New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 51 of 121 FirstFirst ... 2641424344454647484950515253545556575859606176101 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 3609
  1. - Top - End - #1501
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXII

Q674b: I'm afraid I'm still confused. Let me try again.

So say there's a rogue hidden behind a tree (he's already hidden behind the tree, he's not trying to hide in the middle of combat. And yes the tree is big enough to obscure him entirely). That rogue uses his light crossbow to shoot at an unaware enemy 30ft. away. If I understand you correctly this is what happens:

Rogue gets attack against enemy at +2 to hit, and enemy is denied dex bonus to AC (which allows sneak attack).
    After the attack is resolved, enemy gets a reactive spot check against a DC 3 (0 + 1 for every 10ft away = 0 + 3 = 3). If he makes it he sees the rogue, otherwise the rogue remains hidden.
    Next round if he is not still hidden the rogue can use his move action to duck behind the tree and attempt another hide check which, if successful, would allow him to attack with the bonuses of attacking an unaware opponent. Your interpretation seems to indicate that he would also be unable to use the "sniping" action since he doesn't have his move action anymore, but in looking more closely at the "sniping" action I don't see anything that suggests you need to use a move action; it seems like the check is simply made as part of the attack.
    Alternatively, the rogue could have elected to try to snipe as detailed under hide in the PhB. In this case, the enemy would still roll against that 3 DC, but if the rogue's hide -20 check beats the enemy's spot check (the same one against the DC 3? A new roll?) then he remains hidden, but the enemy knows what square he was in when he made the attack.

A couple questions:
    Q674b: doesn't having cover give you a bonus to your hide check, so the DC should be a little over 3? I looked it up in the PhB but it's very vague. The most concrete thing it says is that near total darkness gives a 40% miss chance and +10 to hide checks. Is there anything more substantial than that with regard to bonuses to hide checks from concealment?
    Q674c: The wording of sniping seems to suggest that the hide check at -20 replaces the DC of 3 in the example. Why is this not the case?

Thanks for your help btw.

2. - Top - End - #1502
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

q676

Are additional natural attacks gained through the Morphic Weapons class feature (warshaper) included in a full attack with pre-existing natural attacks? ie. can a wildshape ranger4/warshaper1 wildshape into a leopard, grow a gore attack via morphic weapons, then charge/pounce a foe and include the gore attack in its full attack (granted by Pounce)?
    Thanks!

3. - Top - End - #1503
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 674b
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
    I'm afraid I'm still confused. Let me try again.

So say there's a rogue hidden behind a tree (he's already hidden behind the tree, he's not trying to hide in the middle of combat. And yes the tree is big enough to obscure him entirely).
    Yes, I can see you're still confused. If the tree is big enough to obscure the Rogue entirely, the Rogue doesn't have line of sight to the enemy and cannot be hidden (and also cannot attack); instead both parties have total concealment from each other.
    You need cover or concealment in order to attempt a Hide check. Total cover or total concealment usually (but not always; see Special, below) obviates the need for a Hide check, since nothing can see you anyway.
    To be hidden, the enemy must have a chance to Spot you. You can't make a Hide check unless someone can make a Spot check in response; that the basic requirement of this opposed check.

I'll skip the rest, because you've got to understand the basics before proceeding.

4. - Top - End - #1504
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    Q673

In the Dracolexi prestige class from Races of the Dragon, there is a Draconic Word, ssearth that allows you to use it in a spell as if you had used Extend Spell, but with no change in spell level or casting time. Does that basically mean that you can use it on every applicable spell that you want?
    A673

Yes. You can use it every turn on every spell that you cast. It won't have an effect on spells with duration: Instantaneous.

Quote Originally Posted by silverwolfer View Post
    Q677

Do Lupins from Dragon Comp, which are monsterous humioids , get all simple weapons as granted by the sub type?
    A677

Assuming you mean type and not subtype, yes. Lupins are proficient with all simple weapons.
    Last edited by rockdeworld; 2013-02-08 at 11:25 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1505
    Titan in the Playground

Q 678

Do you have to save vs. deafness against your own Skull Watch (SpC 191) spell?
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

6. - Top - End - #1506
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 678 Yes.

If you stay within 60' of the skull you'll not only be aware of a living creature entering the guarded area, you'll also have the chance of being deafened for being too close.

7. - Top - End - #1507
    Banned

Q679

Is there a version of the Alarm spell that can be keyed to silently alert a person other than the caster?

8. - Top - End - #1508
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Q680

How many feet do you fall per round?

Free fall, no means of halting or slowing your fall. Do you just use terminal velocity rl logic applied to 1 rd = 6sec?
    "If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance."

9. - Top - End - #1509
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 674b
    Yes, I can see you're still confused. If the tree is big enough to obscure the Rogue entirely, the Rogue doesn't have line of sight to the enemy and cannot be hidden (and also cannot attack); instead both parties have total concealment from each other. To be hidden, the enemy must have a chance to Spot you. You can't make a Hide check unless someone can make a Spot check in response; that the basic requirement of this opposed check.

I'll skip the rest, because you've got to understand the basics before proceeding.
    So you're saying you can't envision someone hiding behind a tree and peeking out from the side to shoot?

Okay, whatever, let's say they're hidden behind a bush or something instead. Is that better? The actual object they're hiding behind is immaterial, I don't know why you're so focused on it. If it helps, I'll say that the rogue is already successfully hiding behind some appropriate cover. So here are my questions and my example again, ammended for your benefit:

Q674b: So say there's a rogue hidden behind appropriate cover (he's already hidden (i.e. he has made a hide check versus the enemy spot check and hasn't been discovered), he's not trying to hide in the middle of combat. The cover is significant enough to obscure him enough to hide). That rogue uses his light crossbow to shoot at an unaware enemy 30ft. away. If I understand you correctly this is what happens:

Rogue gets attack against enemy at +2 to hit, and enemy is denied dex bonus to AC (which allows sneak attack).
    After the attack is resolved, enemy gets a reactive spot check against a DC 3 (0 + 1 for every 10ft away = 0 + 3 = 3). If he makes it he sees the rogue, otherwise the rogue remains hidden.
    Next round if he is not still hidden the rogue can use his move action to duck behind full cover and attempt another hide check which, if successful, would allow him to attack with the bonuses of attacking an unaware opponent. Your interpretation seems to indicate that he would also be unable to use the "sniping" action since he doesn't have his move action anymore, but in looking more closely at the "sniping" action I don't see anything that suggests you need to use a move action; it seems like the check is simply made as part of the attack.
    Alternatively, the rogue could have elected to try to snipe as detailed under hide in the PhB. In this case, the enemy would still roll against that 3 DC, but if the rogue's hide -20 check beats the enemy's spot check (the same one against the DC 3? A new roll?) then he remains hidden, but the enemy knows what square he was in when he made the attack.

A couple questions:
    Q674b: doesn't having cover give you a bonus to your hide check, so the DC should be a little over 3? I looked it up in the PhB but it's very vague. The most concrete thing it says is that near total darkness gives a 40% miss chance and +10 to hide checks. Is there anything more substantial than that with regard to bonuses to hide checks from concealment?
    Q674c: The wording of sniping seems to suggest that the hide check at -20 replaces the DC of 3 in the example. Why is this not the case?
    Better?
    Last edited by Mongrel; 2013-02-09 at 11:59 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1510
    Banned

Q681
    Is there a martial maneuver (or other effect available with the expenditure of one feat) which causes knockback, similar to the Awesome Blow feat but available to creatures of Medium size?

Q682
    If you take the Martial Study feat for the first time, can you select a maneuver higher than 1st level if it has no prerequisite maneuvers? Do you need to have an initiator level equal to one less than twice the maneuver's level? And your initiator level is equal to half your Hit Dice if you have no initiator classes? So to select a 2nd level maneuver, you'd need to have at least 6 hit dice? Have I got all this right?

11. - Top - End - #1511
    Pixie in the Playground

Q683

Do Bloodline Levels from UA stack with class levels to determine Spell Resistance if you get Spells Resistance from a racial trait like the Githzerai?

The Githzerai from MM gets Spell Resistance = Class Levels +5. If you were a fighter 7/Monk 7 with a major bloodline, would you have SR = 25 (7+3 + 7+3 +5) or SR = 19 (7+7+5)?

The quote from the UA says this:

"Include the character’s bloodline level when calculating any
    character ability based on his class levels (such as caster level for
    spellcasting characters, or save DCs for characters with special
    abilities whose DCs are based on class level). The character
    doesn’t gain any abilities, spells known, or spells per day from
    the addition of his bloodline levels, though—only the calculations
    of his level-based abilities are affected.
    If a character has levels in two or more classes in addition to
    his bloodline levels, each class gains the benefi t of adding the
    bloodline levels when calculating abilities."
    Last edited by Semada; 2013-02-09 at 12:14 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1512
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A680

150 ft. round 1, 300 ft. each round after that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minimum Forward Speed
    If it is too high above the ground to land, it falls straight down, descending 150 feet in the first round of falling. If this distance brings it to the ground, it takes falling damage. If the fall doesn’t bring the creature to the ground, it must spend its next turn recovering from the stall. It must succeed on a DC 20 Reflex save to recover. Otherwise it falls another 300 feet.
    A683

Yes. I don't know about Githzerai, but for drow:
    Quote Originally Posted by Drow
    Spell resistance equal to 11 + class levels.
    And as you quoted, bloodline levels are class levels for the purpose of "any
    character ability based on his class levels," such as SR.

13. - Top - End - #1513

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rockdeworld View Post
    A680
    150 ft. round 1, 300 ft. each round after that.
    Q680 "b"
    This free falling speed can be expected on all characters/npc's/monsters of any size and race with no means of natural (wings, etc) or supernatural (feather fall, etc) stalling or slowing a free fall?
    "If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance."

14. - Top - End - #1514
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 674b
    So you're saying you can't envision someone hiding behind a tree and peeking out from the side to shoot?

Okay, whatever, let's say they're hidden behind a bush or something instead. Is that better? The actual object they're hiding behind is immaterial, I don't know why you're so focused on it. If it helps, I'll say that the rogue is already successfully hiding behind some appropriate cover.
    I'm afraid you're not getting the point. You can't under the rules say the Rogue is "already hiding"; it doesn't work that way in D&D. The Rogue behind the tree or bush isn't hiding; they're simply out of sight, and out of combat. Hiding is only possible in the game if someone has line of sight to you. That's what a Hide check opposed by an enemy's Spot score means. (You're not "hiding" from the Sphinx if you're outside of Egypt.)

A 680 b

The "stalling" speed rules apply to winged creatures; non-winged creatures can't stall, but simply fall. From page 136 of Dungeon Master's Guide:
    This section on world-building assumes that your campaign is set in a fairly realistic world. That is to say that while wizards cast spells, deities channel power to clerics, and dragons raze villages, the world is round, the laws of physics are applicable, and most people act like real people. The reason for this assumption is that unless they are told otherwise, this situation is what your players expect.
    The FAQ author worked out realistic falling speeds assuming Earth-normal gravity and human-like terminal velocity. You end up falling about 500' in the first round, reaching terminal velocity near the end of that round. Each subsequent round you fall 1200'.

As is obvious from the discrepancy in these different falling speeds, wings greatly reduce your terminal velocity.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2013-02-09 at 05:53 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1515
    Orc in the Playground

Q 675

Does Blood Wind work with Improved Grab? It could lead to some hilarious results.

16. - Top - End - #1516
    Dwarf in the Playground

Re: A 674b

I'm afraid you're not getting the point. You can't under the rules say the Rogue is "already hiding"; it doesn't work that way in D&D. The Rogue behind the tree or bush isn't hiding; they're simply out of sight, and out of combat. Hiding is only possible in the game if someone has line of sight to you. That's what a Hide check opposed by an enemy's Spot score means. (You're not "hiding" from the Sphinx if you're outside of Egypt.)
    I think you're getting bogged down on largely irrelevant details. I'll simplify this further.

A rogue has succeeded in successfully hiding from an orc. The rogue wants to attack the orc with a ranged weapon for sneak attack damage.

Question 1: How do I know if the orc sees the rogue after the attack or not? You said that he essentially has to make a spot check against a DC of 0 + 1 for every 10ft. away the rogue is. What are the other factors that contribute to this (such as concealment, or creature size)?

Question 2: If the orc sees the rogue, how, exactly, do they re-hide from him? Previously I seem to recall you saying that if you break line of sight you can attempt another hide check, but now you're saying that you actually can't hide if there is no line of sight.

Which seems absurd to me since if there was, say, a search party going down the road looking for you and you ducked behind a tree it should still be hide vs spot rather than "the search party cannot possibly find you!" In your example of "you're not hidden from the Sphinx if you're outside of Egypt," if you somehow managed to make an attack on said Sphinx from outside of Egypt the game would pretty much treat it as though you were hidden from them...

Question 3: How does this sequence of events change if the rogue is using the "sniping" option? You have said that unless the rogue can hide in plain sight the enemy will still get that DC 0 + distance spot check to see him. So after that there's a hide -20 vs spot check and if that succeeds the enemy knows what square the rogue attacked from if they made the low DC spot check (which they probably did), but does not know where the rogue currently is (since he's hidden) and the rogue will be able to sneak attack next round. If he fails then the orc knows where he is.

I am primarily interested in Question 2 (how to legally hide during combat), but I'm curious about the other two as well.

17. - Top - End - #1517
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 647b continuation

The other factors affecting the Orc's Spot score are the distraction of combat (-5) and the Rogue's size. Size alters the opposing Spot check by +/- 4 for every size step. If the Rogue is Medium size, that's +4 to the difficulty compared to Large size.

2. Every time you wish to Hide you must satisfy the three requirements to be allowed to make this skill check:
    • There must be line of sight; otherwise no Hide check is allowed.
    • You cannot be observed.
    • You must have cover/concealment.
    If you're observed when you attack you can either break line of sight (gain total cover/concealment, at least briefly) or use the Bluff skill to make a distraction. Gaining cover/concealment is usually a matter of moving relative to the terrain, although there are also magical means of achieving both concealment and cover. Then you need to take one of the actions which allow a Hide check; usually, this is movement. Hide in Plain Sight offers additional options here. The various forms of HiPS all remove the "not being observed" requirement for the Hide skill; some forms (generally Supernatural) also remove the cover/concealment requirement.

3. Sniping rules require the following:
    • The Rogue is hiding initially, in a location which offers cover/concealment. (Most likely cover rather than concealment, since concealment makes sneak attack impossible.)
    • The Rogue makes a ranged attack, and is (probably) Spotted doing so.
    • The Rogue does not move anywhere, but uses a move action to (attempt to) Hide in place. By spending this move action the Rogue gets to bypass the usual "not being observed" Hide requirement, but has to eat a -20 penalty to the skill check.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2013-02-09 at 08:18 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1518
    Ettin in the Playground

@Curmudgeon: Where do you get the +4 for a medium creature from?

Q 684 I think

For the purpose of hiding, is movement only the change of position form one square to another or is it any movement the character or parts of him can make?

Q 685

Is a character with the Jotunbrud feat also considered Large for Intimidate checks?

Q 686

If a character with Pounce uses the Bounding Assault maneuver, he can make a Full Attack, right?
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2013-02-09 at 09:31 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1519
    Orc in the Playground

Q 687

More about Improved Grab. If someone wants to Grab (taking the -20 penalty), does it need to apply that malus to the initial check to start the grapple?

20. - Top - End - #1520
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

@Andezzar: From the table here.

A 684

The Hide skill specifies movement relative to your speed. Only movement which changes your square is dependent on your speed.

A 685 Yes.

Jotunbrud's benefit applies to any opposed roll, and Intimidate requires such a mechanism.

A 686 No.

Pounce requires that you use the Charge (special full-round) action. Spring Attack stipulates a move action split around an attack. These are incompatible action requirements. Bounding Assault will give you an extra attack when you use Spring Attack; Pounce will give you potentially several extra attacks when you Charge. There is no combination which will combine these extra attacks.

21. - Top - End - #1521
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qc Storm View Post
    Q 687

More about Improved Grab. If someone wants to Grab (taking the -20 penalty), does it need to apply that malus to the initial check to start the grapple?
    A 687
    Yes. In particular, note how the decision on whether or not to take the -20 penalty affects whether the creature can make its other attacks in that round, thus indicating that it must apply to the initial check.

Note that malus, while intuitively the opposite of bonus, is not actually a commonly used english word, and is not the word used in english-language D&D. You're looking for the word penalty. I know what you're talking about, but others might get confused.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

22. - Top - End - #1522
    Ettin in the Playground

@Andezzar: From the table here.
    This link says +0 for a medium creature. +4 is small.

A 684

The Hide skill specifies movement relative to your speed. Only movement which changes your square is dependent on your speed.
    While true, movement that does not change your square, obviously is moving less than "up to one-half your normal speed" so you can still hide without penalty. Additionally if it only referred to moving form one square to another, how is it possible to hide while attacking (explicitly allowed, albeit being difficult, in the PHB on p. 76). An attack does not require any movement from one square to another.

A 686 No.

Pounce requires that you use the Charge (special full-round) action. Spring Attack stipulates a move action split around an attack. These are incompatible action requirements. Bounding Assault will give you an extra attack when you use Spring Attack; Pounce will give you potentially several extra attacks when you Charge. There is no combination which will combine these extra attacks.
    Please read my question again. I was asking about the maneuver Bounding Assault (ToB p. 62) not the feat from the PHB II. The former states "This maneuver is considered a charge attack when determining if feats and other abilities apply to your attack."

23. - Top - End - #1523
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Q688

I'm casting a spell with verbal component. Will it be interupted if i start to talk?
    Is there any rule about that?

24. - Top - End - #1524
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    This link says +0 for a medium creature. +4 is small.
    Note that those are Hide modifiers. I was reworking them to apply to the opponent's Spot check. The reference used for Spot checks is 0 for Large; the reference used for Hide checks is 0 for Medium. The difference (+/- 4 per size step) is what matters here.

Re: A 684
    Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar
    While true, movement that does not change your square, obviously is moving less than "up to one-half your normal speed" so you can still hide without penalty.
    As far as I can ascertain from the RAW, moving in your square, even if it uses a move action, isn't considered any sort of movement in the D&D rules. The standard movement in the game (land movement) is only concerned with getting from one place (square) to another.
    movement modes

Creatures may have modes of movement other than walking and running.
    A paralyzed creature continues to use their muscles to stand upright, pump blood, breathe, blink, and swallow (because the rules don't stipulate that you fall down, die of cardiac arrest, suffocate, go blind, or choke to death); none of that minor muscle movement is classified as D&D movement.
    Additionally if it only referred to moving form one square to another, how is it possible to hide while attacking (explicitly allowed, albeit being difficult, in the PHB on p. 76).
    Attacking is a different action which also allows a Hide check. There's no connection. You're also permitted to Hide during any part of a Charge (including the attack at the end), and there's still no connection to the Hide rules about movement.

A 686 [updated] Yes.
    Please read my question again. I was asking about the maneuver Bounding Assault (ToB p. 62) not the feat from the PHB II."
    My apologies; I didn't realize there was a name conflict. The answer for this one is: Yes. Both the Charge special full-round action and the Bounding Assault maneuver refer to a single melee attack at the end of movement; the addition of Pounce with either of these substitutes a full attack in place of that single attack. (Bounding Assault really is just a Charge with slightly eased movement constraints at the expense of the usual Charge attack bonus.)

A 688 Yes.

Here's the rule:
    Spell Failure

If you ever try to cast a spell in conditions where the characteristics of the spell cannot be made to conform, the casting fails and the spell is wasted.
    Stopping a spell's verbal component and switching to normal talking instead is failing to conform to the characteristics required for the spell to be cast successfully.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2013-02-10 at 05:24 AM.

25. - Top - End - #1525

Q689 Concentration checks

Prompted by comic 868, I have a question about how Concentration checks work. Here we have Belkar facing off against Malak. Let's assume that the encounter comes to blows, that Belkar and Mr. Scruffy win initiative and attack, and Malak tries a spell, provoking AOO from Belkar and Mr Scruffy. What concentration checks does he need to make to save his spell?

1) A single check vs. all the damage he recieves in the round prior to his spell (including the AOOs)?

2) A check vs. each damaging hit (regular attacks and AOOs) in the round prior to his spell?

3) A single check vs. all cumulative damage from the AOOs only?

4) A check vs. the damage from each succesful AOO?
    The prison was full of British officers who had sworn to die, rather than be captured.

Avatar by Rich Burlew: The Giant Stuck It To Me!

26. - Top - End - #1526
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 689

If you check footnote 2 on the Concentration check table, you'll see that the answer depends on the action required for casting the spell. If it's 1 standard action to cast, it's one check for each attack of opportunity. If it's a longer casting time, it's one check for the total damage dealt during the action.

27. - Top - End - #1527
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Q670
    About grappling.

Step 4
    Maintain Grapple. To maintain the grapple for later rounds, you must move into the target’s space. If you can’t move into your target’s space, you can’t maintain the grapple and must immediately let go of the target.
    What might be the reason why i can't move into target's space?

28. - Top - End - #1528
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 689 continued

Note that there is no check for damage that is taken before the spell is cast. Only distractions that occur DURING the act of casting will prompt a Concentration check.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

29. - Top - End - #1529
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A670
    If, for example, you are tied to a wooden post that is stuck in the ground, and therefore cannot move from your space, but can still make the grab to start a grapple because your arms are free.

30. - Top - End - #1530
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rockdeworld View Post
    A670
    If, for example, you are tied to a wooden post that is stuck in the ground, and therefore cannot move from your space, but can still make the grab to start a grapple because your arms are free.
    A 670 add'l

Or the other person is flying 5' above you, and you cannot fly up into their square.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.