New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The End of LFG

1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Default The End of LFG

I have good news, haters and fans of LFG! Ryan Sohmer has decided to end his series!

In a recent strip of Looking for Group, Richard was furiously stalling the plot (which is already marching at a snail's pace) with his usual zany antics, ie. doing horrible things to innocent people while no one tries to stop him. During his attempts to put out a fire, Richard manages the task of blowing up one of the unnamed world's three moons!

No doubt the resulting apocalypse from flaming shards of the moon — not to mention the inferred ecological disaster created by the destruction of a moon — will result in the deaths of the main cast, bringing about the end of Looking for Group.

I, for one, am pleased. I've always been at best a casual reader of LFG; I've kept up with the storyline out of habit, despite the fact the story has been stuck on Namek for God knows how long. But now the author has made the brave decision to end its plodding, interminable storyline. Well done!

Spoiler
    Show
    No, I'm not serious. I'm just remarking on the stupidity of blowing up a moon for a gag. Dragon Ball Abridged puts it best:

"We've got breaking news that the Earth's moon has been destroyed. While long-term environmental effects can only be guessed at, preliminary speculation puts the immediate death toll from tidal effects alone at the hundreds of millions!"

AND WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE MOVE SOME KIND OF PLOT FORWARD?
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2012-11-15 at 02:43 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The End of LFG

LFG didn't end years ago?

Huh. Who knew.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

I honestly stopped reading right around the time when kale and benny had some sort of fight after they did something involving looking for some book. It just lost my interest.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I stopped reading when plot depended on incredible logistic stupidity on the part of the bad guys.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2012-11-15 at 03:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I think I stopped reading when main character elf guy hooked up with orc mage girl. I don't think it was even a conscious thing, I just was kinda bored and never bothered to go back and look at it.

So... it's still going then. That's nice I guess.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hopefully next time he'll blow up the sun, and himself with it. That comic could use a little apocalypse.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

I don't want LFG to die. When someone complains about OOTS posting schedule or its art style, I need an example of how neither regular updates nor detailed art makes a webcomic good.

And LFG is about perfect for that role. It is regularly posted, professionally drawn, and boring as hell. About the only time I said to myself "that wasn't half bad" is when they did one-strip gags.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

oh come now, it's not that bad. We're not talking Dominic Deegan here :p
    The Creatos are pretty cool, and the comic doesn't take itself too seriously, but has a pretty decent plot- it's easy to follow, the art is good, and so long as you remember that the whole sory is set inside of an MMO/D&D/some kind of game system as evidenced by the early comics, you can roll with things like a moon exploding.

Besides, how can you hate a comic with such Style?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Man, lazy references to pop culture does not a good comic make.

Sohmer writes Richard as he would write Deadpool (which he's been begging to do for years, making the fact that Chris Hastings got picked over him hilarious). Frankly, the comic suffers for it.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I think my favourite pop culture reference done was when Mythbusters appeared as craftsmen the protagonists took over the shop of in an emergency late one night. That was subtle enough to be like 'Hey, I recognize those people!' without smashing it over your head.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Acanous View Post
    I don't hate it, I just find it boring. Besides, copying the meme du jour isn't stylish, it's redundant.

I agree the art is good; whoever writes it should team up with a competent plot writer.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

So, reading from that comic onwards to the current one, I gotta say...

...that throwing in strip-long gags that don't fit into the current event, nor advance the story or characters in any way, as well the casual destruction of something like the moon show me well that the comic is far from how it was before. It's a little closer to how it was way at the beginning, but because it happened after all the development of the rest of the comic, that's a bad thing.

The art has gotten better. The writing first went up, but apparently has gone down further.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

I like the one-piece gags every now and then. I enjoy the art work. I love the hilarious of antics of Richard the Apparently-Not-Undead Warlock.

I just hope we could get back to the plot.
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I remember a thread from a long time ago saying that Richard was ratehr lowe powered and such. Do you think blowing up a MOON is enough to convinvce people that he is very powerful?

I agree though that I wish the plot would move along a bit faster.

15. - Top - End - #15

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by North_Ranger View Post
    I like the one-piece gags every now and then. I enjoy the art work. I love the hilarious of antics of Richard the Apparently-Not-Undead Warlock.
    Hilarious antics? Richard has not done anything hilarious ever since that "you all saw it! That orphanage attacked me" bit. That was done early and been downhill ever since.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by fwiffo View Post
    Hilarious antics? Richard has not done anything hilarious ever since that "you all saw it! That orphanage attacked me" bit. That was done early and been downhill ever since.
    I think my favorite was the time he roasted the gnomes head and used his hand as a puppet to speak for him. It was right as kale was trying to figure out the grey area between good and evil. "That was unquestionably evil right?" "Also amusing."

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

One's enjoyment of this comic probably comes down to whether or not you find Richard to be funny, all in all.

I don't.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

18. - Top - End - #18

Meh. When LFG first came out I never liked Richard antics. They just seemed to be a toned down version of Axel from Ansem Retort(Warning. This site is offensive. In more ways then one.) and BM from 8-bit theatre. I liked the animation that they did a little bit, but it wasn't soon after that that I just... forgot about LFG.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

It's like a boring Dominic Deegan.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

I didn't read too much of it, but my impression was that it was basically an 8-Bit Theater that took itself seriously. The problem is that 8-Bit Theater isn't something that can be taken seriously, so Looking For Group ended up trying to both be comedic and serious at the same time and not really doing either right.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    I didn't read too much of it, but my impression was that it was basically an 8-Bit Theater that took itself seriously. The problem is that 8-Bit Theater isn't something that can be taken seriously, so Looking For Group ended up trying to both be comedic and serious at the same time and not really doing either right.
    I agree, I liked the very start of it, it had a ton of gags, it was clearly a satire of every mmo I have ever played, and it was amusing to read. Then they turned it into a freaking drama with random richard related humor and it got kinda stupid.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

I started reading quite late in and I felt the reverse. The drama was initially OK, but the references and parody mostly got in the way.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

I knew without looking at the pages to either side that that reference would be disruptively and inelegantly shoehorned in. I wasn't disappointed.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    One's enjoyment of this comic probably comes down to whether or not you find Richard to be funny, all in all.
    He's a total ripoff of Black Mage, except that Black Mage does actually manage to be funny (this is mostly because Richard gets away with pretty much everything and Black Mage almost never does; the latter is funnier).
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Black Mage was funny because for all his power, he was also pretty dumb and completely incompetent, so he failed at everything except causing massive devastation. Also, horrible things kept happening to him and he deserved every single one. Richard? Not so much.
    I stopped reading LFG ages ago, and I'm honestly a little surprised it's still going. I gave up on it because the author's approach to gags and references extends to everything else - he just throws in story elements without any attempt to make them actually work.
    Last edited by Morty; 2012-11-17 at 05:14 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground

This could possibly be the greatest nihilist comic in the history of webcomics.

Random accident happens and destroys world. No story line is completed. The End.

I stopped reading a long time ago. The last memorable thing I remember was mini Richard riding some sort of small beast. I read significantly after that, but that was the last time I found it interesting.
    Also known as Jarbis

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Well, Richard always was a blackhole sue.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Richard is evil Ryan Sohmer. Rayne Summers is Ryan Sohmer without inhibitions.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

To be honest, I felt like the comic was heading toward it's end during what seemed like it was supposed to be a climactic battle between Cale and... that elf guy, here. Except it felt rushed.

And now it feels like it's sort of become a zombie- It's like they've forgotten most of the original plot, and now it's just going to keep the money flowing. Both this page and the most recent page have just felt like, "I was bored, so here's a drawing of Richard doing something crazy." Sure, Richard's done stupid stuff like that before, but then it at least felt like a reaction to the plot. Here... It's just... dumb.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Back in the day, I liked LFG, it had a good mix of comedy and plot, interesting characters, good art. But eventually it tilted too heavily to the comedic side of things, the plot advanced very slowly, and the pop-culture references became too thick. Probably no coincidence that this started happening as Sohmer got busy with additional things like family, a comic book store, The Gutters webcomic, ect.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.