New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 121 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415163156106 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXII

Q72: Probably staring me in the face but can a Barbarian/Frenzied Beserker have both their Frenzy and their Rage active at the same time?

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

A 72: Yes. "The effects of frenzy stack with those from any rage ability the character may have." Last sentence of first paragraph on Frenzy.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Pixie in the Playground

if a druid drinks a potion of enlarge person and then casts Shillelagh on his club what damages does the club deal?

Enlarge person states that "Multiple magical effects that increase size do not stack" but Shililagh states "It deals damage as if it were two size categories larger" and the "as if" Is confusing me!
    I'm A Complete Noob.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm confused about the wealth/level guidelines and how they relate to items.

If, for instance, a PC owns a hand of the mage, does it count toward their wealth as 900 gold (the price to buy in a store) or 450 gold (the price at which one can sell it)?
    white text is the bestest you might want to look for it
    DeviantART

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Proud Tortoise View Post
    I'm confused about the wealth/level guidelines and how they relate to items.

If, for instance, a PC owns a hand of the mage, does it count toward their wealth as 900 gold (the price to buy in a store) or 450 gold (the price at which one can sell it)?
    It has the market value (the price needed to buy it), although if it is crafted by the character themselves or by a fellow party member, the DM may allow you to value it at its crafting cost.

Also, don't forget to number your questions, people!
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2012-11-22 at 10:19 AM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Burnicle View Post
    if a druid drinks a potion of enlarge person and then casts Shillelagh on his club what damages does the club deal?

Enlarge person states that "Multiple magical effects that increase size do not stack" but Shililagh states "It deals damage as if it were two size categories larger" and the "as if" Is confusing me!
    The "as if" means that only the base damage is modified and the stick does not actually become larger. You do not get extra reach either.

A medium creature that is Enlarged and has Shillelagh cast on its club/quarterstaff, would become Large and wield a Large club/quarterstaff that does
    the damage of a gargantuam club/quarterstaff. The creature has a reach of 10 ft. as is normal for a Large creature.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by leden View Post
    Q67: Can I command a summoned Celestial Badger to use rage or does it need to be hit first?
    Can anybody answer this?

8. - Top - End - #158

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by leden View Post
    Can anybody answer this?
    A67: Although named the same as the Barbarian equivelant it cannot voluntarily rage. It states that the creatures needs to take damage to rage.
    Unless you command the creature to bite itself or something similar it will not rage even when commanded/dominated.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mishka_shaw View Post
    A67: Although named the same as the Barbarian equivelant it cannot voluntarily rage. It states that the creatures needs to take damage to rage.
    Unless you command the creature to bite itself or something similar it will not rage even when commanded/dominated.
    Actually this is not true. The description says that if injured the badger starts to rage. It does not say that the badger cannot activate the rage voluntarily but odes not give a required action for it either, it only states that the badger cannot end the rage voluntarily.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Q73:Can the base creature of a lycanthrope have a template? Alternate Form states that it cannot be used to take the form of a creature with a template, but the lycanthrope text does not have this restriction to the base creature.
    Does this mean you can be a were-(creature with template), you just wouldn't actually be able to turn into it?
    Last edited by Necroticplague; 2012-11-22 at 11:44 AM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 73

Sure, the base creature can have a template, as long as it is one that does not change its creature type to something other than Humanoid or Giant (the only types which can be affected by Lycanthropy).

Note that the lycanthrope's animal form does not inherit this template, and is normal for whatever animal the character changes into.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2012-11-22 at 12:19 PM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

12. - Top - End - #162

NinjaGirl

Q 74 Do Spirit Shamans, as Spontaneous spellcasters, qualify for the Ashbound feat?

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

A 67 continued
    Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Actually this is not true. The description says that if injured the badger starts to rage. It does not say that the badger cannot activate the rage voluntarily but odes not give a required action for it either, it only states that the badger cannot end the rage voluntarily.
    The rules don't give an activation time for a Fighter to rage, nor is a Fighter's rage limited to only +4 Str...

A badger is given no ability to rage voluntarily, and so does not have one.

A 74
    They can select the feat. On any day in which they don't select some iteration of Summon Nature's Ally as one of their daily spells, they do not qualify for the feat, and lose access to its benefits; should they then select one the next day, they regain access.
    Last edited by Cog; 2012-11-22 at 05:39 PM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Q75 (follow up to 73): Can the base animal of a lycanthrope have a template applied to it?

Q76 (follow up to 75): Can it be advanced to a larger size (and thus better stats) by giving it more HD, as long as it stays within size restrictions?

15. - Top - End - #165
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q77. Can a +2 Weapon be changed into a +1 Weapon with a special ability, such as flaming or defending?
    Last edited by Artillery; 2012-11-22 at 11:00 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 75 No.

That's a limitation inherent in the Alternate Form special ability, which is what you get with the Lycanthrope template.
    A creature cannot use alternate form to take the form of a creature with a template.
    A 76 Probably not, but ask your DM.

All lycanthropes are subject to DM approval. As you noted, a lycanthrope based on an advanced animal would still be required to be within the size restrictions. The basic problem with a DM allowing such an advanced animal form is that the character would be promoted by an even greater amount past their fellow PCs, and creating encounters that would work with a greatly mismatched party is either tough or impossible.

A 77 No.

Weapons can be upgraded, but not downgraded.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-11-22 at 11:18 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    Q66
    does the body of the bird summoned by the vestige Malphas remain after it's slain? And do I need to kill it to resummon a new one?
    bumping this, since it got buried last page.
    I'm mostly trying to figure out if the birds act like creatures summoned by summon monster spells or not, and if I need to worry about my character leaving evidence behind(he's trying to become essentially a phantom thief)
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

18. - Top - End - #168
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 78

Are there any informations about how to make (craft) poison? i couldnt find any further information except things like the types or some example poisons. Complete Scoundrel have some craft dcs so iam sure there have to be a way to craft these things...

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Big_Joe; 2012-11-23 at 01:16 PM.
    Sur Domitryryl aeti Tenol!

19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A78 Complete Adventurer has Craft(Poisonmaking), it has the table for crafting DC and rate you can craft it.
    I would also recommend looking at "A Poisoners Handbook", it has other poisons with there crafting or harvesting DC.

Q79 With a weapon that does multiple damage types; Morningstar, dagger, etc; Do you need to specify what damage type your doing or does it do both types of damage.

This is for weapons that have a single damage die used, not weapons like Gnome Hooked Hammer.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

A 79

That depends whether a weapon does either damage type or whether it does both. The morningstar does both bludgeoning and piercing damage, with the dagger the wielder has the choice of doing either slashing or piercing damage.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q80:

How long does a Factotum's inspiration points last for? I assume that they last beyond the encounter, but is there a time limit of how long they last for? ie, 1 hour, the next time you rest, 24 hours, etc.

Q81:

When a Factotum enters into a new encounter, they receive inspiration points, do these stack with any inspiration points not previously expended or does it replace any previously held points? For balance's sake (so you can't accrue 100 points at low levels and then sneak attack for 100d6 damage) I'd argue/infer that it resets when you enter a new encounter and you lose any currently held.

Q82:

What qualifies as an encounter, for the purposes of gaining inspiration points? A level appropriate encounter? Punching a NPC? I mean, traps have a challenger rating, do they qualify? Again, I assume that if you'd get XP from the 'encounter' it would count as an encounter.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A: Neutral Good Human Cleric (2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-13
    Constitution-15
    Intelligence-13
    Wisdom-17
    Charisma-13

22. - Top - End - #172
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A80 Your inspiration points last until your next encounter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Main 3.5 FAQ
    When playing a factotum (Du14), what happens to
    inspiration points unspent at the end of the encounter? Unspent inspiration points are replaced when the factotum returns to his full number of points once an encounter ends.
    A81 A factotum enters an encounter with all of his inspiration points, at the end of an encounter he regains his spent inspiration points. You have a cap on your max inspiration points, the inspiration points given by your factotum level and if you have taken it Font of Inspiration.

A82 This quote says it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Main 3.5 FAQ
    An “encounter” is more than a combat, but it also includes any other significant event in the game such as stopping to bash down a door, navigating a rickety bridge, or dealing with a trap. If the characters have a minute or two to catch their breath and rest, assume that the last encounter has ended and all per encounter abilities refresh
    Wizards FAQs

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Q83: I swear there was a spell that allowed you to basically become invisible for one round as a swift action, but I cannot find it. Does anyone know this spell or did I imagine it? If yes, where is it from?

24. - Top - End - #174
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

A83 The Swift Invisibilty spell is found in the Spell Compendium.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 82
    Quote Originally Posted by Artillery View Post
    This quote says it well.
    Actually, from a RAW standpoint, that quote says nothing at all. You can't "assume" something that's not written in the rules. The Dungeon Master's Guide has a STARTING AN ENCOUNTER section on page 22, but doesn't have any rules regarding ending an encounter.

Officially, an encounter ends:
    1. when the DM says it ends; or
    2. when a new encounter begins.
    Anything else is somebody's house rule.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q84 What happens if a cleric becomes a deity? Does he still get his powers from another deity? What if the cleric has a higher divine rank?
    Iron Chef Trophies Trophy
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 85: Does an Energy Bow scale with size? Like if a large sized creature bought one for his/her scale would it do 3d6 force arrow damage?
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 85 No.

Hank’s Energy Bow is a specific magic weapon. It's sized only for Hank. A weapon of a different size would be a custom magic item, and it would behave whichever way the individual DM who permitted it wanted it to behave. The cost for such a custom item would also be at the whim of the individual DM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 86

Are there rules for bull rushing objects?

30. - Top - End - #180
    Banned

Q87

I want to know where is a site where people post their completed characters/character sheets that I can access and look at others' sheets? I assume something like this must exist somewhere because there are thousands of people playing d&d 3.5 constantly making new characters and some must upload the information to the internet. I'm just not sure which terms to use to search for it. Specifically, I'm NOT looking for general character builds like for example Factotum 8/Chameleon 10/Swordsage 2. I'm instead asking if there's somewhere where people who have completely filled out a character sheet with a character they've played as or plan to play as complete with skill points, inventory, equipment, special defenses, etc. all filled out in detail.

I want to see a big list of hundreds or even thousands of character sheets like this I can look at character sheets that people have made of characters so I can look over it myself to get ideas for my characters equipment/inventory/feats/alt character options/etc and steal tidbits of ideas or even whole characters. It's one thing to look at a handbook and get some good ideas, but it's generally easier to look at a completed character sheet with everything filled out and see that. Most example builds I see posted on forums just include a general level progression with maybe feats, but don't include skill points/inventory/equipment specifically at the specific level the character is at and it is that kind of information that I am looking for and want to know where to find. Thanks.