New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default What is Politics?

So, the forum rules unambiguously forbid talking about real-world religion or politics, even tangentially. Religion is pretty easy to define and avoid, but I'm not sure about politics. Given that I, at least, take the maxim that "the personal is political" to heart, if I were to apply my standard we'd be eliminating nearly every conversation about real life which clearly wasn't the intention of the rules. What is the standard here? And does it apply to historical politics like the religion ban applies to historical religions? (e.g. Is talking about Cicero's animosity towards Julius Caesar verboten? The conflict between the Tories and the Patriots in the American Revolutionary War? Truman vs. Dewey?)
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: What is Politics?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    So, the forum rules unambiguously forbid talking about real-world religion or politics, even tangentially. Religion is pretty easy to define and avoid, but I'm not sure about politics. Given that I, at least, take the maxim that "the personal is political" to heart, if I were to apply my standard we'd be eliminating nearly every conversation about real life which clearly wasn't the intention of the rules. What is the standard here? And does it apply to historical politics like the religion ban applies to historical religions? (e.g. Is talking about Cicero's animosity towards Julius Caesar verboten? The conflict between the Tories and the Patriots in the American Revolutionary War? Truman vs. Dewey?)
    I have this same problem. Some years ago when the Dow Jones Industrial Average rose past 9,000 I started the "It's over 9,000!" thread, and although the thread was deleted, I received no warnings.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Armin View Post
    I have this same problem. Some years ago when the Dow Jones Industrial Average rose past 9,000 I started the "It's over 9,000!" thread, and although the thread was deleted, I received no warnings.
    It miiiiight have just been deleted because it was an overused joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

4. - Top - End - #4
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff: As with religion, the line is real world vs. not real world. Discussions of the government in some piece of fiction, whether published or PbP, aren't a problem. Real world politics, present day or historical, are inappropriate.

Just what is politics? As with religion, think broadly. If it has to do with some branch of real world government, whether international, national, provincial, local or whatever, it's better to avoid it. It's not limited to electoral politics, political electioneering or debate, or any other subset of real world politics.

Finally, when in doubt, err on the side of caution.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex