New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Is this feat worth the prereq?

Got a dm who has some setting specific feats he's added to the game. I'm retiring my current character with plans on making a wizard and when I stumbled across this I thought it would be a good choice as it'll give me even greater versatility, but I thought I'd throw it at the board and see what they thought.

Quick Study (Special) Fr

You may exchange prepared spells with a short period of study.

Prerequisite: Int 17, Spell Mastery

Benefit: If you spend one hour of studying your spellbook, you may exchange a number of prepared spells equal to your Intelligence bonus for spells of equal or lesser level in your spellbook. Using this feat requires intense concentration. You must make a concentration check DC 15 for minor
    distractions (ex. Unexpected noises or interruptions). Physical injury or extended distractions foil the attempt and you must start over.
    Last edited by AntiTrust; 2012-11-14 at 01:51 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Is this feat worth the prereq?

You should take it. It seems fairly over powered.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Not sure how much use you'd see of it. At least in my experience, if you really need a different spell than what you have prepared, you need it right now, not an hour from now. (That sort of situation is what Scrolls are for). And if it's something that can wait an hour, it's usually something that can wait until tomorrow.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

It's a very good feat if you're in the kind of game that allows for long-range divinations followed by an hour's break and no longer. There are not many situations where you can afford to wait an hour but not eight hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not seeing a huge advantage of this over trying to pick the right spells the first time (or just some solid multipurpose spells) and leaving a few spell slots unfilled, to prep if circumstances change.

The prerequisites are ones you'd have anyway if you wanted Uncanny Forethought, so those specifically aren't too bad. But the feat for this ability seems like a waste.
    Last edited by eggs; 2012-11-14 at 04:09 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

One key reason people like spontaneous divination is because you can burn extra spells to either play 20 questions with the universe or to identify that random thing you just picked up. This feat allows you to basically be able to use random end of day utility spells and still have a nice set up. Plus it has abuse with long duration spells (or persist metamagic) to allow you to buff yourself for tomorrow with today's spells.
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently Glanror in the Political Shenanigans campaign.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rankar View Post
    *I may not teach the paladin communism and the concept of the greater good.
    *It is not within my rights to overthrow the established monarchy using the communist paladin.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'd grab uncanny forethought instead.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I like the feat. I'd take it, as my wizards never seem to have the right spells prepared, and I seem to have an inability to leave slots empty. I guess it depends on your level, though. By higher levels, I'm sure you could find a more convenient way of doing that, and at low levels, it's not that useful because you haven't got that many spells anyway. If you can't find another feat to pick, I think it might be worth taking.
    Quote Originally Posted by inuyasha
    Fates I think you are a psychotic genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand
    Fates, you are a god amongst men. Like, the god of bad luck.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

It's a cute trick, but it seems like a wasted feat to me. Just leave a few slots (up to a quarter of your allotment, IIRC) open to do a 15 minute prep when the situation comes up.

@Suddo: divining the future doesn't work. There are only a handful of creatures in the game that can reliably read more than a few moments into the future and none of them make viable PC's unless you're playing in an epic campaign. Even those creatures would have a hard time divining their own futures.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I agree with the above. If it took a minute or no time it would be crazy good. As it stands it's really hard to get any use out of it at all. Most dungeon runs are less than an hour. And in the wilderness you get ambushed before you have a chance to do anything. I could think of a couple minor tricks to do with it but nothing worth even close to 2 feats.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2012-11-14 at 08:12 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

It'd be worth it if it were faster than an hour but I wouldn't take it the way it is.
    "The icy cold fingers of reason have choked the life out of this thread and despite all logic it keeps squirming", nope, it's dead.

"Occasionally I'd just like someone to quote me in their signature"
    -Invader

Epic threads with awesome revelations.

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

It's worth taking if your DM is the sort who puts in one-way gates into outer planes.

Your "Fire Resistance" spell runs out, after all.