New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 121 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954104 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXII

Quote Originally Posted by RustyNails View Post
    Q 51
    I DM an elf Ranger who keeps having her horse killed. *cackle* Or left behind exposed while they go dungeon-delving.
    Are there any non-magical feats or items that can be used to dismiss the horse to some safe distance, and then call it again, so long as it stays within a mile perhaps, or hearing distance? I know I could just cook up some special whistle or something, but I wanted to see if there was something official.
    Maybe I could just have her train it with said whistle to 'come', and as long as it's in ear shot it'll work..?
    Still though, looking for official resources.
    A51: She could have magical reins of reduce animal so the horse can come with her into the dungeon. 12,000gp is a permanent one at will but if you make it maybe 2-3 times a day for 3-hours each charge than the price knocks down to maybe 6k. Apart from that I could not find a wondrous item that would do any dismissing or anything.

Q52: Does an empower spell boost the amount of creatures summoned by summon monster/nature's ally. If so would it be 1d4+1 than double the result or is it 2d4+1?
    Last edited by mishka_shaw; 2012-11-19 at 05:28 AM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Ianuagonde View Post
    Q34 Can the Heal skill be used to see if someone is sick, as in, suffering from a disease?
    Overlooked, or unsolvable?

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by killem2 View Post
    A 41: It depends on a few factors.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/wilderness.htm

Scroll down or control + f and put in: Table: Combat Adjustments Underwater
    "None of the above"

4. - Top - End - #94

DruidGirl

A34: Since the heal skill can be used to cure disease and poison [DC is disease DC] than most would argue that it can be used to detect illness too.

edit: Turns out that spell was 3rd edition Oriental Adventures.
    Still a DC20 heal check is as close enough to a rule as you could probably find since looking through the complete books, there isn't any validation as to what you need to roll to detect a disease with just heal.
    Last edited by mishka_shaw; 2012-11-19 at 08:25 AM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mishka_shaw View Post
    Q52: Does an empower spell boost the amount of creatures summoned by summon monster/nature's ally. If so would it be 1d4+1 than double the result or is it 2d4+1?
    A52 Yes, but since Empower does not double it's trickier to figure out. Technically it would be 1½d4+1, or perhaps 1d4+1d2+1, although that might not be quite accurate. Note that you do not increase the static amount; only "variable, numeric" parts are included, so the +1 remains the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    Note that you do not increase the static amount; only "variable, numeric" parts are included, so the +1 remains the same.
    Do you have a quote on the statement that you have to separate static numbers from variable numbers on the same effect? 1d4+1 is still numeric and variable. The SRD only says:"All variable, numeric effects of an empowered spell are increased by one-half." To me empowering results in (1d4+1)*1.5 so between 3 and 7 because of rounding down.

7. - Top - End - #97

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    A52 Yes, but since Empower does not double it's trickier to figure out. Technically it would be 1½d4+1, or perhaps 1d4+1d2+1, although that might not be quite accurate. Note that you do not increase the static amount; only "variable, numeric" parts are included, so the +1 remains the same.
    Whoops yeah forgot it was 50% more. I agree the 1 stays the same since it is not variable (same way that empowered true strike would be +20 and not +30).
    Mostly I am curious as to wether I add 50% to whatever I could roll (1d2 in this case) or I roll first than increase my rolled result by 50%.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 53 How much does a Tauric belt cost? I can't find it anywhere.
    Admiral Cranthis, Inventor of the Cranthis (Sandwich) and the Gnomish Paratroopers, and rider of Chuckles, the dire pig.

Awesome avatar by TinyMushroom!

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

A34: Since the heal skill can be used to cure disease and poison [DC is disease DC] than most would argue that it can be used to detect illness too.

As per the detect disease spell..
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can determine the exact disease with a DC 20 Wisdom check. A character with the Heal skill may try a DC 20 Heal check if the Wisdom check fails, or may try the Heal check prior to the Wisdom check.

Without detecting a disease or poison you can still do the same thing but obviously you need to know that the person was diseased to begin with (being bitten should be enough though).
    For normal illnesses like colds and the like, it is upto the DM to set the DC.
    But this check is only allowed after casting the spell. A spell from the D&D-wiki, no less. I guess there is no clear RAW answer. I'll make a separate thread

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

Mostly I am curious as to wether I add 50% to whatever I could roll (1d2 in this case) or I roll first than increase my rolled result by 50%.
    You can only add the 50% after rolling, since you do not know the value of the variable numeric effect yet.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Cranthis View Post
    Q 53 How much does a Tauric belt cost? I can't find it anywhere.
    A 53: It's an artifact; It doesn't have a set cost, lest artificers try to make it. If your DM wants you to acquire one, what percentage of your characters WBL it should count as isn't a hard and fast rule. What it would sell for is likewise entirely via GM discretion.

Q 54: When making attacks of opportunity against a prone opponent standing up, do you get the +4 bonus to attack?
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

A 54: Yes. Attacks of Opportunity take place when the provoker initiates the action, not when they complete it. The attacker gets the attack bonus against a prone opponent.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Banned

Q55
    According to printed text in the Monster Manual 1, while Plant creatures are not subject to critical hits (which, correct me if I'm wrong, also means they ignore Sneak Attack), they can be flanked for the to-hit bonus. Does this remain true or has it been errata'ed?

14. - Top - End - #104
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nasst View Post
    Q 42: If I use the spell Gate to call an outsider to inmediately help me in a fight (while the fight is still going on). When does it get its first action? Does it act inmediately after the gate spell was cast? Or does it roll initiative?
    I've taken the liberty of re-posting this, because I'm interested in the answer to this question, if there is one that can be found in (or deduced from) the RAW.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Q55
    According to printed text in the Monster Manual 1, while Plant creatures are not subject to critical hits (which, correct me if I'm wrong, also means they ignore Sneak Attack), they can be flanked for the to-hit bonus. Does this remain true or has it been errata'ed?
    A55: Flanking has relation to immunity to critical hits- Flanking is based around a tactical inability to defend from multiple angles, while immunity to critical hits is due to a lack of especially vulnerable parts.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 56: If a Level 2 ranger/ Level 5 scout, with rapid shot, and a splitting bow, activates his skirmish ability, will he apply his skirmish damage to each of these arrows?
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    A55: Flanking has relation to immunity to critical hits- Flanking is based around a tactical inability to defend from multiple angles, while immunity to critical hits is due to a lack of especially vulnerable parts.
    Re: 55

That's right, they have nothing to do with each other. You can flank anything (except certain creatures with specific exceptions), including Plants, Constructs, Oozes, Elementals and Undead. Flanking will not trigger Sneak Attack against these creatures because they are immune, but you still get the bonus.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2012-11-19 at 09:51 PM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Q57:
    Does having something as something count as the second something when qualifying for PRCs? Because of that odd wording, I'll try using a couple examples.

ex1:Can a Divine Minion qualify for Master of Many Forms, because it's fast wildshape is "as an 11th-level druid", thus allowing it to satisfy the requirements even though the ability is from a template?

ex2:Would having haste as an SLA make you able to enter Swiftblade, since SLAs are "as the spell".

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 57 Usually no.
    Special: Wild shape class feature.
    Fast Wild Shape as a template feature is not Wild Shape as a class feature, on two counts.
    Spellcasting: Ability to cast haste.
    Spell-like abilities are not cast, so this one fails the requirement as well.
    Some creatures are actually sorcerers of a sort. They cast arcane spells as sorcerers do, using components when required. In fact, an individual creature could have some spell-like abilities and also cast other spells as a sorcerer.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

A57: clarification Complete Arcane, p72 states :
    For example, a prestige class with a spellcasting requirement of “Must know (or be able to cast) darkness” is met by a warlock who chooses darkness as one of her invocations, or by any creature with darkness as a spell-like ability.
    Your haste SLA might have difficulty with "Special: Must have spent the entire previous level using all 3rd level spell slots to exclusively cast haste," though.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Q 58

This has probably been asked to death, but what do you DM's do with Divine Metamagic in this particular regard: Persistent Spell costs a spell slot 6 levels higher than the spell you are going to persist. If the player doesn't have access yet to spell slots that high, do you let them Persist spells anyways?
    Do you allow them to simply burn up the necessary Turn Attempts, or do you enforce that they must have attained high enough spell slots before being allowed to burn up the Turn Attempts?

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 58

Divine Metamagic says nothing about having a high enough level spell slot to normally apply the metamagic feat in question. You are adding a requirement where none exists.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2012-11-19 at 10:30 PM. Reason: typo
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q 59: Say I've got the Knockback feat, 30ft of reach (spiked chain), and enough attacks of opportunity. If I hit someone, can I knock them back, and hit them for moving? Could I do it again and again?

Q 60: If I use Knockback, is there a limit to which square I can knock my foe into?

Knockback: Races of Stone
    Last edited by Keegan__D; 2012-11-20 at 12:05 AM.
    Most excellent custom avatar by Kymme!

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

A 59

You do not get to make Attacks of Opportunity against the one you pushed back.

A 60

The limit to which square you can knock your opponent is the strength check difference by which you beat him. Another limit is any kind of terrain that blocks the forced movement (like a wall or similar obstacle) or ends it (like a hole). Unless you have the Dungeoncrasher Alternate Class Feature from Dungeonscape or anything similar to that, the enemy would then be unharmed when his movement ends at the wall. If the defender is bull rushed over a pit, his movement also ends, and the defender then falls down, possibly taking falling damage.

25. - Top - End - #115

Q 61?
    I think question 60 was unclear. I've included pictures this time. Can I move a foe from square A to square B? Can I move a foe from square B to square C?

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 61 No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keegan__D View Post
    I think question 60 was unclear. I've included pictures this time. Can I move a foe from square A to square B? Can I move a foe from square B to square C?

Knockback lets you make a bull rush maneuver with your weapon. Even though you do not move into the enemy's space, their movement is still limited to bull rush movement: just backward (away from you and your weapon). You don't get to slide them willy-nilly around the battlefield.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Assuming you meant to say "Flanking has no relation", that's what I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Re: 55
    That's right, they have nothing to do with each other. You can flank anything (except certain creatures with specific exceptions), including Plants, Constructs, Oozes, Elementals and Undead.
    Lest there be misinformation, I will correct you: The monster manual definitions of creature types Ooze and Elemental specifically say "Not subject to flanking or critical hits". The reason for my question was that Plants, along with Constructs and Undead (I think, I'd have to check those two but they both tend to have faces so I'd assume), simply say "Not subject to critical hits" and do not mention flanking.
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-11-20 at 02:14 AM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    A 58

Divine Metamagic says nothing about having a high enough level spell slot to normally apply the metamagic feat in question. You are adding a requirement where none exists.
    Sure, but the Persistent Spell Feat does!!

" A persistent spell uses up a spell slot six levels higher than the spell’s actual level.
    "
    So now what...?

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

DMM says that the spell does not require/fill a higher level slot. So you would not need one. You would need 7 turn undead attempts though.

You could not normally persist a spell if you did not have the appropriate slot, but with DMM you only need a slot of the unmodified spell, which you obviously have.

Oh and persistent spell (and all other metamagic feats) do not require you to have higher level slots, you just have to prepare the metamagicked spells in the appropriate (higher) slot.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-11-20 at 02:46 AM.

30. - Top - End - #120

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 61 No.
    Knockback lets you make a bull rush maneuver with your weapon. Even though you do not move into the enemy's space, their movement is still limited to bull rush movement: just backward (away from you and your weapon). You don't get to slide them willy-nilly around the battlefield.
    So, is C to A possible? It's still away, just not directly so.