability, and thus would presumably now be considered unarmored. Is the same true if the warforged has the Adamantium Body feat? Could this be used to make a Warforged Juggernaut monk, and keep the monk's abilities?
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

13. - Top - End - #3043
    Troll in the Playground

A 1503

you will still benefit from the adamantine feat. the feat itself prevents you from using druid stuff and anything you couldn't use in heavy armor.

Special: Unlike most feats, this feat must be taken at
    1st level during character creation. Warforged druids
    who take this feat cannot cast druid spells or use any
    of the druid’s supernatural or spell-like class features.
    Warforged characters with this feat do not gain the
    benefit of any class feature prohibited to a character
    wearing heavy armor.
    edit: never mind. you lose benefit of this feat because you do not meet the warforged prerequisite anymore since you are dragonborn.
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2013-04-29 at 08:18 PM.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

14. - Top - End - #3044
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1502 No.

Energy and other types of damage only increase with size when explicitly stated. The examples you listed do not have any statements of this sort. Most monsters increase damage only with increasing racial hit dice, not other types of size increase.

15. - Top - End - #3045
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q 1504:

"Using a whip provokes an attack of opportunity, just as if you had used a ranged weapon," but when making a disarm attempt, "(If you have the Improved Disarm feat, you don't incur an attack of opportunity for making a disarm attempt.)"

I know specific trumps general, but when making a disarm attempt with a whip with Improved Disarm, do you provoke an AoO or not?
    Pokemon: Shikoku Region
    OOC IC Marcus Goldwater

Pokemon: The End Times
    OOC IC
    These are my pokemons. Let me show you them.
    Beedrill Gastly Oddish

16. - Top - End - #3046
    Titan in the Playground

A1504 If making a disarm attempt with a whip without Improved Disarm, you provoke not one but two AoOs: one for anyone who threatens your square, because you've used a whip, and one for whoever you're trying to disarm (and only them). Improved Disarm removes the second, but not the first. The clause "for making a disarm attempt" limits it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

17. - Top - End - #3047
    Troll in the Playground

A 1486 5th level.

The rule is that prestige classes only improve your spellcaster level (level in a class which grants spellcasting) when they say so explicitly. The Loremaster PrC adds to a spellcasting class's Spells per Day, but not to their spellcaster level.
    A 1486 correction

The SRD has this to say in re the Loremaster:

This essentially means that she adds the level of loremaster to the level of some other spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day, spells known, and caster level accordingly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

18. - Top - End - #3048
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

Hello.

Q 1505: Could a character (assuming that dm is plaing with custom item rules (as written by DMG)) imbue various "spell effect/spell like" [spell trigger/command word/Continuous] on an armor?

Q 1506: If he could, what's the ruling/rulings for counting the gp price?

Q 1507: What is the rule for adding other "spell effect/spell like" [spell trigger/command word/Continuous] on a magic item that already have one /more that one after it is crafted?

for reference SRD - Creating Magic Items
    Last edited by TheG; 2013-04-30 at 02:07 AM.

19. - Top - End - #3049
    Titan in the Playground

A1505: Yes. Magic armor is just another type of magic item, and there are existing examples of command word or continuous effects. (For instance, the Winged Shield precisely conforms to +3 heavy wooden shield with an additional 3 level * 5 CL * 1800 command word / (5/1 charges per day) * 1.5 uncustomary slot, for a total cost of 17257 gp, right down to the cp.)

A1506: As usual for Wondrous Items or similar. Note that because Craft Magic Arms and Armor does not have an entry indicating free-form estimation, you may need to select the Craft Wondrous Item feat as well in order to make such an item.

A1507: On the previously mentioned estimation table, multiply each of the lower item costs by 1.5 and add them all together.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

20. - Top - End - #3050
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    A1507: On the previously mentioned estimation table, multiply each of the lower item costs by 1.5 and add them all together.
    Correction, it is not the lower cost effects that get multiplied but any added effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    If the item is one that occupies a specific place on a character’s body the cost of adding any additional ability to that item increases by 50%. For example, if a character adds the power to confer invisibility to her ring of protection +2, the cost of adding this ability is the same as for creating a ring of invisibility multiplied by 1.5.
    So get the expensive stuff first.

21. - Top - End - #3051
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 1486 correction
    Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    The SRD has this to say in re the Loremaster:
    That's not a correction; rather it's a confusion on your part between caster level and spellcaster level. Improved Familiar is dependent on arcane spellcaster level, and improvements to caster level, but not spellcaster level, will not help to gain a more advanced familiar.

22. - Top - End - #3052
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q1508: I think I may have asked this before, but it either wasn't answered or I can't remember the answer: how does Detect Magic interact with Supernatural and Spell-Like abilities? I'm specifically interested in whether it would detect a Barghest in one of its alternate forms (goblin or wolf), or whether a Hag Eye (from the Hag entry in the Monster Manual) would detect as magic, but am also curious about how it interacts with these types of abilities in general.

For the Hag Eye, I would assume it detects except that the Monster Manual entry specifies "[A Hag Eye] appears to be nothing more than a semiprecious stone, but a gem of seeing or other such effect reveals it as a disembodied eye" suggesting that it may appear to be a semiprecious stone to anything but True Seeing type effects. Or am I reading too much into that?
    Last edited by Mongrel; 2013-04-30 at 12:55 PM.

23. - Top - End - #3053
    Troll in the Playground

Re: A 1486 correction
    That's not a correction; rather it's a confusion on your part between caster level and spellcaster level. Improved Familiar is dependent on arcane spellcaster level, and improvements to caster level, but not spellcaster level, will not help to gain a more advanced familiar.
    Please cite evidence that those are not synonyms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

24. - Top - End - #3054
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 1509: Is the activation of power attack feat just something you choose to do anytime you are able to attack, or is it only able to be turned on, during my turn?
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

25. - Top - End - #3055
    Ettin in the Playground

A 1509
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    On your action, before making attack rolls for a round, you may choose to subtract a number from all melee attack rolls and add the same number to all melee damage rolls. This number may not exceed your base attack bonus. The penalty on attacks and bonus on damage apply until your next turn.
    At no other time can you set the penalty.

26. - Top - End - #3056
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    A 1509
    At no other time can you set the penalty.
    DOH sure enough right there it is and I over looked it LOL.

I think what he's saying is spellcasting level vs caster level. One determines DC for spells, one determines how you gain new spells per level and spells per day ect.
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

27. - Top - End - #3057
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 1510

A rogue is made ethereal by a spell; sneaks up behind an enemy; inserts his currently ethereal blade in the enemy's back; spell is dismissed. Has the rogue just made a guaranteed hit with the blade?

28. - Top - End - #3058
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gazebo's Bane View Post
    Q 1510

A rogue is made ethereal by a spell; sneaks up behind an enemy; inserts his currently ethereal blade in the enemy's back; spell is dismissed. Has the rogue just made a guaranteed hit with the blade?
    A 1510

No. Should any part of the Rogue appear in a solid object, they are shunted out of the way.

Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #3059
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 1486
    I already did that in the original answer, here. Also see the D&D® Frequently Asked Questions document on page 30 for a clear answer which makes the distinction between these terms.

A 1510 additional info

Let's start by noting that this scenario is impossible in D&D because the game lacks "facing": it's impossible to "sneak up behind an enemy". It is possible to sneak up on an enemy using the Hide skill, but you cannot do so on a different plane of existence.
    Unlike incorporeal creatures, ethereal creatures are not present on the Material Plane.
    An ethereal creature can see and hear into the Material Plane in a 60-foot radius, though material objects still block sight and sound. ... An ethereal creature can’t affect the Material Plane, not even magically.
    Regardless of spell shenanigans, the above restriction applies. A dagger left in the Ethereal Plane corresponding to where the intended attack target is located in the Material Plane remains in the Ethereal Plane. Either the dagger is attended and accompanies the ethereal Rogue, in which case Urpriest's answer applies; or the dagger is unattended and remains in the Ethereal Plane when the spell ends.

30. - Top - End - #3060
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

So, noob-esque question here, but I keep hearing about the tier system on this board. I was wondering, where can I find a full listing of the tiers?

Also some of the terminology such as RAW and MAD (Others as well, but those are the two that spring to mind off the top of my head) keep throwing me off. I've played D&D 3.5, and a few other games for a couple of years, but it's mostly been offline so I'm unfamiliar with a lot of these phrases.