New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 121 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122233863113 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Banned

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXII

Quote Originally Posted by Epicfaillol View Post
    Q 199
    How does enchanting works within the 3.5 edition?
    Some enchantments demand to be payed in gold, others with +1, +2 and other such bonuses and only masterwork weapons can be enchanted.
    Don't have an answer, but as a friendly tip from someone who does the same, you might want to avoid saying "enchantment" in this context, given that it's actually a school of spells for messing with people's minds (and thus one of the least likely to be placed on an object). "Enhanced" is generally the preferred word for what you want. I'm guessing that, like me, you may be coming from Magic: the Gathering with this usage? It's tempting and probably won't actually confuse anybody, but something to keep in mind.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A197
    Quote Originally Posted by Empower Spell-Like Ability
    The creature can only select a spell-like ability duplicating a spell with a level less than or equal to half its caster level (round down) -2.
    By RAW, this means that ESLA (And MSLA) can't be applied to Eldritch Blast, with Glaive or no.

Edit: I missed the part about Eldritch Blast being the equivalent of a spell. In this case, a single use of ESLA and MSLA only applies to the first blast of the full-attack.
    Correction: Upon closer reading, Eldritch Glaive only creates the glaive, it doesn't make the attack roll, so ESLA and MSLA would allow you to do extra damage on each attack of the full-attack.

A198
    Nothing. The Ur-Priest does not gain additional spells/day pre-epic.

A199
    This question does not have a simple answer, and should probably be its own topic. For relevant rules, see here. For a quick rundown:
    1. A weapon or armor must be masterwork (which costs a slight amount extra).
    2. A crafter must have the Craft Magic Weapons and Armor feat. Other requirements are given in the Creating Magic items section and under the specific ability you want to add to a weapon. If you are paying a blacksmith to do this for you, ignore this point.
    3. They take the item, disappear for a few days into a place where they won't get attacked, and improve it.
    3a. They pay money and xp. The amount of money you pay depends on the bonus (+1 is 2000gp for a weapon, 1000gp for armor, +2 is 4000gp for a weapon, etc). XP cost is a function of the price.
    3b. Weapons and armor can have up to +5 straight bonus, and up to +5 in abilities. If the ability has a Base Price Modifier (like Bane is +1), then you can put that and another +4 worth of abilities on it, and +5 worth of straight bonus (Edit: see below). The straight bonus on weapons is added to melee attacks and damage. The straight bonus on armor is added to AC.
    3c. Weapons and armor must have at least a +1 straight bonus first to have any special abilities.
    Last edited by rockdeworld; 2012-12-16 at 02:19 AM.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Q200

Does the Hierophant's Divine Reach ability function with spells cast from items, such as scrolls, wands, or staves?

4. - Top - End - #364
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Q201
    When my familiar gets my HD, does he also get skill points and feats and all the things related to HD or just stays simply a fancy critter?

5. - Top - End - #365
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Don't have an answer, but as a friendly tip from someone who does the same, you might want to avoid saying "enchantment" in this context, given that it's actually a school of spells for messing with people's minds (and thus one of the least likely to be placed on an object). "Enhanced" is generally the preferred word for what you want. I'm guessing that, like me, you may be coming from Magic: the Gathering with this usage? It's tempting and probably won't actually confuse anybody, but something to keep in mind.
    actually, i play the game in french and we usually come to say enchantment because thats what it is, its a magical property imbued into the weapon permanently through magical means. so basically it was a language barrier thing but yes, i do, or at least did, play magic and i see where you are going with this.
    Avatar by Ceika, she's awesome, she deserves your cookies.
    old avatar
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Even if Curmudgeon's interpretation is the technically correct RAW, I believe that I am justified in saying I would like to hear a "RAW as apparent to the community as a whole" answer from someone else...call it "de facto" RAW rather than "de jure", or something to that effect. In a "typical" campaign, rather than Curmudeon's, would it be deemed reasonable per RAW-as-commonly-interpreted to start as a 1-HD Half-Dragon with 1 class level? If so, would this allow you to select "Half-Dragon Paragon" as your class for that level?
    If that's what you want, start a new thread for it. This thread is for RAW answers only.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    If that's what you want, start a new thread for it. This thread is for RAW answers only.
    As I said what I'm looking for is RAW, just "RAW according to most people" rather than "RAW as interpreted by Curmudgeon", even if he's technically correct.

8. - Top - End - #368

A 201 A familiar does not actually gain your HD. Whenever an ability or effect references the number of HD your familiar has (such as the spell Sleep), it substitutes your character level instead.

Quote Originally Posted by d20srd
    Familiars
    [..]
    Hit Dice
    For the purpose of effects related to number of Hit Dice, use the master’s character level or the familiar’s normal HD total, whichever is higher.
    Q 202

Can a Cleric apply metamagic to spells he converts spontaneously into Cure spells?

9. - Top - End - #369
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

As I said what I'm looking for is RAW, just "RAW according to most people" rather than "RAW as interpreted by Curmudgeon", even if he's technically correct.
    No, what you are looking for is other interpretations and opinions of the RAW, which means it is no longer a simple question with a simple answer. The correct procedure for resolving a disputed answer as layed out in the first post of this thread is to start a new thread for your question. That is where you'll get the opinions you seek.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2012-12-12 at 09:42 PM.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 202

Yes, through Metamagic Rods. As a prepared spellcaster, the Cleric has no inherent ability to apply metamagic spontaneously to any spell. Doing so will turn every casting into a full-round action.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

A202 correction

As per the "Spontaneous Casting and Metamagic Feats" section of the general description of metamagic feats, clerics can naturally apply any metamagic feat they have to the spells they cast spontaneously. Doing so incurs the same casting time increase as for Sorcerers and other spontaneous casters, but does not require anything beyond the metamagic feat and the spell slot.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 203: If I have 5 ranks in bluff, and 5 ranks in sense motive, do I get +4 to Diplomacy or only +2.
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

13. - Top - End - #373
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 202

Thanks for the correction, douglas.

A 203 +4

These bonuses to your Diplomacy check are untyped and from different sources, so they stack.

14. - Top - End - #374

Q 204 The Craven feat requires that you not be immune to fear. Does having a restricted immunity prevent you from taking it? Specifically, I'm interested in whether a 3rd level or higher Skullclan Hunter (Miniatures Handbook p20) qualifies.

"At 3rd level, he gains immunity to all fear-based effects and spells from undead."

Q 205 A ninth level Swiftblade can take 2 standard actions and a move action during his turn. Could he use both the standard actions to make attacks and gain full benefit of Spring Attack, Bounding Assault, and Rapid Blitz twice?
    Last edited by Kumori; 2012-12-13 at 01:56 AM.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 204 No.

As long as you're still vulnerable to some fear effects, you qualify for Craven.

A 205

This is an individual DM's call, since the rules aren't clear. The updated version of Spring Attack, from the Special Edition Player's Handbook 3.5, says:
    When using the attack action with a melee weapon, you can split your move action in that round in order to move both before and after the attack, provided that your total distance moved is not greater than your speed.
    The singular use of "the attack" might be stretched to include "the full attack action", but it wouldn't cover two separate actions. The rules don't actually exclude this combination, though. Ultimately it's a DM's call.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    No, what you are looking for is other interpretations and opinions of the RAW, which means it is no longer a simple question with a simple answer. The correct procedure for resolving a disputed answer as layed out in the first post of this thread is to start a new thread for your question. That is where you'll get the opinions you seek.
    Fine. Moving on....

Q206
    Are there any differences in template eligibility between Living Constructs and normal Constructs? In other words, do any templates exist which can be applied to Construct-type monsters but not to those with the Living Construct subtype, or vice versa? Specifically, if the template says it can be applied to "any living creature" (which I assume excludes undead and deathless as well as normal constructs since they "were never alive"), can Living Constructs have that template? (Saint is an example.)
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-12-13 at 02:53 AM.

17. - Top - End - #377

OldWizardGuy

Q207:

Not sure this has been covered in this long thread, so excuse me if it's been up allready.

Say i am a sorcerer with rapid metamagic and quicken spell feats.

On my initiative can i theoretically cast the following string of examples:

-quickened fireball [free action]
    -swift expeditious retreat [swift action]
    -chain lightning [using the rest of my actions left this round]

Or does the rules (citation please) prevent me from casting more than 2 spells per round even if my action economy that round allows for it?

Q208:

Using the example above, and removing the quickened fireball casting, would that still work with the swift expedition retreat + another normal spell?
    "If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance."

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground

A207

Yes, if you use the Player's Handbook 1-defition of Quickened Spell, which does make it a free action.

Should you use the updated definition of Quickened Spell in the SRD, then Quickened Spell becomes a swift action.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 207 No.

If you ever cast Swift Expeditious Retreat you've read the supplementary rules introducing swift actions (page 4 of the same book):
    Casting a quickened spell is a swift action (instead of a free action, as stated in the Quicken Spell feat description in the Player’s Handbook).
    Quicken Spell results in a spell castable as a free action only if swift actions do not exist in the game. Thus the rules do prevent you from casting more than 2 spells in a round (barring special abilities).

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A200
    Yes. Nothing restricts it from magic items, or restricts it to prepared/spontaneous spells.

A206
    Yes. You can apply Saint to a Living Construct (eg. Warforged, and Saint Dragonborn Warforged is a powerful, cheesy race). A living construct is a living creature with a Con score, a regular construct is not with Con -.
    Quote Originally Posted by From Page 312 of the Monster Manual
    Constitution: Any living creature has at least 1 point of Constitution. A creature with no Constitution has no body (a spectre, for example) or no metabolism (a golem).
    A208
    Yes, you have 1 swift action, 1 move action, and 1 standard action per turn (or 1 swift action and 1 full-round action), so you could cast Swift Expeditious Retreat + another spell that requires a Standard or Full-Round Action to cast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift Actions
    You can perform one swift action per turn without affecting your ability to perform other actions.
    Last edited by rockdeworld; 2012-12-13 at 06:19 PM.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q 209

Is the blue glow from the eyes of a creature under the effect of arcane sight and invisibility visible, allowing observers to pinpoint the creature's location?

22. - Top - End - #382
    Banned

Q210
    How exactly does Catapsi work? Say I'm a level 5 psion and I try to manifest Mind Thrust while within a Catapsi field. Which of the following scenarios is true?
    a) I choose to manifest Mind Thrust, then I attempt a Will save. The save fails, so I must spend +4 pp; I choose to manifest without augmentation, pay the extra pp, and the power occurs.
    b) I choose to manifest Mind Thrust, choose to augment the power, then I attempt a Will save. The save fails, so I cannot afford to augment as planned, but manifest without augmentation and spend the extra pp to make the power occur.
    c) I choose to manifest Mind Thrust, choose to augment the power, then I attempt a Will save. The save fails, so my planned augmentation is impossible and the power fails.
    d) I choose to manifest Mind Thrust, refuse to pay the extra PP, and must therefore make a Will save; when this fails, the power is not manifested. By choosing to make the save, I waive the option of spending the extra PP.
    e) Some other scenario I've overlooked.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 209 Maybe, depending on illumination.

Invisibility keeps the source of the light from being seen, but in a pitch black environment a faint blue glow in the square(s) of the creature with Arcane Sight would be visible. Invisibility does not suppress the illumination, but does make its position impossible to determine so the creature cannot be targeted. Effectively, the blue eye glow of Arcane Sight would be dispersed throughout the creature's square(s). In normal illumination this diffuse blue light would be hard to notice. It would be apparent if there were no ambient light, though.

24. - Top - End - #384

OldWizardGuy

Q211 If A Radiant Servant of Pelor (CD) has the Sun domain chosen as a domain, does the extra greater turning the class gets include the sun domain's greater turning? I.E. Is the 3+cha from the class inclusive of the sun domain's power or exclusive and I get 4+cha per day?

Edit Q212 If a cleric takes Improved Spell Capacity (SRD) do they get an extra domain spell as well as extra normal spells?
    Last edited by cd4; 2012-12-13 at 12:44 PM.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

A 210:
    I'm pretty sure the order of operation is:
    1. Declare your attempt.
    2. Roll your Save
    2a. Succeed, use your power normally
    2b. Fail, expend your extra PP to use your psionic ability
    2c. Fail, exceed your limit, ability fails, no PP is used.
    3. End your turn. (Using a Psi-like ability is a full-round action)

So a,b and c are all possible.

Q 213:
    What's the Spellcraft (or if not Spellcraft, which check) DC for identifying the effects of Energy Drain, when it is a Supernatural Ability? i.e. Succubus Energy Drain kiss, MM1, pg. 47
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2012-12-13 at 03:06 PM.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

26. - Top - End - #386
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Q214: The Wild Talent feat gives a character 2 power points, allowing them to take psionic, metapsionic, and psionic item creation feats. All psionic item creation feats have a manifester level as a prerequisite, though. What is the manifester level of a character with Wild Talent for the purpose of qualifying for feats?

Q215: Can the Practiced Spellcaster feat be taken to boost the caster level of a creature's innate spell-like abilities?
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2012-12-13 at 04:04 PM.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 214 None.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD - Wild Talent
    You do not, however, gain the ability to manifest powers simply by virtue of having this feat.
    As the feat does not provide you with the ability to manifest psionic powers or psi-like abilities, there is no associated manifester level granted simply by having this feat. You would need some other source of powers or PLAs to establish that.

28. - Top - End - #388

Q216
    If a Swiftblade uses Perpetual Options to make a move action and a full attack, would he benefit from using a weapon of Speed?

29. - Top - End - #389

OldWizardGuy

Q217 If a weapon has magebane and another bane as properties and attacks a target that meets both conditions do they stack?
    I am wondering what would happen with an undead-bane mage-bane weapon hits a lich or similiar. Do I gain +4 enhancement +4d6 damage or something lower?

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ettin in the Playground

A 199 Slight Correction

Quote Originally Posted by rockdeworld View Post
    3b. Weapons and armor can have up to +5 straight bonus, and up to +5 in abilities. If the ability has a Base Price Modifier (like Bane is +1), then you can put that and another +4 worth of abilities on it, and +5 worth of straight bonus. The straight bonus on weapons is added to melee attacks and damage. The straight bonus on armor is added to AC.
    That is not quite correct. There is no fixed limit on the special abilities. The only limit is that the total enhancement bonus may not exceed +10 and there is no real enhancement bonus above +5 (without epic crafting). You could have a real enhancement bonus of +1 and special abilities worth +9.

This may have been forgotten:
    Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Q 197

If a warlock uses Empower/Maximize Spell-like Ability on the Eldritch Glaive invocation, is the damage of all attacks empowered/maximized?

Q 198

What happens if a character with Ur-Priest levels uses another PrC to advance his Ur-Priest Casting beyond level 10, pre epic?