New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default PF:Tips for a strength focused bard

So i made a bard for my character and on accident i put my 18 into strength instead of charisma. I have never played bard before and my DM didn't let me redo my stats.. so i have to roll with it.

My stats:

Str: 18
    Dex: 11
    Con: 14
    Int: 12
    Wis: 14
    Cha: 12

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: PF:Tips for a strength focused bard

You've got decent Con so I'd suggest go human or one of the 'halves', picking a performance that doesn't require an instrument(eg. dance) and going to town with a meelee bard.
    Now, you DON'T want to be right up front but you can be something like a flank buddy/skirmisher.
    You can get a greatsword and go something like Power attack>Cleave(but not the next one)>Improved sunder( aim for stuff like an archers quiver or a wizards spell component pouch)
    Or you can try using a whip and taking Combat Expertise>Imp. Trip> Greater Trip. Not as consistent as the former choice but really good when it does work and you have 15' range leaving you safe from anything smaller than huge.
    Arcane Strike is a good bonus that stacks with pretty much anything and I suggest getting it the second you have a feat slot free.
    Despite your low Int, I'd suggest putting every favored class bonus can into hp.
    Last edited by marcielle; 2012-11-14 at 08:28 PM.
    'Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!' - Johnson, Cave.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Suicide and reroll a character you actually want?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

If you are playing pure PF I don't have much for you - no experience. But if 3.5 (especially ToB) is allowed look at doing a "Bardblade" - Bard/Warblade multiclass. Or a Bard/Barbarian or Bard/Fighter.

Basic point: with those stats, shoot for a melee bard of one type or another. Inspire Courage is always a nice bonus.

5. - Top - End - #5

I agree with the Performance that doesn't need an instrument (such as singing), grab a big weapon and a whip (you got the proficiency for free and it's quite good for using maneuvers without spending feats).

Other than that, your spells won't have good DCs, so focus on buff and utility spells; your normal Bard abilities will also be pretty lame, so the Arcane Duelist archetype helps with that and possibly mix in some levels of Dragon Disciple as well if you want to stay "only" a Bard instead of dipping in a martial class.

EDIT: Is your race set?

If not, you could use it to improve your Cha a bit, or maybe grab Half-Orc or Half-Elf for a decent striking weapon (probably a Falchion), I think that Half-Elf is slightly better for Arcane Training.
    Last edited by Larpus; 2012-11-14 at 10:06 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I am already lv.4 and my char is a human. I am using a rapier for a weapon.

7. - Top - End - #7

Get a level or two of Cavalier and go for Battle Herald?

Base Attack Bonus: +4.

Special: Challenge and inspire courage class features.

Skills: Diplomacy 5 ranks, Intimidate 5 ranks, Perform (oratory) 5 ranks, Profession (soldier) 2 ranks.
    Would get you d10 hit dice and full BAB for wading into the fray.

edit: Go for the Standard Bearer archetype...you won't be advancing the mount much anyway, and it gets you the Banner ability right off which stacks with the Battle Herald version.
    Last edited by TheTick; 2012-11-14 at 10:31 PM.