New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Iaijatsu Focus

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Iaijatsu Focus

So I just wanted to make sure I had this right.
    is you have 40 available skill ranks and an item familiar, you can get a +20 on a skill (Iaijatsu). Then a masterwork tool is another +2. An 18 charisma and a +2 cloak of charisma is +5. skill focus or circlet of persuasion is +3. Eternal wand of Guidance of the avatar in a wand chamber is +20. So this should add up to +50, which'll give you the +9d6 every time, I think.

From here, again, just to make sure I have this idea right, you'd use sapphire nightmare blade to make the target flat footed. You'd also use the the gnomish quickrazor along with the mid level iaijatsu master ability, right? So this seems like it'd be around (with two attacks) 18d6 + 90 before strength or anything. The +90 is 'cus the Iaij. master gives +cha to ALL dice. Now this is obviously still low-op, but I'm going to be playing in a low-op game, and this seems like a fun-ish concept. Considering I haven't really pursued it before, I wanted to make sure I had it all right.

Its ~150 damage.
    With a razor.
    by a gnome.
    gnomes.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Iaijatsu Focus

Might as well pick up stuff like Nymph's Kiss as well for the bonus to all Charisma based skills. Just for an extra little bonus.
    Currently sick as a dog and unable to focus properly. Will heal soon.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

sadly, nymph's kiss is a circumstance bonus, like the tool.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Irk View Post
    sadly, nymph's kiss is a circumstance bonus, like the tool.
    Circumstance bonuses stack. Still, I think you are leaving the realm of Low-Op, depending on what your fellow players are doing.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2013-10-09 at 10:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd say that as soon as you start looking at an Item Familiar (or even IF+Quickrazors) you've left low op. This might be a suboptimal concept (though I'm assuming you'll be solidly tier 4+, pushing 3 depending on your skills and stuff) but you're already using most of the tricks available to you. High op of an underpowered character isn't low op.
    Last edited by QuickLyRaiNbow; 2013-10-10 at 01:14 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

I would say that is still low op as much as power leap attack shock trooper lion totem barbarian is low op.
    Still, probably easier to get a +20 ring of ijitsu focus over an item familiar. Just a thought. Rules for that are in MIC iirc.
    4/10/2013 is this first day I used blue text. Isn't that soooo cool
    Quirble muffins - with credit to Xervous and myself. Now with 50 cent royalties
    I just learned about dawn of worlds and its so cool! Anyone who likes group worldbuilding, check it out!
    Official member of the Rudisplorker guild, the new guy of the bunch. All hail Orcus!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Just in passing, but if you get a maxed-out spell of Divine Insight active on you when you make the roll, that's another +15 in Insight bonus on the skill check.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

There are a few other ways to wriggle in a boost or two. There's a feat in the Book of Abominable Game Design, otherwise known as Complete Psionics that lets you add a +2 to any 3 skills while you maintain a psionic focus.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Circumstance bonuses stack. Still, I think you are leaving the realm of Low-Op, depending on what your fellow players are doing.
    To clarify, bonuses from different circumstance bonuses stack(you can have all the masterwork tools in the world but it is still only a +2). And I would agree that his is not low op, medium or medium-high in my opinion.
    Last edited by Ruethgar; 2013-10-10 at 10:15 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruethgar View Post
    To clarify, bonuses from different circumstance bonuses stack(you can have all the masterwork tools in the world but it is still only a +2). And I would agree that his is not low op, medium or medium-high in my opinion.
    Masterwork tools specifically say they don't stack, yes.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Circumstance bonuses stack if they're from different circumstances. Having a masterwork tool is one circumstance. Having a hot girlfriend is a different circumstance. So they stack.

And the eternal wand of Guidance of the Avatar has a few problems. First, it's a divine spell, and eternal wands can only be arcane. Second, it's only useable twice per day, and I'd think you'd want to use your IF damage more often than that. Third, it takes a standard action, which is time you could better spend making more attacks.

Also, you appear to be spending skill ranks on an Item Familiar, but I didn't see you mention putting any ranks in the skill yourself. You're kind of missing the low-hanging fruit.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Circumstance bonuses stack if they're from different circumstances. Having a masterwork tool is one circumstance. Having a hot girlfriend is a different circumstance. So they stack.
    So to speak.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Having a masterwork tool is one circumstance. Having a hot girlfriend is a different circumstance.
    But being a master tool having a master tool doesn't stack but are both requierd to get the hot girlfriend which then stacks
    4/10/2013 is this first day I used blue text. Isn't that soooo cool
    Quirble muffins - with credit to Xervous and myself. Now with 50 cent royalties
    I just learned about dawn of worlds and its so cool! Anyone who likes group worldbuilding, check it out!
    Official member of the Rudisplorker guild, the new guy of the bunch. All hail Orcus!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

So what you're saying is, nymphs are stacked?
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics