New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 103 of 121 FirstFirst ... 3537893949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,090 of 3609
  1. - Top - End - #3061
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXII

Quote Originally Posted by angry_bear View Post
    So, noob-esque question here, but I keep hearing about the tier system on this board. I was wondering, where can I find a full listing of the tiers?

Also some of the terminology such as RAW and MAD (Others as well, but those are the two that spring to mind off the top of my head) keep throwing me off. I've played D&D 3.5, and a few other games for a couple of years, but it's mostly been offline so I'm unfamiliar with a lot of these phrases.
    This isn't really a RAW question as such, but here's a description of the tier system, and a listing of a number of abbreviations.
    Last edited by TuggyNE; 2013-04-30 at 10:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

2. - Top - End - #3062
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    This isn't really a RAW question as such, but here's a description of the tier system, and a listing of a number of abbreviations.
    That's perfect, thank you.

3. - Top - End - #3063
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 1511 I've heard about something called Iaijutsu referred around the board a few times. What is it, and is it good?

4. - Top - End - #3064
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1511

Oriental Adventures introduced a new skill called Iaijutsu Focus; see pages 58-59. Whether that skill is "good" is outside the scope of simple answers required for this thread.

5. - Top - End - #3065
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantom View Post
    Q 1511 I've heard about something called Iaijutsu referred around the board a few times. What is it, and is it good?
    A1511: Iaijutsu Focus is a 3.0 Cha-based skill from Oriental Adventurers (if memory serves) which allows you to gain extra d6s based on your skill check result, up to a certain max, when you draw your weapon and attack a flat-footed enemy. It's a fairly popular target for certain types of cheese, but without that it's not tremendously effective. (Unlike sneak attack, the enemy has to be really flat-footed, not merely denied their Dex.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

6. - Top - End - #3066
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Re: A 1486

I already did that in the original answer, here.

A 1486 5th level.

The rule is that prestige classes only improve your spellcaster level (level in a class which grants spellcasting) when they say so explicitly. An example:
    Improved Caster Level (Ex): A Green Star adept adds his class level to his caster level in another arcane spellcasting class to determine his effective spellcaster level.
    The Loremaster PrC adds to a spellcasting class's Spells per Day, but not to their spellcaster level.
    Entirely inconclusive. The Loremaster text does not say that it does not add to a "spellcaster level"--all it says is that it does add to spells/day and caster level.

Also see the D&D® Frequently Asked Questions document on page 30 for a clear answer which makes the distinction between these terms.
    Now, this is more convincing. Is the FAQ included in strict RAW?

If so, then "spellcaster level" is definitely different from "caster level", as you say. However, I'm still not entirely certain that disqualifies the original poster's character. The FAQ's example only has one level in a spellcasting class; the original questioner's character has all seven levels in arcane spellcasting classes. The FAQ does not specifically rule out the case where the character really does have enough spellcasting levels, but they are in different classes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

7. - Top - End - #3067
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    Is the FAQ included in strict RAW?
    No. FAQ can clarify the rules written in the books, but they are not rules themselves. Most certainly they cannot contradict/alter any published rules.

8. - Top - End - #3068
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Q1512:
    If you multiclass Swordsage and Rogue: Ss 9/Rog 2 - Does your Evasion become Improved evasion as you gain your 2nd evasion, or does it become redundant when you gain it from two different classes that are not PrC's?

Q1513:
    Unarmed swordsage assuming you use the variant(?) rule about SS wis to AC working when wearing no armour (as most people assume it was intended with the unarmed version): Does this stack with Monk's Belt?

I know it's hard to answer RAW, as per RAW the SS ac bonus only works with light armour.

-Thanks.
    "If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance."

9. - Top - End - #3069
    Ettin in the Playground

A 1512

Unlike Uncanny Dodge, Evasion has no rule for getting upgraded by receiving another instance of Evasion. So Swordsage 9/Rogue 2 would get evasion twice.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2013-05-01 at 02:49 AM.

10. - Top - End - #3070

smile Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXII

Q1514: Aside from the granted power of the Exorcism domain, are there any other ways to perform an exorcism or attack a possessing spirit? If there are many, a short list of major examples would be much appreciated.
    Spoiler
    Show
    We now go to Preaplanes with the dungeon crawl deal. Prea?
    I'M FIGHTIN' TARRASQUE!
    Sounds rough, Prea, do you have a caster?
    HAD ONE!
    Where is it now?
    IN A FORCECAGE TWO DAYS AWAY!
    Is there anything we can do for you?
    BRING ME SOME SCROLLS!
    What kind?
    MIRACLE!

Accidental Character Reference in D&D 3.5

11. - Top - End - #3071

OldWizardGuy

partial A1514

Lvl 13 spirit shaman.
    "If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance."

12. - Top - End - #3072
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Q1515:
    What is the exact wild shape level of this character?

Druid 1 / Divine Minion of Sebek 1 / Master of Many Forms 8 He also has "The Skin of Kaletor" (from Dragon #324) and "Amulet of Wildshape" (from Magic of Faerun) both gives +4 unnamed wildshape level bonus.
    Guns don't kill people, magic missiles do!

13. - Top - End - #3073
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1513 No.

I'll give you both answers here. As you pointed out, the standard Swordsage's AC Bonus only works in light armor. The AC Bonus Monk class feature (which is what the Monk's Belt grants, for a particular Monk level) only works in no armor. There is no possibility of these two bonuses combining. However, if you had both you could get a (slightly different) boost to AC whether you were wearing light armor or no armor, because the two overlap.

Assuming the "and remove his light armor proficiency" clause of the Unarmed Swordsage Adaptation means you also change the Swordsage's AC Bonus class feature to only work with no armor, you would also have two instances of AC Bonus, with the Monk's Belt providing 1 greater than the Swordsage benefit. Again, two instances of a bonus from the same named source would overlap rather than stack.

14. - Top - End - #3074
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 1516: With the tumble skill it states:

DC 15: Tumble at one-half speed as part of normal movement, provoking no attacks of opportunity while doing so. Failure means you provoke attacks of opportunity normally. Check separately for each opponent you move past, in the order in which you pass them (player’s choice of order in case of a tie). Each additional enemy after the first adds +2 to the Tumble DC.
    Now in this example:
    Spoiler
    Show

If I tumble in the direction it indicates is this going to be a DC 15 (since I'm not moving past any creatures), or DC 21 (since I am moving away from three threatened squares)?
    Last edited by killem2; 2013-05-01 at 09:47 AM.
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

15. - Top - End - #3075
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1516 DC 19.

"Each opponent you move past" is relative to the creatures' threatened areas. If the list of opponents were unrelated to their threatened areas you would increase the DC for all creatures in a line perpendicular to your direction of travel without limit (thus including all creatures "passed" by extending that line completely around the world). But by basing this list instead on the creatures who threaten you, you must include the areas they threaten rather than just the creatures themselves. Assuming the three creatures in your example all threaten the square you leave, the Tumble DC is 15 for the first creature, with +2 for each of the two additional creatures, for a total DC of 19.

16. - Top - End - #3076

BlackDragon

Partial A1514:

Complete Divine has the Sacred Exorcist, who can "force a possessing creature or spirit out of the body it inhabits". Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss has the spell Exorcism, which is level 1 for clerics and paladins.
    Effects that allow you to turn/destroy/vanish undead or outsiders (Turn Anathema spell from Complete Champion) might also work, depending on the creature doing the possession.

Q 1517:

Can a character with the Mage Slayer feat tell when a caster he's grappling/pinning is casting a Silent Stilled spell with Eschew Materials?
    : I may be in error, but I believe the appropiate proclamation is "Sneak Attack, bitch."

Thoughts on fanfiction.

17. - Top - End - #3077
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1517 No.

Mage Slayer prevents a spellcaster from casting defensively. It doesn't give the feat holder any information.

18. - Top - End - #3078

BlackDragon

Q 1517 Expanded:

So, is Mage Slayer always active regardless of whether or not the character knows if a spell is being cast?
    : I may be in error, but I believe the appropiate proclamation is "Sneak Attack, bitch."

Thoughts on fanfiction.

19. - Top - End - #3079
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1517 Expanded: Yes.

The only requirement for Mage Slayer to work is that the feat holder threatens the spellcaster.

20. - Top - End - #3080
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q1518

So I have a crusader/warblade that is leapfrogging.
    He is now 8Crusader/1Warblade /1Crusader.

I've gotten myself confused, is my crusader initiator lvl now 10 and my warblade initiator lvl 6?

and what's the highest amount of maneuvres I can have from my crusader in each level? If you take it that Ill swap the lowest levels out with highest when possible. (hope my question makes sense, but English isn't my native language)
    Spoiler: Arcivus Luscient
    Show

HP: 204/204
    AC: 22
    Stats: 25, 10, 18, 10, 12, 20
    Passive Perception: 11
    Saving Throws: Str 8 (13), Dex 1 (6), Con 11 (16), Wis 8 (13), Cha 11 (17)
    Aura of Protection +5 to all Saves for everyone within 30ft
    Aura of Courage/Devotion immunity to Frighten/Charm for everyone within 30ft
    Always under effect of Protection to Evil and Good

21. - Top - End - #3081
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Q1519
    Necropolitan
    Undead type:
    - No Constitution score.
    If warrior become a necropolitan, can he take feats with CON condition?
    Beware my incredibly noobish questions!

22. - Top - End - #3082
    Ettin in the Playground

A 1519

He cannot take any feats that have a certain CON score as prerequisite. He does not have a CON score, so he does not have a CON score of X or more either.

He would also lose access to any feats he already has which require a certain CON score.

23. - Top - End - #3083
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Q1520
    After becoming a necropolitan, a character must reroll his past hit dice?
    Beware my incredibly noobish questions!

24. - Top - End - #3084
    Ogre in the Playground

A 1520: Yes. He does not, however, roll d12s for future hit dice.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

25. - Top - End - #3085
    Troll in the Playground

A 1515

by RAW you have an illegal character. you never qualified for Master of Many Forms. divine minion give you fast wild shape witch acts like wild shape but isn't actually wild shape. even if it was wild shape it is not a class feature and does not fulfill the "wild shape class feature" prerequisite.

in short you have a zero wild shape level.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

26. - Top - End - #3086

Q 1521 When using the special full-round action charge, may the designated opponent be an inanimate unattended object?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbacz
    For some people, at-will non-mundane martial abilities = wuxia anime = MMOs = 4E = Hitler = dead kittens.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic is silly, and has little place in the real world.

27. - Top - End - #3087

Q1522: Is there any way to prevent an ongoing spell from detecting as magical? (My paranoid character has a Ring of Chameleon Power with a Nystul's Magic Aura crafted-in effect suppressing the aura of the item; I realized too late that the Disguise Self illusion would still detect as magical, and therefore suspicious.)

28. - Top - End - #3088
    Troll in the Playground

A 1521

Attacking on a Charge

After moving, you may make a single melee attack. You get a +2 bonus on the attack roll and take a -2 penalty to your AC until the start of your next turn.

A charging character gets a +2 bonus on the Strength check made to bull rush an opponent.

Even if you have extra attacks, such as from having a high enough base attack bonus or from using multiple weapons, you only get to make one attack during a charge.
    you can attack any legal target including objects.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

29. - Top - End - #3089

Q 1523 May an inanimate object such as a door or wall be the designated opponent of a charge attack?
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    You must move before your attack, not after. You must move at least 10 feet (2 squares) and may move up to double your speed directly toward the designated opponent.
    Q 1524 At the end of a charge may a different opponent (within reach) than the one designated be attacked or bull rushed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbacz
    For some people, at-will non-mundane martial abilities = wuxia anime = MMOs = 4E = Hitler = dead kittens.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic is silly, and has little place in the real world.

30. - Top - End - #3090
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1523 Yes.

Anything which has an AC can be an opponent of an attack roll. Attack vs. AC is just an instance of the core mechanic in D&D: roll d20, add some modifiers, and compare to an opposing number. Attack vs. AC, as with skill check vs. DC, is a check opposed by a fixed number. (Actually, there are some uncommon instances — usually involving a spell — where AC will involve a die roll rather than be fixed). An inanimate object is just as much a valid attack target as a helpless creature.

A 1524 Probably not.

To be a valid attack target at the end of a charge, all of the charge movement restrictions must apply: line of sight, straight line movement, no hindrance, nearest square from which you can attack. Only if multiple opponents satisfy all those criteria with the same ending square can you choose among them. This could be the case, for example, if you were attacking Tiny or smaller opponents sharing a square.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2013-05-01 at 10:18 PM.