New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 52 of 121 FirstFirst ... 22742434445464748495051525354555657585960616277102 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,560 of 3609
  1. - Top - End - #1531
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXII

Q690: Looking at the SRD entry for Bard (identical to the PhB entry on p.27-30), I notice that in the "Bard Spells Known" table every time you gain access to a new level of spells (1st level spells at level 2, for example) the table includes a disclaimer that says "Provided the character has a high enough Charisma score to have a bonus spell of this level." My question is, what if the character doesn't? Does he only get one spell of that level on level up? None? It's specifically spells known, not spells per day, which is why I'm a little confused.
    Last edited by Mongrel; 2013-02-10 at 11:44 AM.

2. - Top - End - #1532
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A690: Unlike most casting classes the bard's initial spells per day when they get access to a new level of spells is 0. This means that they can only cast a spell of the new level if their charisma is high enough to give them a bonus spell.
    Correspondingly they don't gain any spells known at the new spell level unless they can actually cast at that level.
    Presumably this is to stop a bard having spells known that they cannot cast.

3. - Top - End - #1533
    Dwarf in the Playground

Followup: Q690a: So does this mean that the whole table for the bard already factors in bonus spells from having a high Charisma score? What if your Charisma is high enough to grant you multiple spells of a certain level (you have a 20 Charisma, for example, which gives you 2 first level spells according to the table on p.8 of the PhB)? Do you just adjust the table by one in that instance? Like, assuming you're second level with a 20 Cha it says you get 2 first level spells known. Should this be 3 instead?

I always thought that a high spellcasting ability score just gave you additional spells/day, does if give you additional spells known for every spontaneous caster, or just Bards?

Edit: nevermind, I get it
    Last edited by Mongrel; 2013-02-10 at 01:01 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1534
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 691

Does wearing (magical) gauntlets/gloves prevent a character using his claws?

Q 692

Some enchantments tell us how a suit of armor looks. What happens if you take more than one such enchantment with conflicting looks? E.g. 1+ shadow reflecting breastplate.

5. - Top - End - #1535
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 691 Yes.

Interposing a physical barrier between your natural weapons and your opponents means you cannot normally attack with them, any more than you can normally attack with a sword still in its sheath. The same goes for horn attacks and helms, hind leg claws and boots, and bite attacks with full (mouth covering) helmets. You might get custom-designed items which are designed to leave your natural weapons exposed, but you'd need to talk to your individual DM about that.

6. - Top - End - #1536
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 691 Yes.

Interposing a physical barrier between your natural weapons and your opponents means you cannot normally attack with them, any more than you can normally attack with a sword still in its sheath. The same goes for horn attacks and helms, hind leg claws and boots, and bite attacks with full (mouth covering) helmets. You might get custom-designed items which are designed to leave your natural weapons exposed, but you'd need to talk to your individual DM about that.
    That is what common sense dictates, but is there an explicit rule for it? Do the rules actually spell out that all gloves/gauntlets come with fingers and do not look similar to Cycling gloves or other fingerless gloves?

7. - Top - End - #1537
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    That is what common sense dictates, but is there an explicit rule for it? Do the rules actually spell out that all gloves/gauntlets come with fingers and do not look similar to Cycling gloves or other fingerless gloves?
    The Player's Handbook says about gauntlets: "This metal glove protects your hands" (rather than parts of your hands). Also the pictures of gloves and gauntlets on page 71 of Magic Item Compendium show them both with full coverage.

But no, there's no explicit rule on this. Similarly, while there's an explanation in the rules of how you draw a sword to use it in combat, there's nothing which actually says you can't attack with it still in its scabbard. For standard concepts such as this you need to reference standard sources, such as Stone (A Glossary of the Construction, Decoration and Use of Arms and Armor: in All Countries and in All Times).

8. - Top - End - #1538
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Q 693

Does the spell in BoED, "Sacred Guardian" give at will teleport to object or creature of focus of that spell?

9. - Top - End - #1539
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 693 No.
    If the caster wishes to teleport to the subject’s presence, he can do so even if he is not familiar with the location (assuming he has access to teleportation magic).
    You need to supply the teleportation magic yourself. Normally you would be unable to reach an unfamiliar destination with a spell like Teleport; that spell requires you to have viewed the destination at least once. Sacred Guardian removes this limitation for the purpose of reaching the spell's subject.

10. - Top - End - #1540
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Q681
    Is there a martial maneuver (or other effect available with the expenditure of one feat) which causes knockback, similar to the Awesome Blow feat but available to creatures of Medium size?

Q682
    If you take the Martial Study feat for the first time, can you select a maneuver higher than 1st level if it has no prerequisite maneuvers? Do you need to have an initiator level equal to one less than twice the maneuver's level? And your initiator level is equal to half your Hit Dice if you have no initiator classes? So to select a 2nd level maneuver, you'd need to have at least 6 hit dice? Have I got all this right?
    A681 partial The only ones that come to mind are the Mighty Throw line from Setting Sun, but I doubt that's exactly what you're looking for.

A682 All entirely correct. Note that since there is no mention of a (minimum 1) limitation on the rounding, a 1 HD creature with no initiator levels cannot legally select Martial Study as a feat.

11. - Top - End - #1541
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Q 694

Ok, so I'm a Wizard 3/Sorcerer 3. I can cast spells of level two for each class, and know several spells of level two for each class. Can I cast a spell that's in my spellbook through my Sorcerer's spells per day if I don't know said spell as a Sorcerer?

12. - Top - End - #1542
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

A694

No, you cannot. Also, Sorcerers don't get level 2 spells until class level 4.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

13. - Top - End - #1543

OldWizardGuy

Ok, thanks :) also..whoops. Forgot about that :p

14. - Top - End - #1544
    Titan in the Playground

A 681 (partial)

The Knockback feat in Races of Stone can be taken by Medium creatures if they have the Powerful Build ability (e.g- half-giants or goliaths).
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

15. - Top - End - #1545
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 695

How can you get up from prone without provoking an AoO?

Q 696

Is there a spell to make a weapon merciful or otherwise deal nonlethal damage without the usual -4?

16. - Top - End - #1546
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Q697
    Can Elan regain Power Points after 4 hour of trance?

17. - Top - End - #1547

Q689b Concentration checks

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    A 689 continued

Note that there is no check for damage that is taken before the spell is cast. Only distractions that occur DURING the act of casting will prompt a Concentration check.
    Thanks Curmudgeon and Killian. Just to make sure I understand; my scenario involves Belkar + Mr. Scuffy vs. Malack, Belkar has initiative.

If Malack casts a 1 Standard Action spell, must he take Concentration checks vs. the damage caused by each successful AOO?

If he casts a spell with a one round casting time, must he take a single check (presumably just before the spell is due to come into effect in round 2) vs. the cumulative damage caused by the AOOs in the first round, and any damage caused by regular attacks in the second round (but not the first)?
    The prison was full of British officers who had sworn to die, rather than be captured.

Avatar by Rich Burlew: The Giant Stuck It To Me!

18. - Top - End - #1548
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 690

Can Spheres and cylinders be placed in the center of a square, or must they be placed on corners?
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2013-02-11 at 06:31 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1549
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A695

The skill trick Back On Your Feet allows you to do this.

A697

No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daily Power Point Acquisition
    To regain used daily power points, a psionic character must have a clear mind. To clear his mind, he must first sleep for 8 hours. The character does not have to slumber for every minute of the time, but he must refrain from movement, combat, manifesting powers, skill use, conversation, or any other demanding physical or mental task during the rest period. If his rest is interrupted, each interruption adds 1 hour to the total amount of time he has to rest to clear his mind, and he must have at least 1 hour of rest immediately prior to regaining lost power points. If the character does not need to sleep for some reason, he still must have 8 hours of restful calm before regaining power points.
    A689b

Yes, and for the last question: because the damage caused by regular attacks in the second round would be during the action of casting the spell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Concentration
    {table]10 + damage dealt | Damaged during the action.2[/table]
    2. Such as during the casting of a spell with a casting time of 1 round or more, or the execution of an activity that takes more than a single full-round action (such as Disable Device). Also, damage stemming from an attack of opportunity or readied attack made in response to the spell being cast (for spells with a casting time of 1 standard action) or the action being taken (for activities requiring no more than a full-round action).
    A690

Corners.
    Quote Originally Posted by Area
    The point of origin of a spell is always a grid intersection.
    Last edited by rockdeworld; 2013-02-11 at 10:21 AM.

20. - Top - End - #1550
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rockdeworld View Post
    A695

The skill trick Back On Your Feet allows you to do this.
    Is there a way to do it more than once per encounter?

21. - Top - End - #1551
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 691

What is the name of the feat that allows sorcerers to consume two spell slots in order to cast a spell one level higher?

22. - Top - End - #1552
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

A691

Versatile Spellcaster, from Player's Handbook 2.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

23. - Top - End - #1553
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 695 additional

At level 1 a Thief-Acrobat gets Kip Up, which allows standing from prone as a free action without provoking AoOs.

There's a way to get up from prone without provoking, available to anyone, but it's slow. There's no AoO in the RAW for moving from prone to kneeling (a move action), and no AoO for moving from kneeling to standing (another move action). At that point you'll be limited to a 5' adjustment and a swift action for your turn. Or, of course, you can do this across two turns. Kneeling halves the penalties for being prone, and allows use of ranged weapons.

24. - Top - End - #1554
    Ettin in the Playground

There's a way to get up from prone without provoking, available to anyone, but it's slow. There's no AoO in the RAW for moving from prone to kneeling (a move action), and no AoO for moving from kneeling to standing (another move action). At that point you'll be limited to a 5' adjustment and a swift action for your turn. Or, of course, you can do this across two turns. Kneeling halves the penalties for being prone, and allows use of ranged weapons.
    Interesting, where is this option from?

25. - Top - End - #1555
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Q698
    Psychic Warrior with Expansion.
    Any affected item that leaves your possession (including a projectile or thrown weapon) instantly returns to its normal size.
    If i pick up weapon from the groud, will it become affected by that power?

And what about using Metamorphosis with Expansion?
    Last edited by Kred; 2013-02-11 at 12:56 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1556
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 698 No.

Expansion causes instant growth when manifested, not constant or recurring growth. Picking up something after you've manifested the power doesn't do anything, either to you or to the object.

The combination of Metamorphosis and Expansion won't change the above answer.

27. - Top - End - #1557
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

A 698 No.

Expansion causes instant growth when manifested, not constant or recurring growth. Picking up something after you've manifested the power doesn't do anything, either to you or to the object.

The combination of Metamorphosis and Expansion won't change the above answer.
    My mistake, I had to separate the questions.
    Second part: if I take large creature from Metamorphosis, can i increase it size with Expansion power?

28. - Top - End - #1558
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm confused about the effect of the Hulking Hurler's "Meteor Strike" ability.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Two-Handed Hurl Trick (Ex): At 2nd level and again at 3rd level, a hulking hurler chooses one of the following tricks. In order to use any of these abilities, the hulking hurler must grip the weapon or improvised weapon in two hands and throw it as a full-round action.
    Meteor Strike: As a full-round action, a hulking hurler deals extra damage equal to twice his Strength bonus on a successful hit with a thrown weapon.

At first glance, it looks like a typo; but I'm not sure. Surely it's not 2 full-round actions?
    And the extra damage? Should that have been a substitution instead of an addition?

Q-699 A.
    If I want to use Meteor Strike, how many actions do I spend total?
    Q-699 B.
    After using Meteor Strike, how many times do I add in my strength modifier? 2 or 3.5?
    My Homebrew and Extended Signature
    Current avatar: Charza Sahlaren, by gr8artist

29. - Top - End - #1559
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

Q 700
    How would a druid wildshaped into a mammoth look like to someone with true seeing?
    Last edited by Srasy; 2013-02-11 at 05:11 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1560
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 699 A One.

The statement to use a full-round action in the Meteor Strike trick is merely redundant, not additional.

A 699 3.
    Really Throw Anything (Ex): A hulking hurler gains the Throw Anything feat (described in Chapter 3 of this book) as a bonus feat. ... Use the rules in Chapter 4 of this book to determine the amount of damage the thrown weapon does.
    The Throw Anything feat is on pages 105-106, and has no special rules for Strength modifier when throwing a melee weapon. The rules for improvised thrown weapons in Chapter 4 are on page 158, and don't specify any extra Strength multipliers for them (except for double damage on a critical hit). So the Hulking Hurler using Meteor Strike gets 1x Strength modifier normally, plus 2x Strength modifier extra from using the trick. Perhaps you're thinking of the two-handed melee damage bonus; however, there is no corresponding two-handed ranged damage bonus.
    Strength Bonus

When you hit with a melee or thrown weapon, including a sling, add your Strength modifier to the damage result.

Wielding a Weapon Two-Handed

When you deal damage with a weapon that you are wielding two-handed, you add 1½ times your Strength bonus.
    A weapon, even if thrown two-handed, is no longer wielded (with any hands) after it is thrown. When it hits, it follows the rules for thrown weapon damage.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2013-02-11 at 04:17 PM.